Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Pacific Coast Bike Route

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Pacific Coast Bike Route

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-17, 05:28 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
I've cleaned up a couple of the posts that were offensive. Please remember that nobody here is superior than others and to please post respectfully.

Not everyone who signed up here knew everything about cycling. That's why they come here. To learn.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 02-26-17, 05:37 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by AdvXtrm
Taking a look at a part of the Northbound Pacific Coast Route, as in the East side of the road, some areas look absolutely ridiculous, treacherous, and unsafe. While considering that route, anywhere it looks like this, and looks better on the other side, then that's the side I will have to ride on.

Here are a few examples. Hide the imagery at the bottom for a better view.
All of your links look like normal roads on just about any tour I have done. I didn't see anything that I would have found noteworthy at all. Southbound is a more pleasant direction for the PC, but I don't think either direction is all that bad as long as you ride early in the day to miss the worst winds if going northbound.

If that kind of roads bother you a lot you might need to carefully pick routes that you find safer, but I think it would really limit where you can tour. Some folks do go as far as to limit themselves to stuff like the C&O or the Katy Trail. Personally I try to avoid those, but they do have advantages that make them ideal for some.
Old 02-26-17, 07:02 PM
AdvXtrm

Bikes: 2016 Novara - Safari

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
All of your links look like normal roads on just about any tour I have done. I didn't see anything that I would have found noteworthy at all. Southbound is a more pleasant direction for the PC, but I don't think either direction is all that bad as long as you ride early in the day to miss the worst winds if going northbound.

If that kind of roads bother you a lot you might need to carefully pick routes that you find safer, but I think it would really limit where you can tour. Some folks do go as far as to limit themselves to stuff like the C&O or the Katy Trail. Personally I try to avoid those, but they do have advantages that make them ideal for some.
OK thanks. PCH has a lot of terrible wrecks and fatalities on a regular basis. There are some rather unique things about it. You have beautiful and distracting scenery off to one side, a narrow and often two-lane highway, very little shoulder and sometimes none at all, and people distracted by conversations, cell phones, fiddling with the radio and what not, and all of this and more going on while traveling between 70 - 80 Mph+. Having these people blow by you within inches while weaving back and forth and being blown by the wind at those speeds in cars and RVs doesn't sound like a very good idea. Maybe I can find some other routes and ways to go about touring. I'm not giving up.
Old 02-26-17, 07:19 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Once you get north of Santa Barbara, it is very pleasant until you get to Monterey/Santa Cruz (where there are bypasses), and then it is nice again to San Francisco. North of SF, it is great all the way to Legget (where it joins the 101).

Still, you should ride north to south. It is reasonably safe. I have done it, and I wouldn't prevent my kids from doing it.
Old 02-26-17, 07:33 PM
AdvXtrm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Once you get north of Santa Barbara, it is very pleasant until you get to Monterey/Santa Cruz (where there are bypasses), and then it is nice again to San Francisco. North of SF, it is great all the way to Legget (where it joins the 101).

Still, you should ride north to south. It is reasonably safe. I have done it, and I wouldn't prevent my kids from doing it.
I plan on only going part way along the California coast, as it would be my first tour, and I'll be alone. Looks like I'll have to take a train up and then ride back down. I can only imagine the beauty I'll see and experience. I've done that route on a motorcycle once, and it was the most beauty I've ever seen in my life, but I know it will be just that much more engaging and beautiful on a bicycle. That was the last long ride I had on my motorcycle before I was hit and run over.
Old 02-26-17, 08:11 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
OK thanks. PCH has a lot of terrible wrecks and fatalities on a regular basis. There are some rather unique things about it. You have beautiful and distracting scenery off to one side, a narrow and often two-lane highway, very little shoulder and sometimes none at all, and people distracted by conversations, cell phones, fiddling with the radio and what not, and all of this and more going on while traveling between 70 - 80 Mph+. Having these people blow by you within inches while weaving back and forth and being blown by the wind at those speeds in cars and RVs doesn't sound like a very good idea. Maybe I can find some other routes and ways to go about touring. I'm not giving up.
I didn't find it to be all that unique when it came to the risks, but I do see your point. Still, I didn't really find it significantly more dangerous than other tours that I have done. We all have different tolerances when it comes to various road hazards, traffic, and so on, so I can see where it might bother some riders. On the other hand I met a lot of other folks doing the route along the way and none complained about the route. I guess that I didn't meet the ones who found it unacceptable because they went elsewhere.

Probably the worst thing about the route is the fact that there are a lot of rental RVs, but that is true of many rides that go through places of interest like a beautiful coast, a big national park, or whatever. I found that places like Yosemite, Sequoia, Yellowstone, or Glacier all have the same issues, but I wouldn't let it stop me from touring there.

One thing the route has going for it that mitigates some of the risk is often overlooked, but I think significant. The fact that it is heavily used by cyclists means that drivers are very used to seeing cyclists there and therefore used to watching for them.

Good luck on finding routes that suit you and that you find safe, beautiful, and comfortable.
Old 02-26-17, 08:37 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

before I was hit and run over.
OK, now I understand why you are worried.

I am paranoid, due to far less.
Old 02-26-17, 08:51 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18414 Post(s)
Liked 15,539 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by valygrl
If you are looking at those pix and thinking it's too dangerous, or even sort of considering riding on the wrong side, you are not ready to go on a bike tour.
Yep.
Old 02-26-17, 09:00 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I rode south from SFO last December, and there was plenty of traffic. Only one idiot in an RV honked at me before passing. I mean, really, I didn't know you were there. There was plenty of room in most areas for passing, and good light. But I turned on my helmet-mounted taillight when riding through shady areas. Took the lane on some of the downhills so no "crazy guy in a car" would attempt to pass at over 30 mph. For the most part, there is a shoulder, or the ACA route takes you off the main road.

Also, please don't even consider riding on the wrong side of the road. That is the most dangerous thing you could do, other than riding directly into oncoming traffic.

Last edited by alan s; 02-26-17 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-26-17, 11:12 PM
AdvXtrm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, now I understand why you are worried.

I am paranoid, due to far less.
I was transported to the area trauma center. I was left with multiple broken bones. Because I was run over, my chest cavity was crushed and caved in. My ribs were broken and were pushed through my lungs, puncturing them. Most of my major organs were damaged. I suffered head trauma, and was left partially paralyzed and crippled. I was eventually moved to a convalescent hospital because I was unable to care for myself. This happened last year. I got interested and began researching and learning about bicycles while still crippled and stuck in bed in the convalescent hospital. I found this forum and joined right away. I've come a long way since then, but I'm not quite there yet. I think I'm getting pretty close to giving it a go though, so I'm trying to sort out some final details. I'm left with some permanent injuries and some remaining paralyzation, but I've seen a lot of improvement. I'm not giving up. I still believe I can do this.
Old 02-26-17, 11:21 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

That is great. I think the Pacific Coast bike route is arguably the best one to begin on. Nothing ever is guaranteed, but I think another major accident like that in your lifetime is unlikely. One thing you could do if you are nervous about this is go with a group, or at least one or two others who have had more experience.

I only broke my ankle, but it completely undermined my confidence, which took awhile to regain.

Another thing you might want to consider is off-road touring.
Old 02-26-17, 11:42 PM
AdvXtrm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is great. I think the Pacific Coast bike route is arguably the best one to begin on. Nothing ever is guaranteed, but I think another major accident like that in your lifetime is unlikely. One thing you could do if you are nervous about this is go with a group, or at least one or two others who have had more experience.

I only broke my ankle, but it completely undermined my confidence, which took awhile to regain.

Another thing you might want to consider is off-road touring.
I really love the idea of off-road touring, at least for part of an overall route. Maybe off-road routes connected by some streets in-between. Logistically it brings on some other challenges. I think the main one is food, but I suppose you just pack as much as you need for how ever many days until you'll be able to access a store for resupplies again. As long as I could access a stream or pond somewhere, I could use a filter for water. I have very little experience with camping, but I've purchased all the supplies I need for it. I planned on camping anyway because I can't afford to stay in hotels and such, and I want to be outdoors anyways. The more outdoors and nature I can experience, the healthier and more at peace my mind, body and soul will be; that's what I need. I wonder if there are routes that link some some road with some off-road around here? Is that even "a thing"?
Old 02-27-17, 10:32 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
You may have to , The winter storms have washed away bridge supports and caused mud slides onto, and landslides taking out sections of the coast Highway.

one affected place..https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=570 will be Closed

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-28-17 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-27-17, 02:55 PM
AdvXtrm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
You may have to , The winter storms have washed away bridge supports and caused mud slides onto, and landslides taking out sections of the coast Highway.
Yeah, I know it's been a bad one. I'll definitely check the entire section I settle on. I'm only going to do part of the Cali route. Being my first time touring, I'm going to make it a relatively short one.
Old 03-03-17, 01:21 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

After the second multi-fatality head-on in my little neck of Highway 1 within a month, I am beginning to rethink my assurances that it is safe.

https://www.santacruzsentinel.com/gen...k-on-highway-1

https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/02/0...rash-on-hwy-1/

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 03-03-17 at 01:27 PM. Reason: added links for reference
Old 03-03-17, 03:03 PM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
wow wgscott, that is awful. but, car accidents can happen anywhere.

i didn't notice before you are in Santa Cruz - I lived there for 15 years, loved it.
Old 03-03-17, 04:18 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
wow wgscott, that is awful. but, car accidents can happen anywhere.

i didn't notice before you are in Santa Cruz - I lived there for 15 years, loved it.

