Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Please help me narrow down what kind of bike I want

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-20, 06:46 AM
Eilliam

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, I'm new(ish) here, and I'm looking to buy a decent bike.

I'm 6'3" and nearly 290lbs. I need to start getting some exercise, and I can't seem to get back into jogging like I used to. I don't look to put 500 miles a year on it or anything, just some joy riding and for my hobbies and to get a little more active. I also don't know how to size a bike for myself.

I'm an amateur radio operator and I also like to fish, so I'd like to have something that does moderately well off-road to explore for my hobbies, as well as on the road.

I currently have a Walmart Hybrid bike, had a road bike like 3 decades ago, and as a kid had a small mountain bike. I can't stand having 21 gears like my current bike has. I know that's pretty much standard, but no matter how hard I work at it, I can't smoothly transition gears. I would love to have like a 3 speed or something, but I know that's not likely to happen.

My price range is around $450, so I guess I'm looking for a low end bike, and I don't mind working on things or slowly upgrading things on it over time. I would also prefer new, but not completely opposed to used.

My time frame I'm looking at is most likely after all this virus stuff blows over.

I think that's about it. I know that's a lot of constraints, but maybe you all can help me or talk me into some other options.

Thanks
Old 03-27-20, 07:29 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Why not this?

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...brake-mtb.html

There are videos on the partial assembly you'll have to do. Delivered to your home. 21" size for you.

The remaining $50 can be spent on accessories. First a rear rack to help you transport your fishing gear. After that, a frame mounted pump, tire levers, a spare tube, and sunscreen.
Old 03-27-20, 08:29 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
There are a plethora of bike styles that are all variations on a theme. Picking the one that suites you. best is a decision you will have to make for yourself.

The first task is to find a bike shop guy who really wants to talk with you. Look for the old guy or even better, his wife. Most times I think you'll find they're more willing to take the time to discuss the various styles of bikes and how they might best fit where and how you picture yourself using your new bike.

Once you do that, Choose the style bike you think will suit you best find a price point you can live with and you'll never go wrong. The biggest trick is finding the right sales person.
Old 03-27-20, 08:30 AM
Eilliam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz

There are videos on the partial assembly you'll have to do. Delivered to your home. 21" size for you.

The remaining $50 can be spent on accessories. First a rear rack to help you transport your fishing gear. After that, a frame mounted pump, tire levers, a spare tube, and sunscreen.
I was wondering if bikes direct was a good place to go. Your link sent me to a 404 page but I found the bike in question. (change the html to htm and it works)

Thanks for the quick response. I'll add that to the list and compare with any other suggestions. I like the looks of that one so far.
Old 03-27-20, 08:32 AM
Eilliam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
There are a plethora of bike styles that are all variations on a theme. Picking the one that suites you. best is a decision you will have to make for yourself.

The first task is to find a bike shop guy who really wants to talk with you. Look for the old guy or even better, his wife. Most times I think you'll find they're more willing to take the time to discuss the various styles of bikes and how they might best fit where and how you picture yourself using your new bike.

Once you do that, Choose the style bike you think will suit you best find a price point you can live with and you'll never go wrong. The biggest trick is finding the right sales person.
We do have a local bike shop, but given the current situation, it will be a bit before I can talk to them. From what I hear, the owners are really friendly and helpful.
Old 03-27-20, 08:36 AM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by Eilliam
We do have a local bike shop, but given the current situation, it will be a bit before I can talk to them. From what I hear, the owners are really friendly and helpful.
How old are they? In the interest of full disclosure, I may be showing a little bit of age bias.
Old 03-27-20, 08:41 AM
Eilliam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
How old are they? In the interest of full disclosure, I may be showing a little bit of age bias.
If I had to guess, they are in their late 30's or 40s. I know one is the son of an avid bicyclist(when his hip and knee will allow) that is in his 60's I think and helps promote the shop as well. They do screen printing in the basement of the shop as well. I believe they've been in business for a long time.
Old 03-27-20, 09:04 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts

Save up to 60% off new Hybrid Bicycles | Adventure Hybrid 29er Bikes Shimano Nexus 8 Speed Bikes Elite Adventure Sport Trail

Like our bike guru Mr gretz says bikes direct. $50 over budject this sweet 8 speed. May even haul alligator gars

Old 03-27-20, 10:47 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
2020 Motobecane 529HT 29er Mountain Bikes (https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ntainbikes.htm)

Looks a like a solid low-budget MTB for someone who wants fat tires, wants to be able to haul a load off-road, and who isn’t too worried about competition riding.

