Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-20, 06:36 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
There was at least one threadless stem from ye olden dayes of the early 1990s that adhered pretty closely to the quill stem appearance: the Ibis titanium stem. Single bolt clamp for both ends, the steerer and handlebar. Svelte appearance, but the trade-off was you had to strip the handlebar to swap it out, as with most quill stems. The later multi-bolt designs with detachable face plates were more practical, at least for racers.

Here's an amusing sale ad from craigslist, 2003, for the l-o-n-g Ibis titanium threadless stem: Ibis titanium stem -- long as a cat's leg

Ibis titanium threadless stem, approx 130mm. Not mine.

Cat and stem not mine. Considering it's a photo from 2003, the cat is probably long gone. The titanium stem is probably still going strong.

That Ibis stem from the old craigslist ad was designed to be horizontal when installed. Mine is angled slightly upward and can't be changed by flipping it. But the angle is comfortable for me so it's fine as-is.

My Trekenstein Trek 5900 bought from texaspandj last year came with the original Ibis stem. Lovely thing. At the time it was a little too long for my achy injured neck, so I replaced it with an FSA stem -- the typical chunky looking thing with 4-bolt detachable face plate. And an FSA Omega compact drop bar with shorter reach.

Trekenstein with the relatively sleek Ibis titanium threadless stem. Single bolts for steerer and handlebar clamps. No detachable face plate so it's necessary to strip the handlebar for swaps. Not great for pro racers, but not a big deal for us ordinary folks. (Essential Ironman relevant content: Most of those components on that '93 Trek 5900 came from an Ironman. So it's sort of a Centrekion Irontrek.)

Closeup of Ibis titanium threadless stem, single bolts for each clamp. At the time, using a lovely Nitto B65LL drop bar. Soon to be replaced with a Soma Highway One to shorten the reach and drop a bit to suit my creaky old neck.

However with lots of physical therapy I may be able to handle the Ibis stem again, particularly with a handlebar with less reach. I discovered the Soma Highway One bar is nearly identical to the FSA Omega and Gossamer compact drops. A couple of local friends use that Soma bar on their Bridgestone steel bikes. So while the Trekenstein is currently out of service waiting for headset repairs, I'm going to order that Soma bar, and put the original Ibis stem back on. That'll restore the sleeker appearance it originally had, with a handlebar better suited to my limited flexibility.

And the FSA Omega drop bar can go on the newer Diamondback Podium frame project, which will look fine with the chunky headset and fatter diameter handlebar.

Last edited by canklecat; 02-21-20 at 06:47 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 02-22-20, 09:57 PM
robertj298 

Bikes: 1983 Univega Super Strada, 1986 Panasonic DX5000, 1984 Fuji Team 85 Univega Gran Turismo, 1984 Lotus Unique, 1987 Centurion Expert, 1987 Centurion Ironman Master,

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 182 Posts
My favorite
Likes For robertj298:
Old 02-23-20, 05:51 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
My First...

Too small for me, but how could I resist. It's practically NOS. Check out the big ring, and brake blocks (though it just shows how little it takes to leave marks on some anodized rims). The tires even still have the nubs on them. Going up for local sale, North Jersey CL.

Crazy cool, (except for the overly padded saddle).

A little basic maintenance, and a few bits soaked in evaporust overnight, some new bar tape... Ready for someone to start putting some miles on it.
Old 02-23-20, 07:37 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
They are still out there...

Ace and bone clean.
Looks 56cm. 54cm and we'd be talking....
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
Too small for me, but how could I resist. It's practically NOS. Check out the big ring, and brake blocks (though it just shows how little it takes to leave marks on some anodized rims). The tires even still have the nubs on them. Going up for local sale, North Jersey CL.

A little basic maintenance, and a few bits soaked in evaporust overnight, some new bar tape... Ready for someone to start putting some miles on it.
Old 02-23-20, 09:13 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Ace and bone clean.

Looks 56cm. 54cm and we'd be talking....

Robbie, you are no help at all.*

A month ago, I was told 54 cm, on an under 40 degree day, windy and raining - with the saddle slammed down, it was all I could do to ride it across the parking lot to feel it if tracked ok. It had black grease splattered all over, under the rain. In addition there was an impatient wife in the seller's passenger seat. At home. I made coffee,dried it off and squirted WD-40 into everything, and put it aside.

Head tubes with different color lugs, confuse me, apparently. I didn't even notice while cleaning and taking pictures this afternoon. I can't sell it, not before tuning the fit and putting some miles on it. Not gonna happen.

