Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Commuting to Work

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Commuting to Work

Old 07-31-19, 10:20 PM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Commuting to Work

I've been commuting to work on my beach cruiser for three months now. I currently commute 3 days a week. I am currently thinking about commuting 4 or 5 days a week. How many of you commute 4 days a week or commute 5 days a week. What is a good method of building up? How do you recover?

I am a type 2 diabetic. Since bicycle commuting my insulin Novolin N & R have been decreased by about 50%. I have lost about 15 lbs and my goal is to lose 100 lbs by next summer. My original weight was 255 lbs. I notice that on days that I ride to work, my Novolin R dose decreases to about 2-4 units. I hope to also get rid of my diabetes once I lose before I lose the 100 lbs. On a regular bike, my commute is about 50 minutes to work and 70-80 minutes home. On an 7 speed mid drive ebike, it takes me about 50 minutes both ways.

Bicycling has made me happier, and has created serenity in my life. I live in Denver and am not sure which bike I want to ride in the winter, regular or ebike. I plan on purchasing a hub drive ebike before the end of the year. When, I'm not bicycle riding, I ride my scooter around. I've been searching thrift stores for jerseys and wicking base layer clothing. I'm currently looking for marino wool base layer for the winter commute. I enjoy riding in the afternoon rain. The rain keeps me cool.

Any advice is appreciated. Safe travels.!
Likes For alloo:
Old 07-31-19, 10:56 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 1,966 Times in 561 Posts
I commute to work most days. It's a relatively flat 17 miles or so each way. I'm lucky enough to live where I can do it all year long. Since I can do it all year long, once I am in shape, I can do it indefinitely. It's just what I do to get to and from work. And I don't need any recovery from one day to the other. About my only concession is that I make is that I'll take a day off of my commute if I have a big ride the next day (tough century or DC).

But I tell you what. Every time something puts me out of commission for a spell, I'm reminded just how much it is to ride 35 miles a day ... every day. I had a leg fracture last year and was off the bike for a couple of months ... and yea, it took 2-3 weeks to come back to where my commute was again routine. And the older I get, the longer it takes to get back in shape.

I know others who tried riding every day of the week, and they just weren't feeling it. They cut back to three.

I would encourage you to give it a try and see how it goes. Take it easy on yourself and keep your speed down. It'll take you some time to work into it, but I'll bet you can do it.

Likes For Biker395:
Old 08-01-19, 01:03 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
I ride 5 days a week, year-round. My commute is 9 miles round-trip if I take the normal route. In the summer, I take a long way home on Tuesdays and Thursdays for a 35 mile day. So I guess you could say M/W/F are my recovery days.

Clothing transport is a thing when you do 5 days/week. That has to be sorted out, in a way that works for your situation.

Honestly, I think the answer is don't over-think it, just do it, and sort out what needs to be sorted out.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 08-01-19, 06:37 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
When I commuted I would drive my beater truck to work Monday morning with my bike and clean clothing for the week, commute Monday evening to Friday morning and then drive home Friday afternoon.

This kept the miles off my nice car and meant I had a motor vehicle at work in case of foul weather, didn't feel well or the rare customer visit which required me to drive from the office.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 08-01-19, 06:47 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,290 Times in 7,228 Posts
My regular commute is only 1.75 miles and nearly all down hill on the way to the office.

Sometimes when I have to go to my NJ office I will do a bike-train-bike commute. Total pedaling mileage each way is about 18 round trip. Have not done that much this year. Still, my Subaru just turned 3 in the middle of July. Just went over 7,700 miles this weekend.
Old 08-01-19, 07:13 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts

Keep at it, and you'll soon find yourself comfortable riding as frequently as you desire.

Originally Posted by alloo
I've been searching thrift stores for jerseys and wicking base layer clothing. I'm currently looking for marino wool base layer for the winter commute.
I do some thrifting. Cycling shorts pop up periodically, often in the long-john section.

I'm not big on jerseys, but there have been some "dry-fit" shirts that have been popping up lately. Look for bright colors.

I also don't use marino wool, but I do like to layer with fleece which can often be found cheeply.

A good cycling jacket is good for both use as a wind breaker, and rain protection. Cycling rain pants?
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 08-01-19, 07:14 AM
jskita

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
Congratulations on your improved health and discovering the benefits of cycling.

I used to train/bike 5 days, year around, but I have been fortunate that my jobs have been about 3 miles of a train stop. Now my work is too close to a stop for it to be worth it. I still ride from an earlier stop when I can but it's still 3 miles. My jobs hours sometimes go late and ride/train schedules just don't sync up.

If you commute out of necessity (or force yourself to for your health), then it's just something you have to do, no questions. You will adapt.

Soon as I figured out keeping myself dry during the rainy season my year-round commute was not a problem. Don't let little things discourage you from maintaining you health just keep at it.
Likes For jskita:
Old 08-01-19, 07:18 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Every day commuter here, since around 2012. Plus or minus.

