Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction XXXVII

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction XXXVII

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-14, 09:58 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,734 Times in 2,758 Posts
Mrs. LAJ doesn't put all of her energies into her toxic garden.

Old 07-29-14, 09:59 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13694 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 2,499 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
On what?
Several things.
Old 07-29-14, 10:03 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I never thought that you'd be one to argue against having boatloads of data.
Not at all. Just trying to help @Heatpack devise a strategy for economically embarking on power training.

Ung. Power good!

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 07-29-14, 10:04 AM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
THIS is the homemade cheesecake Mrs BD used to reel me in 9 years ago: a chocolate mocha with crushed oreo crust.

As dastardly ruthless a tactic as has ever been devised.

Should be outlawed in the same vein as chemical warfare. Where's the Geneva convention when you need it?
My birthday cheese cake sampler pales in comparison. You and the missus are alright in my book (even with your irrational fear of plastic).
Old 07-29-14, 10:06 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26389 Post(s)
Liked 10,365 Times in 7,197 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Not at all. Just trying to help @Heatpack devise a strategy for economically embarking on power training.
Old 07-29-14, 10:06 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Who?
Emeril Lagasse. Google him.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 07-29-14, 10:08 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts

Ung. Power good!
Ha! For her, power would be good and I can tell that, once bitten, she would want it on all of her rides.
Old 07-29-14, 10:09 AM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Bam!!!
Old 07-29-14, 10:14 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,454 Posts
Okay. And you have to ride that way every time? If you have more than one bike it doesn't make sense to have one set up for power training and the other for something else like race day, or group rides, etc. ? Why do all your bikes have to have power meters.
The simple answer is that it is more fun and the technical answer is to keep track of training load. The power meter just measures torque via a strain gage. Torque is converted to instantaneous power by calculation. The information is transmitted to a head unit that records at a time interval, the torque, rpm and power data.

After the ride, the "power data" in the head unit can be downloaded into a computer equipped with special software to manipulate the data. Training Peaks, Golden Cheetah (also a strip club in Atlanta) or Cycling Analytics are software programs that generate graphs and make calculations based upon the recorded data.

A useful feature of that software group is the performance manager. It calculates a daily stress score based upon the ride and time spent in different power zones giving a higher score to power zones above lactate threshold. The score is further manipulated into a 42 day moving average and a 7 day moving average to calculate your short term and long term stress. The difference between the two moving averages is the training stress balance. So the more short term stress one incurs compared to the longer term stress the more fatigue.

Without power, there is no training stress score and the performance manager assumes it to be zero. So if I go on an easy ride, my score will be low and it get counted into my long and short term training stress.

This is useful when planning training blocks where one builds for 2 to 3 weeks and then rests for a week.

Event data from races or charity rides or centuries are very interesting to analyze post mortem and contribute heavily to athlete training load.

I suggested to @Heathpack, that she would benefit from a PM.

She is highly motivated to succeed in her cycling with clear goals, is one very smart cookie, is highly technical in her work and IMO, would benefit from the instantaneous measurement of power and energy during her rides for pacing and post mortem analysis and keeping track of training load. But PMs and electronics are not for everyone. YMMV.
Old 07-29-14, 10:14 AM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Ung. Power good!
Now she's packing heat?! Until I heard this, I was only mildly intimidated by this climbing animal who understand how to anesthetize an elephant, but now that I know she's packing heat, too........!
Old 07-29-14, 10:19 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28577 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,313 Posts
Another station has a good looking meteorologist on the weekends, but you basically have to turn off your brain to tolerate her.

The station had live coverage Sunday night when storms came through (the head guy came in to help her) and she kept talking about how there was "tons" of lightning outside.
Old 07-29-14, 10:25 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...a much more productive outlet would be exchanging Ratatouille Nicoise recipes, because the season is here,
and there are huge piles of eggplants, peppers, tomatoes, onions, and garlic everywhere I look at the farmers market.
Don't do it! We will get in trouble with Wooshie
Old 07-29-14, 10:27 AM
LAJ
So it is

We're always in trouble with WHOOOSSHHH.
Old 07-29-14, 10:31 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by Hermes
The simple answer is that it is more fun and the technical answer is to keep track of training load. The power meter just measures torque via a strain gage. Torque is converted to instantaneous power by calculation. The information is transmitted to a head unit that records at a time interval, the torque, rpm and power data.

After the ride, the "power data" in the head unit can be downloaded into a computer equipped with special software to manipulate the data. Training Peaks, Golden Cheetah (also a strip club in Atlanta) or Cycling Analytics are software programs that generate graphs and make calculations based upon the recorded data.