This is a 24-speed, but that doesn’t matter. Likely you could leave it in the small or middle ring and just shift the rear—just ease up on your pedaling pressure for a stroke and the chain will move well enough.

22 chain ring and 32-tooth cog---you won’t have much trouble on hills (says the man who can barely climb his driveway. )

100 mm fork would be overkill, but given your heft (pretty near my own) you will be able to set it up sort of soft and cushiony and still have enough spring to keep from bottoming out.

Since it is a hard-tail, you can get a rear rack and some cheap panniers and a trunk bag (or a big duffel bag, bungeed across the top of the panniers) and carry more gear than you would ever need for fishing unless you were also camping---and you could still make that work.

Not saying this bike is your best bet---but it should do what you need it to.

I might go with a rigid frame myself—but I don’t know.

You will need to forge a good relationship with a local shop anyway, unless you like doing mechanical work …. And maybe they will turn out to be really good people and worth knowing in their own right.
Old 03-27-20, 11:03 AM
Eilliam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well let me run this by you all as well. Seeing as I have the Walmart bike and it's still in decent shape, would it be in my better intrest to put some time and a little money into that bike to try make it better for a while? It's a Schwinn Avenue Hybrid that I got about 10-11 years ago. It has some shimano parts and is in mostly decent shape, though I'm sure it needs some grease and a little wrenching.
Old 03-27-20, 11:15 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
500 miles per year is ~10 miles per week, or ~5 minutes per day. Shoot for 5,000 miles per year.
Old 03-27-20, 11:16 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Well let me run this by you all as well. Seeing as I have the Walmart bike and it's still in decent shape, would it be in my better intrest to put some time and a little money into that bike to try make it better for a while? It's a Schwinn Avenue Hybrid that I got about 10-11 years ago. It has some shimano parts and is in mostly decent shape, though I'm sure it needs some grease and a little wrenching.
That is totally your call. I am inclined to say you can put some work into it, but don't put any money into it.
Old 03-27-20, 11:17 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Well, maybe this is a good time to have a discussion with them either by telephone or email.
Likes For MRT2:
Old 03-27-20, 11:51 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
if the Schwinn runs and has no major flaws, get it tuned up and ride it. For as little as you plan to ride, it should be fine.

If you are planning to ride ten miles per week out to the fishing hole at a lazy pace, the Schwinn should meet your needs. even if you went three times as often, if you weren't going over drops and slamming into obstacles, the Schwinn should be fine. You will have to keep an eye on the wheels because of your mass---speaking from knowledge, if you let a couple spokes get loose, the rest will start popping and snapping and all sorts of ugly things, but if you check them every few rides, you can probably keep the wheels round and straight for quite a while.

Yo have to decide how much you really want to ride, and what kind of riding you want to do. Maybe you will find riding more fun than jogging (your knees and feet sure will) and you will decide you deserve a new bike more suited to your needs ... or maybe the Schwinn will last for several more years. Maybe you will save the Schwinn for fishing and get a more road-oriented bike for general riding .... or maybe you will take up jogging again, I don't know.

Bottom line, if the Schwinn isn't broke, you don't need a new bike right away.
Old 03-27-20, 12:25 PM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by MRT2
Well, maybe this is a good time to have a discussion with them either by telephone or email.
Excellent idea!
Old 03-27-20, 12:54 PM
Eilliam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you everyone for the help. I'll get the old Schwinn tuned up a little, Check out the bikes you all showed me on bikesdirect, and give a call to the LBS here. You've all given me some stuff to think about and it's looking like Hybrid or Mountain bike is the direction I need to steer.
Old 03-27-20, 02:08 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
As you are 6'3", I'm guessing the Walmart Schwinn is too small for you as Walmart typically sells one size fits all. Read about measuring a bicycle's frame size and let us know it's size. Wrong size bike = replace.

You'll likely looking for a 22-23" (58-60cm) size bike.