Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Switching out rear rim on Raleigh hybrid

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-20, 02:48 PM
Miradaman

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Mirada, 1989 Trek 420, 1995 GT Timberline, 1979 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Co-Op DRT 1.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 49 Posts

Hey folks
Amateur question here — I have an opportunity to pick up a decent Raleigh C40 hybrid dirt cheap. Rear rim is bent to heck and wobbles all over. How do I find a new or used rim that’s compatible with the drivetrain in terms of gearing and fit and so on? Are these things universal enough that another rim that’s the same size with the same amount of gears will just swap on? Do I need to take the gears off the old rim and find a new one that they’ll fit on? Any insight is appreciated as always.
Old 02-21-20, 03:00 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
You need to know (a) the size of the rim (most hybrids have 700C, this is written on your tire), (b) the type of brakes (rim or disc), (c) the number of speeds (how many cogs), and (d) the method of attachment of the gears (freewheel or cassette - read this: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html)

Any local bike shop (LBS) you walk into will likely have dozens of replacement wheels hanging in the shop and would probably be able to have a new one installed on your bike the same day during the slow season (winter).
If they don't have one on hand, any LBS can order a basic replacement wheel for not too much, generally between $50 and $100 (depending on what type of gears and brakes) and up - more expensive wheels will have stronger 'double wall' rims and better hub bearings.
Old 02-21-20, 03:02 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
If you know the specs of the damaged wheel, then you can match it up with another.
Pretty universal. I would use your cassette with the replacement wheel, unless more than the wheel is bad.
Old 02-21-20, 03:18 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Is the metal actually stretched, or is it a "smooth wobble"?
The original rear wheel on my hybrid sustained a severe wobble that was the result of very uneven spoke tensions.
The bike was still newish to me and I had to make a panic stop.
I wasn't going very fast, but I did a wheel stand and kind of stepped off to the left.
The rear wheel was at least a couple feet in the air and leaned over about 45 degrees when it hit the ground.
It was bad enough I had to disconnect the brake because of rub.
I'd just acquired my tension meter.
Tensions were equalized per side and wheel was now a "good" wheel. Likely to STAY true.
Old 02-21-20, 04:13 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Miradaman
Hey folks
Amateur question here — I have an opportunity to pick up a decent Raleigh C40 hybrid dirt cheap. Rear rim is bent to heck and wobbles all over. How do I find a new or used rim that’s compatible with the drivetrain in terms of gearing and fit and so on? Are these things universal enough that another rim that’s the same size with the same amount of gears will just swap on? Do I need to take the gears off the old rim and find a new one that they’ll fit on? Any insight is appreciated as always.
It appears that you are talking about a complete wheel, not a rim. That particular model was produced for quite a few years and the specifications changed over time. The later models had an 8 speed cassette while the earliest ones used a 6 speed freewheel. New wheels are not normally sold with the cassette or freewheel installed, so you have to first determine the rear cog count and whether you have a freewheel or a cassette before anyone can make recommendations
Old 02-22-20, 11:05 AM
Miradaman

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Mirada, 1989 Trek 420, 1995 GT Timberline, 1979 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Co-Op DRT 1.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 49 Posts
Thanks much for everyone's input. Seems like a bit more money and effort than it's worth for a $25 hybrid but will file away for future reference. Guy pulled the posting after I talked to him about it so he must have sold it anyway.
Old 02-24-20, 11:15 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
If a bent rim was all that was wrong on a bike being sold for $25, it is likely it would have been very much worth the cost to repair or replace.

The other issue is that if the wheel was so mangled as to make test riding impossible, it might have been difficult to determine if that was the only problem with the bike.