Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

BB replacement..need another tool?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-20, 10:55 AM
QPM

Bikes: Pinarello Lungavita, Pinarello FP Quattro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello! I am about to change the bottom bracket (Italian threaded JIS square taper) and thought I had everything I need. Crank arm puller, bb removal tool, BB-UN55 (70 X110mm), poly lube, and anti seize.

However, looking at the existing bb (photo attahed) it looks like there may be one extra piece that almost looks like a cover for the outside of the cup? OK, seems to be a locking, and I see there is a lockring wrench, is there a tool that can work for this that I might have on hand?

**update** OK, after using the bb remover the lockring came with it (though I did tap it a few times with a screwdriver). Got the left side cup removed, but the right side wont budge. new chainring is on, but bottom bracket replacement is a fail so far. any tips on how to remove the drive side cup short of using the sheldon's bolt system? Also, my plan was to replace the cartridge I was told was in there, but it is cup and cone. if i get that drive side cup out, can i just install that bb cartridge in its place? the left side cup marries up just fine.

Thanks a lot, I cant wait to get rid of this clunking.
QM

Last edited by QPM; 05-21-20 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-21-20, 10:22 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
It would certainly help to see a photo of the drive side cup.
Old 05-22-20, 04:51 AM
bmwjoe

Bikes: Pinarello FP Due, Cesare track bike modified for the street.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 25 Posts
You know, on an Italian BB both sides have a right hand thread. It is not the same as on an English BB.
Likes For bmwjoe:
Old 06-07-20, 09:17 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by QPM
Hello! I am about to change the bottom bracket (Italian threaded JIS square taper) and thought I had everything I need. Crank arm puller, bb removal tool, BB-UN55 (70 X110mm), poly lube, and anti seize.

However, looking at the existing bb (photo attahed) it looks like there may be one extra piece that almost looks like a cover for the outside of the cup? OK, seems to be a locking, and I see there is a lockring wrench, is there a tool that can work for this that I might have on hand?

**update** OK, after using the bb remover the lockring came with it (though I did tap it a few times with a screwdriver). Got the left side cup removed, but the right side wont budge. new chainring is on, but bottom bracket replacement is a fail so far. any tips on how to remove the drive side cup short of using the sheldon's bolt system? Also, my plan was to replace the cartridge I was told was in there, but it is cup and cone. if i get that drive side cup out, can i just install that bb cartridge in its place? the left side cup marries up just fine.

Thanks a lot, I cant wait to get rid of this clunking.
QM
What crankset is that? Those crankarms look pretty nice!

Dave
Old 06-08-20, 08:12 AM
QPM

Bikes: Pinarello Lungavita, Pinarello FP Quattro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bonsai171
What crankset is that? Those crankarms look pretty nice!

Dave
FSA Vero Track 110-Its decent, though I'm not a huge fan of the crank spider. I kind of like the look of the gimondi with its more "bone" looking arm. THE FSA came with the bike and a 46T

fsa vero

fsa gimondi