Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike stems: cost vs quality, reliability, performance

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-20, 07:56 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts

I’m looking into some shorter stems, seen some priced $150 (Industry 9) and some priced $20 range (Amazon) that don’t look a lot different in functionality. Bonus points for style though.

So what are the major differences? Cheap Chinese aluminum vs American CNC aircraft grade? Is there more than meets the eye here I don’t know? Is there a solid middle ground anyone would recommend?

does the old saying “you get what you pay for” apply here or not?

thanks in advance.
Likes For Toadmeister:
Old 05-23-20, 08:02 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Well, having the stem break is about the worst thing that could happen on a bike and it does happen on cheaper bikes. Probably don't need the 150 buck titanium option but I would not cheap out either. In fact, I would try and keep it stock if possible, and see if you can just change the handlebars instead. Probably possible to kill yourself with a bad handlebar/install but I doubt it's likely.
Old 05-23-20, 08:11 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,906 Posts
composite or casted materials I'd go with a known reputable brand. CNC shouldn't be an issue, but be aware that a seller/brand might bring about other issues. If they/it hasn't been established & is way underpriced to other ones, it might be too good to be true [scam] .
Old 05-23-20, 08:16 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I think i have a aluminum 70mm and carbon 90mm I can part with. PM me if that's what you're looking for,
Old 05-23-20, 08:23 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Basically no difference IME.

$10 stems have been fine, and the only one that cracked was uber fancy.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 05-23-20, 08:35 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Certainly I have a history of being abusive and breaking things. . I place durability and robustness above all.

I’m not concerned with weight, I don’t count grams when I’m a Clydesdale who needs to loose many pounds! LOL.
Old 05-23-20, 08:36 PM
Toadmeister

Originally Posted by GlennR
I think i have a aluminum 70mm and carbon 90mm I can part with. PM me if that's what you're looking for,
thanks but I’m looking for shorter ones.
Old 05-23-20, 10:42 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
IME, the sweet spot for stems seems to be in the $40-50 range. Above that is bling, below that is (often) clunk. I've spent more (driven by the overwhelming desire to matchy-match) but they all work about the same.

I'ev never bought any of the bizarrely named Chinese alloy stems, though-- no reason, when something like a Kalloy is $20 and a ControlTech is $40. Heck, I got a Whisky for $40 recently.

Seems like in the really short stems (that is, MTB stems, 60mm and shorter) pretty much all start in the $40-50 area, including RaceFace, Spank, Truvativ, etc. Answer has a couple of stems ~$25.
Old 05-23-20, 10:47 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,202 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by Toadmeister
I’m looking into some shorter stems, seen some priced $150 (Industry 9) and some priced $20 range (Amazon) that don’t look a lot different in functionality. Bonus points for style though.

So what are the major differences? Cheap Chinese aluminum vs American CNC aircraft grade? Is there more than meets the eye here I don’t know? Is there a solid middle ground anyone would recommend?

thanks in advance.
No, Keith Bontrager’s old saying...”Cheap, light, durable. Pick two.”...comes into play. Inexpensive stems work well enough and I wouldn’t worry about their safety. They just aren’t very light. Expensive stems are strong and light but, well, expensive. If you are trying to find a length of stem that you want, it’s best to go with the cheap one. If you want something nice, go expensive.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-24-20, 05:54 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts

thanks in advance.
I wanted to confirm that an expensive-ish stem I was contemplating (Ritchey) was the correct fit, so I bought a cheapie (~$17) identically-sized stem on Amazon to ride around for a few weeks. I was surprised how good it was - a good solid piece of kit. The fasteners looked quality, it installed without issue and felt stiff and secure. The only thing that gave it away was that some of the machined edges weren’t as finely finished as my previous Cinelli (replaced because of age and because I wanted to move to 31.8 standard bars). Ended up buying the Ritchey anyway but this no-name stem would’ve been perfectly acceptable. I use it now as a saw guide for cutting steerers, so the flat top is a little scratched up
Old 05-24-20, 06:12 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
For any given design and material, a forged stem will be stronger than a CNC'ed stem.
Old 05-24-20, 07:41 AM
Toadmeister

Originally Posted by cyccommute
No, Keith Bontrager’s old saying...”Cheap, light, durable. Pick two.”...comes into play. Inexpensive stems work well enough and I wouldn’t worry about their safety. They just aren’t very light. Expensive stems are strong and light but, well, expensive. If you are trying to find a length of stem that you want, it’s best to go with the cheap one. If you want something nice, go expensive.
I know that sold saying well, wasn’t sure if it applied here but I’ll assume it does. Between my bikes and wife’s, I got 3 bikes I want to go with shorter stems on. Probably between 35 to 60mm length.

