Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Temptation to Cheat at Car-Lite

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Temptation to Cheat at Car-Lite

Old 03-30-18, 11:14 AM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Isn't that what ALL car people do?
Good point. Plus a person cannot cheat on something that has no rules or regulations. So unless someone wants to define what those rules are it is a misuse of the concept.
Old 03-30-18, 11:21 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3939 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 87 Posts
Isn't that what ALL car people do?
Yes, except the LCL may have arranged to not need it so much and the non-LCL also more likely to use it when they don't need to.
Old 03-30-18, 12:20 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
Yes, except the LCL may have arranged to not need it so much and the non-LCL also more likely to use it when they don't need to.
The "Need to Use" of the so-called non-LCL population as determined by whom, the moralists of the LCL persuasion?
Old 03-30-18, 01:08 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

The "Need to Use" of the so-called non-LCL population as determined by whom, the moralists of the LCL persuasion?
I assume you mostly drive when you need to, but maybe sometimes because you just feel like it, even though it's not really necessary. Congratulations on figuring out that you don't always need to drive.
Old 03-30-18, 01:28 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
The brain is a muscle. If you don't use it, it will atrophy. That said, communication is a fine art, and some do it it a lot better than others. If it's written well, reading should be a pleasure, not an efforts.
if your brain is a muscle ... I think I have figured out your problem.

Not everyone enjoys the Boston style ...

Me, I love pistachios but until they came shelled, I wouldn't eat them. Same with sunflower seeds.
Old 03-30-18, 04:42 PM
Mobile 155

I assume you mostly drive when you need to, but maybe sometimes because you just feel like it, even though it's not really necessary. Congratulations on figuring out that you don't always need to drive.
But don’t we all do what we do just because we feel like it? If someone believes they are car light because they ride their bike 60 percent of the time once they reach that 60 percent goal do they need to ride the bike?

What I am saying if you set a “goal” once you meet that goal are you not free to do whatever you want without changing status?

If no one can define car free they sure can’t define car light. If the goal is set by the individual there is no way one could cheat on that goal.

If however some third party gets to set the goal or standards they have to be listed before someone could be accused of cheating.

I still contend you can’t cheat on a game with no rules.
Old 03-30-18, 05:30 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
But don’t we all do what we do just because we feel like it? If someone believes they are car light because they ride their bike 60 percent of the time once they reach that 60 percent goal do they need to ride the bike?

What I am saying if you set a “goal” once you meet that goal are you not free to do whatever you want without changing status?

If no one can define car free they sure can’t define car light. If the goal is set by the individual there is no way one could cheat on that goal.

If however some third party gets to set the goal or standards they have to be listed before someone could be accused of cheating.

Ding, Ding, Ding, So... Yes you CAN cheat... Cheat yourself...
Old 03-30-18, 06:41 PM
Mobile 155

Originally Posted by 350htrr
Ding, Ding, Ding, So... Yes you CAN cheat... Cheat yourself...
Sorry, if it is my game I cannot cheat. Anything I do would be correct.
Old 03-30-18, 08:32 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

I don't know why you are arguing with me. I'm not the one who refers to it as cheating. By definition, a car-light person sometimes uses a car.
Old 03-30-18, 08:47 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
if your brain is a muscle ... I think I have figured out your problem.

Not everyone enjoys the Boston style ...

Me, I love pistachios but until they came shelled, I wouldn't eat them. Same with sunflower seeds.
Like many popular phrases in grammar, not always correct, but essentially accurate: if you exercise your brain, it will grow.
Sorry, if it is my game I cannot cheat. Anything I do would be correct.
Not when you set a goal. If that is the case, you can very well cheat.
Old 03-30-18, 08:58 PM
Mobile 155

I don't know why you are arguing with me. I'm not the one who refers to it as cheating. By definition, a car-light person sometimes uses a car.
I am simply stating the obvious. I wanted to be sure the terms were not slipping. It seems as if things do slip a lot in this forum.
Old 03-30-18, 09:19 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

I am simply stating the obvious. I wanted to be sure the terms were not slipping. It seems as if things do slip a lot in this forum.
I honestly don't get how you think people are changing the definition.

However, if we set aside the controversial word choice, I think the OP topic is still worth discussing. Some people are happy using a mixture of car and non-car transport and don't sweat the details, while others are deliberately trying to minimize their car use for whatever reason, and are struggling with it. The thread is mainly for those people, to talk about that struggle.

