Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

I'm Thankful Today Because ...

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-14, 07:47 PM
El Cid

Bikes: Surly Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
On American Thanksgiving Day ... what are you thankful for?
Black Friday.
Old 12-01-14, 10:26 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by El Cid
Black Friday.
A lot of my friends and co-workers enjoyed Black Friday. Personally, I was thankful that I didn't need to go within five miles of a big box store or mall on Friday.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-02-14, 04:01 AM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm thankful that holiday marketing does not confuse me into squandering my money on material goods of limited value to me or my loved ones and that I can continue to enjoy the company of friends and family and take rewarding personal adventures.
Old 12-02-14, 07:39 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Just yesterday I posted to the Touring Forum (in reply to a post by Rowan) why I don’t have the inclination / opportunity to cycle tour anymore, yet I think my reasons are suitable for this thread, “I’m Thankful Today Because…”:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
… But now I am (happily) pinned down in a relatively stable, not “meaningless and pointless” home life where I enjoy the relative permanence of family, friends, and meaningful work. I now enjoy those “wasteful and excessive” amenities.

Nonetheless I’m forever thankful for that opportunity to have for two months lived that small and simple, yet exciting world living on the bicycle.

…The cross country tour was not just an “interlude,” but a life-changing transformation, moving to a new city and new career. Things have worked out extremely well, too good to give up for another extended tour, no matter how “restorative,” if you will…

I am entirely satisfied though that I do live in a fine cycling Metropolis with the opportunity to cycle commute year round and road cycle as the circumstances permit. However…
PS: I just noticed that the first part of my quote above was written in reply to the writer of the post immediately preceding mine on this thread, Walter S.

Originally Posted by Walter S
Last year when I returned from my tour I was struck by how meaningless and pointless home life is. I walked around my place and found it all to be so wasteful and excessive. The house, the yard, a whole room full of implements for making food (called a "kitchen").

I loved my small and simple world living on the bicycle. Carrying everything I need with me on the road. Having a house seemed so excessive and self-justifying. For example, who needs a lawn mower and implements for pruning unless you have a yard? Who needs a vacume cleaner without carpet? I missed my life on the road, where all of the fixtures of life that I acquire, maintain, and keep up with, are a small set of purpose-felt items related to food, shelter, and travel and entirely adequate to keep me satisfied and gratified in my daily adventure .

Well said, Walter S. But now I am (happily) pinned down…
Hi, Walter.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-02-14 at 10:06 AM. Reason: added PS
Old 12-02-14, 06:32 PM
MikeRides

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I'm thankful for being in the best shape I've ever been in, almost all thanks to cycling.
Old 10-10-15, 07:39 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving!

-- we've been having some lovely weather lately
-- we've been able to get out cycling every weekend for a little while now
-- daylight hours are longer
-- we've been able to walk to the beach a few evenings recently ... in the light!
-- and I've had the time to do things like walk to the beach again
-- and that we live so close to the beach ... even when we can be at the beach, we can often hear the soothing sounds of the waves
-- I'm in better shape this year than I was last year ... my speed on the bicycle has increased and my hill climbing ability has improved (slightly)
-- I'm getting that dust mite situation I mentioned last year under control
-- Very soon, I am going to have time again to organise our office and do a big clothing sort (so many of my clothes don't fit me anymore)
Old 10-10-15, 07:49 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Thankful because:
- We've had a mild Fall...
- ...but we are also just getting into some great foliage colors
- My living situation, while far from ideal, is interesting and immensely satisfying.
- Seasonal PT job shift, from bike shop work, to farm work in the slaughter and meat room.
- Sober 5+ months, praise Jah.
- Just made choc chip cookies.
- My cabin in the woods is coming along and I've been sleeping out in it since May.
- I have all I need and even some wants are covered.
- Meeting a guy I know only on BF for the first time IRL tomorrow for donuts.
- On balance, life is good.
Old 10-10-15, 08:18 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 89 Posts
I'll be thankful if I make it to the restaurant tomorrow. House is being reno'd so we're taking it outside, but I've been experiencing back and hip pain for 4 days. probably triggered by flying and hauling luggage earlier this week, and today it was annoyingly bothersome all afternoon and I found it quite painful to go up and down stairs. I'm fine sitting, standing or lying, but not so good walking. Yesterday, after my trip, I did a full day's work, which now seems like maybe not the best idea!
Old 10-11-15, 12:43 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I'm thankful that I'm still alive to see another zombie thread on LCF. Don't we usually run this one around Thanksgiving time?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 10-11-15, 01:19 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Roody
Don't we usually run this one around Thanksgiving time?
It is Thanksgiving ... on Monday.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 10-11-15, 07:33 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 89 Posts
It is Thanksgiving ... on Monday.

