Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

For Those With Shimano SPD-SL Cleats

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-21, 04:43 PM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts

Please excuse the bold type , I'm nearing the time when cataract surgery will be necessary and I find that heavy contrast between bold type and the white background helps in the short term .

I posted a general question regarding cleat positioning but I think my framing of the question was confusing - I was recently reading an article online from the Canadian Cycling magazine on cleat positioning - there's a section in the article that talks about fore/aft positioning and while standing against a wall you measure the distance from heel to 1st medatarsal joint ( that boney thing a couple inches up from tip of big toe ) , mark that spot on the side of the shoe , and position the mark on the side of the Shimano SPD-SL cleat opposite the shoe mark - right after the words "Canadian Cycling Magazine Tip" there's a pic of a yellow Shimano SPD-L cleat lined up with that shoe mark - I have blue cleats but am having trouble seeing any noticeable mark(s) on the side - here's a link to that article - maybe someone with these cleats can describe what the cleat mark looks like .

https://cyclingmagazine.ca/sections/...t-your-cleats/
Likes For blinky:
Old 02-02-21, 06:28 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1001 Post(s)
Liked 1,216 Times in 697 Posts
They're referring to a very small bump on the side of the cleat. I needed to click on the image and enlarge it to be able to see it, so your cataracts might make it impossible. Rest assured though, it's a bump that you can at least feel if not see (about 2mm thick) on the real cleat.
Old 02-02-21, 08:31 PM
blinky

Originally Posted by urbanknight
They're referring to a very small bump on the side of the cleat. I needed to click on the image and enlarge it to be able to see it, so your cataracts might make it impossible. Rest assured though, it's a bump that you can at least feel if not see (about 2mm thick) on the real cleat.
Thanks Urbanknight , under a good light with a magnifier I can see them , one on each side , and they are definitely very small , thanks for your time and response !!
Likes For blinky:
Old 02-03-21, 12:00 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 849 Times in 411 Posts
After a couple weeks, you might, as an experiment, try pushing the cleats all the way back toward the heel. A lot of riders, me included, find this preferable. It induces a flatter pedaling position and a shorter lever to the ankle. Worth a try. Most who do this never move the cleats back to forward. Test will be best after you've used the 'standard position' for a number of rides, then see which you like better.
Old 02-03-21, 01:06 PM
blinky

Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
After a couple weeks, you might, as an experiment, try pushing the cleats all the way back toward the heel. A lot of riders, me included, find this preferable. It induces a flatter pedaling position and a shorter lever to the ankle. Worth a try. Most who do this never move the cleats back to forward. Test will be best after you've used the 'standard position' for a number of rides, then see which you like better.
Thanks for the tip BNBbikes , I have heard that many riders move 'em back , will try it , thanks !!