Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Presta vs Schrader Valves

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Presta vs Schrader Valves

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-20, 12:45 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
mjac, the mods may let you edit your thread title to match your "Presti" spelling as carefully used throughout your posts if you ask nicely, but the underlining and boldfacing won't be visible in the title.
Old 03-06-20, 01:03 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
For some reason, Presta valves don't creep as much as Schraders seem to. Seldom do I see a Presta valve canted in the valve hole. I often see Schrader valves that are at an odd angle in the valve hole. Often those Schrader valves are showing signs of being cut or are cut. It's still pretty delicate.
I've seen that on my bikes. Both of the Schrader stems on my commuter bike are at a bit of an angle. I don't remember being too careful about making them stand up straight, since it's not an issue. It's actually hard to cut through the rubber, and even harder to cut through the brass that's under the rubber.

I chalk it up to neglect. One time I actually decided to straighten out the stems,and realized that I had actually not taken the wheels off the bike in years.

And that still gets to one reason why it's hard to produce decent reliability data. Bikes with Schrader and Presta wheels are likely to be sold into separate markets, with different expectations for maintenance and care. Especially thanks to puncture resistant tires, a bike might receive little or no service under casual use.
Old 03-06-20, 01:39 PM
mjac

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
And the cognoscenti all got it.

LOL, the tyro troll exposes his naivete again in comic manner.
The question wasn't about SEW-UPS, it was about your ability to engage in conversation about bicycle mechanics.

Look @mjac - This issue has been discussed in this forum hundreds of times; you're not interested in the answer, you're interested in arguing. We're all helpful people in here, but we have limited patience with newbs who don't know their stuff and tell us we're all wrong.
I do not deal in generalities and name calling. I deal in objectivity. You said tubular tires came with PrestI Valves so people continued to use them in there tubed tires. I thought you might be referring to tubeless tires. My mistake. I did not know you were referring to the old tubular glue ups which I call sew-ups. If you want to pounce on that mistake and call me a tyro troll that seem to be quite an exaggeration. You talk in generalities about engaging in conversation about bicycle mechanics, how often an issue has been discussed, answers, arguing, helpful,patience on and on, etc. that is saying nothing. The specific issue was what are the advantages of a PrestI Valve and we got down to what the advantages disadvantages of both valves are. Like the Schrader being prone to clogging by Sealent. The Woods Valve. The check valve in a Presta. The Lizyne head and pump. The Schrader allowing leakage through pump head and hose leaks. Things that might not have been covered before. I do not think they have. These are things not everyone reading the posts knew.They may have learned something which is the whole point of this. Except you though.It might have been in a round about way but it was covered. If you would rather condescend and engage in silly name calling that is your prerogative, but it exposes you not me.

The person who knows everything,knows nothing...Socrates

Last edited by mjac; 03-07-20 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-06-20, 01:58 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by squirtdad
because i have had more than one flat on a ride, I also have helped other biker fix and pump tires and speed not huge factor. I would have to carry at least 3 cartridges to be comfortable (and have a stockpile at home) and that is more than the size of my pump
Yeah, that fella Cyclomate (I think that is his name) straightened me out on that. I thought Co2 was the end all do all. So I compromised. I have already bought the Co2 so I will use the Co2 on my 8 mile Rec rides at sun up and sun down for their compactness and if I take longer rides I will get the Linzyne compact bike pump you talked about. I am going to get all of the Linzyne stuff you talked about if I can, the pump head, bike pump and hose, they look well made and a good price for such good quality. I am curious though, it is not easy for me to get 120 psi on my floor pump at home, how is it getting 100 plus psi with a little carry pump?
Old 03-06-20, 02:15 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by UniChris
I can't say how long the person got away with it, but this was an ordinary rubber coated one where the user had carved most of the rubber off. The residual pieces and knife scrapes on the brass made it quite obvious.

Pointless since presta 36er tubes are more readily available, less expensive, and lighter weight than the sole source of schrader ones. And that goes for the 29er MTB tubes some stretch to fit, too.

