Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Back From The Dead!

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Back From The Dead!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-17, 06:44 PM
WannaGetGood
B*ck From Th* D**d

Bikes: 2015 Kona Process 153

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Back From The Dead!

It has been a long time since I have posted anything on here. I tried last year but I couldn't seem to get into my email connected to my account on here! I moved since the last time I posted on here, to a much more flat are of Canada. I currently live in Edmonton AB, moved here from Vernon BC, and before that Abbotsford BC. Bikes have changed so much in the 5 years that I had to take away from biking due to finances. Is anyone still around from years back that I may remember? If anyone likes, add me on pinkbike at Abbykid.

When I have a moment, Ill post a picture of the new ride I have. I bought a 2015 Kona Process 153 last year. This year I added some custom wheels. Spank Oozy's 345 with Hope Pro 4's.
Old 08-20-17, 06:19 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Glad you are back, and post up w/a photo of the new bike.

I had a several year slowdown during which I wasn't able to spend much, and I'm still on a couple of 26ers and a 29er. I just last week managed to upgrade my 26er (A Dexter) to thru-axles. So I'm way behind the technology curve.
Old 08-20-17, 02:44 PM
WannaGetGood
B*ck From Th* D**d

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I attached some photos of the new ride and the new wheels I put on. I also uploaded a couple of photos of my girlfriend's 2014 Knolly Chilkotin.

For my Kona, I am thinking about upgrading my bottom bracket and crank set. I hit some decent size jumps on it and I don't think they are going to last a lot longer. Most liklely next season they will be swapped out. What would you upgrade to? I also want to go with a single ring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20170820_143141.jpg (97.6 KB, 88 views)
20170818_140558.jpg (99.8 KB, 88 views)
20170820_143330.jpg (98.3 KB, 90 views)
20170820_143339.jpg (98.8 KB, 89 views)
Old 08-20-17, 08:18 PM
JonathanGennick 

Love what your girlfriend has going on with the pedals and grips. It's a good look. I like a splash of color on a bike like that.

Not sure what to suggest on crankset upgrade. I always seem to end up with Shimano due to cost. Some of the newer 1x stuff gets pricey too. A friend and I looked at 1x11 for a recent upgrade of his bike. He kept his cranks, but bought an oval ring, a 10-speed cassette, and a derailleur and shifter to match, and converted from 2x9 to 1x10, and I think all that for less than a decent 11-speed cassette. I might be misremembering, but the 11-speed costs were crazy high for sure.
Old 08-20-17, 09:32 PM
WannaGetGood
B*ck From Th* D**d

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Ya eventually the drive train is going to have to be swapped out. I am not super happy with my X9 right now, so maybe like your friend did, I might just wait and do it all at the same time.
Old 08-21-17, 05:43 AM
JonathanGennick 

Jenson has the Shimano Zee crankset for $98:

Shimano M640 Zee 68/73mm Crankset W/36T > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA

Some Sram and Race Face options in the same neighborhood.
Old 08-22-17, 04:46 PM
WannaGetGood
B*ck From Th* D**d

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
That might not be a bad option. I am going to look around for a bit and see what I can find out there.

In the mean time, here is a short video of some riding. https://www.pinkbike.com/video/477036/
Old 08-23-17, 06:39 AM
JonathanGennick 

Originally Posted by WannaGetGood
In the mean time, here is a short video of some riding. https://www.pinkbike.com/video/477036/
Fun video! I'm not so good at jumping. I'd probably have to follow your dog's line around that one jump

Sometimes I can manage an easy jump in isolation, but jumping is not my strong suite.

Nice trail, btw. Looks good.
Old 08-23-17, 03:27 PM
WannaGetGood
B*ck From Th* D**d

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
Fun video! I'm not so good at jumping. I'd probably have to follow your dog's line around that one jump

Sometimes I can manage an easy jump in isolation, but jumping is not my strong suite.

