Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

LHT for Clyde commuting? Other options?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

LHT for Clyde commuting? Other options?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-17, 01:45 PM
NoGears

Bikes: Kona Big Unit Single Speed, Kona Private Jake Single Speed, Jamis Renegade Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Unless I am mistaken, any shop with a QBP account can order you a Surly, but that doesn't mean you will be able to test fit/ride one before hand.
That's true. But many shops will only order after you pay in full and it's your bike, no returns if it is the wrong size or you don't like it.
Old 04-05-17, 01:45 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by jwill226
I'm in Crescent City California. The nearest dealers that show on the Surly site is San Francisco and Portland. I'm right in the middle of those two.
If you're able to get up to the Portland area, check out Joe Bike. Very competent group that can get you set up with whatever you need for commuting, revamping a set of wheels, hubs, BB, head for heavier loads, etc. They carry Surly, Soma, many others. They do customizing, rebuilds, etc. Hard to get a great fit on a bike, of course, sight-unseen ... unless you're lucky.

Joe-Bike, Portland, OR *

* Not affiliated in any way.

Last edited by Clyde1820; 04-05-17 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-05-17, 06:19 PM
jwill226

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks again for all the help. I'm spending just about every free minute reading and way over thinking everything. I spent 1.5 hours after work beating up on a stationary bike at the gym and dreaming of being outside on a real bike.

MTBs where suggested and I would be fine with that as long as I can mount at least a rear rack and panniers on it (or something similar) to haul my things for work (lunch, a gallon+ of water, steel toed boots, and a metal clipboard full of paperwork, and a change of clothes for the gym). I'd also prefer it have a reasonably fast gearing on the top end so I'm not maxing the gearing out at 10mph.

I'm sorry if I'm being a bother. I tend to overthink most big purchases. On the plus side I'm almost always happy with my decision when I finally make one. Thanks for putting up with me.
Old 04-05-17, 06:27 PM
Clyde1820

Originally Posted by Clyde1820
If you're able to get up to the Portland area, check out Joe Bike. Very competent group that can get you set up with whatever you need for commuting, revamping a set of wheels, hubs, BB, head for heavier loads, etc. They carry Surly, Soma, many others. They do customizing, rebuilds, etc. Hard to get a great fit on a bike, of course, sight-unseen ... unless you're lucky.

Joe-Bike, Portland, OR *
A few that JB is showing on their website that might suit your earlier descriptions: selection of drop-bar and flat-bar commuter/touring bikes.

Such as:

Then add waterproof pannniers, fenders, lighting, etc.
Old 04-05-17, 06:31 PM
Clyde1820

MTBs where suggested and I would be fine with that as long as I can mount at least a rear rack and panniers on it (or something similar) to haul my things for work (lunch, a gallon+ of water, steel toed boots, and a metal clipboard full of paperwork, and a change of clothes for the gym). I'd also prefer it have a reasonably fast gearing on the top end so I'm not maxing the gearing out at 10mph.
Surly's Troll also might be an option. It'll certainly carry anything you toss at it, though it might not be as quick as some of the more-traditional commuter/tourer type formats (ie, LHT, Sutra). You can certainly configure that platform how you like it ... internally-geared hub or derailleurs, big wheels and tires, racks, panniers, fenders, either flat or drop bars, etc. For taller climbs and heavier loads, it's probably what I'd prefer over a lighter, faster rig. (But, that's me.)

Am familiar with the Crescent City area, by the way. Beautiful riding, out there. Lived in the region for many decades. But, lots of "rainy season" weather, fog, critters and crud on the road, hills, need for exceptional lighting, and so forth.

Enjoy the hunt.
Old 04-05-17, 06:57 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
I'm in Crescent City California. The nearest dealers that show on the Surly site is San Francisco and Portland. I'm right in the middle of those two.

I found this which suggests that there is a dealer 119 miles away from Crescent City.

Old 04-05-17, 08:59 PM
jwill226

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
What about something like the Cannondale Law Enforcement bike?

MTB, rear rack comes with it. 36 spokes front and rear. Good range in gearing. Might not win races but I shouldnt be last either.

