Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Will this gearing be okay for road?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Will this gearing be okay for road?

Old 07-28-18, 07:49 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Should be fine, even with hills.
Old 07-28-18, 10:34 PM
bcpriess

Bikes: Masi Giramondo, Trek 830 monstercross build, Raleigh Gran Sport, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
You might want lower (sub 1:1) gearing for another reason. On bumpier gravel, you want to be able to spin faster uphill so you get more gyroscopic movement to keep better balance.
Old 07-29-18, 10:30 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by taz777
I managed to get one of these at around 50% discount:

Blue Competition Cycles-PROSECCO EX-GRAVEL

It was mentioned in a different thread in this section asking why it's not more popular. At that time I couldn't find a good price on it here in the UK. Then a few days ago I found the bike in a clearout sale.
I have the same bike, running 700x35 Clement Xplor USH. It's been a great bike for learning gravel!

I swapped out the cassette for an 11-32, which worked just fine despite the short cage RD. This has helped quite a bit with getting up our steep gravel climbs.
Old 07-30-18, 12:40 AM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
I have the same bike, running 700x35 Clement Xplor USH. It's been a great bike for learning gravel!

I swapped out the cassette for an 11-32, which worked just fine despite the short cage RD. This has helped quite a bit with getting up our steep gravel climbs.
That’s great to know! It’s been hard to get owners’ views on this bike as it’s quite rare and Google searches come up with very little info.

I should be getting the bike later this week as it’s in the retailer’s workshop being assembled and set up at the moment.

It would be good to exchange info and tips on this bike in due course.
Old 07-30-18, 10:49 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
That’s great to know! It’s been hard to get owners’ views on this bike as it’s quite rare and Google searches come up with very little info.

I should be getting the bike later this week as it’s in the retailer’s workshop being assembled and set up at the moment.

It would be good to exchange info and tips on this bike in due course.
I just realized that I was buzzed from gravel grinding yesterday and spoke too soon...I have a slightly older and lower-end version of the Prosecco, with all mechanical components.

It appears that the main difference in geometry is that they lowered the stack and seat tube height on yours. Still, you're right, there are not a lot of Blue bicycles around!
Old 07-30-18, 11:04 AM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
I just realized that I was buzzed from gravel grinding yesterday and spoke too soon...I have a slightly older and lower-end version of the Prosecco, with all mechanical components.

It appears that the main difference in geometry is that they lowered the stack and seat tube height on yours. Still, you're right, there are not a lot of Blue bicycles around!
No problem - you're still a Blue bike owner and more communicative than the company is!!!
Old 08-03-18, 11:58 AM
kokak
Just finidng my cadence

Bikes: Motobecane Ti Century Pro, Catrike 559

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm using 46/30 Chainrings with an 11-36 cassette and have been very happy with how it works on both my Uphill climbs and Downhill descents.
Old 08-04-18, 06:41 AM
JayNYC

Bikes: Fuji Jari 1.3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Gear ratios are basic math.
To put things into an easy formula…

How easily you’ll climb up a hill will be determined by:

# of teeth in smallest chainring / # of teeth in biggest cog

The smaller the number the steeper you can climb. You probably want that number to be no bigger than 1.06 (34/32). Given that you’re a big rider, ideally the number would be less than 0.

How fast fast you can go without spinning out will be determined by:

# of teeth in biggest chainring / # of teeth on smallest cog

The bigger the number the better. Most road bikes have numbers over 4 with 4.5 (50/11) being a typical max number.

The circumference of the wheel also plays a role. You can multiply the numbers above by the circumference of your tire and then compare those numbers if tire/wheel size is a variable for you.
Old 08-29-18, 08:23 AM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
I’m looking at a gravel bike with the following gearing:

Chainrings: 36/46T

Cassette: 11/28T

Not understanding a great deal about gearing at the moment, would the above be fine for road (tarmac) use in comparison with the gearing you would get on a dedicated road bike? Or would this be significantly slower?

I see that road bikes would typically have a larger chainring with 50T to 53T, but I’m wondering what real-world difference it would make compared to 46T for a very average leisure cyclist like me.
I just bought that same bike (The Ex, not Exg, same frame different components) with the same gearing. Thanks for posting all the pics and write up in your other post. It was a steal of a deal and your post helped convince me to buy it. This bike is setup more for touring than gravel (BB Drop is too big to call it a cyclocross bike) but can take wheels up to 38c.

For the low end in the downhills, you'll be fine in a 46x11 (4.18 ratio). My current road bikes highest gear is 12x50 (4.17 ratio). The difference in speed at 90rpm in those two gearings is pretty much the same. Unless you are trying to better your Strava sprint times it wont make much of a difference. I rarely drop to my 12 unless I am full out on a downhill. On the flats pushing 50x14 (3.57 ratio) at 25mph is about as much as I have and can maybe hold that for about 1.5 - 2 miles before I burn out. So you should be fine on the 46x11 on the low end.

On the high end - the gearing (36x28 or 1.29 ratio) is just enough to get an in-shape rider up a tough incline on a paved road. We have some tough little climbs around here (1.5 - 2 miles or so with 10-15% grades on parts of the climbs) and I can make it with my road bike in a 34x25 (1.36) albeit I am grinding at 60rpm up the tough parts of the climb and 75-85 rpm up the rest of the climb. I really need to get a 34x28 (1.21 ratio) setup for these climbs to keep me from grinding through the toughest parts. So on paved road, the 36x28 (1.29) would be just enough on the toughest climbs. On gravel road climbs you definitely need lower gears. A 36x32 might be better suited for gravel and even lower if you are going up back mountain trails with slight obstacles to traverse.

Going forward on this bike I will probably switch out to compact gears in front (50/34) with a 12-30 or 12-32 (if I can get away with the short cage derailleur) and use it for winter riding and exploring all the dirt and gravel roads I regularly ride past. It'll probably end up being my all around go-to long ride, exploring, gravel road beater bike. I'll keep a road specific bike for the Strava segments on the paved roads and maybe an off road specific bike in the future....

-Sean

PS - For reference, gear ratio is how many times your rear wheel turns per full revolution of the cranks. Bike Calc has an easy to use site for reference.