Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

ISO for trigger shifter compatible with Sunrace R8O front derailleur

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-20, 04:21 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 72 Posts

First of all I need to mention I have very little experience with derailleur shifters since most of my other bikes have internal hubs.
I did replace my front derailleur recently because the old one broke. My local bike store got me a Sunrace R8O 8 speed front derailleur. It works with my existing SRAM twist shifter but the spring tension is so strong that I can hardly twist the shifter. Especially when the hands are getting sweaty. The tension on the new derailleur is a lot stronger than on the old derailleur.
Therefore I am thinking about replacing the twist shifter with a trigger shifter.
Also are there trigger shifters for front derailleurs which allow to shift up or down with just "one click" ? Originally the bike came with bar end shifters and it was kind of a "floating" shifting and painful to find the right spot when moving one gear up or down. I hated that. Plus the horrible ergonomics. I replaced the bar end shifters with twist shifters for better ergonomics. But even with them I always have to click up or down several times till I find the optimal setting. I don't like that either.
I basically like to get a shifter which allows me to shift up and down very quickly with just one click like on the rear derailleur.

Thanks
Old 09-02-20, 04:28 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
You can use a 3-speed trigger shifter with a 2-ring system, just set it up so that the lowest, extra shift slackens the cable. Two rings are pretty simple since you basically just need to shift off the low limit to the big ring, no fussing about getting the low-mid shift right like with 3 rings.
Old 09-02-20, 07:00 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Question... since the bike once had bar end shifters and now grip shift, is it a drop handlebar?

John
Old 09-02-20, 07:29 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Microshift is one of the Sun Race Group of companies...

I like friction shifters for front derailleurs..
Old 09-03-20, 08:26 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Question... since the bike once had bar end shifters and now grip shift, is it a drop handlebar?

John
No, no drop handle bar. Straight handlebar on a recumbent bike.
Old 09-03-20, 08:30 AM
Harhir

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
You can use a 3-speed trigger shifter with a 2-ring system, just set it up so that the lowest, extra shift slackens the cable. Two rings are pretty simple since you basically just need to shift off the low limit to the big ring, no fussing about getting the low-mid shift right like with 3 rings.
Thanks I will look into that.
Old 09-03-20, 08:57 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
If you have a flat bar, a thumb shifter works great for a double. I use an enormous Suntour XCD 4050 on all my flat bars because of my left thumb. It basically fits in my palm, like a faucet lever to upshift. I just push it the opposite direction with my fingers.

It’s a double. What’s to index, especially with triggers and no trim.

If you want to use a front trigger, you will need a road trigger because you have a road FD (R80). I’m not sure if the Sunrace FD is Shimano compatible, if it is, then a Claris 2x trigger shifter would work.

John