To get from 3 days per week to 4 or 5, I advise just a natural progression. Take the day off of commuting when your legs feel weak, otherwise just go. Don't push too hard for it. I think you'll find yourself eventually going 4 days per week, sometimes 5, because of no reason not to.
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 08-01-19, 07:25 AM
oldgeezerjeff

Bikes: 2016 Charge Plug 2, Citizen Miami folding bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I try to commute three days a week. My commute is 14.5 miles each way which I ride in about 55 minutes. As I do not need a recovery day, I would commute 5 days a week, but my wife does not like that I get home late for supper, (its a long story), and, as it is routinely over 100 degrees in the afternoon here in DFW, Texas, obviously, I need an additional 15 to 20 minutes to shower after getting home. However, like the OP, I love riding and, at 61 years old, enjoy the benefits of the exercise. I am not on any prescription medications and measured my blood pressure last night at 105 over 59 with a heart rate in the low sixties.
Likes For oldgeezerjeff:
Old 08-01-19, 07:37 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Daily commuter here. My direct route is only 4 miles so I can do it in my regular office clothes if I go slowly. But I will usually use one of the two legs to get in extra miles or do intervals. Those days I will wear bibs and jersey and carry my work clothes in a backpack.

Last edited by caloso; 08-01-19 at 01:47 PM.
Likes For caloso:
Old 08-01-19, 10:03 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2576 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Another daily commuter, with occasional exceptions (lightning, snow and ice, or I need the car at home), 19-20 mile minimum round trip. I started bike commuting a few years before Hurricane Katrina as a casual commuter, when I felt like it. When the news was full of "Katrina approaching New Orleans" I looked at the price on a gas station sign and thought, "That's going to go up." A few pedal strokes later, it hit me, "I don't have to pay that higher price." It's stuck.

Merino's lovely below 60F for me (YMMV, of course). Start thinking about cooler weather, and how to ride in it. I've got leg warmers for <50, tights for <40, a good, bright jacket for <50 (<60 if it's raining), a progression of colder gloves below 50F, etc.

Stick with it, you'll figure things out. If you missed it, there's a commuting forum (with many of the same people there who've already responded here), and it's a great place to ask about specific problems you'll encounter and overcome.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 08-01-19, 10:23 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
I commute regularly. It's only 6 miles roundtrip but hey its 6 miles. Winters are tough. I find studded tires really help as do a pair of mountaineering mittens.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 08-14-19, 08:46 PM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
I've been commuting to work on my beach cruiser for three months now. I currently commute 3 days a week. I am currently thinking about commuting 4 or 5 days a week. How many of you commute 4 days a week or commute 5 days a week. What is a good method of building up? How do you recover?
5 days a week, year-round for the last ten years. My current commute is a little over 30 miles a day.

Build up to full time commuting. Ride extra one week, back off the next. Listen to your body, it will tell you when you need rest. After a while you'll find that five days a week is no big deal. After a longer a while you'll be pissed off when you have to miss a day and drive your car to work.

Bicycling has made me happier, and has created serenity in my life.
This. Full time bike commuting probably saved my marriage and extended my life by years.
Likes For woodway:
Old 08-14-19, 10:33 PM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
Good job with the weight loss! I commute 5 days a week, 10 1/2 miles round trip. I've been commuting to the same job for about 13 years, so for me to build fitness or challenge myself, I take longer rides on my off days that are between 30 and 75 miles depending on the weather, how I'm feeling, etc... I find that changing your route up every now and again or adding a mile or two will help you slowly get used to riding longer and stronger. Also, throw some climbing in as you see fit. My return from work involves about 2 1/2 miles of 5-8% climbing, so I now feel more confident on hills and my pacing and cadence during climbs is stronger. In the end, do what feels right and keeps you serene. Keep up the great work!
Likes For bargo68:
Old 08-15-19, 05:34 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked 15,290 Times in 7,228 Posts
My regular commute is 1.75 miles each way. No need for recovery.
Old 08-15-19, 05:40 AM
alloo

Thank You for the advice! Two weeks in my blood sugar levels are hitting lows <70. That has resulted in a lower insulin dose for my long acting insulin levels about 10 units less. (Type 2) I decided to do four days a week since my change in schedule requires me to sleep earlier, I ride my scooter to work. I don't own a car so that is not an option. Thanks for the winter commuting advice, as I like to buy things off season. I've been test riding different hub driven ebikes, and I might go from a Beach Cruiser to a city bike. I like the beach cruiser for the straight back riding. We will see!

I have only started commuting on my bicycle since May. Starting slowly at one way, taking transit home. Then commuting both ways the next month every other day, and now four days a week. Thank you for all of your input whether you commute 1 mile or 30 miles your insight is very helpful.

