Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Car Free for 10 Years !!!

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Car Free for 10 Years !!!

Old 08-07-18, 12:14 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by vja4Him
I got rid of my last car (Dodge Caravan) 10 years ago, in 2008.
Congrats man! I remember my 10th anniversary. Almost purchased a car at 9 years but wanted to hold out for 10. Then I changed my mind. Still don't own one, although I do rent them now and again. Nice going. I know it's not always easy.
Old 08-07-18, 04:05 PM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Bikes: Yuba Sweet Curry eBike, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
When loaded, how far can you travel before needing a recharge? Do you know how long that will take from a standard 110AC source? Is it possible/practical to pedal that load (how heavy is it?) if your batteries run down for any distance or in hilly terrain without knocking yourself out?
I should get around 120 miles on a full charge. I don't know how long will take to charge .... I'm guessing around 8 hours ?
I tried pedal assist many times. Works great, but I will not be pedaling much. I can pedal easily fully loaded around 10mph, but not very far (bad knees).
Old 08-07-18, 08:07 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
I should get around 120 miles on a full charge. I don't know how long will take to charge .... I'm guessing around 8 hours ?
I tried pedal assist many times. Works great, but I will not be pedaling much. I can pedal easily fully loaded around 10mph, but not very far (bad knees).
I don't know what size, what type of batteries you have... but... 120 miles per charge seems a bit, well may be a huge... bit of hopefulness without pedaling… I they are "regular lead acid batteries" I give you a range of 33 miles, if they are Lithium Ion I give them a range of 66 miles without pedalling... NOW, if you pedalled... Who knows, it would depend on how much energy you put in... You could very well make that 120 miles range... as for charging time most batteries take anywhere from 3 to 6 Hrs each to charge... 4 batteries = 12 to 24 Hrs to charge... JMO, maybe some more info would change some of those numbers but that is what I see as the average scenario for you.
Old 08-07-18, 11:35 PM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
I don't know what size, what type of batteries you have... but... 120 miles per charge seems a bit, well may be a huge... bit of hopefulness without pedaling… I they are "regular lead acid batteries" I give you a range of 33 miles, if they are Lithium Ion I give them a range of 66 miles without pedalling... NOW, if you pedalled... Who knows, it would depend on how much energy you put in... You could very well make that 120 miles range... as for charging time most batteries take anywhere from 3 to 6 Hrs each to charge... 4 batteries = 12 to 24 Hrs to charge... JMO, maybe some more info would change some of those numbers but that is what I see as the average scenario for you.
My four batteries are 30amps each, LiFePo4. My charger is the Cycle Satiator >>> Cycle Satiator 48V 8A.
Old 08-07-18, 11:53 PM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
My four LiFePo4 batteries (20 amps each) will provide 3,840 Watts (20 amps x 48 volts). I am pulling around 30amps per mile. Divide 3,840 Watts by 30 amps = 128 miles. However, I have increased the Watts to 3000 and Amps to 60, so most likely will get less range. I'm hoping on at least 80-100 miles on a full charge. When I go on a long trip, I will find out for certain ...

Last edited by vja4Him; 08-08-18 at 05:53 PM. Reason: spelling, punctuation
Old 08-08-18, 09:13 AM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

WOW, those are good batteries... and, yes you should/could, get the 120Miles or so range with them, more if you pedal even just a little bit. as for the charging time 10Hrs+ seems about right depending on discharge level. IMO The question left now, is where & how you gonna get access to a power outlet while touring,?

EDIT; Having done 3 short tours 800KM each on an E-Assist bike myself, I had to rely on solar panels for power as a wall socket was nowhere to be found around here...

Last edited by 350htrr; 08-08-18 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-08-18, 11:40 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 1,041 Posts
IMO The question left now, is where & how you gonna get access to a power outlet while touring,?
A 120 mile long extension cord?
Old 08-08-18, 01:22 PM
350htrr

A 120 mile long extension cord?
Ha, Ha, My Question was a legit one, your answer, while being a smartass one is not a legit answer... Maybe he is thinking solar, maybe where he wants to tour every camping park has a plug in option, maybe a combination... I was just curious as to his solution to a major downside to touring with an E-Bike... as... Plugging into a McDonalds or such for 10Hrs in NOT a good option as I see it.
Old 08-08-18, 05:49 PM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
WOW, those are good batteries... and, yes you should/could, get the 120Miles or so range with them, more if you pedal even just a little bit. as for the charging time 10Hrs+ seems about right depending on discharge level. IMO The question left now, is where & how you gonna get access to a power outlet while touring,?

