Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

For those who stopped group rides over Covid ..

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

For those who stopped group rides over Covid ..

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-21, 02:59 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
After I'm vaccinated... maybe.

I've taken the pandemic very seriously all along because I worked in health care and several friends are doctors, nurses, EMTs and med techs. There's no doubt about how serious this is.

Toward the end of 2020 I began to relax a bit and I'd join *one* casual group ride a month for most months from July 2020-Jan 2021. I usually wore a mask because it was a relaxed pace and I was often at the back of the group as sweep and traffic guard. I haven't done any fast roadie group rides since late 2019 when I first heard news of the pandemic. And probably won't again anyway.

But I quit doing even one casual group ride a month after January when a friend who's about 10 years younger (I'm 63) developed COVID and is suffering the "long haul" after effects. Despite being in his early 50s, he's one of the strongest local riders and owns many local KOMs. When we rode together he always had to ride a very relaxed pace -- for him -- otherwise I'd be dropped within a few miles. But now he can barely turn the cranks. I noticed recently he hadn't posted on Strava for a month -- he usually rides or does Zwift every day -- and messaged him. He's struggling.

If a guy that strong can suffer those ominous lingering after effects, I'm not taking any chances.

There's one small group of close friends I'll ride with. We're all pretty much on board with reasonable precautions.

But others I know, especially in faster road groups, still contain vehement pandemic denialists who refuse to acknowledge it's real and won't get the vaccine. And that's despite the deaths of some of their parents and grandparents from COVID. At least one is even a health care professional -- I will never understand those people denying the reality of the coronavirus. I will never ride with those folks again. I won't fuss at them on social media. I still give 'em kudos on Strava. They're okay people. I wish them well. But I won't ride in their plague rat spittle clouds again.

TBH, I probably won't miss the fast roadie groups. I've changed my goals to solo time trials anyway, and resumed running a few months ago which is already a mostly solo thing. It'll be awhile before I do even a "fun" 5k group run, though.
exactly what i'm worried about.
Old 03-19-21, 04:21 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I don't miss my clubs' group rides. They are usually a dozen people and that dynamic doesn't allow me to ride in a way that I am efficient. I don't miss riding in groups where there are always some riders who don't know how to ride in a group. That can be dangerous. It would be nice to ride again with some of the "good wheels" I know. But, other than that, I don't miss it. Covid has just make it more obvious for me.
Old 03-19-21, 06:39 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
Back in 2013 (at age 56) I completely tore my rotator cuff and had to have surgery. During rehab I kept pushing for the surgeon to clear me for road riding (vs. first just recumbent stationary, than upright stationary) and he said something I've never forgotten: "You can ride your bike the rest of your life - this is the only time your shoulder can heal."

I'm looking at this time as "I can do group rides the rest of my life, hopefully now is the only time the risk is high of catching covid." I know that is simplifying things but I'll be vaccinated soon and the percentage of people in my area that have had covid or gotten the vaccine will likely be above 60% in a a few months - and there will be more data about what being vaccinated means and doesn't mean from a safety perspective.

I'm aiming for doing a group charity ride in May if possible.
Likes For jpescatore:
Old 03-19-21, 06:55 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I've been doing the occasional club ride since late summer or so. We keep the group small (typically 6-8 from a pool of a dozen regulars) and don't have the rotation of guest stars that we used to. We also acknowledge that we're at greater risk at any post-ride "recovery" activities, so we limit those to places with ample outdoor seating and we wear masks when not actively riding.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-19-21, 07:26 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by CoogansBluff
Just curious what your standard would be for returning. For those who haven't returned to group riding, or recently did, would getting a vaccine make you feel safe enough?

Group rides have resumed for some weeks here, although it appears participation is still down more than 50%.
Our club stopped group rides last March. A few people settled into small riding bubbles. I continued soloing. We started back up a couple of months ago with restrictions - limited group size, pace line spacing, masks when off the bike, absolute prohibition on spitting and snot-rocketing except off the back. This last was apparently too difficult for some folks to follow, so I reverted to soloing after one group ride. I’ve since got my shots, so I’m ok with resuming groups, which are operating under restrictions. It’s usually a mix of the vaccinated and the unvaxxed. People have also become better about restricting their spewing to the rear of the line.
Old 03-19-21, 07:29 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 3,153 Posts
...and we're not going to yell at you.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 03-19-21, 08:51 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
absolute prohibition on spitting and snot-rocketing except off the back. This last was apparently too difficult for some folks to follow, so I reverted to soloing after one group ride. I’ve since got my shots, so I’m ok with resuming groups, which are operating under restrictions. It’s usually a mix of the vaccinated and the unvaxxed. People have also become better about restricting their spewing to the rear of the line.

