Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I feel cycling is the biggest rip off money wise and who makes it?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

I feel cycling is the biggest rip off money wise and who makes it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-14, 02:47 PM
Sdjclevland

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
That is called "Open Mold". It means that any company can order products made with that tooling. There could be adjustments but the factory owns the design and the tools (molds). There are several wheel brands using the same Chinese open mold carbon rims and just putting their decals on them. A few admit it and a few try and lie. .
thank you very much for the info. This is exactly what i was asking and referring to on the first page and a few other pages which not one person seems to be able to answer so thank you.

Not like it matters at this point but yeah I started the thread to complain sort of. But I was wondering with certain product we buy, maybe, just maybe they come out of the same factory but yet one cost double the price. Or maybe, just maybe say the china carbon wheel is the exact same quality as just to use an example, say a boyd wheel. Or maybe the boyd wheel is same quality as zipp say to to make an example up.

So yeah if my ( again just making names up). Cannondale bike is using the exact same frame as a huffy but the huffy is 1500 less, then yeah I may feel ripped off I don't think the man is getting me. I don't care what anyone buys or rides. I am tryijg to educate myself so I don't go drop 2500 on a open mold wheel say that is the same as the 400 dollar china wheel It's as simple as that.

Also in terms of me *****ing or sayijg the sport is expensive, I think you have been involved in it and are use to it. Go tell people that are new in the sport what your bikes cost or what the 10 pound trek cost Or what a pair of high end shoes cost. We all know what their reactions are. To us it's normal but it is pretty shocking if your not use to it.

Last edited by PhotoJoe; 07-29-14 at 04:53 PM. Reason: fixed quote code
Old 07-29-14, 02:49 PM
don59047

Bikes: 2014 Bianchi Infinito CV Ultegra, Norco Fluid 1 HT 27.5+

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Campagnono
Marianne Vos would've won the UCI CX Worlds on a Huffy, and that's a fact.

The marginal gains between an 800€ alloy Btwin with SRAM Apex and a 8000€ S-Works with Campy EPS are shockingly low. And Nibali would've won the TdF on either.

People can and should spend their money on anything they want. But the fact is, in bicycling, an additional 1000€ only offers you a negligble performance improvement.

But it's all over now, the companies won. It's an equipment sport now, not a participation sport. Cash buys anonymous recognition and credibility. Now, where are my Sidis and Rapha jacket...
So how did the companies win if you get almost as much value from an 800€ bike? You don't have to buy the 8000€ bike and by your own admission you are getting almost as good a value at a tenth the price. And I would agree with that. That seems like a pretty happy situation to me. AFAIK, the folks in the 8000€ bikes don't run you off the road or exclude you from any events if you are on the 800€ bike.

I would admit there is a certain amount of snobbishness going on, but based on the comments I see in the forum, that seems to go both directions. But, hey, thats life.

Last edited by don59047; 07-29-14 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-29-14, 03:04 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Stupidly on this scale makes my head explode.
Your head must be made of carbon fiber ! Steel doesn't explode

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 07-29-14, 03:36 PM
don59047

Bikes: 2014 Bianchi Infinito CV Ultegra, Norco Fluid 1 HT 27.5+

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So back in mid-70s I rode a Nishiki Olympic. Here are the specs from another post on this site. Per that I guess I paid $120 for it at a non-LBS department store.

So lets crank up the inflation machine and see how much money that is equivalent to now. A rough estimate of the inflation-adjusted equivalent is $620.84 in today's dollars according to that site. Lets call it an even $620.

Seems to me I can still get a pretty reasonable bike for that amount that is heads and shoulders above that Nishiki I loved so much. Weight, quality of parts, resiliency of tires... Here is a random bike from the Performance web site that has an inflation-adjusted equivalent price. (Not an LBS I know, but at the time I was shopping at the local department store sporting good section, so I think it the moral equivalent. There are probably much better bikes in that price range too, but I don't shop that range these days and didn't want to spend more time on this post to do the research.) Here is a random Cannondale for similar price at REI that seems nice too.

The only thing that had gone to pot in that time is the quality of the engine choices I have available.

I could not afford a really high end bike with all Campy parts in those days, so can someone remind me of what high-end bikes cost then. Lets then do the same math.

I get amazed when I go by the nearest Performance Bike store or web vendor and look at the prices. When I look at the inflation-adjusted value I get for parts similar to those I bought then I am amazed. Now I know that PB is not a LBS, but even there things don't look too bad.

Last edited by don59047; 07-29-14 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-29-14, 04:38 PM
mcmoose

Bikes: Trek Silque S, Bianchi Aria e-Road

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
So let me see if I understand what's going on:

1) Cycling equipment, like pretty much every other commodity, follows the law of diminishing returns;

2) Cycling equipment seems to have a long upper tail. For comparison, when I started playing tennis, I bought a good racquet for $120 but would have been hard-pressed to spend more than 3X that, even for top of the line. Similarly, good tennis shoes were $60, top end ones are <$180. Cars are more like bikes: I got a nice Mazda 3 for $18K, but it's easy to spend $180K (or more) for top of the line.

