Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone else use their iphone on rides?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-12, 01:37 PM
knoxtnhorn

Bikes: Motobecane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Finally joined the modern world and got an iphone. I purchased the cyclemeter app which appears to be pretty cool though I haven't used it yet.

I've seen commercials and ads for the bike attachment; however, I've also heard about the fragility of iphones. Assuming I'm not in a massive wreck, is it really safe to hook an iphone up to the handlebars of one's bike? Seems as if the vibrations would negatively affect the phone as well as any moisture (rain, sweat, etc...).

Do any of y'all do this? Also, are there any other apps out that that I might be interested in as far as cycling goes?
Old 03-05-12, 01:55 PM
antmeeks
Maud Magnet

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Allez Comp, 2001 Kona Stuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you'll find the community fairly divided on whether to put your iPhone on the bars or to just put it in your back jersey pocket with a cycling app on to track your ride metrics.

Personally, I bought the iBike mount for mine and never got comfortable with my precious iPhone 4S sitting on the bars.

So I returned the mount and instead bought the Garmin Edge 200 for $150. It's pretty basic as far as Garmins go, but right now I'm not interested in any ride metrics other than where I went, how long, how fast and altitude gain.

I still put my iPhone in my back jersey pocket, but only for when I need to make a call - or occasionally check my location on the map.

As for dedicated iPhone cycling apps, I've heard good things about Strava, iMapMyRide and Cyclemeter (which you've got already).
Old 03-05-12, 02:01 PM
slims_s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I carry it on my pocket, Garmin Edge 500 on the bars. I sometimes use it when i get lost to check the maps. I'd carry it in the bars for venturing into the unknown, but the battery life pretty much sucks, so it wouldn't be as convenient.
Old 03-05-12, 02:27 PM
sqroot3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
iMapMyRide is probably one of the better free ride-tracking apps. I used to like RunKeeper more, but then iMapMyRide swooped in with a coup around the time of all the TdF advertising. Their UI is now pretty decent.
Old 03-05-12, 02:31 PM
nrowensby

Bikes: 2006 Diamondback Century

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use MapMyFitness for Android... There is also an app for iOS, it tracks speed, distance, elevation, etc via GPS.

...and it's free...

I keep it in my shorts pocket (MTB shorts)... IDK if I'd feel comfortable mounting it to the handlebars.

Last edited by nrowensby; 03-05-12 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-05-12, 02:32 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12771 Post(s)
Liked 7,688 Times in 4,081 Posts
When I first got my smartphone I thought about getting a bar mount but quickly found that battery life was zilch if I had a ride app running and the screen on very much at all.

So I just keep it in my center jersey pocket or shorts pocket if I'm wearing baggies.
Old 03-05-12, 02:35 PM
StevenAkaProek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always carry it with me in my Jersey Pocket. With my garmin 500 mounted

but yea won't dare use it as a gps tracking, it's 4g so it will drain so quick
Old 03-05-12, 02:53 PM
adriano 

Bikes: https://velospace.org/node/18951

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i track from my pocket with the screen off.

α
Old 03-05-12, 02:56 PM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In jersey pocket for music purposes only.
Old 03-05-12, 03:29 PM
HokuLoa
Blissketeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my jersey pocket, Otterboxed, screen off, currently running strava to track, and cheapo bike comp for current speed. Battery drains fast with the iphone screen on even if dimmed but it lasts just fine on long rides with screen off, tracking, and a little music. Be sure to disable the wifi pre ride as this can mess with the gps and will drain the batt fast. One word of caution though; if you sweat heavily your phone WILL get wet in your back pocket so ziplock bag of some protection may be worth it...

FWIW, I originally used the MapMy+ (the paid version) and was happy until it had numerous probs (complete app failure, tracking failure, lost rides, incorrect data etc etc) and bad customer support. Annoyed and with a still failing MapMy app I tried the free Strava and have not looked back. It has more features, great design, has never failed on me, and also drains my battery less than MapMy. So much for paying for MapMy....
Old 03-05-12, 04:40 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I use my iPhone for Tune-in music so I can jam along. I tried the mapmyride and the batt power obviously doesnt agree with longer rides. The phone is in an Otter Box with belt pack clipped on the waistband directly behind me.

I have a garmin trip computer on the handlebars. Works for me.
Old 03-05-12, 04:46 PM
adriano 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
any tips to boost music volume?

α
Old 03-05-12, 04:53 PM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Google Tracks on a Droid in jersey pocket.

