Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike pic mission game, if anyone wants to play.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike pic mission game, if anyone wants to play.

Old 04-07-20, 09:43 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Next: let’s go macabre. The grave (actual grave) of someone infamous. Local infamy is fine but tell their story.
If this goes a couple days, you might want to have a Mr. Bill rule ready.
Old 04-07-20, 12:34 PM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
If this goes a couple days, you might want to have a Mr. Bill rule ready.
I got a pic for this mission, but it turned out I didn't get close enough to the tombstone for the full name and years to be readable. I'll try again tomorrow morning, it isn't far out of my daily route.
Old 04-07-20, 12:58 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 407 Posts

Next: let’s go macabre. The grave (actual grave) of someone infamous. Local infamy is fine but tell their story.
Just checking to ensure cyccommute actually meant "infamous"...someone known for a bad quality or deed. Or if it can simply be someone "notable"...good or bad quality and/or deed?

Dan

Old 04-07-20, 01:07 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Just checking to ensure cyccommute actually meant "infamous"...someone known for a bad quality or deed. Or if it can simply be someone "notable"...good or bad quality and/or deed?

Dan

Yes, “infamous”. We have a few around here. The most notable is Alferd Packer, Colorado’s only canibal.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-07-20, 01:13 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Yes, “infamous”. We have a few around here. The most notable is Alferd Packer, Colorado’s only canibal.
Oh, I know the Alfie Packer story. Don't know if it's still there...but I once ate at Alfie Packer's restaurant in Vail. The story is (was) on the back of the menus. The entrees were named after his victims.

"Infamous"...no problem.

Dan

Old 04-07-20, 02:36 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I'm in Nashua, I could probably find the grave of someone who was a notoriously bad tipper. Would that count?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-07-20, 03:31 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Our most infamous are probably Lizzie Borden (acquitted) and John Hawthorne (convictor).

The cemeteries are currently closed to the public though.

-mr. bill
Old 04-08-20, 12:09 AM
justslow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Speaking of Alferd Packer, one of my ancestors was with the Packer party, but he took the advice of local Chief Ouray who told them the winters were too harsh to survive. My greatgreatgreat grandpa then became good friends with Chief Ouray and spent the winter safe with him. My ancestor then laid out the water system for the then non-existent town of Montrose, Colorado. There are places named for him in and around town. Maybe I wouldn't be here if Chief Ouray had not befriended my ancestor.

Sorry for the sidetrack.
Likes For justslow:
Old 04-08-20, 02:24 AM
subgrade

Vasily Kononov
[...]was a Soviet partisan during during World War II, who was convicted by Latvian Supreme Court as a war criminal. He is the only former Soviet partisan convicted of crimes against humanity.
Kononov was convicted for his role in three deaths in Mazie Bati, a Latvian village where local inhabitants had denounced alleged partisans who were then killed by German troops. A short time later Kononov led a unit, posing as German Wehrmacht personnel, into the village and killed nine civilians, including three women, one in the late stages of pregnancy who was burned alive. A Latvian court declared the killing of the three women a war crime.
(from the Wikipedia entry)

The case was very public at the time, and lead to much antagonizing. In the Soviet and later also Russian rhetoric the only WWII war criminals were Nazis and their collaborants, and trying a decorated Soviet war veteran for crimes agianst humanity was unheard of - even unthinkable just ten years prior.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vassili_Kononov

Next mission: an abandoned factory building (tell us what it produced when it was active).
Likes For subgrade:
Old 04-08-20, 07:18 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by mr_bill
Our most infamous are probably Lizzie Borden (acquitted) and John Hawthorne (convictor).

The cemeteries are currently closed to the public though.

-mr. bill
And people are dying to get in there (rim shot).
Old 04-08-20, 07:33 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by subgrade
Vasily Kononov
(from the Wikipedia entry)

The case was very public at the time, and lead to much antagonizing. In the Soviet and later also Russian rhetoric the only WWII war criminals were Nazis and their collaborants, and trying a decorated Soviet war veteran for crimes agianst humanity was unheard of - even unthinkable just ten years prior.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vassili_Kononov

Next mission: an abandoned factory building (tell us what it produced when it was active).

