Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Mid-Drive Electric Bike (E-Bike) For Touring?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Mid-Drive Electric Bike (E-Bike) For Touring?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-18, 05:17 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Not going to debate semantics with you.
That is literally all there is to debate on this topic.

Mostof my touring tends to be off road. Getting away from it all, for me does not include a motorized vehicle. If I wanted a motor, I would buy a touring motorcycle. Yes I get they are different. But it's more of a principle thing here for some. YRMV.
Cool, glad you found something you like. Know what isn't cool? Telling others they're not touring because their idea of a bike tour is nothing like yours.

I personally find "off road" and "getting away from it all" to have no bearing on whether something is bike touring. Not that its likely to happen, but if I never setup a tent on another bike tour, it wouldn't bother me. I can have as much, if not far more, fun cycling from hostel to hostel through Europe, never being more than a mile or two from a charge.
Old 10-30-18, 07:34 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob_E
I don't have an e-bike, but I do have a dream of building an electric, Big Fat Dummy, so I can carry the dogs around town, travel the greenways during our few days of snow, and way overpack for some local overnight camping trips. The set-up I most envy and would want to emulate is @Robert C (https://www.bikeforums.net/members/robert-c-67840.html), who has solar panels that keep his bike charged enough that he seems to easily get a whole day's riding out of it. It's the perpetual motion e-bike. No outlets needed.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. It worked well and it is true, Kansas to Utah without any need to plug in. The performer trike I used had problems. If I were to do the same again I think I would use a KMX for the chassis. Starting with square frame members would make the whole build easier.

Obviously, I was pedaling the whole way. There was one long grade in Colorado that I had to stop a few times and wait for a charge to build up before continuing on. Also, as a teacher heading to my summer holiday, had a lot of non-touring stuff with me. Next time I will send all that stuff ahead and not try to carry it all.

It was a great experience. I am not sure when I will have time to do it again, but I am sure that at some point I will.
Old 10-30-18, 08:08 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Hasn't anybody here punched in "E-Bike touring" and seen what comes up on the internet, as far as "touring", yes "E-Bike touring," is" considered touring, around the word... ??? N. AMERICA IS NOT the be all of the definition of what bicycle touring is about...
Old 10-31-18, 08:11 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
That is literally all there is to debate on this topic.

Cool, glad you found something you like. Know what isn't cool? Telling others they're not touring because their idea of a bike tour is nothing like yours.

I personally find "off road" and "getting away from it all" to have no bearing on whether something is bike touring. Not that its likely to happen, but if I never setup a tent on another bike tour, it wouldn't bother me. I can have as much, if not far more, fun cycling from hostel to hostel through Europe, never being more than a mile or two from a charge.
If that's how you tour, awesome. One less car clogging up the road with rubber neckers. I did not say it wasn't touring, all I said was that bikes don't have motors. E bikes are something different. And in a different category. Lots of ways to get around. One of my tours included a train, ferry , a row boat and a hitch in the back of a pickup truck ( don't ask) . Carry on.
Old 11-01-18, 06:43 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
If that's how you tour, awesome. One less car clogging up the road with rubber neckers. I did not say it wasn't touring, all I said was that bikes don't have motors. E bikes are something different. And in a different category. Lots of ways to get around. One of my tours included a train, ferry , a row boat and a hitch in the back of a pickup truck ( don't ask) . Carry on.
Well, technically it depends on jurisdiction whether or not bicycles have motors. EU has very clearly defined that bicycles possessing a maximum of 250watt motor possible of giving pedaling aid up to 25kph is still considered a bicycle. So when you tour with such a bike in any EU-country you are in fact bicycle touring in every possible way and definition. And I'd go as far as to say that the law carries a lot more weight than any opinions.

If we are to however limit discussion and gatekeep with arbitrary definitions, the tour you describe in the quoted post is in fact not bicycle touring. It is traveling via motor vehicles where you just happened to have your bike with you. Not very bicycle tourey honestly.
Old 11-01-18, 07:50 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

The EU is not the USA. I call them multi modal transport, but whatev. Cheers.
Old 11-05-18, 06:02 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Yep. As long as you keep yer motorized-cycle on the roads you're ok by the law, but stay off bike paths, forest trails, and other bikeways.

Last edited by BigAura; 11-05-18 at 06:09 PM.
Old 11-05-18, 11:23 PM
AlanK

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
Yep. As long as you keep yer motorized-cycle on the roads you're ok by the law, but stay off bike paths, forest trails, and other bikeways.
But crank-drive bikes are not inherently self-powered because they can be peddled without the assist, which for practical purposes makes them just a somewhat heavier, slower conventional bike. This seems to really muddy the waters. On casual glance many crank-drive bikes aren't easily distinguished from conventional bikes.