What I have heard of people doing is drilling an additifonal presta-sized hole and reinforcing the rim tape in the area of the unused factory schrader one.
Maybe you could cut the PrestI valves out and glue in some Schraders. I had never thought of that. You mean some people with Schrader holes actually drill a second PrestI hole. I thought they would just use an adapter of some kind.

You and Cyclomate have me a little confused. If the rubber around the stem of a Schrader Valve is cut the Schrader Valve is going to leak? Not if it is still intact to the tube huh? Just cutting the rubber casing is not going to make it leak is it?
Old 03-06-20, 02:29 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,821 Times in 1,540 Posts
Originally Posted by mjac
Yeah, that fella Cyclomate (I think that is his name) straightened me out on that. I thought Co2 was the end all do all. So I compromised. I have already bought the Co2 so I will use the Co2 on my 8 mile Rec rides at sun up and sun down for their compactness and if I take longer rides I will get the Linzyne compact bike pump you talked about. I am going to get all of the Linzyne stuff you talked about if I can, the pump head, bike pump and hose, they look well made and a good price for such good quality. I am curious though, it is not easy for me to get 120 psi on my floor pump at home, how is it getting 100 plus psi with a little carry pump?
I have a lezyne floor pump.....it is easy (well you have to push hard ) to get to 120-130 I run 115 in 28mm conti gp 5000 and easy to pump. I run 130 in 25mm tubular...again no problem

I use a lezyne small pump (forget model) road dirve/hp drive...or similar for on road flats. it does take some time too pump up to pressure.... think 200-250 pumps... but i count in 50 pump sections and it goes fast. when i top off at home I find i am at between 90-10)

Old 03-06-20, 02:36 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Maybe you could cut the PrestI valves out and glue in some Schraders.
Any shred of credibility you had is gone
Old 03-06-20, 02:47 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4803 Post(s)
Liked 3,924 Times in 2,552 Posts
mjac, I rode sew-ups for many years and owned only Zephal HP , then Zephal HPX frame pumps. (These are pumps that use the full length of the seat or top tube and pump tires far faster than any of the mini pumps.) CO2 canisters didn't yet exist. I did al my tire maintenance with those pumps. I was reminded on a near daily basis of why presta valves were so superior to Schraeder, You do not have to pump against that spring! And you do not have to have a pump that holds it open. You do not have to have a pump that is in perfect shape. A some leakage matters very little. A lot of leakage and you can still put in enough pressure to get home. As mentioned many times above, no pressure loss when you take the pump off. (Release the lever and give the pump a quick chop with your hand. Easy when you have the valve at the top.)

And addressing the issues you site (difficulty in attaching and removing the pump, damaging tubes at the base of the valve, etc.) - the Zephal pumps make attachment and removal trivially easy. (Their patents had to have expired last millenium. Why they aren't copied by everyone is beyond me.) I wrap my left hand around valve and surrounding spokes when I pump and resist the force with y hand, not the valve. Yeah, over 50 years I'll confess to being careless and wrecking a few tubes, but it really sin't an issue if you hold the pump properly.

I know that asking someone to show you how to do this easily and without issue is never going to happen so I won't try to change your mind. But you asked "why presta"? I don't know if I would be so sold on Presta if I did not get turned on to Zephal pumps 50 years ago but I did. The pumps have changed a bit over the decades but their ability to achieve high road tire pressures easily has never changed. (Now, I thought I saw that you are running 40c tires. If that is true, you are running tires with high volume and intended for substantially lower pressure and Schraeder is indeed a good call.)

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 03-06-20, 03:03 PM
mjac

I have a lezyne floor pump.....it is easy (well you have to push hard ) to get to 120-130 I run 115 in 28mm conti gp 5000 and easy to pump. I run 130 in 25mm tubular...again no problem

I use a lezyne small pump (forget model) road dirve/hp drive...or similar for on road flats. it does take some time too pump up to pressure.... think 200-250 pumps... but i count in 50 pump sections and it goes fast. when i top off at home I find i am at between 90-10)
That is what I wanted to find out. So Lezyne makes a pump. I thought they might just make the heads. For my own information, it is a really high quality pump?