Happy Thanksgiving!
In Australia too? Can't be - it's spring.
Old 10-11-15, 07:37 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by cooker
In Australia too? Can't be - it's spring.
No ... we don't have Thanksgiving at all in Australia.

But I'm still Canadian. My family and friends in Canada are celebrating it.
Old 10-11-15, 11:14 AM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Clothes dryers are a rare occurrence in Australia ... most people hang dry their clothes. We don't have one, and sometimes I miss it, but we've got 3 large drying racks now + the drying line attached to the outside of the house ... so that should take care of things.
I love hanging up clothes to dry and it makes me so thankful for the sunny, dry days when I do laundry. When I wash dusty things, I try to shake out as much of the dust as possible before putting them in to wash. I'm not sure if this reduces the number of mites that survive the wash but I figure it can't hurt.

On American Thanksgiving Day ... what are you thankful for?
Hunger Games Mockingjay part II on November 20th! I ignored these movies until recently, when I started reading the books because my son has been reading them. They are really interesting to read. I love that they have a Thanksgiving-related theme with the Cornucopia as the locus of the most intense fighting over supplies and the national anthem has the lyrics, "the horn of plenty overflows." https://youtu.be/zvvfHmeKOJc
I don't pay much attention to popular media these days besides the news, but I think I'll make an exception for the Hunger Games this Thanksgiving.

Originally Posted by Walter S
For thanksgiving, last year I was most thankful for the Big Bang. This year I'm picking super novae (life needs heavy elements).
That's a neat idea, but I've been thinking that maybe more radioactive enrichment is going on in the core than we think. There's a lot of heat and pressure down there and free protons could become ionized and bond together with heavier elements in the presence of neutrinos.

Originally Posted by Ekdog
I'm as thankful as hell that I'm in a situation where I can live car-free.

Car-free at last! Car-free at last! Thank God almighty, I am car-free at last!
Amen to that. I must confess, though, that I've been using car sharing lately but I don't really feel like I was ever truly car free anyway because I can't get family members to move closer so I end up relying on them to drive to visit anyway. My hope is that bus lines in my area will continue to improve and maybe car-sharing will grow as a support for more people to go car free (or at least free of owning a car and driving as their primary means of transportation).

Last edited by CbadRider; 10-12-15 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Removed comment targeting another forum member
Old 10-11-15, 06:20 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

No ... we don't have Thanksgiving at all in Australia.

But I'm still Canadian. My family and friends in Canada are celebrating it.
And on this day of Thanksgiving ...

I am thankful for my family.

My parent just celebrated their 50th anniversary, and thankfully we were able to go to Canada shortly before the official celebration to have an unofficial celebration with them, and many other family members.

I appreciate my parents for so many things, but somewhat more applicable to this sub-forum ... my parents walk and cycle, and therefore I have been doing car-free trips pretty much from the time I was born. In addition, they have supported my cycling endeavours ... my father even got into Randonneuring a number of years ago!

