Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Lance podcasts

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-20, 08:58 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Lance podcasts

Looks like Armstrong is not putting out many podcasts recently. Is he intentionally cutting back or can we expect him to at least do the Tour de France podcasts again this year?

or maybe he will do TV ?
Old 01-25-20, 09:13 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6957 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
I’m hoping he’s crawled under a rock and never comes back out.
Old 01-25-20, 09:18 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by Koyote
I’m hoping he’s crawled under a rock and never comes back out.
he had some great podcasts but now with the mysterious absence I’m stating to think the same (again) and not wanting to listen anymore
Old 01-25-20, 09:38 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,589 Times in 3,779 Posts
Although he did one recently, Lance has put his interview podcasts on a back burner. But he has said that he is planning on covering the TdF and other races again this season.

Last edited by cb400bill; 01-25-20 at 09:47 PM.
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 01-25-20, 09:49 PM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
Maybe he is focusing on the $30,000 bike ride he is putting together.
Old 01-26-20, 04:18 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I don't care if he wants to inject his insight and give people the inside dope on his podcast, but I do hope that NBC respects his lifetime ban this year and keeps him off the broadcast coverage.
Old 01-26-20, 04:20 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Off season for road racing. And it's hard to maintain momentum for radio and podcast programming. My family were in radio for years. I've dabbled in pre-recorded programs that were broadcast by folks with stations. That's time consuming enough. I considered trying record or live interviews and decided it would be way too stressful to make that commitment, knowing how often plans will fall through or communications glitches will thwart our plans.

It's not unusual for podcasters and freelance radio programmers to take a hiatus after the first season or two and brainstorm over how to keep it going... or whether to keep it going. Not many last more than one year.

And Lance isn't just doing it for ego or to pass the time. He's always thinking about business, branding, marketing. Same drive as when he raced, just a different game now.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 01-26-20, 06:29 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

He had 2 or three great interviews last year. Nothing yet this winter. Too much emphasis on his rides and his race with Hincapie (I don’t care about that stuff).

I guess he had a good 2 year run but I think I’m out this year.
Old 01-26-20, 06:49 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
It's not unusual for podcasters and freelance radio programmers to take a hiatus after the first season or two and brainstorm over how to keep it going... or whether to keep it going. Not many last more than one year.
Not many people have that much to say, or that much that people want to hear ... and the effort of thinking up stuff to say which people will want to hear can be tedious.
Old 01-26-20, 07:22 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,830 Times in 2,228 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
And Lance isn't just doing it for ego or to pass the time. He's always thinking about business, branding, marketing. Same drive as when he raced, just a different game now.
Let's hope his "different game now" doesn't involve spending time and effort threatening his racing contemporaries (many that helped him cheat victories), ruining the lives of truth tellers, attacking people in the media, and spewing lies to uphold his undeserved image as a winner. The world needs fewer people like Lance Armstrong.

Last edited by Wildwood; 01-26-20 at 07:53 AM.
Old 01-26-20, 09:06 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Let's hope his "different game now" doesn't involve spending time and effort threatening his racing contemporaries (many that helped him cheat victories), ruining the lives of truth tellers, attacking people in the media, and spewing lies to uphold his undeserved image as a winner. The world needs fewer people like Lance Armstrong.
this

as much as I liked learning in depth things about the TDF on the podcasts it appears even the podcasts were largely just about Lance and his tight knit group of cohorts (all me me stuff)
Old 01-26-20, 09:19 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Lance definitely offered valuable insight during the last TDF...
Old 01-26-20, 09:27 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,983 Times in 2,661 Posts
Like him or hate him he was in the pro peloton for quite.a while and could provide some interesting commentary. I wish he hadn't been such a terrible person when everything came out and just had come clean and apologized but he was still fun to watch during that time and he was the best of the dopers,
Old 01-27-20, 06:38 AM
Koyote

he was the best of the dopers,
That line can be read two different ways: one, that he was the best rider of all of the dopers; two, that he was the best doper among all of the riders.

If the second interpretation holds any validity, then Lance does not deserve even the faint praise that some still give him.

Last edited by cb400bill; 01-27-20 at 07:41 AM.
Old 01-27-20, 07:22 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
he was the best of the dopers,
That line can be read two different ways: one, that he was the best rider of all of the dopers; two, that he was the best doper among all of the riders.

If the second interpretation holds any validity, then Lance does not deserve even the faint praise that some still give him.
Definitely best rider of all the dopers.
I saw him race as a teenager, simply incredible. Not just as a Cyclist but as a Triathlete. He was national class at 15 and world class at 17. Couple his genetic gifts with his determination/work ethic, sprinkle some dope and you have a world beater.
Per his podcast, I've never listened to it. But I suspect if all he talked about was cycling it could get old pretty quickly for him, especially since he's not actually racing and only has his past experiences to draw on.
I only listen to Joe Rogan podcast and not all of them. He has so many different guest he's been able to keep it up for 10 years. Of course I only listen to the interesting (to me) ones, including when Lance was a guest.

