Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

New Bike Shortage

Old 05-20-20, 08:47 AM
Sunman54

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
New Bike Shortage

They are probably a number of posts about this issue, but wanted to take a different approach as I'm new to buying a hybrid for use in Florida. Aren't the bike manufacturers continuing to make new bikes? Going to the various bike manufacturing websites I note how they have none in stock or all sold out. How long does it take to manufacture and replenish their stock? My second thought. One of the reason for the shortage of bikes is because of CV19 and all the people purchasing bikes as it's one of the available forms of exercise. So how many thousands have purchased their bikes and have depleted all the inventory nationwide? But as the manufacturers build new bikes that pool of buyers will not be buying again? They won't buy a new bike every year? Like me, I had a 20 year old GT that needed so much in repairs it was cheaper to buy new. So I'm hoping that sales will be back once the new inventory is available and there won't be the massive pool of bike purchases as what's occurring right now. So when would there be decent deals again? Late summer, early fall?
Old 05-20-20, 08:59 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunman54
They are probably a number of posts about this issue,
There are.
Aren't the bike manufacturers continuing to make new bikes?
Most, if not all, are made in China and production was shutdown in January.

Most LBS say they won't have new inventory until August.
Old 05-20-20, 09:59 AM
Sunman54

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Didn't realize the China aspect. What brands are made in China or perhaps would the question then be what brands are not made in China? I will not purchase a bike made in China. I've looked at Specialized, Trek, Fuji, Raleigh, Cannondale, and Scott. All online. Any made here in the USA or even Europe? I'd rather walk then support anything made in China. I know almost everything is made there. But have to start somewhere with not supporting a Country that gave us the Wuhan virus.
Likes For Sunman54:
Old 05-20-20, 10:06 AM
Tacoenthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
Nothing is made here, everything comes on a slow boat from the far east

Even a custom frame built in the USA is useless without a groupset..,..

4 months is a realistic estimate

It's really unfortunate the USA isn't run by adults anymore, this whole situation was handled much better by other countries
If you won't purchase a bike from China maybe you need to find another hobby.
Old 05-20-20, 10:26 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Didn't realize the China aspect. What brands are made in China or perhaps would the question then be what brands are not made in China? I will not purchase a bike made in China. I've looked at Specialized, Trek, Fuji, Raleigh, Cannondale, and Scott. All online. Any made here in the USA or even Europe? I'd rather walk then support anything made in China. I know almost everything is made there. But have to start somewhere with not supporting a Country that gave us the Wuhan virus.
You can maybe count on 1 finger the number of major brands not made in China.

If you want a made in USA, you'll most likely need a hand made bike from a custom builder.

BTW, my Trek Emonda SLR was a Project One build and the frame was made in the USA... they no longer are.

Finally the way sales are going you soon won't be able to get a bike even one made in China.
Old 05-20-20, 10:57 AM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
If you can wait a few months, there's likely to be a raging buyer's market in used bikes, as folks who bought now during the virocalypse get bored and sell. Not everyone, hopefully, and if we're lucky there'll be more cyclists in the future to form a greater constituency looking for better/safer roads, bike lanes, and trails.
Likes For SethAZ:
Old 05-20-20, 12:01 PM
BNSF

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
Didn't realize the China aspect. What brands are made in China or perhaps would the question then be what brands are not made in China?
When time travel is finally perfected, you can go back a couple of decades and pick from a much greater selection of US-made bikes.
Likes For BNSF:
Old 05-20-20, 12:11 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by BNSF
When time travel is finally perfected, you can go back a couple of decades and pick from a much greater selection of US-made bikes.
Don't forget to buy some Microsoft, Facebook and Google stock.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 05-20-20, 01:11 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,488 Times in 543 Posts
Just out of curiosity, but how long did you boycott American products after the swine flu epidemic (originated on U.S. Pig farms) of 2009?
Old 05-20-20, 01:25 PM
viffer
Live to Ride

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
There was an experiment done a couple years ago, a family agreed not to buy anything made in China for a month during the Christmas season. They wanted to buy their daughter a teddy bear but the only one they could find was a German made Steiff bear that cost $75. They couldn’t even find any Christmas lights, they had to bodge together their own from bits and pieces at great cost.