For $10 I ordered a cheapo from Amazon just to try it out. If I don’t like it it will just get tossed into the spares box. I’ll pay more for something I really like if I figure out exact what I want.

BTW I have an adjustable stem today on my gravel bike and it falls into the cheap category, it does squeak a bit. Been using it a couple years now and it’s ready to be trashed before it fails!
Old 05-24-20, 09:42 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I have some more expensive stems made by Thomson and Race Face and I also have some cheap no name brand stems. TBH I don't notice any difference in performance between them. I never had any stem break on me yet even under hard riding conditions, so I don't know how much difference there is in durability between cheap and expensive stems...The most important thing when it comes to stems is to make sure that your bolts are tightened correctly. Stem bolts is one place where I would consider using a torque wrench. I've installed many stems without torque wrench but using torque wrench gives me that extra peace of mind. Majority of stem failures are the result of user error and incorrect installation. A lot of people have absolutely no attention to detail and fail to realize the importance of installing components correctly. Components which have been installed incorrectly are much more likely to fail.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 05-24-20, 03:32 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
often times yes, but for stems I don't think so.

A Kalloy Uno 7 stem on ebay only costs $25 and is lighter than any other stem ive seen. They are 4 bolt, well finished, light, and inexpensive. Keith Bontrager can pout about it.
The graphics are annoying, but 15 seconds of rubbing with nail polish remover leaves the stem simple and black.

I have Uno 7 stems on road bikes and my gravel bike- can't imagine paying more for a heavier stem unless its because I suddenly have to match the cockpit...but thankfully I've never felt compelled to do that.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-24-20, 06:31 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts

thanks in advance.
If it's one of those direct-ship cheapo's with the nonsense-names, it'll be a roll of the dice, although an aluminum threadless stem is a pretty simple component, you have to try pretty hard to get it wrong.
I've had good luck with 'house brands' like Oval (Spesh) Bontrager (Trek) and CODA ('Dale) as you can usually find those as 'take-offs' or overstock for really cheap.
I had a shop (not sure if it's there anymore ) that had a $5 bin, of stems that had been swapped during bike fits. I got two Ovals and a Salsa for $20 all-in, in different lengths when i re-did the cockpit on one of my road bikes, so I could keep swapping until i hit the right fit.
Old 05-24-20, 06:46 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,957 Times in 2,645 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
If it's one of those direct-ship cheapo's with the nonsense-names, it'll be a roll of the dice, although an aluminum threadless stem is a pretty simple component, you have to try pretty hard to get it wrong.
I've had good luck with 'house brands' like Oval (Spesh) Bontrager (Trek) and CODA ('Dale) as you can usually find those as 'take-offs' or overstock for really cheap.
I had a shop (not sure if it's there anymore ) that had a $5 bin, of stems that had been swapped during bike fits. I got two Ovals and a Salsa for $20 all-in, in different lengths when i re-did the cockpit on one of my road bikes, so I could keep swapping until i hit the right fit.
Oval is ASI (Fuji, Breezer...) Specialized does Roval for wheels but those are actually pretty nice for those looking for crabon wheels.

I don't waste time with cheap no name stuff. You don't have to buy the most expensive stem but there can be benefits from either stiffness, less weight or maybe more flex (if you want that) or more strength and stability. In some cases you are paying for nice anodizing and the fact it is Made in 'Merica by people who enjoy their jobs and are generally getting paid a little better and I don't mind that.
Old 05-24-20, 07:10 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
I recently purchased and swapped a Nitto Quill Stem onto my Peloton. Really sharp looking and forged aluminum for $45. Fits perfect and no problems.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-24-20, 08:02 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts

thanks in advance.
The old durable, lightweight, cost equation applies.

That said, I recommend you look on EBay and buy "name brand" used stems. There's a million of them because stems are something that a lot of people experiment with and sell. I've bought and sold a gazillion used stems on Ebay. I have absolutely no worries about a name brand stem. It's easy to see if it's been crashed or damaged.

Frankly I don't worry too much about cheap generic stems either. There's several fairly common brands that are cheap (but heavy) that I have no worries about buying either. Also available on eBay.

