Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Amazon Prime Delivery Vans!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Amazon Prime Delivery Vans!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-20, 11:44 AM
Moishe
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
Killing cyclists won't make things any better.
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Listen, agitator. They have been driving like jerks LONG before the pandemic. For example, I have lost count of how many drive the wrong on a one way street right by my house because they don't feel like going two blocks out of their way. Get it, or should I type more slowly next time?
Maybe a good compromise we can agree on for the duration of this national calamity is to shoot the bird at the offending Uber, Lyft, or Amazon driver and yell out "Thank you for you service."
Likes For Moishe:
Old 03-23-20, 11:59 AM
Moishe
Banned.

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Or maybe ban the habitual trolls.
You really should write your congressman.
Old 03-23-20, 03:27 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Can we please get back on topic?

The serious replies, even those with some light humor, are appreciated, yet surprising to me. I fully expected to hear that Amazon Prime van complaints would be fairly universal. I'm assuming that there isn't just one Amazon Prime guy driving around a 30 mile radius of my house. So far, I think there seems to be a few of you that agree with me, but most don't see a significant amount of inappropriate Amazon Prime van driving. I'll try to keep an unbias open mind about those Amazon Prime vans for the next couple of weeks and see. If I still think they are more aggressive with their driving, I will make a call or email to Amazon Prime to express my concerns and request an in-service about driving near cyclists.
Old 03-23-20, 04:31 PM
Theypeedonmyrug
Banned.

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domain SLR6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 17 Posts
Old 03-23-20, 04:51 PM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Amazon’s routing algorithm just isn’t as good as UPS or FedEx and sends drivers on too many inefficient routes with too many left hand turns. This makes the drivers rush to meet package quotes. I believe the accident rate with those vans is much higher than other package delivery services. Although anecdotal, I live near an auto body shop and often see Amazon vans there. If you’re on a bike be aware of any nearby Amazon vans and any sudden turns they can make.
Old 03-23-20, 05:53 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Originally Posted by billridesbikes
Amazon’s routing algorithm just isn’t as good as UPS or FedEx and sends drivers on too many inefficient routes with too many left hand turns.
Should hire more professional race car drivers.
Old 03-23-20, 06:27 PM
Theypeedonmyrug
Banned.

Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
Can we please get back on topic?
It’s not that good a topic. Let’s get off it.

Last edited by Theypeedonmyrug; 03-23-20 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-23-20, 08:17 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11955 Post(s)
Liked 6,611 Times in 3,469 Posts
Originally Posted by Theypeedonmyrug
It’s not that good a topic. Let’s get off it.
Traditionally on this forum when the OP asks that we get back on topic we usually oblige. Those who aren’t interested are free to leave and find another thread to their liking.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 03-23-20, 08:48 PM
Theypeedonmyrug
Banned.

Originally Posted by BillyD
Traditionally on this forum when the OP asks that we get back on topic we usually oblige. Those who aren’t interested are free to leave and find another thread to their liking.
Well, okay Billy, but I don’t see how post #32 differs much from post #16.
Old 03-23-20, 09:08 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,403 Times in 898 Posts
Well, okay Billy, but I don’t see how post #32 differs much from post #16.
#thatsashame
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 03-23-20, 09:15 PM
Theypeedonmyrug
Banned.

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
#thatsashame
What does sashimi have to do with it?
Old 03-23-20, 09:38 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
I fully expected to hear that Amazon Prime van complaints would be fairly universal.
Nope. No complaints from me.

If I still think they are more aggressive with their driving, I will make a call or email to Amazon Prime to express my concerns and request an in-service about driving near cyclists.
It seems like most cyclist have their own target of confirmation bias - they can shrug off dozens of trespasses, except when one reinforces a preconceived belief. For some people, it's Audis that are always being dicks, because they're arrogant and they think they're better than you. For others, it's soccer moms in SUVs that are distracted by their snot-nosed brood. For you, it might just be Amazon Prime Delivery Vans because they're more concerned about their delivery stats than your life.