My grandmother just celebrated her 94th birthday, and she has always been an inspiration to me. She and my grandfather were great walkers ... walked everywhere. And, although she is slowing down a bit, she still walks to run her errands whenever possible. I hope to have her energy level when I'm 94!
Old 10-11-15, 07:27 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I'm thankful that my father is about to make it to his 90th birthday. I'm thankful that I'm still in good enough condition to commute to work by bicycle, and in good enough shape to do some pretty physical work.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 10-11-15, 07:30 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Artkansas
I'm thankful that my father is about to make it to his 90th birthday. I'm thankful that I'm still in good enough condition to commute to work by bicycle, and in good enough shape to do some pretty physical work.
Old 10-12-15, 05:21 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Thanksgiving in Canada

Monday is Canadian Thanksgiving -- here are 7 things you need to know | Business Insider

Thanksgiving Day in Canada
Old 10-12-15, 11:54 AM
Bluish Green
Bicycle Commuter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's been 3 years now since I gave my car away to charity and committed to full-time bicycle commuting (my wife has a car, so we are car-light). My weight, blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood sugar are all steady and normal (60 lb weight loss maintained). It's been a great, positive change to my life. I'm thankful it's still going well! I don't frequent the Forum as much as I used to, but it's good to check in and see so many familiar names and friends, too.
Old 12-23-15, 11:45 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

... we're having a hot Christmas!!

Summer is actually here for a day or so.

And ... Rowan has both Christmas Day and Boxing Day off.
Old 11-23-16, 07:32 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

If I am not mistaken, American Thanksgiving is coming soon. Are you thankful for anything this year?
Old 11-23-16, 07:40 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
If I am not mistaken, American Thanksgiving is coming soon. Are you thankful for anything this year?
Tomorrow aka Thursday 24 Nov 2016

Reckon I am thankful that me and my family made it through another year more or less intact.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 11-23-16, 07:50 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Well, being Canadian I already celebrated Thanksgiving, but really I've got more to be thankful for than I could possibly list.

I'll list one thing that is particularly meaningful for me: I'm thankful that both my parents are alive, and I'm taking my Mom and Dad out for his birthday lunch tomorrow (November 25th). He turns 90, my Mom is 92. Both doing well, are mentally sharp and still enjoying life!
Old 11-23-16, 10:54 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

-- we've been having some lovely weather lately
-- we've been able to get out cycling every weekend for a little while now
-- we've been able to walk to the beach a few evenings recently ... in the light!
-- and that we live so close to the beach ... even when we can be at the beach, we can often hear the soothing sounds of the waves
-- I'm in better shape this year than I was last year ... my speed on the bicycle has increased and my hill climbing ability has improved (slightly)
-- I'm getting that dust mite situation I mentioned last year under control
-- Very soon, I am going to have time again to organise our office and do a big clothing sort (so many of my clothes don't fit me anymore)
It was interesting reading last year's collection.

Still thankful for ...

Also thankful for ...

-- an improved bus schedule which gives me more flexibility
-- working at a place which encourages health and fitness ... and further education
-- improved fitness which has allowed me to cycle a lot more this year than I have in the past few years, including completing long distance events and a mountain climb I had never imagined I would be able to complete
-- completing two more courses and thus graduating with my Graduate Certificate
-- becoming an Australian citizen
-- technology which allows me to keep in touch with my family
Old 11-24-16, 01:47 AM
Lucillle
Lucille

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 35 Posts
I'm thankful for my wonderful sons and beautiful grand baby
For being healthy enough that despite aging, I can find great pleasure in bicycling
And for my little house and garden
Old 11-24-16, 01:55 AM
American Euchre

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've done the "black friday" thing for several years now.

Question:

1. how many chinese tv's do you need?

2. do you really need to be trampled to get that last copy of "the martian" which will be on sale on amazon 2 months later for $0.99 used like new a month from now?

TV's last a long time and the martian was a great movie, but I don't feel the need to watch it more than once.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.