Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Fall/Winter bike project

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Fall/Winter bike project

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-20, 06:48 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Fall/Winter bike project

I've been inspired by all your posts since I joined this forum months ago and did a little project during the early lock down days with my HS sweetheart, Peugeot UO14 but it's now time for something more serious. I know I've bitten off more then I can chew but after scouring the local market place listings that came up I feel I found something that would be worth converting. It needs a lot of work but I chose it because of the national pride in the make and some of the decent parts. From what I can see it's a Norco Magnum with mostly Japanese components. Posting pictures here to be corrected by more experienced eyes than mine.
I'm sure you will be hearing more from me as I ask all the usual newbie questions like, how do I strip the original paint, remove the stuck seat post, wheel size, etc... Funny enough, I checked some tires that were originally on my Peugeot bike (27" x 1/ 1/4) but they didn't see to fit the front frame fork?

Likes For gthomson:
Old 08-19-20, 07:31 PM
KenNC

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
I think getting that seatpost out is going to be the big question, particularly since it looks broken at top so nothing to really grab on to. I'm thinking you'll have to hacksaw it out, there are some tips here: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...eatpost-3.html
Likes For KenNC:
Old 08-20-20, 01:06 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
The magnums I've had took 700c wheels. Get the seatpost out then think about the bike.

When I buy a project the frame condition is probably the most important aspect. This looks to be spraypainted and that is always an issue. To be quite honest unless you can do an amazing job restoring the paint and getting the seatpost out I would cut my losses and find a new project.
Old 08-20-20, 02:02 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 989 Times in 521 Posts
Hacksaw not work, you have to use some chemical, Lye or Sodium Hydroxide. It works.
Old 08-20-20, 04:56 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
gthomson Your picked a project alright! If that is your UO-8 in the background of the first pic, then this new frame is way too small for you!
Lye will remove the post. It will remove paint too. Do a google search on the topic and see what comes up. You need to be very careful as it will outgas H2. you don't want to be near any flame, spark or other ignition source. Not to mention what it will do to bare skin. Not for the faint at heart.

I would re evaluate.
Old 08-20-20, 06:37 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Yeah I guess bought with high expectations but not met. When I got it home and put it next to the Peugeot I realized it was small. Didn't pay much for it so maybe I can strip off the components and see what the steele recycle depot will give me for the frame. Back to the classified adds I guess (sigh)
Old 08-20-20, 07:46 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 1,736 Times in 957 Posts
I've done the sawsall lengthwise cut, and fashioned a slide hammer to tap loose after the cut, I've done this a few times. I did torch a hole in the first frame I did it to, I had it fixed but decided it still was not worth it to repaint and have chucked that poc.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 08-20-20, 08:01 AM
Oldbill
Touring Rocks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 16 Posts
Most (if not all) Norco Magnum series were made by Kawamura and were mid/upper bikes that were roughly the same bike as the Canadian Nishiki. Smaller bike dealers could buy all the Norco line and if they reached a certain quota they could sell Nishiki and Fiori as additional lines.
As a result Norco Magnum are underrated and a great project.
Old 08-20-20, 08:27 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
You have nothing to loose, you will cerainly learn alot if you see the restoration through. Don't give up.

As previously mentioned, remove the seatpost first. This is how I would approach it.

1) clear the center of the seatpost with a rat-tail file so that you have a smooth opening
2) find a saw like the one below and cut two (or more) vertical slots on opposite sides from the inside of the post, 18T-24T (18 - 24 teeth per inch) should work for aluminum
3) with a hammer and flat screwdriver, carefully tap loose the aluminum bits