By all means, get a camera, document the offenses and report them, but I have a feeling that they're no worse than your average ****ty driver, it's just that you're more keyed in to them.
Old 03-23-20, 10:56 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
They have their own vans? I really do live in the middle of nowhere, in the dark ages. Just how I like it. Carry on.
Old 03-23-20, 11:00 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,570 Times in 3,767 Posts
Here is a typical Amazon van.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 03-23-20, 11:16 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Some companies put drivers under pressure to get a lot done quick. Some contractors get paid a rate per delivery which gives them an incentive to get it done quick. Being under pressure to rush all the time, does result in a slight reduction in safety. Some companies have a greater focus on safety. It may even vary from place to place with the same company.
Old 03-24-20, 12:22 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I think the guys driving these vans have it about as good as the ponies in the Pony Express. I saw something a few days ago that they were each being given one Clorox wipe each day to sanitize their vans.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 03-24-20, 12:36 AM
SClaraPokeman

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
I feel pretty sorry for most delivery drivers--most of them do it b/c they simply have to. I had a package from Jenson's delivered today and I felt pretty guilty taking it from the driver--wished I had some tip money in my pocket--but I didn't have it so couldn't do it. In the eighties I would occasionally play hooky from work and it was usually very light traffic riding in the hills around silicon valley, but try to do that now and it feels like 50% of the traffic there is are delivery trucks. This seems really out of balance. I've gone at least to using Amazon locker so drivers don't need to bring stuff to my doorstep. I can't say that I've ever had any real problems with delivery trucks--more worried about distracted soccer moms, speeding teenagers, or cars with tinted windows where I can't make out if anyone in it sees me.
Likes For SClaraPokeman:
Old 03-24-20, 03:40 AM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi

It seems like most cyclist have their own target of confirmation bias - they can shrug off dozens of trespasses, except when one reinforces a preconceived belief. For some people, it's Audis that are always being dicks, because they're arrogant and they think they're better than you. For others, it's soccer moms in SUVs that are distracted by their snot-nosed brood. For you, it might just be Amazon Prime Delivery Vans because they're more concerned about their delivery stats than your life.

By all means, get a camera, document the offenses and report them, but I have a feeling that they're no worse than your average ****ty driver, it's just that you're more keyed in to them.
I didn’t express this, but this is what I was thinking when I started this thread. I was wondering if I became fixated on Amazon Prime vans. Perhaps the first one that passed me, did so closely, and now I focus in on them. The responses to this thread have mostly shown me that I may be biased in this regard.
Likes For Bassmanbob:
Old 03-24-20, 04:41 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I just noticed the OP is in Florida. Florida is ranked the most dangerous for pedestrians. It appears to be equally dangerous for cyclists, although statistics aren't easily deciphered.

Even my acquaintances in Florida who don't ride bikes talk about how dangerous it is for anyone who isn't in a motor vehicle. That mostly seems to be the coastal urban areas. No idea about the rest of the state.

If I lived in Florida... wait, scratch that. I did and couldn't wait to get out. Most of the state has always seemed crazy. And I'm a Texan. We know a thing or three about crazy.
Old 03-24-20, 06:41 AM
Theypeedonmyrug
Banned.

Originally Posted by WhyFi

This is an impressively cogent observation, and I think it fully explains why this thread exists in the first place.

But I just want to add a word in defense of my neighbors here in Connecticut who drive Audi’s, BMWs, Mercedes’ and the like. In my experience, they are among the most considerate of drivers towards us road bikers. I imagine it’s because, if for no other reason, they are the ones most fearful of denting or scratching their cars. God bless ‘em.
Likes For Theypeedonmyrug:
Old 03-24-20, 06:48 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
They have their own vans? I really do live in the middle of nowhere, in the dark ages. Just how I like it. Carry on.
Yup.. We're in the same boat. Where I live, the Prime delivery guys drive their own personal cars and get compensated for the usage.

Gotta love small cities!
Likes For eduskator:
Old 03-24-20, 07:27 AM
Theypeedonmyrug
Banned.

Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
Originally Posted by eduskator
Yup.. We're in the same boat. Where I live, the Prime delivery guys drive their own personal cars and get compensated for the usage.

Gotta love small cities!

The distribution of Amazon vans pretty much coincides with the distribution of Coronavirus cases. Cut them some slack.
Old 03-24-20, 07:31 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts

The distribution of Amazon vans pretty much coincides with the distribution of Coronavirus cases. Cut them some slack.
Of course lol these areas all have a high density of population.
Old 03-24-20, 08:14 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Here is a typical Amazon van.

I see that the fire truck has had enough of that smug smile
Old 03-24-20, 08:25 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
I see that the fire truck has had enough of that smug smile
Nah - they're there to turn that frown upside down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.