*this site says I can't post links untill I have more posts here, sorry*

There is a Canon dealer about 30ish miles away. Would it be worth talking to them? I'm sure they wouldn't have one in stock.
Old 04-05-17, 09:22 PM
mackigator

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A Trek 520 from almost any year would be a good find and would ride well for a heavy rider. There''s also the cargo bike + mid drive assist options. A used Yuba Mundo with Bafang BBS-HD comes in view at 2k.
Old 04-06-17, 05:13 PM
jwill226

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I went to the Cannondale dealer today to see about getting fitted and bounce some questions off the employees. What a waste of time. They only had 3 different models on the floor. There was 3 employees, a young teen girl sitting at the register and 2 guys working on bikes in the back. All 3 saw me there for 20 minutes looking around at the bikes. I was the only customer in there the whole time. Not one of them approached me. Based off the colors all of the bikes where 2015 or 2016. I guess they're not into making sales.
Old 04-09-17, 11:01 AM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I went to the Cannondale dealer today to see about getting fitted and bounce some questions off the employees. What a waste of time. They only had 3 different models on the floor. There was 3 employees, a young teen girl sitting at the register and 2 guys working on bikes in the back. All 3 saw me there for 20 minutes looking around at the bikes. I was the only customer in there the whole time. Not one of them approached me. Based off the colors all of the bikes where 2015 or 2016. I guess they're not into making sales.
Exactly the way I would like it when I go into any shop... especially used cars. I want to go in, browse around, and when I have a question or interest in one of the products... I approach the people at the shop. Unless you really know the cannondale line up by year, I would be surprised if you could tell the model year by the color scheme.

I've read your posts in this thread... you seem to have a lot of comments about why you should not buy a bike - too far, spoke count, weight limit, gearing, customer service.... PULL THE TRIGGER! GET A BIKE AND START RIDING!... None of us have every little detail worked out before we start riding, that's why we spend time in the forum. However, the forum is more useful when you are actually riding and have some experience to share. DO IT!
Old 04-13-17, 09:16 AM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Long story short I had to sell off my bikes a few years ago to pay the bills and now I'm looking to get back into it. I'm 39 years old, 6' tall, and around 340lbs.

I want to start commuting to work, it's 12 miles each way. Mostly light country hill type of roads.

I would need to carry work boots, water, lunch, and a few other things for work, that's why I'm looking at touring type bikes as they are made for heavier weights and I can add the storage I would need for my things. Also I like to stop at the gym after work when I have the time so I would need to bring my gym clothes as well.

Considering I have been out of the cycling scene for a while is there something that would be better suited to my needs? I was raised on MTBs but last time I tried to ride one I was having a lot of issues with hand and butt area numbness that I feel was because of the cramped nature of the bike. The last bike I had was a Specalized road bike that was comfortable to ride except the seat was a thin little thing that didn't agree with that part of my body. I was riding that 60+ miles for a nice relaxing weekend ride with no issues once I had a set of wheels built for it at about 300lbs.

My bike budget is in about the 2,000 dollar range. After that I'll be looking into bags and a seat worthy of my size.

Any advice is welcome, thanks.
Weight of the bike is always an issue on longer commutes. I'd seriously recommend minimizing carrying load and bike weight, if possible.

I commute 50 miles r/t, which is probably equivalent to your 25, given your current lack of conditioning. My commuter is a road bike, but it's a relatively heavy 22-25 lb beast when loaded. When I compare riding it to riding my rec bike, which is closer to 15 lbs, that 10 lbs makes a hell of a huge difference. What you describe above, fully loaded, would weigh well over 30 lbs. I'd shutter to think what that feels like huffing up a long hill.

I suggest looking to leave boots and other non-essentials at work. I'd also suggest bringing lunches and other changes of clothes in by car on driving days. I guarantee you will have some--you are not going to ride all 5 days, no way. With a little planning, the ride to work thing can be quite fun. But, carry too much stuff or buy a big heavy bike and it will sit in the garage more than it will be on the road.
Old 04-13-17, 01:04 PM
breadbin

Bikes: Raleigh 531c, Marin Muirwoods, Brodie Romax

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
50 miles roundtrip???

OP, just book a hotel in a nice location where there is a good Surly dealer and make a night out of it. If you have a missus then bring her and get a nice dinner booked. Win win.
Old 04-13-17, 11:24 PM
donalson
just pedal

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, trek 560

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Unless I am mistaken, any shop with a QBP account can order you a Surly, but that doesn't mean you will be able to test fit/ride one before hand.
yup... a few of my local shops carry at least one or two bikes in stock and I've never been to any reputable shop that couldn't get them either complete or frameset...

as for fit/comfort... I have an oddball barsetup on my LHT... but someone mentioned how uncomfortable and in the way his gut was with the drop bars... that is only the case if you try to play racer boy... get the bars up to where you can ride the flats, hoods, and drops without too much issue is the key... for me that required a strange stem setup... some brands will send the bike without the steerer tube cut which is awesome assuming you can get the shop to NOT cut the dang thing until you figure out what height you really need... (with the heavier steel steerer tube having it full length isn't an issue)

Originally Posted by baron von trail
Weight of the bike is always an issue on longer commutes. I'd seriously recommend minimizing carrying load and bike weight, if possible.

