Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

pebbles in brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-18, 09:13 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
pebbles in brakes

I went for a wet ride last night and of course it was a squealy affair with the disc brakes. It got me thinking.. how does a pebble stay in the brake that long?? It doesn't physically make sense to me. And then the more important question, how do you get them out of there?? I tried rinsing with water at the turn around and then with the hose when I got home, they're still in there..
Old 08-15-18, 11:24 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 116 Posts
I've never seen a pebble stuck in a disc caliper or rotor, on a bicycle.

Are you operating on the assumption that the squealing when braking in the wet is due to pebbles caught in the brake? That's how your post reads but that's not what is happening.
Old 08-15-18, 12:00 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
I've never seen a pebble stuck in a disc caliper or rotor, on a bicycle.

Are you operating on the assumption that the squealing when braking in the wet is due to pebbles caught in the brake? That's how your post reads but that's not what is happening.
Yeah, but it's not during braking, it's all the time until the "pebble" falls out.

So what's happening?
Old 08-15-18, 07:12 PM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Yeah, but it's not during braking, it's all the time until the "pebble" falls out.

So what's happening?
I don’t ride in the rain that often, but had a similar squeaky/scratchy sounding disc brake at a race this spring...started almost immediately and kept going the whole race and after. A day or two later when cleaning with the garden hose, whatever it was was flushed out.

I wonder if a small pebble got lodged into the caliper, between the edge of the pad and the caliper, or perhaps near the clip that tensions the pads. I’d try takeing out the pads and put them back in.
Old 08-15-18, 08:37 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by wheelsmcgee

I don’t ride in the rain that often, but had a similar squeaky/scratchy sounding disc brake at a race this spring...started almost immediately and kept going the whole race and after. A day or two later when cleaning with the garden hose, whatever it was was flushed out.

I wonder if a small pebble got lodged into the caliper, between the edge of the pad and the caliper, or perhaps near the clip that tensions the pads. I’d try takeing out the pads and put them back in.
Yeah, that sounds about right. I should just take the wheels off and inspect, but I'm too lazy right now.
Old 08-25-18, 10:32 AM
ctbiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A number of years ago my wife and I were on a tandem with a rear Phil Wood disc brake. We were on a gravel surface that must have kicked up some very small sand/pebbles. Some got into the wrong place and totally locked up the wheel at speed. I flushed them out (eventually) and threw the disc away. It must have happened to others too since the Phil discs were only available for a relatively short time.
Old 08-25-18, 11:32 AM
Facanh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've never seen pebbles in a caliper either.

In the wet your brakes squeal because of water. Yup, it's harder for water to get up there compared to rim brakes, but it's not impossible.

Did you take out the brake pads and actually see the pebbles?

When your bike is caked in mud dirt, sand, and maybe even very teeny tiny rocks can get caught between the rotor and pad, but then your brake pads turn into sandpaper.

Last edited by Facanh; 08-25-18 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-27-18, 04:01 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by Facanh
I've never seen pebbles in a caliper either.

In the wet your brakes squeal because of water. Yup, it's harder for water to get up there compared to rim brakes, but it's not impossible.

Did you take out the brake pads and actually see the pebbles?

When your bike is caked in mud dirt, sand, and maybe even very teeny tiny rocks can get caught between the rotor and pad, but then your brake pads turn into sandpaper.
Just so I'm super clear, the noise is NOT when braking. It's constant while riding until something flushes out whatever is wherever it is.