If you want you can probably find something made in Taiwan, that’s not really China and they probably dislike China as much as you do.
Likes For viffer:
Old 05-20-20, 01:33 PM
BNSF

Originally Posted by viffer
They wanted to buy their daughter a teddy bear but the only one they could find was a German made Steiff bear that cost $75.
Maybe they were a German family? If I wanted a US-made teddy bear I'd get one from Vermont Teddy Bear Co.
Old 05-20-20, 01:37 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
There was an experiment done a couple years ago, a family agreed not to buy anything made in China for a month during the Christmas season. They wanted to buy their daughter a teddy bear but the only one they could find was a German made Steiff bear that cost $75.
Wonder how hard they looked:

https://www.vermontteddybear.com/?ut...demark-Branded
Old 05-20-20, 01:46 PM
viffer
Live to Ride

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Sweet. There’s still the question of where the parts to build the bear are coming from (probably still China). And a $50 bear is still around 5 times more than what most people would care to pay. But it’s a nice bear. Technically you could probably avoid all Chinese made goods if you had unlimited income but it would still be a huge hassle.
Old 05-20-20, 02:03 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
I think Detroit Bikes is the largest US frame maker still making bikes in the USA.

https://detroitbikes.com

But if you can wait, there are now so many people out of work that many bikes will probably start showing up at Pawnshops or Craigslist soon.
Old 05-20-20, 02:13 PM
Tacoenthusiast

Sweet. There’s still the question of where the parts to build the bear are coming from (probably still China). And a $50 bear is still around 5 times more than what most people would care to pay. But it’s a nice bear. Technically you could probably avoid all Chinese made goods if you had unlimited income but it would still be a huge hassle.
The economy is so global at this point if you want to avoid Chinese goods you'd have to make sure you don't own a car (funny when people think gm or ford are "American", any more than a Honda is)

You sure as heck can't have a TV or mobile device, and you can barely even have shoes!

No matter the budget, there's China in your car and your electronics
Old 05-20-20, 02:26 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Tacoenthusiast
The economy is so global at this point if you want to avoid Chinese goods you'd have to make sure you don't own a car (funny when people think gm or ford are "American", any more than a Honda is)

You sure as heck can't have a TV or mobile device, and you can barely even have shoes!

My Subaru was built in Indiana while a Ford F150 is made in Mexico.

Last edited by GlennR; 05-20-20 at 02:50 PM.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 05-20-20, 02:39 PM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts

The debate is American worker or American Company, my Honda Accord was built in Ohio vs a Ford Fusion that's built in Mexico even then the parts come from all over the world
Likes For taco2ewsday:
Old 05-20-20, 02:47 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
The company has been around since the early 80s. And if one’s criteria is not buying anything that does not have foreign made materials one is going to have very few possessions. My custom ti frame was designed and manufactured 12 miles from my home in Philadelphia and colored by a painter/glazer in the state. No doubt that the tubing came from outside the U.S.

BTW...Take a look at the OP’s short post history. Didn’t seem to concerned before this thread.

IBTM
Old 05-20-20, 02:58 PM
BNSF

Originally Posted by taco2ewsday
The debate is American worker or American Company, my Honda Accord was built in Ohio vs a Ford Fusion that's built in Mexico even then the parts come from all over the world
It's easy to cherry pick though; I have GMs built in Ohio and Michigan while my mom has a Honda Fit made in Mexico. All companies are global now.
Old 05-20-20, 03:43 PM
Tacoenthusiast

I remember issues with the spare tire well in those fusions being used to smuggle contraband into the USA

That was before ford killed off all it's cars except the mustang
Old 05-20-20, 03:44 PM
viffer
Live to Ride

Right, I mean if you want to give up your iPhone and your Android phone and find yourself a nice antique rotary dial you might be able to avoid Chinese made. But then I don’t think any phone company uses old school POTS anymore, they’ve all gone VOIP so I guess you’ll still have to do without a phone. 🙂
Likes For viffer:
Old 05-20-20, 03:54 PM
viffer
Live to Ride

Originally Posted by indyfabz
The company has been around since the early 80s. And if one’s criteria is not buying anything that does not have foreign made materials one is going to have very few possessions. My custom ti frame was designed and manufactured 12 miles from my home in Philadelphia and colored by a painter/glazer in the state. No doubt that the tubing came from outside the U.S.

BTW...Take a look at the OP’s short post history. Didn’t seem to concerned before this thread.

IBTM
I still have a fully American built Trek and Cannondale and reluctantly sold my American built Litespeed a few years back. But even those bikes all have foreign made components and they all make bikes overseas now. It’s just a little naive to be saying you’re going to boycott Chinese products, especially bikes. Nearly impossible to do.
Old 05-20-20, 06:38 PM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by BNSF
It's easy to cherry pick though; I have GMs built in Ohio and Michigan while my mom has a Honda Fit made in Mexico. All companies are global now.
I looked at 4 cars in my search Accord (Ohio), Camry (Kentucky), Fusion (Mexico), Malibu (Detroit) I did not cherry pick, it's what I actually shopped and test drove.
Old 05-20-20, 07:04 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
You can get custom frames in US and probably stock frames. I don't think DT swiss products are made in china but I may be wrong now.
Old 05-20-20, 07:05 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
I looked at 4 cars in my search Accord (Ohio), Camry (Kentucky), Fusion (Mexico), Malibu (Detroit) I did not cherry pick, it's what I actually shopped and test drove.
The 'made in america' stuff really means assembled in america. The parts are wholly or partly made in china.
Likes For Oneder:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.