EDIT; Having done 3 short tours 800KM each on an E-Assist bike myself, I had to rely on solar panels for power as a wall socket was nowhere to be found around here...
Good question …. I have planned out my itinerary carefully …. I will be staying mostly at campsites that have electricity to allow at least 8 hours for charging. Also, I will be staying with Warm Showers hosts along the way. The two longest legs I have are around 70 miles each … Some days I will be traveling only 50 miles or less. I have tested the pedal assist and it is awesome ! I can pedal sometimes around 17mph, but only for short distances. I can pedal 12-14mph for a little longer, but not too far. So I will get a few extra miles from pedal assist. I also have regenerative breaking which charges when engaged. That will come in handy for traveling down hill, adding a little extra charge.

BTW …. I will carry a 100' extension cord !!! I have call dozens of campsites, and several places told me that I will need a very long extension cord.
Old 08-08-18, 05:51 PM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
One campground I contacted told me that I could leave my ebike inside the restaurant when they are closed, charging all night. Not sure I want to take that risk though. I would have to walk around a 1/4-mile to the campsite.
Old 08-08-18, 06:50 PM
350htrr

Good question …. I have planned out my itinerary carefully …. I will be staying mostly at campsites that have electricity to allow at least 8 hours for charging. Also, I will be staying with Warm Showers hosts along the way. The two longest legs I have are around 70 miles each … Some days I will be traveling only 50 miles or less. I have tested the pedal assist and it is awesome ! I can pedal sometimes around 17mph, but only for short distances. I can pedal 12-14mph for a little longer, but not too far. So I will get a few extra miles from pedal assist. I also have regenerative breaking which charges when engaged. That will come in handy for traveling down hill, adding a little extra charge.

BTW …. I will carry a 100' extension cord !!! I have call dozens of campsites, and several places told me that I will need a very long extension cord.
Re-gen is/can be a huge plus… Depending on terrain, I have found that on mainly flat ground, I may/can get about 5 to 10%, re-gen, IF, you use it conscientiously all the time, and is set up to use as a brake, or to re-gen on it's own when going down hills.. In hilly areas I can/could get up to 30%,+, BUT..... but, one must, pay attention to terrain and use it accordingly, 100% of the time. But then again my 30% equalling to about 6Km per charge would be hugely eclipsed by your "potential" of 30%... of lets say 100Miles would be 30 miles... But I would always use that as a "reserve", NOT a normal state of things...

as for the 100' extension cord I would rather carry a 120 watt foldable solar panel to use whenever opportunity presents... JMO as to what worked for me...

Last edited by 350htrr; 08-08-18 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-08-18, 08:42 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Whenever I think I have found the E-bike I want something shows up to make me wonder.

https://www.treehugger.com/bikes/ele...ge-charge.html
Old 08-08-18, 10:24 PM
350htrr

Originally Posted by Mobile 155
Whenever I think I have found the E-bike I want something shows up to make me wonder.

https://www.treehugger.com/bikes/ele...ge-charge.html
Bikes like that are NOT E-Bikes, not legal E-Bikes anyways… They are electric motorbikes... IMO
Old 08-08-18, 11:40 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes like that are NOT E-Bikes, not legal E-Bikes anyways… They are electric motorbikes... IMO
well the small one is listed as an assist. 112 miles and 750 Watts. With a top speed of 26 Mph it might qualify in my state. I keep looking and keep being drawn to some of the European machines. As long as it can be limited to 750 Watts I could get passed as a e-bike in my state. But the big boys are tempting even if I would have to get it registered.
Old 08-09-18, 09:06 AM
350htrr