I commute 50 miles r/t, which is probably equivalent to your 25, given your current lack of conditioning. My commuter is a road bike, but it's a relatively heavy 22-25 lb beast when loaded. When I compare riding it to riding my rec bike, which is closer to 15 lbs, that 10 lbs makes a hell of a huge difference. What you describe above, fully loaded, would weigh well over 30 lbs. I'd shutter to think what that feels like huffing up a long hill.

I suggest looking to leave boots and other non-essentials at work. I'd also suggest bringing lunches and other changes of clothes in by car on driving days. I guarantee you will have some--you are not going to ride all 5 days, no way. With a little planning, the ride to work thing can be quite fun. But, carry too much stuff or buy a big heavy bike and it will sit in the garage more than it will be on the road.

this all sounds spot on...

I'm 6'4ish and 330ish and have/ride a disc trucker that I built up with parts I had plus a few specifically for cruising around town and loaded touring... my bike itself is somewhere around the 30lb or more been a long time since I weighed it... it's great for slower paced rides... it's comfy... but when I get on my road bike (which is also a fairly heavy beast for a road bike) I feel like I'm flying even with the same sort of effort (as per my HRM)

would defiantly start with the 1/2 and 1/2 commuter option if possible... drive to work with the bike and and the next days work clothes, ride bike home, ride bike back to work next morning, then drive home, next day drive to work and ride home and back... other option is drive into work on monday with a few days worth of clothes, ride the next few days and then drive again when you need to get clothes home... some people drive part way to work and then ride the rest (longer commutes than you from what I've seen)... speaking of... we have a commuter sub forum here on BF... check it out... there are some real dedicated riders...

this is the disc trucker in it's original "road bike" trim... before I finished building it up for my tour and built up my road bike... it runs an oddball control setup... titec Jones H bars with deore brifters... I had LX but the shape of the deore was far more comfortable... the bars give lots of hand positions and the brifters let me shift and slow from the front or rear hand positions...

in touring mode... was a test ride the week before I went... tires went from 32c to "44"c (closer to 38-40mm) fenders, racks

the road bike that feels so much faster isn't anything amazing...
it's an '83 trek 520 "crit racing frame" running a near 20 year old drive train (9 speed ultegra)... and the real kicker is 32c tires... at my weight I can't imagine running less... the pressure required to get the optimal drop is still pushing the limits of the tires (actually over-inflate the rear slightly)
Old 04-26-17, 03:34 PM
jwill226

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Sorry I haven't replied in awhile. Work has had me going none stop lately. Where are down 3 guys in a 8 guy department so I haven't been able to leave town to search bike stores. I've been watching CL with no luck. I did get to sit on a Trek 520 in my size that wasnt for sale and liked the feel. I just asked some random guy I saw with one about it and he let me check it out for a minute.

Truth be told I'm getting discouraged and not looking forward to a day of driving at the risk of being treated like I have at the 2 LBS near me. The first one (C'dale) 3 people in the store and I was the only customer and no one even acknowledged my existance. The second shop (Trek) has nothing but low end MTB and refused to order me a 520 even though I had cash in hand. He said he wouldn't take the risk because if I changed my mind it would sit in his shop and never sell here.

One day when work slows down and I have the time I'll go hunting out of the area and see what I can find. Thanks again for all the advice and ideas.
Old 04-26-17, 08:26 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I think touring bikes make great commuters... and I ride a touring bike for my commutes. However, if I were in the market today, I'd be buying a Jamis Renegade. I just love the way that bike is designed and the versatility that it offers.
Old 04-29-17, 09:07 PM
jwill226

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Good news... finally. I found a shop that is ordering me a LHT. The should have it from the factory on Wednesday. On either Saturday or Sunday I will be making the 5 hour round trip drive to go get it. I'm excited.
Old 04-29-17, 09:19 PM
donalson
just pedal

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, trek 560

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
it was really that difficult to order?... did you get the complete or just frameset?