Agreed. There are morons everywhere and it is getting worse with the popularity of the cell phone.

You can seal yourself up in a bomb shelter at home and be reasonably safe or you can take a chance and go out and explore the thousands ( maybe millions?) of wonderful beautiful roads the world has to offer. Or you can compromise and ride in places like the GAP or the Katy or like the bike trail in Italy that goes by this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1172.jpg (95.2 KB, 120 views)
Old 03-03-17, 04:27 PM
Snuts
Mid Tour!

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods Racked out for this years Tour, Norco Indi 4 racked out from last years tour, Giant Defi II for week-end ripps.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
If you are looking at those pix and thinking it's too dangerous, or even sort of considering riding on the wrong side, you are not ready to go on a bike tour.
Don't take that as a harsh statement.
Like a good doctor giving you "the facts". I see that point of view as well. So, experience will help get you through both decision making, and confidence.
I realize you are looking way down the road, and are planning a few short shake-down treks before the big tour.

Hell, my new (for this season) bike is loaded, and on it's stand next to my rec room chair/computer, so I am itchy too.

Enjoy your trip from conception, through planning and editing the photo's, ha-ha.

-Snuts-
Old 03-03-17, 04:32 PM
valygrl

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
thanks snuts - yes, although i might have said that more gently, that was my intention - it's fine (and smart!) to recognize you are not ready for something and take baby steps towards it!
Old 03-03-17, 04:39 PM
AdvXtrm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm working on settling on better routes where I can, and also adding conspicuity to myself and my bike. I also just got a "Take a Look" mirror that I hope will help seeing things coming up from behind. That's about all a person can do.
Old 03-03-17, 04:44 PM
valygrl

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you didn't mind travelling to your start I would say do the Mikelson Trail or one of those east coast towpaths, or Katy trail.
Old 03-03-17, 05:01 PM
AdvXtrm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you didn't mind travelling to your start I would say do the Mikelson Trail or one of those east coast towpaths, or Katy trail.
Thanks for sharing those. I'm bookmarking them now. I hope to make it out to those some day, but for right now, I'm stuck on the West Coast.
Old 03-03-17, 06:48 PM
Snuts
Mid Tour!

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods Racked out for this years Tour, Norco Indi 4 racked out from last years tour, Giant Defi II for week-end ripps.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
thanks snuts - yes, although i might have said that more gently, that was my intention - it's fine (and smart!) to recognize you are not ready for something and take baby steps towards it!
I can relate so well to AdvXtrm, and many others starting out so-to-speak.
I dreamt up my first long tour, 2400km last April. Turning it into an experiment, and goal involved a lot of test, try and do trips. Most of all, load my panniers on the bike each week-end and try to ride 100km/day. As that was my intended daily goal. As the weather improved, and my equipment collected I started to over night some.
I'm working on settling on better routes where I can, and also adding conspicuity to myself and my bike. I also just got a "Take a Look" mirror that I hope will help seeing things coming up from behind. That's about all a person can do.
I am lost without a rear view mirror, and fell very unsafe (not knowing completely what is going on AROUND me).

but for right now, I'm stuck on the West Coast.
Day trip picnics, even a trek to a friend, or family members yard to "camp" in their back yard. Each trip (and it is a complete trip start to finish), exposes potential changes or upgrades (downgrades, stuff to leave behind).

Hope this helps,

-Snuts-
Those are 4 different bikes, all with Mircycle mirrors on them (and I bought my first bike in March last year, hmm)
Attached Images
to Nippigon.jpg (96.4 KB, 114 views)
DSCN0157.jpg (97.4 KB, 115 views)
DSCN0027.jpg (96.3 KB, 114 views)
Old 03-03-17, 06:51 PM
Snuts
Mid Tour!

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Let me add, once the first big tour was done. I knew, I really enjoyed it and I am a solo Tourist.
Looking back, I cherish the fear I had and overcame. Found out a lot about me, my faith and hidden abilities (strengths). And really looking forward to this up coming season.

Hope this helps,

-Snuts-
Old 03-03-17, 10:06 PM
AdvXtrm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snuts
Let me add, once the first big tour was done. I knew, I really enjoyed it and I am a solo Tourist.
Looking back, I cherish the fear I had and overcame. Found out a lot about me, my faith and hidden abilities (strengths). And really looking forward to this up coming season.

Hope this helps,

-Snuts-
I am planning some more local trips first. Maybe just a night or two to begin with. My bike has trekking bars like one of yours does. How do you mount that mirror on them? If this helmet mounted one I just bought doesn't work out for me for some reason, I'll have to give one of those a try. Thanks!

Last edited by AdvXtrm; 03-04-17 at 12:55 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.