A useful feature of that software group is the performance manager. It calculates a daily stress score based upon the ride and time spent in different power zones giving a higher score to power zones above lactate threshold. The score is further manipulated into a 42 day moving average and a 7 day moving average to calculate your short term and long term stress. The difference between the two moving averages is the training stress balance. So the more short term stress one incurs compared to the longer term stress the more fatigue.

Without power, there is no training stress score and the performance manager assumes it to be zero. So if I go on an easy ride, my score will be low and it get counted into my long and short term training stress.

This is useful when planning training blocks where one builds for 2 to 3 weeks and then rests for a week.

Event data from races or charity rides or centuries are very interesting to analyze post mortem and contribute heavily to athlete training load.

I suggested to @Heathpack, that she would benefit from a PM.

She is highly motivated to succeed in her cycling with clear goals, is one very smart cookie, is highly technical in her work and IMO, would benefit from the instantaneous measurement of power and energy during her rides for pacing and post mortem analysis and keeping track of training load. But PMs and electronics are not for everyone. YMMV.
Not at all knocking PMs, just wondering if there are necessary on every bike in the stable. Your post suggests that one really into it keeps a running total of power expenditure over time. That would necessitate having the PM on every bike.

Just learning here. Thanks.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 07-29-14, 10:31 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Heathpack
Don't do it! We will get in trouble with Wooshie
...we both know that you have used your "system" to wrap Woooshiepants around your virtual little finger. And I am safe hiding behind you. #waffles_rule
Old 07-29-14, 10:33 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28577 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,313 Posts
and there are huge piles of eggplants, peppers, tomatoes, onions, and garlic everywhere I look at the farmers market.
What happened to the drought?
Old 07-29-14, 10:36 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Not at all knocking PMs, just wondering if there are necessary on every bike in the stable. Your post suggests that one really into it keeps a running total of power expenditure over time. That would necessitate having the PM on every bike.

Just learning here. Thanks.
Most PMs hop fairly easily from one bike to another. Moving my PowerTap between my road and tri bikes is a matter of switching the rear wheel. Sure, it's convenient to have one on every bike to save you those 2-10 minutes, but that gets to be a really expensive convenience.

I personally think that a PM is a great tool for pacing during training and racing, and probably most importantly as a tool to show you that you're not always working as hard as you think you are.

Last edited by DrPete; 07-29-14 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-29-14, 10:48 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by DrPete
Most PMs hop fairly easily from one bike to another. Moving my PowerTap between my road and tri bikes is a matter of switching the rear wheel. Sure, it's convenient to have one on every bike to save you those 2-10 minutes, but that gets to be a really expensive convenience.

I personally think that a PM is a great tool for pacing during training and racing, and probably most importantly as a tool to show you that you're not always working as hard as you think you are.
No doubt, but the issue here is one 10-speed rear hub and one 11-speed. As I said, the PM could be compatible with both, and then the only additional step would be to change out the cassette and add/subtract the spacer.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 07-29-14, 10:57 AM
LAJ
So it is

Swapping my Quarg from bike to bike is considerably less work than swapping a cassette. The two BB30/PF30 bikes have the cadence magnet installed, and there is no other set-up needed.
Old 07-29-14, 11:02 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22578 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPete
I personally think that a PM is a great tool for pacing during training and racing, and probably most importantly as a torture device to show you that you're not always working as hard as you think you are.
fixed for accuracy.
Old 07-29-14, 11:03 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Yessir. When Troy called me about Josh, he passed that along. I saw the writing on the wall when I rode with Mike as well, as laying sod, and building "stuff", was high on his priority list. That's cool, and believe me, I get it.
Yup - he emailed me a couple of weeks ago about it.

Old 07-29-14, 11:06 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
What happened to the drought?
...we gave all the remaining water to the farmers so we could continue to eat ratatouille.
Old 07-29-14, 11:18 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...just to revisit briefly my expose in the recent cabron fiber dustup thread, in which I completely blew the lid off
the conspiracy to keep the origin of these bikes secret, and in an internet journalistic tour de force revealed their
manufacturing center as a space within the hollow earth, populated by a race of dark dwarves:

Two new mysterious craters emerge in Siberia, deepening giant hole saga - The Washington Post

“I flew by helicopter to inspect this funnel on July 19,” local lawmaker Mikhail Lapsui told the Siberian Times, saying it looks much like the original crater, only smaller, with a small ice lake at its base. “There is also ground outside, as if it was thrown as a result of an underground explosion.”

Old 07-29-14, 11:23 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
...just to revisit briefly my expose in the recent cabron fiber dustup thread, in which I completely blew the lid off
the conspiracy to keep the origin of these bikes secret, and in an internet journalistic tour de force revealed their
manufacturing center as a space within the hollow earth, populated by a race of dark dwarves:

...a ridiculous assertion. Dwarves would never work outside of an alloy material.
Old 07-29-14, 11:24 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13694 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 2,499 Posts
Google?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.