Last edited by alloo; 08-15-19 at 05:34 PM.
Likes For alloo:
Old 08-15-19, 06:17 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
I'm late to the party, but I'd just like to mention I carry my office clothes with me to work every day in a backpack (no sport coat). I keep shoes at the office. I keep a light jacket and cap at the office plus and a winter coat (with hat and gloves). I also keep toiletries at the office.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 08-15-19, 09:58 AM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 482 Posts
Don't know what advice I can give...you seem to be doing OK. The only suggestion I might make is to get a touring bike or other road bike to replace the beach cruiser. That'll make the commute much faster and easier. However, it sounds like you might be moving towards getting an e-bike so that would take care of the speed and effort issue. How to you carry your clothing, lunch, etc. A backpack is fine for very short distances but a pannier or some other bike-mounted bag is a much better solution. I always keep shoes and emergency clothes (i.e. in case I forget to bring a clean shirt, etc) in my office. Also, there is always the issue of arriving at work a smelly, sweaty mess. How do you deal with that? Luckily I have a shower in the building next to mine. Previously I would keep supplies at work so that I could do a quick sponge bath in the restroom sink...not the best, but workable.

Last edited by davester; 08-15-19 at 10:02 AM.
Likes For davester:
Old 08-15-19, 11:10 AM
mojojojo

Bikes: breezer greenway, mercier corvus, stache 8, diamondback trail bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I am 55 and have been biking to work 4 days a week for the past 3 years. I telework one day a week but often bike that day at lunch. I suggest get a new bike and just keep going every day. The weight will come off and your endurance will increase. Just keep on keeping on.
Likes For mojojojo:
Old 08-15-19, 11:15 AM
phtomita

Bikes: '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15, '03 Litespeed Firenze

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 176 Times in 110 Posts
My commute is like 10 miles each way and after a year or so I now feel ok to commute every day without need of recovery.
I don't race to work or home - I see bunch of fast riders, e-bikes passing me, but be it - keep my pace and is good. It takes me about a hour door to door including shower at work place <-- very nice.
This week I tried a longer route going home that adds me extra 9 miles and found out I have a stretch of 5 miles or so that keeps going down. Well, I have to climb it first though.
I never have ridden in this direction, always on the other way, so was a pleasant discovery for me .
Not a rainy day rider, but thinking on getting to it this winter since traffic around here is getting worst and worst.
Likes For phtomita:
Old 08-15-19, 12:11 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
If you like the bike, there's no reason not to cycle everyday. As the seasons change you can adapt.

When I first started, I said I'll be cycle commuting until I can't. I ended up cycle commuting year-round even in snow and rain storms. I loved riding past traffic jams.
Old 08-15-19, 04:29 PM
bikeridesteve

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Gran Fondo Classico LTD, Trek 7300 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thank You for the advice! Two weeks in my blood sugar levels are hitting lows <70. That has resulted in a lower insulin dose for my long acting insulin levels about 10 units less. I decided to do four days a week since my change in schedule requires me to sleep earlier, I ride my scooter to work. I don't own a car so that is not an option. Thanks for the winter commuting advice, as I like to buy things off season. I've been test riding different hub driven ebikes, and I might go from a Beach Cruiser to a city bike. I like the beach cruiser for the straight back riding. We will see!

I have only started commuting on my bicycle since May. Starting slowly at one way, taking transit home. Then commuting both ways the next month every other day, and now four days a week. Thank you for all of your input whether you commute 1 mile or 30 miles your insight is very helpful.
Congratulations! Watch those <70 blood sugars, hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) range which can be quite dangerous on a bike. I'm a type 1 diabetic (44 years), have to reduce my insulin intake and spike my blood sugar to 150-170 to avoid getting low while riding.

Good luck!
Likes For bikeridesteve:
Old 08-15-19, 05:37 PM
alloo

Originally Posted by davester
Don't know what advice I can give...you seem to be doing OK. The only suggestion I might make is to get a touring bike or other road bike to replace the beach cruiser. That'll make the commute much faster and easier. However, it sounds like you might be moving towards getting an e-bike so that would take care of the speed and effort issue. How to you carry your clothing, lunch, etc. A backpack is fine for very short distances but a pannier or some other bike-mounted bag is a much better solution. I always keep shoes and emergency clothes (i.e. in case I forget to bring a clean shirt, etc) in my office. Also, there is always the issue of arriving at work a smelly, sweaty mess. How do you deal with that? Luckily I have a shower in the building next to mine. Previously I would keep supplies at work so that I could do a quick sponge bath in the restroom sink...not the best, but workable.
I carry my lunch to work in a messenger bag that I put in my front basket. Everything else is stored in Panniers. I don't bring much clothing with me. I put on deoderant before I bike and wear wicking shirts.
Old 08-16-19, 05:55 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
Alloo, addressing the winter commute machine I will give you my experience working in a shop here in the Rust Belt. Michigan uses a lot of salt on the roads and we had a customer that used a Giant LaFree. After about 5 years of use the motor and motor mount were so extensively attacked by salt that we had to fabricate a new motor mount for it. The original mount was cast aluminum! My choice is a standard bike in the Rust Belt. I don't know how much salt Colorado puts on the roads, however just keep the bike well rinsed during the winter season.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 08-18-19, 08:54 PM
alloo

Had a little setback on Friday, I crashed and had a concussion. I got back on the bike, but I don't remember how I got to work. I even forgot to stop at the store. My employer took me to the doctor to get me checked out. I'm a little banged up, knees, ribs, and elbow. I'm off for a week. I've been sleeping and resting. My body still feels stiff. Not sure if I'll ride my bike home next Friday. It depends on how the body feels. Thank You.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.