Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Is this bike too big for me?

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 06-27-19, 12:23 AM
madoser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I’m 5’5 with a 28-30” inseam and the bike is a Raleigh Tourist 2018 in small size 52 700c tires. The top bar is all up in my crotch. The bike is nice but maybe too big? I’m used to BMX. It rides nice enough but getting in it is awkward. I can tip toe from the seat with the post all the way down.
Old 06-27-19, 11:25 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
yes
Old 06-27-19, 12:57 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Can you straddle the top, frame tube, standing flat footed ahead of .. not on the saddle ?
any clearance then?

you adjust the saddle height, for leg extension, relative to the pedals, not the ground ...
Old 06-27-19, 07:49 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
You should be able to stand flat footed over the top bar with some clearance, Otherwise It's too big. I too have about a 28" inseam. For those of us that have short legs we should either buy new bikes, Where we can choose the bike with a reasonable stand over height listed in the specs, Or try a used bike out before buying it. Given the make, year, model and size, we may be able to look up the specs and be reasonably sure it will fit.

This is why I bought Giant's Sedona X-Trail bike. The small frame has one of the lowest stand over heights of their men's bikes. Still next time I will try out a bike with a step through frame. I'm not proud! Just Lazy.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 06-27-19 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-27-19, 09:23 PM
madoser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by xroadcharlie
You should be able to stand flat footed over the top bar with some clearance, Otherwise It's too big. I too have about a 28" inseam. For those of us that have short legs we should either buy new bikes, Where we can choose the bike with a reasonable stand over height listed in the specs, Or try a used bike out before buying it. Given the make, year, model and size, we may be able to look up the specs and be reasonably sure it will fit.

This is why I bought Giant's Sedona X-Trail bike. The small frame has one of the lowest stand over heights of their men's bikes. Still next time I will try out a bike with a step through frame. I'm not proud! Just Lazy.

Yeah I have to lean a bit not to hit the bits. However I did manage to score this bike for $190 new and it’s a $650 bike. The other bike was a creme caferacer uno which fit but at $399 plus tax it’s $245 more.
Old 06-29-19, 01:11 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
A FREE bike that doesn't fit is not a good deal.
Likes For Riveting:
Old 06-29-19, 03:39 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
28"-30" is a very wide range. What is your actual 'cycling inseam'? See, for example, https://www.veloharmony.com/measuring-cycling-inseam/.
Old 06-30-19, 10:19 AM
phughes

Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 724 Posts
When I straddle the top tube on my LHT, I lightly touch the bar, but I can pull the bike up a bit before it hits hard. I could have gone with the next smaller frame, but wanted the larger frame so I could get the bars up higher without so many spacers stacked up. It has been fine for me for the last eight years, and I haven't hurt myself. As long as you can straddle the frame without hurting yourself, the standover height is fine, as long as you are okay with it, and the bike is adjusted to fit you.
Old 06-30-19, 10:21 AM
madoser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by phughes
When I straddle the top tube on my LHT, I lightly touch the bar, but I can pull the bike up a bit before it hits hard. I could have gone with the next smaller frame, but wanted the larger frame so I could get the bars up higher without so many spacers stacked up. It has been fine for me for the last eight years, and I haven't hurt myself. As long as you can straddle the frame without hurting yourself, the standover height is fine, as long as you are okay with it, and the bike is adjusted to fit you.

Thanks for your advice
Likes For madoser:
Old 06-30-19, 12:06 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
I ... wanted the larger frame so I could get the bars up higher without so many spacers stacked up.

an aesthetic choice ... since they ship with a pretty long steel steerer , to the dealers.. who can choose to cut it down .

Another factor .. top tube is a bit longer, proportional with a longer seat tube length, aka size..

Old 06-30-19, 07:56 PM
phughes

Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 724 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
I ... wanted the larger frame so I could get the bars up higher without so many spacers stacked up.

an aesthetic choice ... since they ship with a pretty long steel steerer , to the dealers.. who can choose to cut it down .

Another factor .. top tube is a bit longer, proportional with a longer seat tube length, aka size..

No kidding? Really? Yes, I am aware of all that, and chose the size I did accordingly. It is more than aesthetic, the size I got came with a longer steerer tube as well, which I specified uncut, so I could decide how much to cut off later. The head tube is longer on the 56 than it is on the 54 as well. Something else I wanted.

I also wanted the longer seat tube and top tube. I wanted the slightly longer wheelbase as well for stability.

Anything else Einstein?

Last edited by phughes; 06-30-19 at 08:41 PM.
Old 08-24-19, 02:02 AM
sumgy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 58 Posts
Not sure about the advice here.
Is it a square frame or a sloping top tube.
If it is square you wont have much room between nuts and TT.
If it is sloping you will have heaps.
But unless you are doing something incredibly wrong, you should never have problems slamming nads into TT on any bike IMO.
Likes For sumgy:
Old 08-29-19, 01:01 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
My cycling inseam is 34", standover height of my touring bike is around 32 3/4", standing over the level TT wearing shoes I can pull the bike up until the tires are maybe 1" off the ground before I can't pull it up any higher. But my shorts/pants and other "stuff" are normally "resting" on the TT.