Actually I would have felt worse, if I found out later. So, Thx. Tomorrow is going to be in the fifties again...
Old 02-23-20, 10:04 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts

Squeaky clean!
Old 02-24-20, 05:36 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts

Cool and clean LeMans.
Old 02-26-20, 08:18 AM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by ddeand
I’m one of those who tries to limit my inventory, so I really don’t let myself drift into the true collector mode. But I’m also trying to optimize the quality and fit if my rides. I was able to pick up an Ironman for a tad over a c-note this fall, and I rode it a couple hundred miles, as is, to see if the geometry would work for me - and it really feels great! So . . . my plan is to build it up as my main vintage rider (I also have a CX bike for gravel and general riding) - it will get about 50% of my miles. Because if my age and level of comfort and safety with my bikes, I’ll be removing just about every component on the bike and swapping in a full Dura-Ace 8-speed group with the early shifter brakes. This group will come off of my 1980 Miyata Pro which has been my vintage rider for the past couple years, but which narrowly lost out to the Ironman. While I was OK with the Ironman 105 setup, I feel much safer with the controls at hand. Right now, all the components have been removed from the bike, and I’m trying to find paint to match the colors so I can get the touch-ups done. Then, I’ll reassemble with the D-A pieces. Looking forward to this winter project!

Any updates on your Miami Vice project?
Old 02-26-20, 05:22 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
Any updates on your Miami Vice project?
Thanks for the interest. So far, I have the bike completely disassembled and all the parts have been cleaned and ready to go. But since it’s still winter here in the Twin Cities, I can’t get the touch-up painting done. I have about 20 little spots that need to be touched up, and I have most of the priming and leveling done (see pic). I plan on using an airbrush for the spot work. If that goes well, I might use the airbrush to paint frames. I’m also practicing re-covering bike seats. The Ironman will get a yellow leather seat with yellow bar tape, and white cables. The groupset will be 8-speed Dura-Ace (brifters). I may not be very fast on the bike, but people will know I’m coming! I’m also working on a funky-cool bike for my grandson. But again, I’m not allowed to strip paint in the house. I hope to be able to get a decent paint match on the MV - we’ll see.

Old 02-27-20, 11:26 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

I no longer live there, or it would be gone.

Originally Posted by hazetguy
Has this been posted before? I mean the ad has been up for a month, price seems reasonable. What am I missing? If it were my size I would be really tempted.

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/bik/d...065388259.html

Centurion Prestige Road bike 56cm Tange Cr-Mo steel - $180

Centurion Prestige Road bike. 56 cm Tange Cr-Mo double butted tubing frame & fork. Good for riders 5’ 8” up to 5’ 10”. Pending pant inseam
Older bike but rides like new. It’s needs a bath (it’s not a Picasso) and a new front tire that I can provide. Selling only to purchase new wheels for another bike.
Campagnolo 9 speed Mirage Shifters, Campagnolo Veloce rear derailuer, Campagnolo Mirage front derailuer and Campagnolo Mirage triple cranks. Bianchi wheel with Campagnolo rear hub. Mavic front wheel with Shimano 600 hub. Shimano 600 brakes.

Old 02-27-20, 11:45 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by hazetguy
Has this been posted before? I mean the ad has been up for a month, price seems reasonable. What am I missing? If it were my size I would be really tempted.

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/bik/d...065388259.html

Centurion Prestige Road bike 56cm Tange Cr-Mo steel - $180

Centurion Prestige Road bike. 56 cm Tange Cr-Mo double butted tubing frame & fork. Good for riders 5’ 8” up to 5’ 10”. Pending pant inseam
Older bike but rides like new. It’s needs a bath (it’s not a Picasso) and a new front tire that I can provide. Selling only to purchase new wheels for another bike.
Campagnolo 9 speed Mirage Shifters, Campagnolo Veloce rear derailuer, Campagnolo Mirage front derailuer and Campagnolo Mirage triple cranks. Bianchi wheel with Campagnolo rear hub. Mavic front wheel with Shimano 600 hub. Shimano 600 brakes.