3) As Dr. Pete points out, we cheap folks benefit from the high-end buyers underwriting the R&D that improves quality up and down the product line.

4) As with tennis, driving, and pretty much everything else, top-end equipment can only help mediocre ability so much.

5) If you're at the top of the game, every small advantage matters, so it's worth it for the pros to pay $$$ for the advantage that gives them the winning edge (and, hence, $$$ in return).

6) If you're not at the top of the game but buying top-end equipment makes you happy (and doesn't impact your family's ability to obtain food and shelter), then enjoy! And thanks for underwriting the R&D!

Did I miss anything?
Old 07-29-14, 04:41 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcmoose
So let me see if I understand what's going on:

1) Cycling equipment, like pretty much every other commodity, follows the law of diminishing returns;

2) Cycling equipment seems to have a long upper tail. For comparison, when I started playing tennis, I bought a good racquet for $120 but would have been hard-pressed to spend more than 3X that, even for top of the line. Similarly, good tennis shoes were $60, top end ones are <$180. Cars are more like bikes: I got a nice Mazda 3 for $18K, but it's easy to spend $180K (or more) for top of the line.

3) As Dr. Pete points out, we cheap folks benefit from the high-end buyers underwriting the R&D that improves quality up and down the product line.

4) As with tennis, driving, and pretty much everything else, top-end equipment can only help mediocre ability so much.

5) If you're at the top of the game, every small advantage matters, so it's worth it for the pros to pay $$$ for the advantage that gives them the winning edge (and, hence, $$$ in return).

6) If you're not at the top of the game but buying top-end equipment makes you happy (and doesn't impact your family's ability to obtain food and shelter), then enjoy! And thanks for underwriting the R&D!

Did I miss anything?
Nope you got it all. Well summarized.
Old 07-29-14, 04:41 PM
mcmoose

Oops… I missed two things:

1) Name brands cost more than off-label, but it's the name brands that do the R&D while off-labels copy their designs; and

2) Carbon fiber asplodes.
Old 07-29-14, 04:49 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcmoose
Oops… I missed two things:

1) Name brands cost more than off-label, but it's the name brands that do the R&D while off-labels copy their designs; and

2) Carbon fiber asplodes.
I do not recall point 2 being covered in this.
Old 07-29-14, 04:52 PM
mcmoose

Well, I'm probably stretching it, but Homebrew did say:
"Your head must be made of carbon fiber ! Steel doesn't explode "

Besides, no 8-page thread in BF is complete without a warning about CF's explosive tendencies.
Old 07-29-14, 04:54 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Sdjclevland
Also in terms of me *****ing or sayijg the sport is expensive, I think you have been involved in it and are use to it. Go tell people that are new in the sport what your bikes cost or what the 10 pound trek cost Or what a pair of high end shoes cost. We all know what their reactions are. To us it's normal but it is pretty shocking if your not use to it.
This really has very little to do with being used to anything. What's really going on is that you can't tell where the money goes so it seems like a ripoff. Virtually every area of human endeavor is like this. If you don't perceive the value, you won't buy. And most people don't -- that's why department store bikes are the most popular. But there is a reason other than snobbery that you won't find experienced riders on this stuff. We all start out as beginners, and we do things differently as we learn more and get better.

With regards to your specific concern of dropping a lot of money for a name that doesn't necessarily get you more value, that's all about being upfront about your interests, cycling goals, and budget. A lot of celebs are photographed riding bikes most of us wouldn't touch, mostly because they only ride a few miles and their primary concerns are comfort and looks.

Even though they could easily drop $25K on a bike, the bike that's best for them might well cost much less than a grand. Likewise, people without much money might ride an expensive bike, but that doesn't make it stupid. Historically, my bikes are worth more than the car that my wife and I drive. She's cool with that even though she's not a cyclist because the bikes get a lot more use than the car.

If you want to achieve certain specifications for the lowest price possible, that's only a matter of asking questions and doing a bit of research.
Old 07-29-14, 05:18 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79
Just so you know I wasn't talking about your statements. I'm coming from a cost accounting within manufacturing background so I'm right there with you with the the feeling of my head exploding from the stupidity.
I was just making a funny. No point at all.

Old 07-29-14, 06:18 PM
calgarc

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Yes, the man is ripping you off and everyone in the industry has a private helicopter and gold plated toilets.
his butler has a butler

and yes alot of it is over priced. but women do the same with shoes and kids do the same with video games lol. we are obsessed

Last edited by calgarc; 07-29-14 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-29-14, 06:44 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by calgarc
...and yes alot of it is over priced. but women do the same with shoes and kids do the same with video games lol. we are obsessed
If I'm being honest, there are some items at the top end I think are over-priced. There were some wheel price increases recently from a major manufacturer that I thought were over the top. It does happen but the industry as a whole doesn't run that way.

