Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Brake Shifters on my Surly Disc Trucker?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Brake Shifters on my Surly Disc Trucker?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-18, 11:19 PM
megaclyde

Bikes: Kona Sutra, Surly Ogre, Kona Rove ST, Trek Stache 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
the links seeker and I put up were for the disc trucker, which shows the parts re 48 36 26 etc
I do see on the lht non disc page that it says a sora 50 39 30 , which is odd as it doesn't appear to be one in the photo, and as you say, would be an odd choice.

you best contact them directly after the holidays to clear it up

I know it was the disc trucker you posted. I was just trying to point out that there are inaccuracies on both pages which is why I don't trust the information. I really like Surly's products but their business model sucks. Because they make shops pay for all bikes up front NOBODY stocks them. You'd think they'd at least front dealers 1 or 2 units to have on their floors so that people can see the bike. Anyway, thank you Seeker for posting the contact info. I'll follow up with them and let everyone know what I find out.
Old 12-28-18, 08:19 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,551 Times in 7,330 Posts
Originally Posted by megaclyde
Because they make shops pay for all bikes up front NOBODY stocks them.
Uncorrect. I bought three LHT's from Trophy Bikes in Philadelphia. Two for myself (first one stolen) and one for the GF. All were purchased "off the floor." The GF's was the smallest size Surly makes. The shop usually has Cross Checks and Stragglers in stock.
Old 12-28-18, 08:35 AM
megaclyde

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Uncorrect. I bought three LHT's from Trophy Bikes in Philadelphia. Two for myself (first one stolen) and one for the GF. All were purchased "off the floor." The GF's was the smallest size Surly makes. The shop usually has Cross Checks and Stragglers in stock.
Sorry I made such a definitive statement. Clearly some shops stock the bikes, but it's ridiculously small. There are about 20 shops within 50 miles of my house that are surly dealers. One of them keeps bikes in stock. Unfortunately for me, that particular shop keeps odd hours. The two different times I've driven the hour to get there they were closed despite their posted business hours indicating they should be open. When I bought my Karate Monkey not one of the shops had one in stock, in any size, for me to see. But ...I still bought one... so maybe Surly is smarter than me and they know they'll sell bikes regardless.
Old 12-28-18, 09:58 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
here in Montreal, there are only two stores that have Surly bikes, sell them and have some on the floor, I guess its an agreement/contract thing, just as some stores only sell Specialized or whatever.
I imagine also, that to be realistic, Surly bikes are a small part of the market, touring/fatbikes/ etc, so it stands to reason that from a numbers point of view, it will be only a smaller number of stores that will have them.

one of the stores in Montreal has a long history of having more "adventurous" activity stuff (its not just a bike store, but an outdoor store, so nordic and backcountry skiing, camping, hiking, less mainstream biking-ie touring, adventure stuff now/

dont know the details of payments etc with a retailer re having bikes on the floor.
The larger of the two here in Montreal tends always to have a Troll, Ogre, LHT, maybe a Straggler, a fatbike on the floor, along with other brands like a Kona Sutra or a Marrakesh too.
Its actually a very unique store in this regard. Great selection of panniers, racks, frame bags etc also.
Old 12-28-18, 02:36 PM
megaclyde

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Confirmed with Surly today that the LHT does in fact come with a Sora road 50-39-30 crank on it. Getting back to the original question of this topic...sort of...that means that Sora STI shifters should work at least OK on a new LHT with the Sora front and Alivio RD.
Old 12-29-18, 10:34 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by dh024
Brifter is shorthand for integrated brake and shifter lever. I thought everyone understood what it meant??
Except that in the days before STI shifters, “brifters” was a term used to describe bar end shifters as opposed to downtube shifters.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-29-18, 11:00 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
It is crazy that we have to work so hard to find the gear combinations we want in a touring bike. I too was looking at building a drop bar road bike with brifters when I first started considering my build. Eventually I just gave up. It was a challenge to find a 10 speed triple flat bar set up that would work. I wanted a mountain triple crankset. They are still readily available. The challenge is to find a triple front derailleur with the right cage profile for a mountain crankset and a shifter for that derailleur. It is only going to get more difficult as time goes on to build a good quality triple (with MTB gearing) touring bike.
Sorry but I’m getting out my soap box. You have been warned.

I agree that it is difficult to find stock gearing that works for touring but we are a niche in a niche market. Bicycles are built for racing and the gearing and equipment reflects that reality. More people would ride bikes if “good” bikes were geared for tourists since newbies and less strong riders could ride more varied terrain more easily with a “tourist” gearing. Unfortunately, “tourist” type gearing and geometries are usually only available on heavier lower quality bikes. It takes a lot of money to build a 20 to 22 lb bike with really good tourist gears. I’ve done it on two bikes for my wife and both cost well over $2000 to do so.

The other part of the problem is that you are viewed as some kind of weakling if you have low gears. I don’t race nor am I 20 years old, so why do I need “macho” gears? On the other hand, I’ve had “weakling” gearing since my 20s and have been an avid cyclist for roughly 4 decades so far. More importantly, I’ve been a regular avid cyclist for 4 decades. I know of few people who are my age and have ridden as long. Lots of people pick up cycling after a long layoff but few of them have ridden continuously for that long. Could it be the gearing?

