Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trek/Bontrager's new Perf Line bar tape review

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Trek/Bontrager's new Perf Line bar tape review

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-19, 09:03 AM
audiomagnate

Location: Omaha, the most bike unfriendly city in the Midwest!

Bikes: Cannondale Six 5, 89 Trek race bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by CarloM
Are you still loving the tape? Thinking of picking it up today. Have an all black bike and was thinking of either the blue or the volt (yellow) accents...
Definitely totally loving it. The only revision of my past statements is concerning tackiness/ slipperiness with sweaty hands or in the rain. After a short ride in the rain I can have to say it definitely gets a bit slippery when wet, so there are probably slightly better tapes in that particular department.
Old 09-02-19, 09:07 AM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by audiomagnate
Definitely totally loving it. The only revision of my past statements is concerning tackiness/ slipperiness with sweaty hands or in the rain. After a short ride in the rain I can have to say it definitely gets a bit slippery when wet, so there are probably slightly better tapes in that particular department.
Thanks! If I can ask for a clarification...where I live it rarely rains and when I do, I don't ride. However I sweat a lot on warm days, so is the tape slippery for any moisture? Because sweat and rain are different types of moisture, if it gets a bit slippery in rain, but stays grippy with sweat, then I'm still interested. If it gets slippery with any moisture I may have to pass since I generate a fair amount of sweat while riding.
Old 09-02-19, 09:30 AM
audiomagnate

Thanks! If I can ask for a clarification...where I live it rarely rains and when I do, I don't ride. However I sweat a lot on warm days, so is the tape slippery for any moisture? Because sweat and rain are different types of moisture, if it gets a bit slippery in rain, but stays grippy with sweat, then I'm still interested. If it gets slippery with any moisture I may have to pass since I generate a fair amount of sweat while riding.
I rode most of August in Atlanta with it in high humidity and temps in the 90s. My rides are typically 25 to 30 miles with a couple thousand feet of climbing and I sweat profusely and ride without gloves. It wasn't a problem, I really didn't think about it, which is a good thing. Maybe that's the purpose of the little holes, to allow some of the moisture down into the more absorbent underlayer. When hot and dry the tape is actually slightly tacky, when sweaty it loses its tackiness but doesn't get dangerously slippery, unlike some other tapes I've used. I hope that helps.
One other point. I find myself using the drops more often with this tape. I used to be a little fearful of using them, but the security this tape offers has given me the confidence to use them on tricky fast descents, the same ones I used to use the hoods for in the past. It shows in my Strava times.
Old 09-02-19, 09:57 AM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Very helpful, thank you! Wish the two shops near me that sold supacaz and bonty were next to each other so I could easily compare. I think I am going to take a chance on this one. This will be my first attempt at replacing bar tape. I’ve watched a dozen videos and now it’s time to put it into practice!
Old 09-02-19, 10:18 AM
audiomagnate

Very helpful, thank you! Wish the two shops near me that sold supacaz and bonty were next to each other so I could easily compare. I think I am going to take a chance on this one. This will be my first attempt at replacing bar tape. I’ve watched a dozen videos and now it’s time to put it into practice!
It comes with a peel off strip and adhesive in the center, but the good news is that if you mess up, like I did several times, you can easily unwrap and redo.
Old 09-02-19, 10:28 AM
CarloM

Originally Posted by audiomagnate
It comes with a peel off strip and adhesive in the center, but the good news is that if you mess up, like I did several times, you can easily unwrap and redo.
I fully anticipate needing to unwrap and redo. However I’m also hoping that my memory recall from wrapping tennis racquet grips from my high school days comes back to me. Maybe it’s just like...riding a bike.
Old 09-02-19, 12:02 PM
CarloM

So...ended up with the Supacaz. Turns out the Helens near me did have both the Supacaz and the Perf. They allowed me to open the Supacaz and compare the feel of the two. Now that’s not a great representation of what it will feel like on the bar, but I slightly preferred the Supacaz. They do have a lot of bikes with the Perf tape on it, so after I install the Supacaz I may ride by there and compare the feel of the grips when they’re on the bars. That will I form my next purchase of whether I’ll stay with the Supacaz Sticky Kush or give the Perf Line tape a go.
Old 09-02-19, 03:25 PM
CarloM

I didn’t do a great job, but for my first time it could have been a lot worse. Learned a lot though for next bar tape install...

I will say this: it wasn't until trying out the Perf tape on a Domane bar, and now Supacaz on my TCR bar that I realize how much I don't like the stock bar tape that came with my TCR. Giant really did go top-tier on this bike, full Ultegra drivetrain, no corners cut, and my LBS did me a solid swapping out the Black Inc wheels for me at no charge so I can't complain. But that bar tape was the one thing that could have stood improving. Even the tape on my 2018 SuperSix was marginally better, but also doesn't compare with the Supacaz or the Perf Tape.

Last edited by CarloM; 09-02-19 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-31-20, 10:04 AM
audiomagnate

Are you still loving the tape? Thinking of picking it up today. Have an all black bike and was thinking of either the blue or the volt (yellow) accents...
I am! I have about 2500 miles on it and it's holding up pretty well.

Last edited by audiomagnate; 08-31-20 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-31-20, 12:36 PM
ScottRiqui

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by skipm
+1 on the bar tape, it came on my 2020 Domane SL 5 as well. According to the spec sheet the official name is "Bontrager Supertack Perf tape". I don't have much experience with other bar tape except for Salsa and Specialized, never really even gave it much thought before, but I remember thinking the first time I climbed on the bike that this was some seriously cushioned bar tape!
Supertack is a different product - it has a bunch of embossed dots and embossed Bontrager "b" logos. My Domane, like yours, came with the Perf Line tape, despite what the spec sheet says. I talked to the manager at the local Trek shop yesterday, and he said that they use the Perf Line tape on all their Domane/Madone/Emonda models regardless of what the spec sheet says, just because they like it so much and the feedback from their customers has been universally positive.
Likes For ScottRiqui:
Old 09-02-20, 10:15 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I bought some after reading the OP of this thread. I managed to break it during application, but repaired that with a bit of electrical tape. It is pretty nice, but not quite as robust as I would have liked, and has a tendency to move around a bit. All of this I freely admit is user error, but it is enough to make me go back to other options when I can save up enough money for some new bar tape.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 09-02-20 at 10:19 AM.