Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

first 100k sportif.... concerns

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-19, 07:09 AM
sw20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts

Hi all,
I have my first 100k sportif coming up in 2 weeks and am now getting a little concerned about it! Due to work commitments I can only go and train once a week, so far I have upped my mileage to 45 miles but my legs can't seem to go any further! I just don't think they have got another 17 miles in them!
I usually eat a bowl of porridge about an hour before I ride, and then during my ride I will have a Clif Bar and a packet of Clif Blocks and an energy drink, but by the 35-40 mile mark my quads are pretty much shot!
I ride every weekend but just can't seem to break the 45 mile mark! What am I doing wrong?
I have got 1 more ride before the 100k, and am now thinking I'm out of my depth.

Welcome any advice on how I can find the extra mileage in my legs!
Old 06-22-19, 07:28 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
If you can do 45 miles, you'll be fine on the 100k. The buzz of a group ride will energize you and distract from the discomfort on longer rides.

Beyond 20 continuous miles at a sustainable pace, cycling becomes mostly a mental game. As long as the saddle and bike fit are reasonably comfortable, the rest is a matter of quieting the doubts.

You got this. Have fun.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 06-22-19, 07:37 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I don't do gels but I would say eat at least one Clif bar an hour, usually people who hit a wall do so because they aren't fueling enough.

Also, are you pacing yourself to go slower than you normally would on a shorter ride? If you're trying to maintain the same effort, your body isn't going to be used to that. And if all your other efforts are constant length and intensity, then you aren't creating the right training stress to improve.

Finally, if your quads are the first to give out, are you pedaling at too low of a cadence at too high of a gear?
Old 06-22-19, 09:26 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
If you can do 45 miles, you'll be fine on the 100k. The buzz of a group ride will energize you and distract from the discomfort on longer rides.

Beyond 20 continuous miles at a sustainable pace, cycling becomes mostly a mental game. As long as the saddle and bike fit are reasonably comfortable, the rest is a matter of quieting the doubts.

You got this. Have fun.
Well said. Your training will get you through the 45 miles, the rest will happen as you get into the excitement and adrenalin will take you the rest of the way. I have a Clif gel about every 10 to 20 miles, rather than bars, but that's just me. Carry a bar for backup, but the gels ckick in faster for me. Most of all have fun!
Old 06-22-19, 09:31 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Just do 45 miles ... then turn around and ride home. Don't do the last 17.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 06-23-19, 04:53 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Just do 45 miles ... then turn around and ride home. Don't do the last 17.
Brilliant. And absolutely valid. It's exactly the kind of mental game we have to play to get through a tough ride.

We all have little tricks we do to get through a physical challenge. For some folks it's looking down at the road directly in front of us on a long, hard climb. For others it's listening to music. Or some form of socializing with trusted riding partners to get through a grueling ride, whether casual conversation or taking turns pulling each other through the wind because you've practiced this before and know you can trust your partner without saying a word. Some of my favorite riding buddies are chatterbugs and the miles and hours fly by in their company.

My mental trick for planned hard training sessions is to stay close to home. Fortunately there's a good 5 mile roller coaster circuit loop with plenty of challenges for hard interval training. I know I can go harder there and not worry about bonking because I'm only 2 miles from home. When I'm farther from home riding solo I tend to ride more cautiously, conserving energy.

I know some folks who ride many centuries a year, but mostly ride close to home on familiar routes, even looping back. They're getting in the miles, but not exploring.

I find it harder to motivate myself to ride more than 50 miles in a day if it's the same, familiar turf I ride for training. I can stay mentally engaged more easily if I ride out and back to explore a new route. Besides, if I ride out 50 miles, I'll need to ride back to get home.
Likes For canklecat: