Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction XXXVII

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction XXXVII

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-14, 07:38 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by RUOkie
my schnauzers are tough girls. It is hard to know if they are hurt because of it. One had an abscess on her back a few yrs back and didn't bat an eye.
+1 on Cocker Spaniels. They take no sh*t from anyone or any dog.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 07-29-14, 07:44 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker

Another bothersome aspect is the "industry insider" saying that not all CF bike quality control may be up to snuff as compared to the jetliner industry. Maybe so, but that casts no automatic doubts about the quality of the bikes. And doing business with those folks who do their job best has always been the smart thing to do.
Aerospace quality control is insanely stringent. Even automobile quality control pales in comparison. To compare the two is wrong since bikes (and cars) don't leave the ground and hurdle through the air at 30,000 feet while traveling hundreds of miles per hour unless @Heathpack is riding them.
Old 07-29-14, 07:46 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28577 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,313 Posts
Will Addiction XXXVII reach 6K?
Old 07-29-14, 07:51 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,735 Times in 2,758 Posts
Originally Posted by sbxx1985
Hey LAJ (and psimet) - I heard today Mike Z was retiring from his presidential role. I rode with him late last season and we talked about his crash at Firestone. Apparently, things are lingering and he's reassessed priorities. Feel bad for the guy.
Yessir. When Troy called me about Josh, he passed that along. I saw the writing on the wall when I rode with Mike as well, as laying sod, and building "stuff", was high on his priority list. That's cool, and believe me, I get it.
Old 07-29-14, 08:04 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by Velo Vol

Maybe.
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,454 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
We did not talk about it very long. I keep bringing it up with him though and then immediately saying I'm not ready, so we never have much of a conversation. My impression is that he thinks all the crank and pedal-based power meters are over priced and not as accurate and/or reliable, I'm not sure which. I was thinking there was no point in having an extensive conversation about it before I was ready to leap because the technology would invariably change. He did admit though that once you pay for someone to install the Powertap, it's not as much of a bargain. But I had the impression that right now for someone like me, it's his opinion that the Powertap is the most practical recommendation, taking into account accuracy, reliability, and cost.

I told Jim about the guy I met on the train liking his Garmin Vector and his response was to totally pass on the Vector, it was totally no good, he didnt even want to talk about it. He was so exasperated by the very idea of the Vector, it was kind of funny. But I did talk to the guy on the train quite a long time about his, he is a racer, previously had a Powertap, now has multiple bikes. He felt like he gets great data from the Vector, that is is a great solution for him, because he only needed the one device for all his bikes.

For something like a power meter, I look at it as a one time expense. Its not as if cost doesn't matter, but if I'm generating data that is useful to me 5 days a week x say 46 weeks/yr x say 5 years, a $500 price differential for the whole package (meter + any installation costs) is only about 50 cents per ride. Not a deal breaker either way. I just know nothing about power meter training, so if I'm on the Madone once or twice a week, is it a big deal to have no power data for those rides? I suspect it would be, when I did my little test ride of the bike rack to carry my water the other day, I forgot my heart rate monitor. OMG. I was in a panic, almost went back home for it. Until I remembered I wasn't on any kind of training ride, it didn't matter what my heart rate was. I continued on but still felt a little uncomfortable to have a blank field on my Garmin display.
I have had failures of all the power meter systems and I know racers that own PTs and have had problems so I do not buy the PT is more reliable. At this point in time, the PT is probably the cheapest PM solution.

IMO, the place to start is read Training and Racing with a Power Meter by Allen and Coggan. https://www.amazon.com/Training-Racin.../dp/1934030554

They discuss different power meters and how they work. And they take you through how to use it.
RPK79
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by RPK79
Maybe.
If we all do our part.
Old 07-29-14, 08:07 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
I have had failures of all the power meter systems and I know racers that own PTs and have had problems so I do not buy the PT is more reliable. At this point in time, the PT is probably the cheapest PM solution.

