Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Emotional Attachment to our Cars

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Emotional Attachment to our Cars

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-18, 05:04 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
I have owned 20 cars/trucks, 3 motorbikes & 2 bicycles... and the scale of upkeep on my cars is/was out of this world more expensive than the two bicycles... Just saying

$14,000 over the last 20 years for the bicycles...
$480,000+ for the last 40 years for my vehicles...

I wonder how may extra Hrs I worked just for my vehicle's compared to if I only used bicycles & public transport…

EDIT; OK I can't help it, I figured it out... 30$/Hr, 2,000 Hrs a year = 8 years out of my last 40 years working life I spent working, just to have vehicles...………
and, yes I know my numbers are NOT close to most peoples numbers, BUT, everyone who own/driver a vehicle has a number like that even tho it's smaller, most people just ignore it and only focus on the good part of owning a vehicle... 15 minutes to drive to work not 1Hr to ride to work or 1/2Hr on public transportation, both mush less $$$ overall.
I did it on a fixed income, which really doesn't work in the end, and my father was a mechanic, my parents offered guidance for half of my seven or so cars and two were previously my mom's.
Old 08-26-18, 05:14 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
That figure includes fixed costs (depreciation, full coverage insurance, and financing) which does not provide "operating" (variable costs) per mile. That figure is calculated on the costs of trading in a relatively barely used car with only 75,000 miles on the odometer and buying a new car every 5 years, thus absorbing the high cost of depreciation. Anyone interested in saving money on car expenses could cut down both their fixed costs as well as the variable costs by buying and selling cars more economically than this scenario. They might even select an economy car, or even a low mileage used car and not trade it in every 5 years and take such a big hit on depreciation.

But why talk realistic dollars and cents calculations when there is an emotional attachment to inflating the expense of owning a car to serve an agenda?
But, but, that is probably, the average trade-in mileage for the country, and the average trade-in years...Thus those figures... Sure, one can save money & do "better", and many do, they buy, a new to them 2 year old used car every 10 years.,How are you going to "measure" that.? or like my son buys a used 20 year old car every 20 years... SO, It IS realistic for the average buyer... Seems not realistic for me, seems not realistic for my son, but guess what, for millions & millions, it is probably spot on.
Old 08-26-18, 05:44 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Originally Posted by Rollfast
I did it on a fixed income, which really doesn't work in the end, and my father was a mechanic, my parents offered guidance for half of my seven or so cars and two were previously my mom's.
I am not understanding what you mean by your statement...
Old 08-26-18, 08:03 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by Sir Lunch-a-lot
A lot of what is being thrown around here looks like conjecture and speculation rather than being solidly evidence based. While much of the conjecture "feels right" (and, in many cases, seems to me to be way off topic ), it may or may not have much basis in reality - though it would probably make for an illuminating study.
Reality dare not raise its "negative" head on this list when there is an emotional attachment to conjecture and speculation prompted by bouts of "critical thinking".
Old 08-26-18, 08:48 PM
Sir Lunch-a-lot

Bikes: Montague Folding/E-Bike, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reality dare not raise its "negative" head on this list when there is an emotional attachment to conjecture and speculation prompted by bouts of "critical thinking".
Aha! I see what you did there!
Old 08-26-18, 10:37 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I am not understanding what you mean by your statement...
cain't afford the dadburned thing and wish I could, eating is important
Old 08-27-18, 03:19 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
Depends on what your time is worth, right?
For an individual, it depends on where you live and work. However for society as a whole, cars are hugely more expensive because of the infrastructure they require.
Old 08-27-18, 03:20 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Majority of people who purchase cars, purchase them for practical reasons and not emotional reasons. That's the fact.
Then why do people buy sports cars, or SUVs they only drive on dry pavement or Cadillacs or Porsches?
Old 08-27-18, 03:28 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Good thought, but I can only find the option to delete it in "thread tools" (which, I would assume, is where it would be located).
I hope you don't delete it as people put a lot of thought into their posts and you would be destroying their efforts. You can probably ask the mods to close it but leave it in place. Or you could just walk away and let it run its course, but personally, I would find that hard, as also we get emotionally attached to our threads!
Old 08-27-18, 04:29 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by cooker
Then why do people buy sports cars, or SUVs they only drive on dry pavement or Cadillacs or Porsches?
Because some people like to enjoy themselves, and buy products they like that they feel may add to their enjoyment of life. YMMV.

