Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Reusable Link for 3/32 Chain

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-20, 09:58 PM
sc007

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi, I am changing my drivetrain to a 3/32 White Industries ENO freewheel and 3/32 Blackspire chain ring. I like waxing my chains on my road bike and would like to do the same for my single speed. Can anyone recommend a 3/32 chain with a reusable master link so I can undo the chain every 400-500 for a wax without having to buy a new link each time? I was thinking of the Connex 7R8 or KMC K810 chains but I am not sure if the Connex spring link or KMC link are reusable. Would anyone know? Any other recommendations?

Thanks!
Old 05-01-20, 01:47 AM
Mikefule

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
Others will no doubt disagree. However, I have been tinkering with derailleur, hub-geared, single speed, and fixed bikes most of my life, and have used a chain tool since the mid 1980s. I have removed and added links, and used a chain tool to split a chain to remove it for cleaning, and put it back together using the chain tool far more often than I have used a "master link". I have never had a chain snap.

My two bikes at the moment (one 2 x 10 and one fixed) happen to have master links because that's what the chains came with, and when I remember, I use the master link and reuse it.

I am sceptical about the idea of "once only" master links. It strikes me as just one more example of the industry taking something that is inherently simple (the bicycle) and teaching us to believe that it is complicated.

Master links cost less than a pint of beer, so the amount is trivial. So much of modern throwaway society depends on large numbers of people spending amounts that individually are trivial.

So, in short, I'd either reuse the link you already have, or use a chain tool. I'm satisfied with the empirical evidence of 35 years of this working for me.
Old 05-01-20, 02:20 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
I'm a fan of Wippermann, really nice chains. Yes, the link on the 7R8 is just an old school master link with twin pinned plate, other side plate and a clip. Just remember to point the open end of the clip away from the general chain direction of travel. I have the 7E8 on my Rohloff, it's more like a motorcycle chain. I keep wearing out sprockets and the chain shows no measurable sign of elongation. One day I'd like to get some 1/8" Rohloff Sprockets made up and go to a 1E8 chain..
Edit: And just like that I found a KMC 1/8" rohloff sprocket. But Bike-components don't have the 1E8 chain...

Last edited by Trevtassie; 05-01-20 at 02:28 AM.
Old 05-01-20, 06:15 AM
nightfly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
KMC 810 works fine. I never heard of one-use master links but I've used these chains for years and removed for cleaning etc. As long as you're not overly aggressive with thin, springy outer piece, I can't imagine it would be a problem.
Likes For nightfly:
Old 05-01-20, 08:46 AM
sc007

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mikefule
Others will no doubt disagree. However, I have been tinkering with derailleur, hub-geared, single speed, and fixed bikes most of my life, and have used a chain tool since the mid 1980s. I have removed and added links, and used a chain tool to split a chain to remove it for cleaning, and put it back together using the chain tool far more often than I have used a "master link". I have never had a chain snap.

My two bikes at the moment (one 2 x 10 and one fixed) happen to have master links because that's what the chains came with, and when I remember, I use the master link and reuse it.

I am sceptical about the idea of "once only" master links. It strikes me as just one more example of the industry taking something that is inherently simple (the bicycle) and teaching us to believe that it is complicated.

Master links cost less than a pint of beer, so the amount is trivial. So much of modern throwaway society depends on large numbers of people spending amounts that individually are trivial.

So, in short, I'd either reuse the link you already have, or use a chain tool. I'm satisfied with the empirical evidence of 35 years of this working for me.
Originally Posted by Trevtassie
I'm a fan of Wippermann, really nice chains. Yes, the link on the 7R8 is just an old school master link with twin pinned plate, other side plate and a clip. Just remember to point the open end of the clip away from the general chain direction of travel. I have the 7E8 on my Rohloff, it's more like a motorcycle chain. I keep wearing out sprockets and the chain shows no measurable sign of elongation. One day I'd like to get some 1/8" Rohloff Sprockets made up and go to a 1E8 chain..
Edit: And just like that I found a KMC 1/8" rohloff sprocket. But Bike-components don't have the 1E8 chain...
Originally Posted by nightfly
KMC 810 works fine. I never heard of one-use master links but I've used these chains for years and removed for cleaning etc. As long as you're not overly aggressive with thin, springy outer piece, I can't imagine it would be a problem.
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I'll reuse the link that will come with the chain. Just need to decide on which chain to go with.
Old 05-01-20, 08:49 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by nightfly
I agree...

I have been using the SL version, 'cos I like the cut-outs, for years - with a little track-slack mine last tons of miles and I've opened and closed the quick-links that they come with more times than I can remember.
Old 05-01-20, 01:04 PM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
It's not an issue on single speed drivetrains as long as your chainline is decent.