This is what I expected because it is some work to pump up my road tires to 120psi with a pretty decent floor pump. It is not hard, but it is some work. It takes 200-250 strokes with a compact pump to pump a road tire to about 100 psi. That is with a good Lezyne compact pump. That sounds like work. So even on long rides I think I will bring along some Co2 for the 1st or 2nd fills to avoid that and have the Lezyne as a back up. Did not know any of this.
Old 03-06-20, 03:04 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I wonder just what procedure you're using to pump Presta valves that causes you to lose air when removing the pump from the valve? I'd love to se a video of you doing it.

I have Presta tubes and I have Schrader tubes. I have a far harder time getting my floor pump chuck onto or off of the Schrader valve than I ever do with the Presta valve. I simply can't imagine how it is that you're losing air whilst removing the pump from a Presta valve.

Something is drastically wrong and isn't the design of the Presta valve.

Cheers
Old 03-06-20, 03:05 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by UniChris
Any shred of credibility you had is gone
Maybe it was a joke.
Old 03-06-20, 03:50 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

That is what I wanted to find out. So Lezyne makes a pump. I thought they might just make the heads. For my own information, it is a really high quality pump?

This is what I expected because it is some work to pump up my road tires to 120psi with a pretty decent floor pump. It is not hard, but it is some work. It takes 200-250 strokes with a compact pump to pump a road tire to about 100 psi. That is with a good Lezyne compact pump. That sounds like work. So even on long rides I think I will bring along some Co2 for the 1st or 2nd fills to avoid that and have the Lezyne as a back up. Did not know any of this.
IMHO lezyne are high quality........I have had no problems and they have replacement parts available.

Old 03-06-20, 04:22 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I am looking for one concrete objective advantage PrestI Valves give you. One.
If you are inflating a bicycle tire on the side of the road using a hand pump, a Presta valve is easier because you don't have to push your pump chuck so firmly onto the valve stem. On the other hand, if you are inflating a tire somewhere that you have a compressor, a push against Schrader inflator is much easier to use. I'm also picky about valve stem length.
Sourcing the exact inner tubes that I want is turning out to be a harder task than I'd like. Presta valves are relatively easy to source in the 40 mm length that I prefer for the semi-aero rim that our trikes have. I don't know what valve stem lengths are available for Schrader valve tubes.

I'm conflicted because the big majority of my tire inflation is done at home using an air compressor but I also want to be equipped to handle the infrequent punctures we get on the road or trail. As I type this we are all Presta valve at our house but it's a close decision and I could be persuaded to switch.
Old 03-06-20, 05:09 PM
squirtdad

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
If you are inflating a bicycle tire on the side of the road using a hand pump, a Presta valve is easier because you don't have to push your pump chuck so firmly onto the valve stem. On the other hand, if you are inflating a tire somewhere that you have a compressor, a push against Schrader inflator is much easier to use. I'm also picky about valve stem length.
Sourcing the exact inner tubes that I want is turning out to be a harder task than I'd like. Presta valves are relatively easy to source in the 40 mm length that I prefer for the semi-aero rim that our trikes have. I don't know what valve stem lengths are available for Schrader valve tubes.

I'm conflicted because the big majority of my tire inflation is done at home using an air compressor but I also want to be equipped to handle the infrequent punctures we get on the road or trail. As I type this we are all Presta valve at our house but it's a close decision and I could be persuaded to switch.
Another advantage is there is a lot more selection of tubes and rims for presta. as bill murray would say: "That's the fact jack" and no matter what any on individual's preferences are you are not going to change the market. (I like manual transmissions, getting hard to find in the us....they are not going to change for me....so i hope my car goes 200k plus )

Old 03-06-20, 05:30 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Just drill all your rims for schraeder valves, install schraeder tubes, and make yourself happy.
Presto, Simple, done.
Old 03-06-20, 06:02 PM
squirtdad

Originally Posted by dedhed
Just drill all your rims for schraeder valves, install schraeder tubes, and make yourself happy.
Presto, Simple, done.
isn't that Presta, simple done ????