To me it all boils down to the rider's behavior: If a rider is on a pathway where excessive speed is exceedingly dangerous to themselves and other riders that's one thing, but if they're just using the motor on a steep incline while riding safely, I don't understand the problem.
Old 11-06-18, 08:02 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Keep in mind that notice specifically applies to national forests. They have no jurisdiction over "bike paths, forest trails, and other bikeways" that are outside of the national forest system. In my state, e-bikes are specifically listed as not fitting the definition of a motor vehicle, and are therefor permitted on any path or trail managed by the city, county, or state unless explicitly forbidden.
Old 11-06-18, 08:29 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by Rob_E
Keep in mind that notice specifically applies to national forests.
Not to mention wheeled vehicles of any sort, motorized or not, are prohibited from large swaths of national forest lands.
Old 11-06-18, 09:02 PM
BigAura

Originally Posted by jefnvk
Not to mention wheeled vehicles of any sort, motorized or not, are prohibited from large swaths of national forest lands.
Yep! Human-power-access-only is the the right way to preserve our national forest assets. As a backpacker too, I don't want bicycle & horses in many of the more fragile areas. BUT by far the most horrific assaults on natural lands has occurred at the hands of motorized vehicles and devices.
Old 11-06-18, 10:21 PM
BigAura

Originally Posted by AlanK
But crank-drive bikes are not inherently self-powered because they can be peddled without the assist, which for practical purposes makes them just a somewhat heavier, slower conventional bike. This seems to really muddy the waters. On casual glance many crank-drive bikes aren't easily distinguished from conventional bikes.

To me it all boils down to the rider's behavior: If a rider is on a pathway where excessive speed is exceedingly dangerous to themselves and other riders that's one thing, but if they're just using the motor on a steep incline while riding safely, I don't understand the problem.
Having a motor connected to the drive system is motorized! This simple logic may elude some, but obviously the Forest Service understands this.

Old 11-07-18, 11:34 AM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by BigAura
Having a motor connected to the drive system is motorized! This simple logic may elude some, but obviously the Forest Service understands this.
And as has been debated ad nauseam here, "motor vehicle" generally has a specific legal definition which varies by jurisdiction. It is not the simple logic of "presence of motor = motor vehicle" you wish to portray. For example, NHTSA specifically excludes what the CPSC defines as "low speed electric bicycles" from the definition of "motor vehicle": https://www.nhtsa.gov/interpretations/08-002289as. Michigan law specifically exempts "electric bicycles" from the definition of "motor vehicles": Michigan Legislature - Section 257.33. In your forest service example, it is indeed a motor vehicle. Legal definitions matter far more than a plain text reading.
Old 11-07-18, 01:00 PM
BobG

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 82 Posts
That's a Park Service sign in Big Aura's photo above, not a Forest Service sign. I'm guessing the C&O canal? If so, Big Aura is correct, ebikes are indeed "motor vehicles" prohibited on the towpath. But the prohibition is worded as this...

"Bicycle electric assist features cannot be used while on the towpath; they are defined by the National Park Service as motor vehicles and therefore are not allowed on trails"

https://www.nps.gov/choh/planyourvis...gandbiking.htm

Thus, as AlanK has stated, if one is not using the electric assist features it is no longer a motor vehicle and would be allowed on the towpath. It just a bike with some heavy, unused mechanical stuff on board. Even with a disabled leg I would not need any assist on the towpath.

The Park Service definition of "motor vehicle" does conflict with the Michigan and NHTSA definitions in Jef's links above.

Last edited by BobG; 11-07-18 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-08-18, 11:25 AM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
This 30 mph contraption is a bike, right? must be, electric and got pedals and therefore can go anywhere like the brochure says, the bike lanes and trails. onxy website shows kids zipping around. They do have their feet on the pedals, thank goodness, might even use the pedals. Perhaps the 2019 version will upgrade the motor for 35 mph, oh boy! Don't even need a license, of course not, it's just a bike.

Old 11-08-18, 03:22 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by IPassGas
This 30 mph contraption is a bike, right? must be, electric and got pedals and therefore can go anywhere like the brochure says, the bike lanes and trails. onxy website shows kids zipping around. They do have their feet on the pedals, thank goodness, might even use the pedals. Perhaps the 2019 version will upgrade the motor for 35 mph, oh boy! Don't even need a license, of course not, it's just a bike.
Nice try, but I think nearly everyone here who doesn't have a hatred of ebikes has thrown the caveat down that acceptance is limited to pedal assist that cuts out somewhere around 20mph, ie class 1

Plus, I don't see a way to attach racks or bags, so not really touring related anyhow.

Last edited by jefnvk; 11-08-18 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-08-18, 07:15 PM
Leebo

Originally Posted by BobG
That's a Park Service sign in Big Aura's photo above, not a Forest Service sign. I'm guessing the C&O canal? If so, Big Aura is correct, ebikes are indeed "motor vehicles" prohibited on the towpath. But the prohibition is worded as this...