FWIW - comparing EBay to Amazon. These days, I've found EBay to be totally reliable as far as expected shipping time. The pandemic has not affected an individual or small operator to fulfill through eBay sales. Shipping times have been totally normal. Amazon has been HORRIBLE lately. I believe the fact that they operate out of large warehouses has really degraded their fulfillment. I've had small items that should - at worst - be received in 2-5 days take 3+ weeks to arrive. Haven't seen any of that with eBay sales.

Last edited by Camilo; 05-24-20 at 08:06 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 05-25-20, 07:39 AM
Toadmeister

Originally Posted by Camilo
The old durable, lightweight, cost equation applies.

That said, I recommend you look on EBay and buy "name brand" used stems. There's a million of them because stems are something that a lot of people experiment with and sell. I've bought and sold a gazillion used stems on Ebay. I have absolutely no worries about a name brand stem. It's easy to see if it's been crashed or damaged.

Frankly I don't worry too much about cheap generic stems either. There's several fairly common brands that are cheap (but heavy) that I have no worries about buying either. Also available on eBay.

FWIW - comparing EBay to Amazon. These days, I've found EBay to be totally reliable as far as expected shipping time. The pandemic has not affected an individual or small operator to fulfill through eBay sales. Shipping times have been totally normal. Amazon has been HORRIBLE lately. I believe the fact that they operate out of large warehouses has really degraded their fulfillment. I've had small items that should - at worst - be received in 2-5 days take 3+ weeks to arrive. Haven't seen any of that with eBay sales.
thats been my experience lately too. Amazon is getting enough business and I’d prefer to buy from a smaller bike shop or individual selling slightly used good components who can drop it in the mail next day.

I’ve bought Lots of specialty bike tools lately this way from LBS within 200 miles. They usually show up in my mailbox 3-5 days.
Likes For Toadmeister:
Old 05-25-20, 07:54 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
A Kalloy Uno 7 stem on ebay only costs $25 and is lighter than any other stem ive seen. They are 4 bolt, well finished, light, and inexpensive. ...

The graphics are annoying, but 15 seconds of rubbing with nail polish remover leaves the stem simple and black.

I have Uno 7 stems on road bikes and my gravel bike- can't imagine paying more for a heavier stem unless its because I suddenly have to match the cockpit...but thankfully I've never felt compelled to do that.
Absolutely. You want bang for the buck? Or ... you will pay more to get a stronger, lighter piece. In either case get a Kalloy Uno.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 05-25-20, 11:26 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
Just purchased two Uno stems, one for my bike and one for my wife's. IMO, you don't get what you pay for with Kalloy, you receive a lot more.
Likes For 2old:
Old 05-26-20, 07:45 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I would not cheap out on a CF stem (TBH, they seem silly to me anyway), but i don’t think twice about cheap Al stems. With the amount of tweaking I do with fit, cheap is good, and functionally I have found zero difference between cheap stems (Kalloy Uno and Dimension) vs expensive (Thomson). As long as they are 4-bolt faceplates, I’m happy.
Old 03-21-22, 11:30 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
I have ordered these stems from eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224467814348?var=523251044300

Cheap carbon stems and used them on both my MTB and my road bike. Pretty lite and have held up to all sorts of abuse. I use a 60mm version on my 26" "huck" it MTB, a 70mm on my 29er and a 110mm version on my road bike.

Run these for over 5 years without issue. Would never spend big bucks on a stem again.

Last edited by vespasianus; 03-21-22 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-21-22, 11:44 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
For any given design and material, a forged stem will be stronger than a CNC'ed stem.
+1 Sophomore engineering. That forged stem will also tolerate the real world of use (scratches, etc.) and poor machining far better without developing stress risers and cracks. (Paul's brakes are gorgeous but I'd rather trust my life to beat up old MAFACS.)

Question, John - are the Ritchie stems forged? (I bought one for my ti custom; 12mm -17. Had the builder make me an identical ti custom with our $$ gift from China through GW.)
Old 03-21-22, 01:56 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Basically no difference IME.

$10 stems have been fine, and the only one that cracked was uber fancy.
Yeah. Cheap(ish) doesn't mean garbage. A stem is a basic item that shouldn't cost a lot. Id be more suspicious about super light weight, exotic materials, boutique stuff. If its for a carbon fork id rather not get a stem with most of the clamp cut out. They do tend to dent the carbon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.