Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Identifying Where A Squeak's Coming From

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-18, 01:16 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts

My bike makes an occasional deep squeak when I adjust position and haven't got a clue were it's coming from ... is there any way to narrow it down.

I guess the areas it's going to be from are either seat, handlebars / stem or bottom bracket, I've tried to be aware of if I'm just moving my body in the seat and not any more pressure on the BB or the handlebars if it does it but I can't really tell and it's hard to "make" it happen as it's not all the time.

If anybody knows on any formal ways of identifying or eliminating where it's from would be much appreciated.
Old 06-27-18, 05:29 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Good luck, any place where two parts mate together is suspect! Try maintenance on the headset, that's a great place for squeaks to hide. Some light lube and retightening of your saddle to seatpost area?
Old 06-27-18, 06:39 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 390 Times in 226 Posts
You can narrow the source down a little bit by determining if the squeak occurs only when pedaling and not when you are coasting.
Old 06-27-18, 06:48 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by GeezyRider
You can narrow the source down a little bit by determining if the squeak occurs only when pedaling and not when you are coasting.
Or when you're sitting on the saddle or standing on the pedals. If it's only when seated it's probably the seatpost clamp or saddle rail clamp. The first moment I hear a squeak I stand up and see if it still squeaks.

If it squeaks regardless of my position I pull over and tighten the rear wheel skewer. 50% of the time for me that's it.
Old 06-27-18, 07:03 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I always start with the saddle.
Old 06-27-18, 07:52 AM
Witterings

I think it probably is the saddle and I guess most likely the saddle rail clamp but everything on it's tight as I#ve altered the saddle quite a bit to get the right angle and made sure it's tightened up fully when done.

Is spraying it with GT85 / WD40 a good idea???

I'm guessing putting that on the seat post clamp's probably not a good idea??
Old 06-27-18, 09:02 AM
meerzistar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you sure its a squeak and not a creak. Aluminum seems to creak more/less. Even when parts are torqued down adequately . Over torquing fasteners might even make it creak more? It seems to be true with the lighter more rigid metals. Sounds also resonates faster and may sound louder in metals like aluminum. I dont recall low quality bikes making some of the pings and creaks high quality bikes make. I always accepted it as "normal" to have occasional creaking. As long as its not in my bones I'm fine with it.
Old 06-27-18, 09:26 AM
Witterings

Originally Posted by meerzistar
Are you sure its a squeak and not a creak. Aluminum seems to creak more/less. Even when parts are torqued down adequately . Over torquing fasteners might even make it creak more? It seems to be true with the lighter more rigid metals. Sounds also resonates faster and may sound louder in metals like aluminum. I dont recall low quality bikes making some of the pings and creaks high quality bikes make. I always accepted it as "normal" to have occasional creaking. As long as its not in my bones I'm fine with it.
Much better description than I used yes definitely more of a creak than a squeak ..... I do have a problem though telling of it's the bike or my bones

Last edited by Witterings; 06-27-18 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-27-18, 09:29 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Look for the mouse droppings.
Old 06-27-18, 09:00 PM
Tbobx

Location: Lakewood Ranch FL, Occassionally Woods Hole MA and East Marion NY

Bikes: Seven AxiomS Road, Colnago Master Saronni Del Tongo, Trek 1.5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Fixed a creaky rattle today

I had a creaky rattle when going over small bumps that I thought was coming from the headset even though I couldn’t feel any play. On a lark I tightened the front skewer 1/4 turn and it disappeared. Glad I didn’t dismantle the headset.
Old 06-27-18, 09:19 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Start with the easy stuff. It’s very likely the last thing you worked on, or something related. I wouldn’t tear anything up without checking the easy stuff first. The voice of experience talking here.

-Kedosto
Old 06-27-18, 11:33 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
I had a clicking when riding my Cannondale. Damn, I looked at everything and couldn't figure out what it was. It only happened at high cadence (high for me, anyway) and seemed to be in time with the crank. Couldn't figure it out, click, click, click. Finally, while watching my crank looking for the click, rather than looking at the downtube shifters where I should have been looking, I noticed that the little plastic doohickie that was on the end of the toe strap was slapping against the toe clip on every revolution. Clipless pedals and new shoes -- problem solved. But, that's another story.
Old 06-28-18, 03:30 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
If it's a carbon bike it can be a real PITB to isolate the source... for me things that have creaked include the rear skewer (thought the bike was going to assplode!), the seat post wanted more fiber grip, the chainring spider bolts need snugging...
Old 06-28-18, 08:14 PM
meerzistar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I listened to my creaky crank from Brampton to Port credit. It could also be an indication that a refresh is around the corner. Over the long weekend thats what I plan to do, cranks and headset. A couple dabs of grease where the arms lock on will save a few squeaks later down the road. Those are big squeakers if the surfaces dry out.
Old 06-29-18, 09:03 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Here's my technique. Pedal in a cadence and conditions that cause the squeak. Remove hands from bars or just put the very tips of a finger on there if you feel safer doing that. Still squeaking? Not the headset or stem. Hold onto the bars, stand and pedal. Still squeaking, it's either the bottom bracket, pedals or wheels. If it goes away when you coast it's the bottom bracket or pedals. But more than likely when you stand and pedal with your hands on the bars, the squeaking will go away. At least for me the culprit has ALWAYS been the seat.
Old 06-29-18, 10:06 AM
Witterings

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Here's my technique. Pedal in a cadence and conditions that cause the squeak. Remove hands from bars or just put the very tips of a finger on there if you feel safer doing that. Still squeaking? Not the headset or stem. Hold onto the bars, stand and pedal. Still squeaking, it's either the bottom bracket, pedals or wheels. If it goes away when you coast it's the bottom bracket or pedals. But more than likely when you stand and pedal with your hands on the bars, the squeaking will go away. At least for me the culprit has ALWAYS been the seat.
I think is a good / logical way to approach but the problem is I can't "make" it happen, it does seem to be every time I move in the seat BUT that always virtually goes hand in hand with some extra pressure on the BB / bars and why I'm having so much difficulty tracing it.

That said I am 80% sure it's the seat now, I was going to have a look at over the weekend and see if I can induce the sound by pushing down / lifting / twisting the seat with my hands when I'm stood next to the bike rather than on it and try tightening everything up and see what that does..
Old 06-29-18, 10:31 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings
I think is a good / logical way to approach but the problem is I can't "make" it happen, it does seem to be every time I move in the seat BUT that always virtually goes hand in hand with some extra pressure on the BB / bars and why I'm having so much difficulty tracing it.

That said I am 80% sure it's the seat now, I was going to have a look at over the weekend and see if I can induce the sound by pushing down / lifting / twisting the seat with my hands when I'm stood next to the bike rather than on it and try tightening everything up and see what that does..
Assume it is your seat then. Some may disagree, but this has worked for me. Loosen the seat up pretty good. Liberally apply spray lubricant everywhere the rails and the clamp connect. Tighten back up really tight. Wipe off excess. Enjoy squeak free bike!
Old 06-29-18, 11:07 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Is it a leather seat? If so, try working some wax under rivets with a stiff brush.