However I don't see that the definition of car-light is in any way up for review.
Old 03-30-18, 09:49 PM
Mobile 155

I honestly don't get how you think people are changing the definition.

However, if we set aside the controversial word choice, I think the OP topic is still worth discussing. Some people are happy using a mixture of car and non-car transport and don't sweat the details, while others are deliberately trying to minimize their car use for whatever reason, and are struggling with it. The thread is mainly for those people, to talk about that struggle.

However I don't see that the definition of car-light is in any way up for review.
You don't see telling someone that has decided to be car light that by using a car they are cheating isn't a redefining of car light? Ok, to each their own. I drop out.
Old 03-30-18, 10:59 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
This is an argument about an argument.
Old 03-30-18, 11:08 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

You don't see telling someone that has decided to be car light that by using a car they are cheating isn't a redefining of car light? Ok, to each their own. I drop out.
If you reread the OP, he wasn't saying any use of a car by an LCL person was cheating - he was referring to situations where a person striving to use a car only when necessary might use it when they could have avoided it. So they're cheating on their own rules. He made a faulty assumption that most LCL people would consider that cheating, but pretty well everybody in the thread told him they didn't.
Old 03-30-18, 11:40 PM
Mobile 155

Like many popular phrases in grammar, not always correct, but essentially accurate: if you exercise your brain, it will grow.Not when you set a goal. If that is the case, you can very well cheat.

Car light because I drive less. Less than what? Less than I once did. I once drove 20k a year. Now I only drive 4 to 5 K Goal reached I cannot cheat. Once the goal was reached the game is over. Always will be. By the definition most recognized in this forum car light people, whatever that really is, have already reached the goal once they start calling themselves car light. There is no car "lighter."

Person has two cars. drives both, goal is to have one. One car sold goal achieved. Car light by the forum definition can't cheat. Even if they never sold the car, they didn't cheat they gave up. DNF in racing. Cheating would be claim to do what you didn't. Calling someone a cheat when they are doing what they said is a false value judgement. Once a goal is achieved can anyone feel they cheated by not doing more? If you ride a century is it cheating not to ride an extra 50 miles?

Unless you have another definition of what car light is? But you may have your own opinion.
Old 03-31-18, 01:57 AM
KraneXL

Car light because I drive less. Less than what? Less than I once did. I once drove 20k a year. Now I only drive 4 to 5 K Goal reached I cannot cheat. Once the goal was reached the game is over. Always will be. By the definition most recognized in this forum car light people, whatever that really is, have already reached the goal once they start calling themselves car light. There is no car "lighter."

Person has two cars. drives both, goal is to have one. One car sold goal achieved.
Car light by the forum definition can't cheat. Even if they never sold the car, they didn't cheat they gave up. DNF in racing. Cheating would be claim to do what you didn't. Calling someone a cheat when they are doing what they said is a false value judgement. Once a goal is achieved can anyone feel they cheated by not doing more? If you ride a century is it cheating not to ride an extra 50 miles?

Unless you have another definition of what car light is? But you may have your own opinion.
So we can now all agree on the inherent problem here? Its the same reason most people fail on their diet: Ambiguous goal. If you ask them what their goal is they say to lose weight. Well if you weigh 350 lbs and you lose one pound you achieved your goal. When your goal is ambiguous the term "cheat" doesn't apply, and pretty much make the whole concept pretty much meaningless.
Old 03-31-18, 08:15 AM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 22ster
I've already been threatened by admin. The other posters brought religion derogatorily into your thread when it had nothing to do with it and it is my human right to defend an attack. I respect you but I don't need to be on a forum that promotes hate. God bless.
Please PM me with any good suggestions for other forums that are intelligent but have less bias against religion.
Old 03-31-18, 08:54 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by tandempower
Please PM me with any good suggestions for other forums that are intelligent but have less bias against religion.
There are lots of places to discuss religion. This isn't one of them, and I agree that people sometimes forget that.
Old 03-31-18, 09:04 AM
Mobile 155

So we can now all agree on the inherent problem here? Its the same reason most people fail on their diet: Ambiguous goal. If you ask them what their goal is they say to lose weight. Well if you weigh 350 lbs and you lose one pound you achieved your goal. When your goal is ambiguous the term "cheat" doesn't apply, and pretty much make the whole concept pretty much meaningless.
And now you see the point. How is car light as applied in the forum defined? Pretty ambiguous isn’t it? Now explain how one would cheat on car light?
Old 03-31-18, 09:07 AM
tandempower