"Bicycle electric assist features cannot be used while on the towpath; they are defined by the National Park Service as motor vehicles and therefore are not allowed on trails"

https://www.nps.gov/choh/planyourvis...gandbiking.htm

Thus, as AlanK has stated, if one is not using the electric assist features it is no longer a motor vehicle and would be allowed on the towpath. It just a bike with some heavy, unused mechanical stuff on board. Even with a disabled leg I would not need any assist on the towpath.

The Park Service definition of "motor vehicle" does conflict with the Michigan and NHTSA definitions in Jef's links above.
Whether or not the motor is on? Hogwash. Good luck fighting that in court. The point is that state federal and local rules vary widely in the US. MA state parks for the most part is a no go, yes and no on some bike paths, depending on jurisdiction.

Last edited by Leebo; 11-09-18 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-08-18, 11:44 PM
chrisx

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
all trails in Baja are open to bikes, and ebikes.
Old 11-09-18, 07:50 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
I am not hating on E-Bikes. I just want that to be clear.

I have done long bike tours on pedal bikes (up to 7 months on the road self contained), and on full fledged motorcycles from 450cc to 900cc. Both means of transportation are AWESOME in their own way! But completely different.

I guess my question would be, why not a REAL motorcycle? An E-bike tour just seems like a combination of cycling and hitch-hiking with a lot of potential for getting stranded. On the other hand, if you get the E-bike thing figured out, good on ya. Sounds like more fun than staying home. Until you have to fix a flat. You ever change an inner tube on a E-bike. If not, do that, then check back with us.

Cheers.
Old 11-10-18, 04:19 AM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
If you tour on an E-bike, you're E-bike touring, if you're touring on a bicycle (bike, cycle) you're bicycle touring. If you tour on an E-bike but tell people you tour on a bicycle you're being misleading either intentionally or unintentionally.
Old 11-10-18, 06:52 AM
BobG

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Sounds like more fun than staying home. Until you have to fix a flat. You ever change an inner tube on a E-bike.
Not really a problem. Most ebikes now are mid drives (motor connected to crankset) so the wheels are not even involved. My hub drive is lacking a quick release so I carry a 15 mm spanner with my repair kit. The motor cords unplug with no fuss. I pop the battery off to lighten the bike and lift the frame up with the rather heavy wheel on the ground. Front wheel comes off like any other bike. This photo-op took me 5 minutes to remove and replace wheels...

Unlike a motorcycle it is real exercise at a slow pace without gasoline. Like having the wind at your back. My hub motor is totally silent, not even a buzz. Potential for getting stranded? Yes, range anxiety is a reality. No way I'm going to find a campground with electricity every 50 miles or so.

@Leebo, I made my last trip four years ago on a conventional acoustic bike. It was a road trip from NH to VA that was completed on a short section of the C&O canal, a convenient route into DC. Thus my comments above concerning their policy on motor off should I do a future e-version of the trip. I've emailed them requesting a clarification of their policy and would abide with their rules on any tours. The language at their website is vague ("Bicycle electric assist features cannot be used...") ? (should read "electric bicycle cannot be used" if that's what they mean)

@Caretaker, Aside from a limited range it's really not that much different. Yes, you can go faster when needed but you don't have to. I tend to ride more because I have more fun, live at the top of a 2 mile hill and use the bike more for errands leaving the truck at home. I've been bike touring probably as long as anybody on this forum so I'm well versed to compare the two styles. Was touring the C&O out to a hostel at Seneca MD as a high school kid in 1966 on my Schwinn Varsity.

A paraplegic would love to walk without an electric wheelchair. I would do anything to get rid of my motor and cycle unassisted but I can't due to a recent permanent disability. Consider yourselves blessed if you are still healthy enough to ride acoustically.

Last edited by BobG; 11-10-18 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-10-18, 07:40 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Fair enough! Thanks. Hope it works out for you.
Old 11-10-18, 07:54 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1669 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Originally Posted by AlanK
But crank-drive bikes are not inherently self-powered because they can be peddled without the assist, which for practical purposes makes them just a somewhat heavier, slower conventional bike.
Like mopeds!
Old 11-10-18, 08:01 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1669 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Thus, as AlanK has stated, if one is not using the electric assist features it is no longer a motor vehicle and would be allowed on the towpath.
I've read on some of the e-bike retailers' web pages suggestions to sham pedal ('clown pedal') class 2 e-bikes in the presence of LEOs.
Old 11-10-18, 06:14 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
a conventional acoustic bike. ...ride acoustically.
Is this a term that ebike people use?

Also, Wow. I now have an electric guitar pedal ad at the bottom of this thread. I don’t play guitar, so I assume it’s just picking up on the fact that I just used the words acoustic and acoustically? Crazy internets marketing...

Last edited by 3speed; 11-10-18 at 06:17 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.