Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Covid bike demand and bike quality control

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-21, 11:39 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts

a friend who works in a busy bike shop said that he's seen a lot more quality control issues over the past few months than he has in the previous decade+ of working in shops. hydraulic brakes that just won't cooperate, shocks that blow apart within 48 hours of leaving the sales floor, wheels with unusually under-tensioned spokes, etc. anyone have experience like that? nothing is perfect, but I get the impression that there are more problems-per-product hitting the store than usual. can anyone confirm the degree to which manufacturers are pushing production at the cost of consistency?
Old 02-02-21, 02:19 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
I don't know certainly I have had an uptick in warranties filed but we have also massively increased our buying and selling of bikes so is there more QC issues or is it amplified because everything has grown? Certainly I would hope that it is just being amplified and not actually becoming a larger problem but it could be. If I was a betting person I would probably say it is just amplified and more people are riding and noticing issues but thankfully I am not because I could be wrong.

Some manufacturers are certainly not able to or not willing to respond to warranty claims, some are more notorious for issues pre-covid but some seem to have adopted more issues because they can't get into office or something but it certainly has been tough, I have some that are taking months and months and months sometimes to just get back in touch with me with a real person. Most of it is getting parts.
Old 02-02-21, 02:30 PM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 101 Posts
bought a new mountainbike (cannondale trail 5 2021) and i had a derailleur hanger defective , i had to replace with my own money. Km done , less than 300....
Old 02-02-21, 02:47 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
During the bike boom in the early '70s, quality really tanked. I think things are not as bad this time, but the supply hasn't increased to meet demand quite as much.
Old 02-02-21, 02:51 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Originally Posted by unterhausen
During the bike boom in the early '70s, quality really tanked. I think things are not as bad this time, but the supply hasn't increased to meet demand quite as much.
I was inspired by this forum to read "No Hands" about this history of the Schwinn Bicycle Company. I had not been born yet, but it sounds like that period was pretty wild. Schwinn was slapping together bikes so badly that dealers had shops full of bikes with missing parts while Trek, Mongoose, and Specialized were starting up and they blew Schwinn away.
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 02-02-21, 04:53 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle
a friend who works in a busy bike shop said that he's seen a lot more quality control issues over the past few months than he has in the previous decade+ of working in shops. hydraulic brakes that just won't cooperate, shocks that blow apart within 48 hours of leaving the sales floor, wheels with unusually under-tensioned spokes, etc. anyone have experience like that? nothing is perfect, but I get the impression that there are more problems-per-product hitting the store than usual. can anyone confirm the degree to which manufacturers are pushing production at the cost of consistency?
That’s easy.
Since the pandemic started, all bicycle and parts manufacturers are operating at 1.47% below normal QC tolerances.
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 02-02-21, 05:09 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

ISchwinn was slapping together bikes so badly that dealers had shops full of bikes with missing parts while Trek, Mongoose, and Specialized were starting up and they blew Schwinn away.
That must have been a later bike boom. AFAIK, Schwinn did okay during the one in the early '70s. I was mostly thinking of the European brands. Trek didn't exist until that boom had mostly died off, mid to late '70s. I don't know when Trek really started selling a lot of bikes, but I don't think it was until into the '80s.
Old 02-02-21, 06:13 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
I agree that QA management has been very minimal.
Old 02-03-21, 09:19 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
It's not really surprising. When demand increases, manufacturers ramp up production, and therefore sometimes quality tends to get overlooked in the quest to increase output, whether intentional or not. When you're telling your workers to ramp up production and get more units out the door, sometimes mistakes happen.
Old 02-03-21, 10:09 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
I'd hate to be running a big factory floor during Covid.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 02-04-21, 08:53 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Trek didn't exist until that boom had mostly died off, mid to late '70s. I don't know when Trek really started selling a lot of bikes, but I don't think it was until into the '80s.
Trek started in 1974. When I joined Trek in 1980, we were making about 10,000 frames/year. When I left in 1986, production was over 180,000 frames/year.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 02-04-21, 02:32 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by CrowSeph
bought a new mountainbike (cannondale trail 5 2021) and i had a derailleur hanger defective , i had to replace with my own money. Km done , less than 300....
If you bought the bike from an authorized dealer and the hanger was actually defective then they would have replaced it under warranty. I dislike Crackandfail but they aren't that bad in terms of warranty that they wouldn't support a warranty claim on a new bike like that unless of course it was not damage caused by manufacturing defects (hangers are designed to fail to save the actual derailleur). I would have just gone back to the authorized dealer I purchased the bike from and get it solved or if the shop was closed I would have contacted Crackandfail directly and they probably could have sent one if the requirements of warranty were met.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-04-21, 03:07 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Trek started in 1974. When I joined Trek in 1980, we were making about 10,000 frames/year. When I left in 1986, production was over 180,000 frames/year.
Is '74 counting Bevil Hogg's bike shop? I know Bevil had some dealings with the Burkes before the Waterloo days, mostly involving a bad contract involving chainsaws and the fact he was fluent in French. Vintage Trek says the first few hundred frames were built in '76, which lines up with the way I remember things. I got there very late in '77 IIRC.
Old 02-05-21, 09:00 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

checking derailer hanger alignment on a new bike is part of the build process. it's the responsibility of the bike builder, whether that is in a shop or a home for direct-to-consumer. it's just like pumping up tires and torquing stem bolts. there is not guarantee that the hanger survived shipping unscathed, and new hangers almost ALWAYS need to be tweaked for alignment after they are installed. it's impossible to product a "perfect" hanger because it has to fit and be aligned on the bike where it is being used.
Old 02-05-21, 12:00 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Is '74 counting Bevil Hogg's bike shop?
'74 was when the corporate charter was granted. It took a while after that before production could begin.
Old 02-05-21, 12:39 PM
skenry

Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I was inspired by this forum to read "No Hands" about this history of the Schwinn Bicycle Company. I had not been born yet, but it sounds like that period was pretty wild. Schwinn was slapping together bikes so badly that dealers had shops full of bikes with missing parts while Trek, Mongoose, and Specialized were starting up and they blew Schwinn away.

Feeling very old now..... Thanks
Old 02-05-21, 12:40 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Originally Posted by skenry
Feeling very old now..... Thanks
I'm rounding 40 soon and I have a pinched nerve in my neck that won't quit! does it get better from here?
Old 02-05-21, 12:48 PM
Snotrub

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Carbon Flash 2; 2017 Cannondale CAADX 105; 2021 Trek Domane SL6; 2021 Trek Top Fuel 9.7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 42 Posts
I'm rounding 40 soon and I have a pinched nerve in my neck that won't quit! does it get better from here?
Uh........NO!!
Likes For Snotrub:
Old 02-05-21, 01:03 PM
skenry

Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Nope. It's a fast downhill till the end
Likes For skenry:
Old 02-06-21, 07:46 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
I think history will show that quality control in almost all manufacturing suffered during the Covid period.
Old 02-06-21, 08:54 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I think history will show that quality control in almost all manufacturing suffered during the Covid period.
This.
I inspect incoming products for a living and can say I've seen more QC issues in the last year, often from manufacturers I've had little issue with in the past.
They tell me X% of the workforce is out at any given time and people are being shuffled into production roles who have no experience in it. Don't get me started on delivery and lead times.
Likes For dedhed: