Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Bike rack question

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Bike rack question

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-18, 07:50 AM
WestWAGiant

Bikes: Giant Talon 2, Specialized Enduro Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bike rack question

I am wondering if anyone has experience with the Hollywood Sport Rider 4 bike rack? Quality? Durability?
Old 06-18-18, 01:18 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
FWIW: that's a good brand. I have a Hollywood rack, but it's not that one. hope that helps
Old 06-19-18, 05:35 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Those are the kind that end up rubbing the paint off the top tube.

If you are going to spend that kind of mony get a tray rack where the clamps come down on the tires not on the bike frame.

https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-...---2-_-1689772

https://www.1up-usa.com/products/

https://www.yakima.com/activity/bike

Last edited by prj71; 06-19-18 at 05:43 AM.
Old 06-21-18, 01:30 AM
Francisco Vega

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I heard that they make good Bike, never tried one before though. Anyone that can confirm?
Old 06-22-18, 11:42 AM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I highly recommend the Sportrider 4, WestWA. I have an older Sportrider 3 that has done numerous trips to Whistler, Fernie, Sun Peaks, Stevens Pass, Port Angeles...you name it, besides local weekly duty. The newer Sportriders have some improvements over mine that look like they only make them better, like the lock-down levers on the frame hooks. (BTW, I prefer frame hooks over wheel hooks).
What sells me on the Hollywood racks is METAL - - metal wheel trays, metal hardware - - the two big brands have so much damn plastic that, when they get older and sun-weathered all that plastic is going to start breaking down. If the wheel tray hoops on the Hollywood get damaged (mine got swiped in a parking lot once), you can repair/bend/re-weld things to fix it - - instead of buying expensive plastic replacement parts. I've had mine for several years (8? 10? can't recall) and it's still going strong.
Here's mine, loaded and ready for a Whistler trip:
Old 06-24-18, 08:30 PM
mack510

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hollywood racks have been around for ever, pretty sure mine is from the 80s and is still working like new
Old 11-18-18, 05:06 PM
PlanetCC

Bikes: FX Sport 4 Women's 2019

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NOOB here (first post LOL).

I'm buying a Trek FX s4 and I'm putting fenders on it. I really don't want an over the wheel carrier and this may fit the bill. What is the ease of putting it on the car?
Old 11-30-18, 05:22 PM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PlanetCC
What is the ease of putting it on the car?
Sorry, just saw this post today. These are hitch-mount, so you will need a receiver hitch. A word of advice: go for the 2" stinger model if you can. I had to go 1 1/4" because my old Subaru had the small receiver (only kind they used to sell for Subies). When I use it on the Outback with a 2" receiver, I have to use the adapter sleeve - - a pain in the ass.

As far as swapping it car-to-car, I find they are easier to manhandle in the folded-upright position. Slide into receiver, pin or bolt tight, then flip it down.
Old 12-03-18, 09:58 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
I've got an older -2 model, they're really super-simple. I like that they can fit any combination of bike sizes and frame shapes without much fuss.
They might be simple/basic compared to a Kuat or Thule, but that makes them a good value for the money.

Being that mine's older, it's all wing-nut / carriage bolt adjustment, and it stays on my car 8~9 months of the year. I grease the bolt threads once or twice a year, and that's about all it needs.

Originally Posted by PlanetCC
What is the ease of putting it on the car?
If your car already has a reciever hitch, it's a one-bolt job.

Originally Posted by prj71
Those are the kind that end up rubbing the paint off the top tube.
In my experience, the foam pads on the TT hooks start getting gummy and leaving black stuff on your paint, especially if it's a light colored bike.
Of course, the bike that's got the worst case of that spent almost 3,000 miles on there this summer.
Old 12-04-18, 11:43 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
In my experience, the foam pads on the TT hooks start getting gummy and leaving black stuff on your paint, especially if it's a light colored bike.
Of course, the bike that's got the worst case of that spent almost 3,000 miles on there this summer.
A few friends have those style racks and there is no paint left on the top tube where it hooks over. Rubbing/Vibration/Bouncing down the road causes it to happen.

Maybe it's just me, but I would never buy a bike rack that uses the frame as a clamp point.