Last edited by cb400bill; 01-27-20 at 07:41 AM.
Old 01-27-20, 07:37 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by texaspandj

I saw him race as a teenager, simply incredible. Not just as a Cyclist but as a Triathlete. He was national class at 15 and world class at 17. Couple his genetic gifts with his determination/work ethic, sprinkle some dope and you have a world beater.
Per his podcast, I've never listened to it. But I suspect if all he talked about was cycling it could get old pretty quickly for him, especially since he's not actually racing and only has his past experiences to draw on.
I only listen to Joe Rogan podcast and not all of them. He has so many different guest he's been able to keep it up for 10 years. Of course I only listen to the interesting (to me) ones, including when Lance was a guest.

Dopers are DQ’d precisely because doping destroys any ability to determine who actually was the “best rider.”

In other words, your statement is unprovable.

Last edited by cb400bill; 01-27-20 at 07:43 AM.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-27-20, 09:25 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts

We'll never really know about the first one, but the second is almost certainly true.
On paper at least, Lance shouldn't have been able to win a grand tour. He had the makings of a very good classics rider, but didn't have the natural ability to go up mountains (too big). His VO2 max was also very good, but not truly elite IIRC. Pre-cancer, he would have been more like a Wout Van Aert than an Egan Bernal type rider.

Last edited by OBoile; 01-27-20 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-27-20, 11:13 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
What a lot of people including myself have against Lance Armstrong and why we detest him is NOT the fact that he was a doper or even that he denied doping. What we have against him is the lengths he went to in order to destroy people's credibility and destroying people financially because they outed him as a doper. That was reprehensible of him and I for one will never contribute to anything that I think Lance Armstrong would make money from.

He should crawl back under whatever rock he came out from under.

Cheers.
Old 01-27-20, 12:31 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Forgiveness is divine. Let the guy put a product out and let the market decide if it is something that is wanted.
Old 01-27-20, 01:55 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Forgiveness is divine. Let the guy put a product out and let the market decide if it is something that is wanted.

I'm pretty sure no one here is saying he should be restrained from putting out a podcast, and I'm pretty sure the people on this forum are fairly likely to be part of that market that will "decide".

I do think he should be banned from the official broadcast of the race, and that putting him on was a pretty crummy decision by NBC.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-27-20, 03:04 PM
m3tal070

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
this

as much as I liked learning in depth things about the TDF on the podcasts it appears even the podcasts were largely just about Lance and his tight knit group of cohorts (all me me stuff)
Sounds like you have made the decision not to listen, though your OP seemed like there was some concern about the number of podcasts that Voldemort of Cycling was putting out? Beyond devolving into a bashing LA thread, not sure where this thread can go. Just sayin. The guys over at GCN put out some fun videos to watch.
Old 01-27-20, 03:13 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by m3tal070
Sounds like you have made the decision not to listen, though your OP seemed like there was some concern about the number of podcasts that Voldemort of Cycling was putting out? Beyond devolving into a bashing LA thread, not sure where this thread can go. Just sayin. The guys over at GCN put out some fun videos to watch.
We do have a lot of good stuff to watch concerning cycling.

I guess I feel now that Lance was promoting himself with the podcasts and not just trying to educate the fans on how things work at the top levels of cycling.
Old 01-27-20, 03:40 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Miele Man
What we have against him is the lengths he went to in order to destroy people's credibility and destroying people financially because they outed him as a doper. That was reprehensible of him and I for one will never contribute to anything that I think Lance Armstrong would make money from.

Cheers.
And if I recall correctly, those people did not even want to out him as a doper… Some of them were under subpoena, testifying in various lawsuits and such. And he still engaged in witness tampering and intimidation. his treatment of Greg LeMond was particularly heartless and cruel.

He never really expressed much regret or contrition for what he had done. He’s a bad person, and I will not listen to or watch any program that features him.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-27-20, 04:28 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

And if I recall correctly, those people did not even want to out him as a doper… Some of them were under subpoena, testifying in various lawsuits and such. And he still engaged in witness tampering and intimidation. his treatment of Greg LeMond was particularly heartless and cruel.

He never really expressed much regret or contrition for what he had done. He’s a bad person, and I will not listen to or watch any program that features him.
i think you are right on with your thinking
Likes For Rajflyboy:
Old 01-28-20, 07:39 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
Originally Posted by m3tal070
...... that Voldemort of Cycling ..... .
Genius .... perfect allusion, and I don't even read harry Potter. Worth the time spent reading until this point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.