Old 07-29-14, 06:47 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
There is a lot to be said for getting what you want.

I remember the last time I was in the market, I told people I didn't want a good bike -- I wanted THE bike.

I doubt very many people actually believe they can buy speed. The way life works out, you typically can't afford much when you have the legs, and you won't have the legs when you can afford the really nice stuff. So people without dough can feel good about dusting people on fancy rides, and the people with high end zoot can enjoy that. Everyone is happy.
And then there are the people who have the legs AND can afford the good stuff. But you don't hear about those people on BF because nobody on here would know how to make themselves feel better by *****ing about them.
Old 07-29-14, 06:53 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by don59047
Now I know that PB is not a LBS, but even there things don't look too bad.
I take issue with that statement. Performance has brick and mortar stores in many cities. Yes they are a chain and do a big internet business, but their stores in Houston are LBSs to me.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 07-29-14, 07:02 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by seymour1910
I think the truth in this is really what a lot of people don't want to admit. Last weekend at a local crit I was volunteering to help register the last minute folks. There were really nice bikes and wheels in the mix and I have NO issue with people spending big money on what they want.

One guy approached the table pushing his 2006 CAAD8 with with a group that's about three generations old now. The bike was stock other than the saddle. I know people here love to say that other people don't care but I did notice the looks he was getting from the guy's on the S-Works and such. I also heard one guy say to another "he can't be serious, he just came to participate".

Ok, I have typed enough and I don't want this to be to long, he (guy on CAAD8) won the race no problem. As the other guy's were coming back to get results I heard commenst like "I had a bad day" and "This course sucked". It's all funny to me really.
Was it me ?
I've won races on my CAAD8 with an old groupset.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 07-29-14, 07:02 PM
calgarc

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
If I'm being honest, there are some items at the top end I think are over-priced. There were some wheel price increases recently from a major manufacturer that I thought were over the top. It does happen but the industry as a whole doesn't run that way.
true... i am actually happy with cheaper wheels, with good tires and skewers
Old 07-29-14, 07:36 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Sdjclevland
I am tryijg to educate myself so I don't go drop 2500 on a open mold wheel say that is the same as the 400 dollar china wheel
Keep this in mind, a product can *look* 100% identical to another product on the surface but be very different (different material, different layup, different QC, etc.). Two products might also be built identically but one could be more reliable (overall) due to stricter non-destructive testing to sort out any borderline examples. And then again, two products can be 100% identical in every way but one brand simply has more overhead to cover or less sales volume or treats their employees better and thus requires a higher markup to make enough profit to justify offering the product.

With a no-name brand, you have no idea how the product was built. With a no-name brand, you have no idea how strictly they test their product (if at all). With a no-name brand, you likely have no guarantee either because their likely isn't any sort of company standing behind that product.
Old 07-29-14, 07:48 PM
seymour1910

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Was it me ?
I've won races on my CAAD8 with an old groupset.
I didn't know the guy, very well could have been you. It was this bike, completely stock, no deep carbon wheels. When I think back, he didn't have a computer on the bike, no cadence sensors, nothing. He didn't speak very much either. He went out and won the crit with clean wheels, no real challenge.

But hey, like the other guy's said, they just had a bad day and the organizers picked a lousy course
Old 07-29-14, 07:50 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPete
And then there are the people who have the legs AND can afford the good stuff. But you don't hear about those people on BF because nobody on here would know how to make themselves feel better by *****ing about them.
Oh wait -- that would be me!

To keep everyone else from feeling inadequate, I simply ride slowly in the presence of others. Also, I added a couple 'bents to my stable
Old 07-29-14, 07:54 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22596 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Wait. Something is wrong here. This thread is becoming more rational, civilized, and relevant as it matures.

Pinch me, I must be dreaming.
Old 07-29-14, 08:31 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
Oh wait -- that would be me!

To keep everyone else from feeling inadequate, I simply ride slowly in the presence of others. Also, I added a couple 'bents to my stable
The boys at Whistler will get a good laugh on me rockin' this... hoping to pick one up this fall. I won't have the legs or the cojones. Double whammy.

Last edited by DrPete; 07-29-14 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-29-14, 08:36 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Yes, the man is ripping you off and everyone in the industry has a private helicopter and gold plated toilets.
This is one of the best responses ever.
Old 07-29-14, 08:58 PM
Dannihilator
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
I'm just gonna leave this here.....

Couldn't get past the halfway, I found it painfully boring.
Old 07-29-14, 09:00 PM
Dannihilator
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPete
The boys at Whistler will get a good laugh on me rockin' this... hoping to pick one up this fall. I won't have the legs or the cojones. Double whammy.

You'll actually be perfectly fine at whistler with that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.