Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Are Hardtails Comfortable???

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-12, 12:05 PM
rs98

Bikes: Diamondback Response

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking for a new mountain bike, and I found one that I liked. However, it is a hardtail. Right now, I have a FS Triax PK7 which I bought years ago from Walmart on clearance for $50. It was very comfortable. Will a hardtail be as comfortable for riding casually on the paved bike trail?
Old 11-18-12, 12:09 PM
BigJeff

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
no
Old 11-18-12, 01:44 PM
KZBrian

Bikes: Jamis Renegade, Kris Holm/Nimbus 29, Nimbus Eclipse

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Paved bike trail? Yes.
Old 11-18-12, 01:59 PM
DiscTruckerMF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
why are you buying a MTB to ride on a paved bike trail. you are wasting your money. seriously. look at a flat bar road bike aka hybrid.
if you must buy a mtb, the hardtail is probably better, it should be faster than what you have now
Old 11-18-12, 03:26 PM
dmac49

Bikes: Fuji, Specialized, Cannondale, Columbia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you like it and you have ridden it (I assume) then you should be able to answer that one yourself. In any event go to a bike shop....try some different ones out for fit and comfort. I have several different bikes and all feel different in different situations. And yes a hard tail can be comfortable on pavement and "off" road. Tires and saddles make a big difference in the conditions you ride in.. Don't just jump on the first thing you see until you've ridden it. Now given that most anything will be an upgrade from what you have now.
Old 11-18-12, 04:36 PM
Lexi01

Bikes: Cannondale Supersix Hi-Mod / Scott Spark 930 / Scott Sportster 20 / Jamis Allegro 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let me answer your question with another question: Are clothes comfortable?
Old 11-18-12, 07:58 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
I rode Hardtail and rigid bikes for 15 years and had a blast. Coming home last night I rode with a guy on an early 90's Raleigh rigid. If the bike fits and the saddle is comfortable, enjoy. A full suspension would be overkill for paved trails.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 11-18-12, 10:35 PM
scrublover
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?

Bikes: hardtail, squishy, fixed roadie, fixed crosser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, if you don't ride like a hack.
Old 11-21-12, 04:54 PM
nakidtroll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
maybe with seat post suspension
Old 11-21-12, 06:22 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
As mentioned before, I wouldn't ride a MTB on a paved bike path(unless I could only afford one bike and also rode the bike on off road MTB trails). That said, I would buy a ridged MTB and put wide-ish commuter slick type tires on it. My second choice would then be a hardtail, again with the slicks. A full suspension on a paved path would just be... I don't know what it would be, but I'd just never ride a full suspension bike on a paved path. It's a huge waste of energy to have your bike bobbing up and down with each pedal stroke. You'll get where you're going much faster on a hardtail or ridged bike. Not to mention that you'll get more for your money with a non-full suspension bike if you're not taking it off road. I'd rather have a mid-level hardtail than a low-end full suspension Any day for path riding.
Old 11-22-12, 02:31 AM
escarpment

Bikes: cannondale crit 3.0, specialized allez, old giant mtb/hybrid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride hardtales on pretty rough single track, I just run the tires at a low pressure but it is a blast. Wouldnt take it downhill or off big jumps but I dont live in the mountains.
Old 11-22-12, 07:41 AM
lubes17319
Chronic 1st-timer

Bikes: ...take me places.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by scrublover
Yes, if you don't ride like a hack.
That's my problem!
Old 11-22-12, 08:05 AM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by rs98
I'm looking for a new mountain bike, and I found one that I liked. However, it is a hardtail. Right now, I have a FS Triax PK7 which I bought years ago from Walmart on clearance for $50. It was very comfortable. Will a hardtail be as comfortable for riding casually on the paved bike trail?
It might even be more comfortable than such a low end FS. Cheap suspension eats up your power to by bobbing up and down. So definitely more efficient, maybe more or as comfortable.
Old 11-22-12, 12:35 PM
fang619

Bikes: 93 Diamondback Sorrento, 200? Specialized Hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've always preferred hardtails over a full suspension bike, easier to climb hills and less parts that can break, are you using it strictly for paved trails?
If so I would recommend a commuter bike, they usually have smaller tires and are pretty durable but I always like the option to hit some dirt!
Old 11-22-12, 04:22 PM
rs98

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see. I did not want to get a road bike because all of my friends have mountain bikes (I'm 14), but I suppose I should go check them out. Thanks guys
Old 11-22-12, 05:58 PM
rebel1916

Road bikes are the shizzy, but if you wanna roll with your boys, get a hardtail mtb. It's the way to go. You will be faster than on that Wallyworld FS POS and you can boom boom huck jam to your little hearts content.
Old 11-24-12, 10:58 AM
vettefrc2000

Bikes: 1976 Fuji America 1980 Fuji America 1984 Fuji America TS V 1982 Fuji Royale II 1993 Trek 970 1997 Trek 5000 2004 Trek Calypso 2007 Trek Portland 2008 Surly LTH

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
This one rides like a dream...

Old 11-24-12, 12:06 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Oh, given the fact that you're 14 and you're just riding for fun with friends, not like you're commuting, I say skip the road bike(Unless you decide that's what you want. Then go for it.) Get yourself a decent "entry level" MTB if that's what's in your budget and have fun. If you're spending less than $1000 then don't bother looking at full suspension bikes. You can get a bike perfectly worthy of just beating around on paved paths and riding across yards for a few hundred. I grew up riding walmart type bikes, and maybe they'd suit a 14yr old still if you're not taking them on real MTB trails. I do know there's no way a walmart bike would hold up to me riding it the way I ride my MTB now. If nothing else, the rims on those bikes are Really low end and will bend very quickly if you take them on real MTB trails. You're best off spending the ~$400 to get something decent if you plan to get into MTB trail riding.
Old 11-24-12, 06:49 PM
rs98

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I bought a Diamondback hardtail and the front shock is good, but the seat hurts on bumps. I guess I'll just get one of those suspension seats. Thanks for the advice and the Paramount looks really cool with orange on black! Even the writing on the tires matches!
Old 11-24-12, 09:06 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most HT MTN bikes are comfortable. Of course, that would all depend upon your tail too!
Old 11-25-12, 09:53 AM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
I decent pair of bike shorts can help on the bumps. You can even buy a pair of underwear shorts where you can have a diaper for a ride and then trade out for a pair of boxers. As you develop your skills you will learn to keep your butt off the sea a few inches. I use my knees as kind of a rear suspension. I pinch the saddle with my thighs just above the knees.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 11-26-12, 11:14 AM
xlDooM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rs98
Thanks for the feedback. I bought a Diamondback hardtail and the front shock is good, but the seat hurts on bumps. I guess I'll just get one of those suspension seats. Thanks for the advice and the Paramount looks really cool with orange on black! Even the writing on the tires matches!
Tire pressures make a huge difference to comfort. What pressure are you running the tires at? When a tire is rated something like 2.5-4.5 bar (I don't know what units you use over there) I found it rolls pretty much as fast at 3.5 bar as it does at 4.5 bar, but comfort is much better at the lower pressure. However, you are not really supposed to be in the saddle when going over a big bump. You lift your ass out of the saddle when you see a big one coming or you "go light in the saddle", just relieving the pressure to make the impact less harsh.

I have just purchased a 29er MTB and am putting on big apples 2.35" tires because I need to cover big distances on concrete slabs with tar expansion joints and I want maximum tire damping for this. Hence the biggest wheels with fat tires. Don't bother with seat post suspension I'd say, they sag and bob a lot (at least they do in the budget segment that I tried).
Old 11-26-12, 03:00 PM
rs98

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My tires are rated at 45 to 60 psi which is about 3 to 4 bars. I'll lower it and see what happens though I don't know what I'm running at since it's sitting at a shop to get the front derailleur tuned.
Old 11-26-12, 03:43 PM
LarDasse74

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Stand up when you go over bumps. Thats what the rest of us did for a decade or two before viable full suspension came along.
Old 11-26-12, 04:02 PM
rebel1916

In the summer I prefer a hardtail, but as the nights start getting longer and colder, I start to really long for a soft tail. If you catch my drift.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.