well the small one is listed as an assist. 112 miles and 750 Watts. With a top speed of 26 Mph it might qualify in my state. I keep looking and keep being drawn to some of the European machines. As long as it can be limited to 750 Watts I could get passed as a e-bike in my state. But the big boys are tempting even if I would have to get it registered.
Yes, I suppose you can make any of them Legal, by restricting the power output to 750 watts and speed to 28MPH or whatever your state law says is legal... But I do find myself thinking that if you actually want to pedal, meaning you want to ride a bicycle, anything over 350 watts with a throttle is making that bicycle into a motorbike... You will find yourself pedaling less and less but still thinking you are still getting as much exercise as before... Whenever I start to think that, I shut off the assist and ride my ride without using the assist and it straightens out my thinking real quick.
Old 08-09-18, 12:15 PM
Mobile 155

Yes, I suppose you can make any of them Legal, by restricting the power output to 750 watts and speed to 28MPH or whatever your state law says is legal... But I do find myself thinking that if you actually want to pedal, meaning you want to ride a bicycle, anything over 350 watts with a throttle is making that bicycle into a motorbike... You will find yourself pedaling less and less but still thinking you are still getting as much exercise as before... Whenever I start to think that, I shut off the assist and ride my ride without using the assist and it straightens out my thinking real quick.
for exercise I can ride my fixie or MTB. I have spent the last 8 years leading a cycling club and trying to get PRs and KOMs. I have spent that time trying to keep my heart rate in zone 4 for up to two hours with 30 to 60 mile rides.

Any assistance is more assistance than i get now. How much assistance another person gets is still assistance. It, for me, at this stage is hard for me to judge how much exercise the E assist bikes are that I have tried when it comes to a 9 mile 3 or 4 percent climb into the trees. On my road bike I am soaked on those rides with a HR in the 160s. Same ride on a E assist and my HR is about 140 and I am as dry as when I hit the MUP heading for the beach.

I simply have no reference between 350 Watts and 750 Watts compared to the Watts my legs put out today. A boost of 350 Watts is like having a cat 3 racer pushing me up a hill. Lots of class 1 pedal assists seem to come with 350 to 500 on the sites I visit. 750 seems to be max for class 1.

I just cannot see the difference.
Old 08-09-18, 12:30 PM
350htrr

for exercise I can ride my fixie or MTB. I have spent the last 8 years leading a cycling club and trying to get PRs and KOMs. I have spent that time trying to keep my heart rate in zone 4 for up to two hours with 30 to 60 mile rides.

Any assistance is more assistance than i get now. How much assistance another person gets is still assistance. It, for me, at this stage is hard for me to judge how much exercise the E assist bikes are that I have tried when it comes to a 9 mile 3 or 4 percent climb into the trees. On my road bike I am soaked on those rides with a HR in the 160s. Same ride on a E assist and my HR is about 140 and I am as dry as when I hit the MUP heading for the beach.

I simply have no reference between 350 Watts and 750 Watts compared to the Watts my legs put out today. A boost of 350 Watts is like having a cat 3 racer pushing me up a hill. Lots of class 1 pedal assists seem to come with 350 to 500 on the sites I visit. 750 seems to be max for class 1.

I just cannot see the difference.
The difference is that a 350 watt would NOT climb a hill without you pedaling/putting in most of the effort on any hill greater than lets say 3%... Where as, a 750 watt would climb most hills without you putting in any effort to lets say7%+... Thus you are now assisting the 750 watt motor, not like with the 350 watt motor that is assisting you... JMO and I know sometimes I do see things differently than most.
Old 08-09-18, 01:46 PM
Mobile 155

The difference is that a 350 watt would NOT climb a hill without you pedaling/putting in most of the effort on any hill greater than lets say 3%... Where as, a 750 watt would climb most hills without you putting in any effort to lets say7%+... Thus you are now assisting the 750 watt motor, not like with the 350 watt motor that is assisting you... JMO and I know sometimes I do see things differently than most.