As for your front derailer problems, look into SRAM front derailers. They still make some 3x derailers. 3x10 front derailers will work with 3x9 shifters. As an added benefit, the SRAM front derailer is far superior to anything Shimano makes.

Frankly, SRAM’s whole drivetrain is better than Shimano’s. Not Gripshift but their paddle shifters and rear derailer as well as their front derailers are better than Shimano in my opinion. All of my flat bar bikes (mountain bikes) are SRAM equipped. If SRAM weren’t so stupid about their road stuff...no triples...I’d have it on my road bikes as well.

Finally, yes, it’s going to be more difficult going forward to find equipment for triples...until the market comes to it’s senses and decides that 1x was a huge mistake. That’s why I’m salting away all kinds of triple drivetrain components. I’ve got enough shifters, front and rear derailers and cranksets set aside to last me several decades.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 12-29-18 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-29-18, 02:06 PM
djb

as always, thanks senor cycco for a well thought out and expressed soap box schpeel to hopefully help educate and entertain.

I too, since my twenties, have happily used "weakling" gearing . I have a good friend who, bless her heart (and she really is a saint of a person) just cant or wont get it through her head about lower gearing. Ive tried over the years, despite her and her husbands refusal to change parts, to give presents of larger cassettes and or smaller granny gear rings and installed them myself, but the bottom line is that her knees are knackered from too low cadence and too high gearing over the decades.
I also have a very clear memory of doing a touring trip in the Pyrenees about 25 years ago, and meeting some roadies somewhere at a campground, who chortled (in French) at my "weakling" gearing--I've thought of that encounter everytime I hear some young, strong guy who works in a bike store give some poor sap the whole (to paraphrase it) "weakling gearing talk", of course exacerbated by the 2x and 1x thing over the last bunch of years.

and ps, if this is true of the non disc LHT using a 50/39/30, that is kinda goofy.
Old 12-30-18, 04:21 PM
megaclyde

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
and ps, if this is true of the non disc LHT using a 50/39/30, that is kinda goofy.
As per the customer service guy I spoke to oat QBP that is correct. Sora triple up front and a 12-36 cassette in the rear.
Old 12-30-18, 05:03 PM
djb

i thought the ten speed 48/36/26 deore crankset was still being made, trekking crankset in europe etc, so I'm surprised. The only reason I could see the change would be non availability of that, or the other brand one, but I guess lets see if this turns out to be true.
Old 12-30-18, 07:16 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
May @ worst, have to buy chainrings in your chosen size in the bolt circle your cranks use.... 50, 39, 30 cranks were available, at a good price ,

in a Large quantity , ... from the manufacturer of the crank sets....

a Business choice , for building up a thousand + bikes.. for the world market..
Old 12-30-18, 07:26 PM
megaclyde

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
May @ worst, have to buy chainrings in your chosen size in the bolt circle your cranks use.... 50, 39, 30 cranks were available, at a good price ,

in a Large quantity , ... from the manufacturer of the crank sets....

a Business choice , for building up a thousand + bikes.. for the world market..
If the research I've done is correct 30 is the smallest chainring you can run on that crankset. I hope someone chimes in and tells me I'm wrog because that's what's on my wife's Marin 4 Corners and she'd like a smaller granny gear when it's time for new rings.
Old 12-31-18, 12:59 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by linus
FYI, Brifter is not a thing. Try STI Lever or just road shifter levers.
Sure it is. Its a thing if enough people consider it to be a thing, and its very clear a lot of people consider 'brifter' to be a legitimate description for STI/Ergo/DoubleTap.
While I dont like using 'brifter', its an all encompassing term that can apply to each brand's version of the same thing(shifting from the brake levers.

Its a portmanteau- a blend of words to create a new word. Definitely is a thing.

Labradoodle, roackabilly, Muppet, popsicle, and brifter. All are quite legitimate portmanteaus.

edited to add- darn BF didnt load all the pages, i didnt realize i was responding to something from a month+ prior that had already been addressed. Looks like I piled on, but its still quite legitimate.
Old 12-31-18, 01:12 PM
djb

Originally Posted by megaclyde
If the research I've done is correct 30 is the smallest chainring you can run on that crankset. I hope someone chimes in and tells me I'm wrog because that's what's on my wife's Marin 4 Corners and she'd like a smaller granny gear when it's time for new rings.
when tiagra went to 10 speed a bunch of years ago, they changed the bolt pattern of the tiagra triple , the 50/39/30, so that unfortunately one could not easily put a smaller granny gear on it, 30 is the smallest-which was a drag because I know of at least one "touring bike" that was sold with it at the time.
But I dont know if its the same with the sora triple. (in fact, I havent kept up, but perhaps the tiagra triple doesnt exist anymore and the sora replaced it, using the same "new and improved" limiting bcd)
The easiest thing for you to do is to find out the exact bcd of both of them and then you'll know for sure.

I always forget the bcd's of my varying bikes, and Im too lazy to go down and check, but you can always look up how to measure bcd depending on the bolt pattern and do the measuring on your wifes bike to have an accurate answer.