Last edited by StanSeven; 08-27-18 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Removed potential inflammatory language
Old 08-27-18, 04:30 PM
Sir Lunch-a-lot

Bikes: Montague Folding/E-Bike, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I hope you don't delete it as people put a lot of thought into their posts and you would be destroying their efforts. You can probably ask the mods to close it but leave it in place. Or you could just walk away and let it run its course, but personally, I would find that hard, as also we get emotionally attached to our threads!
Oh, I fully agree and have no intention of deleting anything. And in retrospect and in light of some of the points made, I dont know that closing the thread is the right response either.
Old 08-27-18, 05:33 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
This misses the deeper emotional attachment people have to avoiding standing out by commuting car-free. Sadly, driving has become a social-cultural norm in many circles so people are attached to not being viewed as a 'norm-breaker,' 'extremist,' 'radical,' or whatever word is used around them for people who fail to conform to the automotive culture.

Sure, they will say it's just more practical to drive; but they will not admit it is a more practical life to just ride a bike and go around to less places. They WANT to do all sorts of impractical things because it makes them feel like they're getting more out of life. They don't realize how empty most forms of consumption actually are because they are 'living the dream,' in their collectively validated imaginations.
Old 08-27-18, 05:52 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Oh, I fully agree and have no intention of deleting anything. And in retrospect and in light of some of the points made, I dont know that closing the thread is the right response either.
This is the forum you can expect to receive a warning from a moderator if you take anything seriously enough to attempt to have an intelligent discussion concerning many of the sketchy motives underlying what goes on here... at least, that's been my experience.
Old 08-27-18, 06:18 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
Let’s watch inflammatory language please. Thanks

Stan
Old 08-27-18, 06:24 PM
350htrr

Because some people like to enjoy themselves, and buy products they like that they feel may add to their enjoyment of life. YMMV.
Exactly, enjoyment is right up there, but then there is pride of ownership, and then there is showing off, then there is also peer pressure, then practical reasons, and then there is….
Old 08-28-18, 11:05 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Because some people like to enjoy themselves, and buy products they like that they feel may add to their enjoyment of life.
Exactly - so you disagree with wolfchild that they're simply being practical.
Old 08-28-18, 11:10 AM
McBTC

Ever seen a Mecum auto auction on TV? You of course don't expect a 21-window VW bus going for >$100k to be used as a commuter car though.
Old 08-28-18, 11:18 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Ever seen a Mecum auto auction on TV?
It would be fun to drive around for a bit in a '68 GTO or Firebird or whatever, but definitely not practical, and probably I'd be bored within a week. Plus there's something kind of sad about an old guy in a vintage sports car.

Last edited by cooker; 08-28-18 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-28-18, 11:32 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Plus there's something kind of sad about an old guy in a vintage sports car.
Speak for yourself, I wouldn't mind driving around in one of these. Would make me quite happy.

Old 08-28-18, 11:36 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

If in your world enjoying themselves, and seeking to increase their enjoyment of life is not considered "practical".

I previously posted what attributes they are not displaying, but the mods didn't approve.
Old 08-28-18, 12:25 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Speak for yourself, I wouldn't mind driving around in one of these. Would make me quite happy.
I'll wave to you from one of these, but I'll be hiding my face to avoid looking silly.

Old 08-28-18, 12:28 PM
McBTC

How is having a little fun driving an old Triumph TR3 any different than spinning the wheels of a vintage road bike?
Old 08-28-18, 12:46 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

How is having a little fun driving an old Triumph TR3 any different than spinning the wheels of a vintage road bike?
The bike is a lot more reliable as a commuter.
Old 08-28-18, 02:50 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Exactly, enjoyment is right up there, but then there is pride of ownership, and then there is showing off, then there is also peer pressure, then practical reasons, and then there is….
All those things involve emotional attachment. If you can't enjoy life without a car, you are emotionally attached to having a car. It's that simple.
Old 08-28-18, 04:02 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Maybe because some of those vehicles are fun to drive, enjoyable and practical at the same time. It's really no different then somebody who has 10 different bicycles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.