Cheap Cateye Velo5 on the bars works for me.
Old 03-05-12, 04:54 PM
HokuLoa
Blissketeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
RE: music volume

Have not found the need to so no, sorry.
Old 03-05-12, 04:57 PM
adriano 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
speakerphone isnt cutting it right now.

α
Old 03-05-12, 05:29 PM
Durockrolly

Bikes: 2020 Giant Cypress DX

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
Do you use the free version or the premium version? Is there a real need for the premium version?

Originally Posted by HokuLoa
In my jersey pocket, Otterboxed, screen off, currently running strava to track, and cheapo bike comp for current speed. Battery drains fast with the iphone screen on even if dimmed but it lasts just fine on long rides with screen off, tracking, and a little music. Be sure to disable the wifi pre ride as this can mess with the gps and will drain the batt fast. One word of caution though; if you sweat heavily your phone WILL get wet in your back pocket so ziplock bag of some protection may be worth it...

FWIW, I originally used the MapMy+ (the paid version) and was happy until it had numerous probs (complete app failure, tracking failure, lost rides, incorrect data etc etc) and bad customer support. Annoyed and with a still failing MapMy app I tried the free Strava and have not looked back. It has more features, great design, has never failed on me, and also drains my battery less than MapMy. So much for paying for MapMy....
Old 03-05-12, 05:47 PM
Realpsi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use wahoo fitness and runkeeper with the wahoo fitness bike mount kit. I upload everything to runkeeper for review later. Right now I have a stride sensor for running, a heart rate monitor, and a cadence sensor all tied to my iphone.
Old 03-05-12, 05:48 PM
jrobe

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
There is no chance that my iphone is going on my bars.

I made a bracket once for my digital camera on my bars to film a mountain climb. You could see on that video how much rattling and vibration that camera had to endure. I doubt that they made the iphone to be used like that for any length of time. I also cracked the screen on my prior phone by dropping it a couple feet. I could imagine what my iphone would look like after a crash. There is no way I am going to put my iphone on the bars when I can buy a bike computer that is made for this kind of abuse. To each his own though.
Old 03-05-12, 05:50 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by knoxtnhorn
Finally joined the modern world and got an iphone. I purchased the cyclemeter app which appears to be pretty cool though I haven't used it yet.

I've seen commercials and ads for the bike attachment; however, I've also heard about the fragility of iphones. Assuming I'm not in a massive wreck, is it really safe to hook an iphone up to the handlebars of one's bike? Seems as if the vibrations would negatively affect the phone as well as any moisture (rain, sweat, etc...).

Do any of y'all do this? Also, are there any other apps out that that I might be interested in as far as cycling goes?
I tried it once for laughs thinking that I could save on all the electronics--I need to carry a phone all the time so I figured, why not?

The apps generally work, but if you try one and hear an audible sucking noise, that's your iPhone's battery. With the GPS and screen on constantly, don't expect more than a couple hours of life.
Old 03-05-12, 06:00 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Do the pros carry cellphones when they ride? Isn't this the Pro-seur forum?
Old 03-05-12, 06:51 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by adriano
any tips to boost music volume?
Are you sure the ear buds have a govenor? I use several pair and only the Sony ones will make my ears bleed.
Old 03-05-12, 06:56 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Forget that it's dangerous--I'm not sure why I'd want to ruin a ride with music.
Old 03-05-12, 07:00 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrPete
Forget that it's dangerous--I'm not sure why I'd want to ruin a ride with music.
It drowns out the car horns and yelling.
Old 03-05-12, 08:00 PM
tcwayne

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Tarmac SL3, 2013 Sram Red

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did it all. Had the Biologic case and the Wahoo case both.

Put it on the bars= too big and fugly

Jersey pocket= best case (of course in a ziplock)

I used to ride while tracking on MapMyRide, MapMyTracks and Strava all at the same time. Never had battery issues. I liked MapMyTracks the most but I found that the apps are unreliable and crash often. Pissed me off on numerous occasions.

I eventually (after asking around) bought a Garmin Edge 500. Best choice without a doubt.
Old 03-05-12, 08:05 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GP
It drowns out the car horns and yelling.
I found when I hated running I needed music. Then, as I improved, I found the running itself to be meditative and I can't stand running with music anymore either unless I'm on a treadmill trying not to go insane. I don't know--tires on the road, the sound of the drivetrain, etc. etc... the ride IS the music.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.