There are lots of places to discuss religion. This isn't one of them, and I agree that people sometimes forget that.
That's why I asked the other poster to PM with a forum suggestion where religion isn't taboo, because it would be nice to explore other forums where one is free to mention religion-based thoughts as part of a post and not trigger anger and/or moderation.
Old 03-31-18, 09:31 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

That's why I asked the other poster to PM with a forum suggestion where religion isn't taboo, because it would be nice to explore other forums where one is free to mention religion-based thoughts as part of a post and not trigger anger and/or moderation.
Good luck with that. Religion is a divisive topic, which is why it's not supposed to be discussed here except in P&R. I'm sure there are multiple whole external forums specifically set up to discuss only religion, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a lot of hostility even there, because that's the number - I mean nature - of the beast.

Back on topic, I thought of driving to my accountant (at this time of year they work holiday weekends, no religious context intended) and barbershop, to get the errands done quicker, but decided I need the exercise, so I walked to the accountant this am and will walk to the barbershop later. They're both about 1km away in different directions, so in my mind too close to bike, yet not too close to think of driving, which is weird.
Old 03-31-18, 11:40 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Whether to drive a car is part of a belief system because materialism is a never ending cycle of desire enslaving us through consumerism, passions not possessions brings happiness and all of the best/efficient designs are the most simple, that includes the way the we live.
Can be.

So, when we go against this, we are cheating ourselves. Religion is a belief, they all teach good things, its the lack of beliefs that causes the problems, the cheating. You are right to try your hardest.
Might be Your religion ... but to some folks, it is just transportation. And as for "cheating" .... you make your own rules, and then complain because you break your own rules ... But that is your Choice.

I believe the Earth is flat, ships always appear mast first. Life is simple.
because ships travel underwater until they get close. everyone knows that.

Are ships car-lite?

I have a car, I plan on using it far less, hopefully stop altogether, because I want to stop cheating myself, I don't want to be a slave, I want to be free, I want to start with the man in the mirror and be a better person to myself, then I will change the world. God bless.
if you are enslaved by your own ideas, you will never be free, no matter how many or few miles you drive.

Free your mind.
Old 03-31-18, 12:39 PM
tandempower

Good luck with that. Religion is a divisive topic, which is why it's not supposed to be discussed here except in P&R. I'm sure there are multiple whole external forums specifically set up to discuss only religion, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a lot of hostility even there, because that's the number - I mean nature - of the beast.
It's too bad, because culture is diverse and we all have unique cultural ideas that influence how we think. It is nice to be able to be mindful of such cultural influences and express them freely within discussions, and to have that cultural diversity respected and even appreciated. Of course I agree that people should self-censor certain speech acts, but I won't get into which and which not and why because it would invite what essentially amounts to a P&R discussion.

Back on topic, I thought of driving to my accountant (at this time of year they work holiday weekends, no religious context intended) and barbershop, to get the errands done quicker, but decided I need the exercise, so I walked to the accountant this am and will walk to the barbershop later. They're both about 1km away in different directions, so in my mind too close to bike, yet not too close to think of driving, which is weird.
That's funny, I couldn't stand to go through the trouble of unlocking the car, starting it, and taking the risk of driving for 1km rather than walk. In fact, if I have enough time, I avoid biking short distances because walking means that much less wear and tear on the bike.
Old 04-01-18, 09:26 AM
KraneXL

Thing is, that's not the fault of religion. Banning religion doesn't ban hostility. More likely, just the opposite.
It's too bad, because culture is diverse and we all have unique cultural ideas that influence how we think.
That can be good or bad.
It is nice to be able to be mindful of such cultural influences and express them freely within discussions, and to have that cultural diversity respected and even appreciated. Of course I agree that people should self-censor certain speech acts, but I won't get into which and which not and why because it would invite what essentially amounts to a P&R discussion.
I couldn't agree more, however, most people are ethnocentric and scoff at anything new. So if it isn't their way or what they're use to, then you're automatically wrong.

I was always taught to embrace other cultures and extend courtesies as far as I can so long as they don't violate my fundamental beliefs. I draw the line at human sacrifices.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.