Old 03-06-20, 06:15 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
isn't that Presta, simple done ????
Presti
Old 03-06-20, 08:03 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Another advantage is there is a lot more selection of tubes and rims for presta. as bill murray would say: "That's the fact jack" and no matter what any on individual's preferences are you are not going to change the market. (I like manual transmissions, getting hard to find in the us....they are not going to change for me....so i hope my car goes 200k plus )
Indeed, the selection of Schrader tubes is pretty basic. It's a replacement-parts market. Most people buy tubes to replace whatever they've already got on the bike. Switching valve types is probably limited to a tiny handful of enthusiasts. Most people, including myself, would have the sentiment of: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," and wonder why there's even a debate, when there's not much of a choice on most bikes. If you buy a low end hybrid, or a beater, it's going to have Schrader. If you buy a crabon super-bike, it's going to have Presta.
Old 03-06-20, 08:24 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
I started using presta valves in 1975. I've used them ever since, with no significant tube problem. If you don't like them, don't use them.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 03-06-20, 09:47 PM
mjac

IMHO lezyne are high quality........I have had no problems and they have replacement parts available.
Thanks
Old 03-07-20, 02:56 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
I have never torn a valve on a presta tube and I have used lightweight tubes for 45+ years. I use only a Silca floor pump and Silca or Zefal full-size frame pumps. When I was track riding on tubulars I was told how to remove a Silca pump head from the valve. The floor pump allows a solid grip. Gripping the head hear you give a good wrap with the other had on your gripping hand. Pops right off with minimal air loss. Works for the plastic frame pumps also with a cradle grip on the head and metal part of the body. SIlca still carries parts for the vintage pumps and they can be updated also.

For pressure reading you get a Presta Gauge not schraeder adapters. My floor pump has a gauge, but I inflate tires to set hardness by feel. .

I detest the pumps with locking levers, but have made peace with my Zefal HPX, and it works well now once I got used to it. This thread has had many tips and hints on using presta valves. The one on "burping the lock nut after loosening" it is one I always do, but would never mention it, since I do it by rote. Great hint from the poster.

Since picking and using a tube is a personal choice, possibly mandated by your rims (right tool for the right job, etc., etc.), I am surprized it has been debated for 120 posts. It is not rocket science or witch craft. Choose one or the other. And now we have post #121 !
Old 03-07-20, 08:17 AM
mjac

Retro Grouch lots of bike stores have them but this is the most comprehensive https://www.lezynestore.com/pump-parts/
I am always on the look out for Class, Quality Companies. Thanks for recommending Lezyne. I will put them on the list with Przewalski. I already have a descent pump so I won't be going for the $60 Lezyne Pump,but the $17 - $18 Lezyne pump head looks like a good idea. Even though my pump has the improved flip lever pump head, I still find the flip lever troublesome and as much as you have to pump up tires the Lezyne Head might be worth it. It would also be nice to have a class tool.

Last edited by mjac; 03-07-20 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-07-20, 09:15 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by dedhed
Presti
You did not capitalize the I...Slacker
Old 03-07-20, 09:29 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by Miele Man
I wonder just what procedure you're using to pump Presta valves that causes you to lose air when removing the pump from the valve? I'd love to se a video of you doing it.

I have Presta tubes and I have Schrader tubes. I have a far harder time getting my floor pump chuck onto or off of the Schrader valve than I ever do with the Presta valve. I simply can't imagine how it is that you're losing air whilst removing the pump from a Presta valve.

Something is drastically wrong and isn't the design of the Presta valve.

Cheers
I was pushing the pump head too far down trying to get a good seal and was depressing the plunger. But do not tell anybody.I still blame the PrestI though, they are girly. I do not have this problem with my sturdy Schraders.
Old 03-07-20, 09:46 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 488 Posts
I have never seen a 700c x 18-25 Schrader tube.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.