I can accept at least your opinion because you have a e-bike and I don't. Still the amount of assist being too much is somewhat subjective. Any assist is too much for a club racer. 200 watts with a one hour run time is mechanical doping to the pro riders and they are still putting out 300 to 400 watts on their own. I am getting to that stage where the legs just aren't what they used to be and the hills hurt a lot more than they used to. There used to be some thrill beating the 30 and 40 year olds up a 5500 foot climb now it takes and hour recovery time before I am ready to head for home. 350 watts sounds nice but it also seems like a compromise from what I would be allowed in a class 1 e-bike. I will not be surprised if sooner or later they let people ride 1000 watt bikes if they are governed to 26-28. So like getting a computer with as much memory as I can afford so I can keep it longer it "seems" reasonable to get as many watts as allowed so I won't outgrow the machine and I discover I need "more" assist on those days when I almost need an extra 350 watts just to get out and ride. Just how it looks to one from the outside of the e-bike world.
Old 08-09-18, 02:01 PM
350htrr

I can accept at least your opinion because you have a e-bike and I don't. Still the amount of assist being too much is somewhat subjective. Any assist is too much for a club racer. 200 watts with a one hour run time is mechanical doping to the pro riders and they are still putting out 300 to 400 watts on their own. I am getting to that stage where the legs just aren't what they used to be and the hills hurt a lot more than they used to. There used to be some thrill beating the 30 and 40 year olds up a 5500 foot climb now it takes and hour recovery time before I am ready to head for home. 350 watts sounds nice but it also seems like a compromise from what I would be allowed in a class 1 e-bike. I will not be surprised if sooner or later they let people ride 1000 watt bikes if they are governed to 26-28. So like getting a computer with as much memory as I can afford so I can keep it longer it "seems" reasonable to get as many watts as allowed so I won't outgrow the machine and I discover I need "more" assist on those days when I almost need an extra 350 watts just to get out and ride. Just how it looks to one from the outside of the e-bike world.
Yes, different people need different "assistance"... Some people ride fixies, some people ride 3 speeds, some ride 10 speeds, some ride 27 speeds and so on... Same with E-bikes, if you need/want 750 watts you should get it... Even a throttle, if you want/need...

EDIT; and the too much assistance part is pertaining to the LEGAL, definition of a bicycle bit of the LAW... IMO after 500 + watts and a throttle, you are NOT riding an assisted bicycle, you are riding an electric motorcycle... again, JMO

Last edited by 350htrr; 08-09-18 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-09-18, 03:49 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 89 Posts
I can pedal easily fully loaded around 10mph, but not very far (bad knees).
Your seat looks awfully low - surely your knees would be better off with with more leg extension?

Last edited by cooker; 08-09-18 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-09-18, 04:58 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
Your seat looks awfully low - surely your knees would be better off with with more leg extension?
Or with an inexpensive motorcycle to tour with the load you plan to take with you on two wheels with the medical problems that you have pointed out severely limit your ability to provide pedal power. You certainly would not have the range and charging limitations you will experience with your current setup. Probably would be cheaper too.
Old 08-09-18, 06:43 PM
350htrr

Or with an inexpensive motorcycle to tour with the load you plan to take with you on two wheels with the medical problems that you have pointed out severely limit your ability to provide pedal power. You certainly would not have the range and charging limitations you will experience with your current setup. Probably would be cheaper too.
Or.. "If he raised his seat" 1" he could pedal 50% more without as much pain, or... if he raised his seat 1 1/4" he could pedal 100% more and gain 100Miles per charge. We don't know... Many a times, I have seen people, riding their bicycles with their knees almost hitting their elbows... WTF is that person doing, is what I am thinking... How can you ride that bike for any distance and NOT have knee problems... The point is, we do not know the circumstance and we should not judge... Anyways, He,... IS happy, with only using an E-Bike, and thus is a success... In any way that you want to measure... Good for you, vja4Him…
Old 08-10-18, 12:49 AM
alextide

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congratulations on the 10 years without a bike milestone! There's a website (nothing to do with me), Mr Money Moustache which espouses a no car life as a way to save money and retire early. Your cash saving numbers sound impressive. That Yuba bike looks like a Harley Hog. Sorry to hear about the health problems, it is great to see you finding ways around it. Even if you did no pedalling, you'd still have a lighter carbon footprint and more fun in the open air than in a car.
Good luck.