IMO, the place to start is read Training and Racing with a Power Meter by Allen and Coggan. Training and Racing with a Power Meter: Hunter Allen, Andrew Coggan: 9781934030554: Amazon.com: Books

They discuss different power meters and how they work. And they take you through how to use it.
Just downloaded it to my Kindle. Thank you much.
Old 07-29-14, 08:09 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11954 Post(s)
Liked 6,611 Times in 3,469 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
Yeah, yeah, Billy will survive.

More importantly, what sort of cheesecake?
THIS is the homemade cheesecake Mrs BD used to reel me in 9 years ago: a chocolate mocha with crushed oreo crust.

As dastardly ruthless a tactic as has ever been devised.

Should be outlawed in the same vein as chemical warfare. Where's the Geneva convention when you need it?
Old 07-29-14, 08:10 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Heathpack, if the rear hub power meter you would get were compatible with either 10 or 11 speed (spacer needed for 10 speed), then all you would have to do to move the wheel from bike to bike would be to change out the cassette. 10 speed cassette for the Trek, 11 speed cassette for the BMC. Easy enough. It would not be necessary to equip the Trek with 11 speed drivetrain parts.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 07-29-14, 08:12 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
2 More weeks and I can get back on the bike.... But it was totally worth it. My Lynskey wasn't enough so I went for the Ti eye socket. Take that, weight weenies.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
147375.jpg (7.1 KB, 22 views)
Old 07-29-14, 08:20 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28577 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,313 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPete
2 More weeks and I can get back on the bike
Why not today?
Old 07-29-14, 08:26 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,454 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
I don't think I can just swap wheels. The Madone is 10-speed vs the BMC is 11-speed. So I'm not going to just swap wheels for a little ride, right?

I can upgrade Madone to 11-speed with all new parts for $700 (which I'm not planning on doing, but it's not 100% out of the question), then have only 1 power meter which if I went with the power tap would be around $1700 for the PM + changes to Madone. BUT the Madone has the carbon wheels, which I like but I don't think I'd want on the BMC, the braking is just so much better on the BMC with the regular rims, the descents are much more fun. Or I guess I could look into the carbon wheels with alloy rims that @Hermes mentioned but I'm sure that's pretty pricey.

Or I could go with two power taps for $2000 and keep the 10-speed gearing on the Madone, and use both sets of wheels.

Or I could go with the Garmin Vector pedals for around $1700, have to change pedals between ride & probably have a greater risk of damage if I have a crash.

So no matter what I do, the cost is within $300 for the various options. Honestly the two power taps is most expensive but seems like the easiest option.

H
I agree with @halfspeed.

My wife is a total power junky. When we get home, the first thing she does is download her power data and start analyzing the results and making notes in the software. She hates not having power data which is one of the reasons we purchased the Vector. I do not have any experience with Stages. It would not have worked for us at the track and on the tandem.

Also, wheel solutions evolve. For example, the trend is for wider rims and 11 speed technology. That will probably change in the future too and the PowerTap locks you into a wheel faced with an expensive swap out cost if you want to upgrade wheels. So life cycle cost of a power meter is also a consideration when evaluating which solution is the best.

All the power meter solutions have deals somewhere so getting a new one for less than retail is possible.
Old 07-29-14, 08:27 AM
LAJ
So it is

Originally Posted by BillyD
THIS is the homemade cheesecake Mrs BD used to reel me in 9 years ago: a chocolate mocha with crushed oreo crust.

As dastardly ruthless a tactic as has ever been devised.

Should be outlawed in the same vein as chemical warfare. Where's the Geneva convention when you need it?
I would even try a slice of that, and I have shown to have some discipline in regards to diet. Mrs. BD's game is good.
Old 07-29-14, 08:29 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Why not today?
4 weeks ago, I had surgery for an orbital blowout fracture of my left eye. I was out on the mountain bike and took a pretty minor spill, but after I landed the bike was still spinning through the air and some part of it (pedal or saddle, I think) hit me right in the left eye. My Rudys saved my eyeball from disaster but the eye still took enough force that it fractured a couple of the bones in my eye socket.