when I ordered my frameset I went into the more small town feeling LBS (he sold a bunch of older used bikes that he cleaned up along with the normal LBS bikes)... I went in and asked him how close he could get to the cheapest online price I'd found (that actually had it in stock AND included shipping costs in that number... I've spent enough time around LBS (hung out/worked at one for free on my free time) so I had plenty of time to run though the QBP catalogue and know what sort of prices he's dealing with... I told I understood he prob couldn't match but to let me know what he could do... he ended up coming very close and with the agreement that that price would include him installing my headset he ordered my new frameset...

granted I know you don't get the advantage on a complete bike of online shopping numbers... but still it shocks me you had such a hard time... I know I could walk in with cash to any of the 3 LBS within about 10 miles or less and they'd have it to me in a week...

but I guess that is neither here nor there... huge congratz... it's a great bike... you get the classic LHT or the disc? to be honest I only went disc because that is what I had the parts for... I'm certain I'd have been just as happy with cantis or Vs (depending on my bar setup) once it was all setup
Old 04-30-17, 01:56 AM
jwill226

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I went with disk. I'm in a rural are and road bikes aren't big sellers. Most people go for the low end MTBs. So I knew ordering would have to happen. Part of my problem is I've been working 6 days a week and just haven't had the time to go to shops. There are only 2 here for about 85 miles in any direction. I still can't believe the Trek dealer wouldn't order me a 520 when I was willing to put money down first. It's a small town and he's a one man shop so I was trying to keep my money local. I had the same problem with him about 7 years ago when I wanted a set of deep V wheels built for a road bike. He wouldn't do it so I went online and ordered a set that lasted me 3 years without needing trued when I got laid off and had to sell it.

The surly dealer I went through is up in Oregon so I won't have to pay sales tax and they will give my 5% off for paying with cash or check. So that's not too bad.
Old 05-06-17, 05:43 PM
jwill226

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I hate reading posts that have no conclusion so here it is, my new 58cm D-LHT. I just got her home today. I'm grinning like a little kid with a pocket full of candy.

The easy part is over (buying it), now it's time to put in the work.

Last edited by jwill226; 05-06-17 at 05:57 PM.
Old 05-06-17, 06:41 PM
Snuts
Mid Tour!

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods Racked out for this years Tour, Norco Indi 4 racked out from last years tour, Giant Defi II for week-end ripps.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Everybody loves New Bike day.

Enjoy yourself.

-Snuts-
Old 05-06-17, 06:45 PM
rickyk76

Bikes: Cannondale Slate; Crust Evasion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats!! Can't wait to see the tour pics! I know you got it for commuting, but, hey, take some road trips too.
Old 05-06-17, 06:54 PM
jwill226

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rickyk76
Congrats!! Can't wait to see the tour pics! I know you got it for commuting, but, hey, take some road trips too.
Truth be told I have a couple spots I want to work my way up to being able to camp over night. The first one isn't too bad, 35 miles and about 2000ft of climbing. The second is 50 miles and 5000ft of climbing up to the top of a mountain.

Considering I haven't been on a bike in about 5 years and I'm in the 340lb range it's gonna take some work to get there but that's what I'm pushing for. Ideally I'd like to do the easier one by the end of this summer.
Old 05-06-17, 07:08 PM
Snuts
Mid Tour!

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods Racked out for this years Tour, Norco Indi 4 racked out from last years tour, Giant Defi II for week-end ripps.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
You can have the ability to do the 35 mile one by the July long week-end. Take all day each way. Therefore simply plan on the other one by the end of summer.
Only suggested to inspire, enjoy.

-Snuts-
Old 05-06-17, 07:43 PM
jwill226

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Snuts
You can have the ability to do the 35 mile one by the July long week-end. Take all day each way. Therefore simply plan on the other one by the end of summer.
Only suggested to inspire, enjoy.

-Snuts-
That's what I'd like to do but I'm trying to keep my goals easily obtainable. I will push for the big ride but if I only make the small one I'll still be happy and will have a jumpstart on killing the big one next summer.

I just went out for my first ride. 2 miles and averaged 9.7mph. I could have gone further and a little faster but I'm just feeling the bike out. Or more to the point I'm testing the Clyde handling of the wheels. So far so good. I'm sweating in places I didn't know could sweat. Lol. Feels great to be on 2 wheels again.
Old 05-07-17, 04:48 AM
Clyde1820

I hate reading posts that have no conclusion so here it is, my new 58cm D-LHT ...
That'll work. It's a beauty.

As you say, now for the tough part. Or, the fun part. Plus all the little add-ons ... fenders, racks/bags, lighting, a different saddle, plus the inevitable few tweaks here and there. Congratulations on the new bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.