Nice trail, btw. Looks good.
Takes a good amount of practice. Where I currently live, there isn't much in the way of jumps. But thanks for the like!
Old 08-29-17, 05:53 PM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Welcome back WGG! Gawd, I suppose you're gonna say your married and have kids of your own now, haha. Edmonton, eh? Do you get over to kicking Horse or anywhere much?

Most of us old rabble (Maelstrom, Gastro and those guys) are over on FB now. Shoot me a PM if you want. I still have my now-ancient Yeti 303R DH and a not-as-old Yeti SB66. Was at Sun Peaks last month...headed for Whistler next weekend. Woot!
Old 08-29-17, 10:50 PM
WannaGetGood
B*ck From Th* D**d

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dminor
Welcome back WGG! Gawd, I suppose you're gonna say your married and have kids of your own now, haha. Edmonton, eh? Do you get over to kicking Horse or anywhere much?

Most of us old rabble (Maelstrom, Gastro and those guys) are over on FB now. Shoot me a PM if you want. I still have my now-ancient Yeti 303R DH and a not-as-old Yeti SB66. Was at Sun Peaks last month...headed for Whistler next weekend. Woot!
No none of that stuff yet, however, soon to come. I was wondering where you guys went. I expected to see you guys still posting in here. I was not able to do any bike parks this year unfortunately. Whistler is awesome, it lives up to all the hype. I haven't tried Sun Peaks yet but I have heard its a lot of fun. As for the Yeti's, any year is still sick. Do you order them in or do you have a LBS which has them?
Old 08-30-17, 10:34 AM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Both yetis were factory grassroots program purchases straight from Yeti: the 303R was a frame/shock-only that I built up with other sponsor parts; and the SB66 was a full bike, just in the 'budget' Enduro build kit version.

I'm working on ticking BC bike parks off my bucket list: been to Panorama twice, Fernie twice, Silver Star once, Sun Peaks three times (once for the Masters World Champs) and we've been to whistler once or twice a year for about the last 10 years. Only ones I haven't gotten to yet are Kicking Horse, Mt. Washington and Coast. each place has its own unique 'personality' that is cool in its own way. Pano is probably the most old-skool - - in a good way - - true DH singletrack; Silver Star has the most flow; and Fernie is my fav second to Whistler probably. Especially the trails off the Timber Chair. Most of the traffic is over on Elk Chair where all the blue and flow trails are. You pretty much get Timber all to yourself because it's mostly blacks and double-blacks.

Here's a link to some of my GoPros I've taken over the years:
https://vimeo.com/user19306061

Here's some raw, unedited footage of Rumplestumpskin at Fernie:

(crap, can't post a FB video URL)

Last edited by dminor; 08-30-17 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-04-17, 07:18 PM
WannaGetGood
B*ck From Th* D**d

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dminor
Both yetis were factory grassroots program purchases straight from Yeti: the 303R was a frame/shock-only that I built up with other sponsor parts; and the SB66 was a full bike, just in the 'budget' Enduro build kit version.

I'm working on ticking BC bike parks off my bucket list: been to Panorama twice, Fernie twice, Silver Star once, Sun Peaks three times (once for the Masters World Champs) and we've been to whistler once or twice a year for about the last 10 years. Only ones I haven't gotten to yet are Kicking Horse, Mt. Washington and Coast. each place has its own unique 'personality' that is cool in its own way. Pano is probably the most old-skool - - in a good way - - true DH singletrack; Silver Star has the most flow; and Fernie is my fav second to Whistler probably. Especially the trails off the Timber Chair. Most of the traffic is over on Elk Chair where all the blue and flow trails are. You pretty much get Timber all to yourself because it's mostly blacks and double-blacks.

Here's a link to some of my GoPros I've taken over the years:
https://vimeo.com/user19306061

Here's some raw, unedited footage of Rumplestumpskin at Fernie:

(crap, can't post a FB video URL)
I checked a couple of them out! Some sick footage you got there. I'm hoping next year, if everything goes to plan, Ill be able to check out more bike parks.