And because they have this thing where I need to see to do my job, I'm not messing around and following my surgeon's instructions to the letter. That means no riding for 6 weeks postop, so Aug 16th is the earliest I can ride, run, or do anything else that would be otherwise jarring or require straining. I'm not allowed to blow my nose for 3 months either--that's a fun one. But so far, so good--I've been back to operating for a couple weeks now and things are healing up well.
Old 07-29-14, 08:29 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by LAJ
I would even try a slice of that, and I have shown to have some discipline in regards to diet. Mrs. BD's game is good.
When it comes to sweets I usually pass. My wife likes to bake and I feel bad because it usually ends up getting tossed out because I just do not have a sweet tooth at all. I prefer salty snacks.
Old 07-29-14, 08:30 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

4 weeks ago, I had surgery for an orbital blowout fracture of my left eye. I was out on the mountain bike and took a pretty minor spill, but after I landed the bike was still spinning through the air and some part of it (pedal or saddle, I think) hit me right in the left eye. My Rudys saved my eyeball from disaster but the eye still took enough force that it fractured a couple of the bones in my eye socket.

And because they have this thing where I need to see to do my job, I'm not messing around and following my surgeon's instructions to the letter. That means no riding for 6 weeks postop, so Aug 16th is the earliest I can ride, run, or do anything else that would be otherwise jarring or require straining. I'm not allowed to blow my nose for 3 months either--that's a fun one. But so far, so good--I've been back to operating for a couple weeks now and things are healing up well.
So you're not even on the trainer? I would be going crazy.
Old 07-29-14, 08:31 AM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
2 More weeks and I can get back on the bike.... But it was totally worth it. My Lynskey wasn't enough so I went for the Ti eye socket. Take that, weight weenies.

With all the CF talk around here lately, I'm glad to hear your chose more Ti! The results of a CF eye socket could have been "unfortunate".
Old 07-29-14, 08:32 AM
LAJ
So it is

Amazing, DrPete. I hope all goes well.
Old 07-29-14, 08:33 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by PhotoJoe
With all the CF talk around here lately, I'm glad to hear your chose more Ti! The results of a CF eye socket could have been "unfortunate".
...but, steel is real.
Old 07-29-14, 08:35 AM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
And because they have this thing where I need to see to do my job, I'm not messing around and following my surgeon's instructions to the letter.
And speaking for all of your future patients....THANK YOU!

Glad you're doing well.
Old 07-29-14, 08:35 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
So you're not even on the trainer? I would be going crazy.
I might be cleared for the trainer today. Problem is that it doesn't take much exertion for the face to get flushed, and while things are healing that's swelling that needs to be avoided. And as an added bonus I've been on Prednisone since the injury to prevent swelling, which increases my appetite and makes most people gain weight. It's awesome, let me tell ya. I may not be able to work out at all, but at least the meds will fatten me up even faster than normal.
Old 07-29-14, 08:46 AM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
...but, steel is real.
You went there? You actually went there? OK, you made me do it.

Yah, but Ti Eyes are Fly
Old 07-29-14, 08:46 AM
rpenmanparker 

When it comes to sweets I usually pass. My wife likes to bake and I feel bad because it usually ends up getting tossed out because I just do not have a sweet tooth at all. I prefer salty snacks.
That often changes as you get older. I find myself taking a spoonful of jam after lunch, just to finish off with something sweet.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 07-29-14, 08:47 AM
RUOkie
Scarlet Knight

Bikes: 2009 ORBEA Onix Rival. 2012 Felt Breed, 1999 Raleigh 500

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts

vascular surgeons need to see? pshaw...

When I wrecked my MTB a few weeks ago, all I could think about when I was lying in that ditch (other than "you are wet and unhurt, get up") was how much of an idiot I was. I need my hands and my brain to work!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.