That's a very prestigious bike for that price. I'm saving up my Prestige buying for the 86 Lavender model that I could find one day, maybe. It will probably never happen, but a person can dream. I'd take an 85 as well.
Old 02-27-20, 11:52 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
That Prestige is tempting. My size too. But I have a feeling my apartment manager would have a conniption if I brought another bike home.
Old 03-01-20, 04:55 PM
seypat

For the Texas chapter, the wife attended a wedding in Waxahachie yesterday. It was held at a place called the Vine Barn. The bride lives in Crawford.
Old 03-01-20, 05:28 PM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by seypat
For the Texas chapter, the wife attended a wedding in Waxahachie yesterday. It was held at a place called the Vine Barn. The bride lives in Crawford.
My daughter lives in Waxahacie an hour from me and Crawford is 30 minutes away.
You should've made the trip then you and I could've rode. I'd a let you borrow an Ironman. Man it was beautiful weather yesterday too. Sunny and 75. Maybe next time.
Old 03-01-20, 05:55 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by texaspandj
My daughter lives in Waxahacie an hour from me and Crawford is 30 minutes away.
You should've made the trip then you and I could've rode. I'd a let you borrow an Ironman. Man it was beautiful weather yesterday too. Sunny and 75. Maybe next time.
I had to stay home with the kids. A senior and a sophomore. Both had conflicting activities, so I was a chauffer.
Old 03-01-20, 06:03 PM
Distanc3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These Centurion Ironman are pretty awesome, were there years that were more desirable than others (Paint scheme aside)? the Miami Vice is my favorite!
Old 03-01-20, 06:07 PM
seypat

On the bike front, I built the Turbo with Suntour barcons. I had acquired a couple of sets and the Shimanos are on other bikes. I've been riding I around without bar tape until I decided if the Suntour barcons were keepers on that particular bike. I decided this weekend and also got a vision for the finished look. Since the beloved Sun ME14A rims only come in black, I need suggestions for decent silver rims. I already have some CR18s. I was going to order some Mavic Open Elites, but some reviewers said they are soft and flimsy. What say IM Nation?
Old 03-01-20, 06:15 PM
seypat

I'm not getting any closer to an 86 Lavender Prestige, but I did pick up another bike with a color that is kind of close. I need suggestions for cable/bar tape color. I think gold metal cable would look good but not bar tape. What say the IM Nation again? I would post the bike, but it's not a Centurion. Here's a little bit of the frame. The brand decals are black with a gold/yellow outline.

Last edited by seypat; 03-01-20 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-01-20, 07:09 PM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by Distanc3
These Centurion Ironman are pretty awesome, were there years that were more desirable than others (Paint scheme aside)? the Miami Vice is my favorite!
I think it just comes down to personal taste as far as desirability. I think that's why I have my favorite one of each year offered....well except for '85. But someday I'll have it too.

Last edited by texaspandj; 03-01-20 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-01-20, 09:44 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
Nice looking business cards you got there.

If it wasn't Texas and I hadn't convinced my husband to go to Disney last week (we took the kids, of course), I might just load up Bandit and race ya.

Amazing build. I'm so thrilled. What's the status on that seat post?
Old 03-02-20, 08:32 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Seat post and frame are mates. It will not be an amicable break up. Time will tell. They are both doing drugs....so there is hope.

I may switch wheels to red spoked Bontager Race XXX Lites. I mean, red spokes...they are coming in on a different bike, an Italian carbon, and Do Not Belong On That.

Time heals wounds and re-organizes bike builds.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 03-02-20 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-02-20, 09:17 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
Seat post and frame are mates. It will not be an amicable break up. Time will tell. They are both doing drugs....so there is hope.

Time heals wounds and re-organizes bike builds.
I would not recognize that ‘88 in a different set of circumstances.

Is it horrible of me to say, “thank goodness it wasn’t just my inexperience that led me to believe that post was truly *stuck*”?
Old 03-03-20, 05:49 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by TriBiker19
Is it horrible of me to say, “thank goodness it wasn’t just my inexperience that led me to believe that post was truly *stuck*”?
Not at all. The post and frame were wed in 1987. 33 years is a long time.
Old 03-04-20, 01:54 PM
seypat

Bumping this one so the Triple IM OP can introduce himself.
Old 03-04-20, 02:15 PM
seypat

Looks like Hotter'n'Hell is a go. I have registered and have a room and a bike in the works, inspired by TXSailor's 'Haze.

Red wrap will suffice. Black housing, but red RD housing.

Innicycle headset/steerer.
Now THAT's a unicrown.... (UniCROWN, Pat ...don't get excited...)
I took another look. Is that a carbon fork with a repaint? That looks so much better matching the rest of the paint. It doesn't look bulky at all. BTW, I should find out this month which weekend we will be moving the son to college late summer. I'm gonna try to make the HNH if I can. Of course with the current expanding virus situation, most of the events in the next 5 or 6 months will probably be cancelled. I think my annual birthday run(the Shamrock Dolphin Challenge) in 3 weeks will squeak by. After that, who knows. My wife works in the lab at a local hospital. They started putting up isolation tents today. I don't think we even have any cases in VA yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.