That's a great job on the mission, but I'd feel really weird "liking" such an awful story.
Old 04-08-20, 09:15 AM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Padgett
Thank you! It's an early MTB. 1985 Fat Chance Competition, or Kicker. One of the only MTB frame builders on the east coast in the '80's. The exact model has been debated and it could be either as the company fulfilled many unique orders. 26" wheels, Maillard hubs laced to Araya RM-20's (not original) with some unmarked 2" knobbies from the 80's/90's that are still surprisingly supple. 20" frame.

If you ever see a bike with an under-the-chainstay u-brake like that, safe bet its '85-'88, they did not last long.
Araya must've been busy. Or maybe they still are? I bought a mid 90's Schwinn MTB from a family on FB and it has Araya rims too. I think the Bridgestone 400 I found for free does too. Yours is a very cool bike with a cool color scheme. I love seeing older bikes repurposed for some reason. I guess it's kind of like seeing older cars. I like that too. Even ones from the 80's and 90's. Those 80's cars are something. All boxy. I actually like seeing this era of cars more than classics cuz it's just different. Although the older cars are nice too. I think it's cuz the 80's and 90's cars bring back memories for me.

Next mission: an abandoned factory building (tell us what it produced when it was active
Old 04-08-20, 09:23 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 328 Posts
Not an entry.. file photo

First off, one of the things I enjoy about this thread is learning new history, terms, etc. I had no idea of the scope and actions of Soviet partisans in World War II.

Following is not an entry but since I "witnessed" it I'll post some file photos.

An acetylene leak at the Watson Manufacturing plant detonated in January of this year. That morning, the sky was overcast and I was on my way to work when I saw a bright reflection on the overcast. We'd had thunderstorms the day before but they'd passed and I thought it strange that there was lightning. After 10's of seconds, I heard a very loud sharp crack which sounded to me like explosives. I hadn't been counting seconds but I figured it had to be at least 2 miles east of me.

To make a long story short, I was about 3-1/2 miles from the blast. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Houston_explosion

I went by about a week later and took some photos. [Not an entry; file photos and the plant was destroyed not abandoned.]

Street view looking NW from Gessner Road.

It was really bad.
Likes For flangehead:
Old 04-08-20, 10:02 AM
Padgett

Bikes: All City Gorilla Monsoon, 1985 Fat Chance Competition, 90s Kona Cinder Cone, 1973 Schwinn Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by 3S1M
Araya must've been busy. Or maybe they still are? I bought a mid 90's Schwinn MTB from a family on FB and it has Araya rims too. I think the Bridgestone 400 I found for free does too. Yours is a very cool bike with a cool color scheme. I love seeing older bikes repurposed for some reason. I guess it's kind of like seeing older cars. I like that too. Even ones from the 80's and 90's. Those 80's cars are something. All boxy. I actually like seeing this era of cars more than classics cuz it's just different. Although the older cars are nice too. I think it's cuz the 80's and 90's cars bring back memories for me.
I also have some 27" (shows the age) arayas on my schwinn and they are GREAT rims. I know what you mean about repourposed things. I like the idea as well. For example, I am in the middle of a frame of resto on a '65 el camino, I am quite partial to that time period rather than the '80's.

Next mission: an abandoned factory building (tell us what it produced when it was active)
Likes For Padgett:
Old 04-08-20, 01:07 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

More Araya

I also have some 27" (shows the age) arayas on my schwinn and they are GREAT rims. I know what you mean about repourposed things. I like the idea as well. For example, I am in the middle of a frame of resto on a '65 el camino, I am quite partial to that time period rather than the '80's.

Araya rim.

Sure enough, same rims on the 1990 Fuji Palisade that I'm rehabilitating.

Next mission: an abandoned factory building (tell us what it produced when it was active)
Likes For flangehead:
Old 04-08-20, 08:25 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Not sure what this was. It is across the street from Precision Castparts, so, maybe it's an old, early building from them Dunno.

Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 04-09-20, 11:24 AM
subgrade

Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Not sure what this was. It is across the street from Precision Castparts, so, maybe it's an old, early building from them Dunno.
If you yourself don't know what it is, I say let's wait for another entry.
Old 04-09-20, 11:52 AM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts

Oh wow, do I dare be so bold and go down a rabbit trail and ask for a pic of that beast? To be sure I'm not saying 80's cars are better looking than 60's car. I just like the memories they bring up. My daughter and I like to poke fun and laugh about now boxy a lot of 80's cars were. I mean, wow, it took a lot of imagination to shape some of them. Like an 80's Impala. I mean, it's like..... where's there design? Did they really pay someone to come up with that design? Anyone could do that. That being said, I still like them. LOL. All the big three were no better. I mean..... if gas mileage was the goal you would think it would've dawned on someone much earlier than it did that shaping cars like that would not be very efficient at cutting the wind. I mean it's not like other industries hadn't figured that out. What were they thinking????

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAD

My top 3 pics of beautiful American Cars are 70 Camaro, 65 Mustang Fastback, and a 46 Ford, chopped a bit. There or other imports that are purdy too, obviously.

Old 04-09-20, 01:22 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by subgrade
If you yourself don't know what it is, I say let's wait for another entry.
And just to be clear, does abandoned mean it can't currently be in use for a different purpose?

Asking for a friend who happens to look exactly like me.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-10-20, 01:38 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Abandoned concrete factory

(edited to tweak the mission just a bit)

Next mission: An establishment with a compass direction in the name. (Examples: South Bend City Limit, Northgate Apartments, Westwood Shoping Center. If there are two directions in the name you are eligible for a bonus prize. Example: Northwestern University)

Last edited by _ForceD_; 04-10-20 at 03:01 PM.
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 04-10-20, 07:02 PM
flangehead

No George Kaplan, no cropduster, no Eva Marie Saint

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Next mission: An establishment with a compass direction in the name. (Examples: South Bend City Limit, Northgate Apartments, Westwood Shoping Center. If there are two directions in the name you are eligible for a bonus prize. Example: Northwestern University)

It's a pretty big sign. Claiming bonus prize.

Next Mission: A fortification, like a coastal defense fort, an Old West stockade, a concrete gun bunker, as examples.
Likes For flangehead:
Old 04-10-20, 08:00 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Originally Posted by flangehead
Claiming bonus prize.
flange...good job on capturing TWO compass directions on one sign. The bonus prize...it's sorta like mailing in your lottery ticket that didn't win. Don't call us. We'll call you. Thanks for playing.

Dan

Next Mission: A fortification, like a coastal defense fort, an Old West stockade, a concrete gun bunker, as examples.
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 04-12-20, 10:34 AM
Fredo_Adagio

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 53 Posts
I got up early this morning and rode Ginny to a park that is a former Nike missile base. The former Air Force buildings are still standing and have been repurposed as a recreation hall, senior center, and for other purposes. The county recently acquired a Nike missile that was surplus from another museum to use as a garden ornament.

Nike Missile

Old Air Force Buildings

Old Air Force Building

Concrete Pads over Old Missile Magazines
Likes For Fredo_Adagio:
Old 04-12-20, 10:39 AM
Fredo_Adagio

Later in the morning, I took Bucephalus out of town for my favorite short time trial loop, which begins and ends at historic Fort Boykin, which is an earthen works fort that was started in the 1600s to defend the colonists against Indian attacks. The fort was expanded during the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, and the Civil War. During those wars, the fort helped prevent enemy ships from travelling up the James River toward Richmond and Petersburg.

Welcome to Fort Boykin

Earthworks

James River Overlook

James River Shoreline
Likes For Fredo_Adagio:
Old 04-12-20, 10:42 AM
Fredo_Adagio

If I won, the next mission is ...

Post a photo of a haunted mansion. (For the purposes of this mission, any large Victorian house will do.)

If I didn't win, never mind.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.