Why on Earth is this a covid-related thing only?

That's absolutely disgusting.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 03-19-21, 09:26 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Does one have to show proof of vaccination to get a button?
And if so, what then is the purpose of the button?
Good stuff.
If you think the people you ride with would lie to you, you need a better class of friends. If one is going to ride with a group for a long time, there has to be absolute trust between the riders. We put our lives in each other's hands. Thus my group has always been by invitation only. Highly recommended. Our motto is "safe and cooperative riding."

When you're vaccinated, you'll understand. The button says to those we meet on our adventures that we are safe to be near and that we give a damn. There should be cams to show the faces of people as they walk out of the vaccination room or drive away from the jab booth. Some people cry.
Old 03-19-21, 09:56 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Disney theme parks are opening at the end of March, I think. They will be instituting a no scream policy on their rides. I am sure they looked at data and talked to experts before deciding on this course. My point is we still really don't know a lot about COVID and everybody is still just making educated guesses. All you really can do is make educated guesses based on information that you feel applies in your situation.
Old 03-19-21, 10:10 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
If you think the people you ride with would lie to you, you need a better class of friends. If one is going to ride with a group for a long time, there has to be absolute trust between the riders. We put our lives in each other's hands. Thus my group has always been by invitation only. Highly recommended. Our motto is "safe and cooperative riding."

When you're vaccinated, you'll understand. The button says to those we meet on our adventures that we are safe to be near and that we give a damn. There should be cams to show the faces of people as they walk out of the vaccination room or drive away from the jab booth. Some people cry.
The irony is astounding.
You preach about group trust yet don’t trust members of your own group without a silly ‘vaccinated’ badge lmao.
The best part though is that the nature of the vaccine is that you are safe. You can still transmit to others who are not vaccinated though so have no idea where you are going with the ‘we are safe to be near’ silliness.

Last edited by downhillmaster; 03-19-21 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-19-21, 10:13 AM
Litespud

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Why on Earth is this a covid-related thing only?

That's absolutely disgusting.
to be fair, people would drift out to the side before blowing - it’s gross, but people made an effort not to spray those behind them. However, we decided that “not detectably splattering other riders” was too low a bar in the current climate, so spewing has been restricted to the back of the line where it belongs (and should always belong, regardless). Maybe when things return to normalish, this rule will continue - could be one of the many small positives that might come out of this mess

Last edited by Litespud; 03-19-21 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-19-21, 10:19 AM
Litespud

I volunteered at a large vaccination center in my town. Quite boring at times, because you’re saying/doing the same thing hundreds of times per shift. However, also very uplifting because the folks - mainly old folks- getting their shots were just so damn happy and relieved. It was like someone just let them out of jail.
Old 03-19-21, 10:29 AM
Litespud

The irony is astounding.
You preach about group trust yet don’t trust members of your own group without a silly ‘vaccinated’ badge lmao.
The best part though is that the nature of the vaccine is that you are safe. You can still transmit to others who are not vaccinated though so have no idea where you are going with the ‘we are safe to be near’ silliness.
we don’t yet know how transmissible the vaccinated are. However, I think it’s reasonable to assume that if you’re not propagating virus, any viral load you exhale or spew is going to be vastly reduced compared to an asymptomatically infected spewer. The likelihood of successfully passing on the infection drops away as the exhaled viral load decreases
Likes For Litespud:
Old 03-19-21, 10:51 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by Litespud
we don’t yet know how transmissible the vaccinated are. However, I think it’s reasonable to assume that if you’re not propagating virus, any viral load you exhale or spew is going to be vastly reduced compared to an asymptomatically infected spewer. The likelihood of successfully passing on the infection drops away as the exhaled viral load decreases
We have un-peer-reviewed data from Israel and the UK suggesting vaccinated people are unlikely to get asymptomatic infections. However, asymptomatic/presymptomatic folks were pretty efficient spreaders in the pre-vaccine era.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 03-19-21, 10:57 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3664 Post(s)
Liked 5,412 Times in 2,750 Posts
. The button says to those we meet on our adventures....that we give a damn.
Yep and I have no problem if it shames or offends anti vaxxers. I've ordered a roll of stickers and plan to share them widely..
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 03-19-21, 11:03 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
I started out being conservative. Then we did some "distanced" gravel rides last year. Larger groups between 20-50 riders but everyone rides alone or in small groups. I rode semi-regularly with the same guy and his family off and on throughout the summer.

I went on a 50 mile ride with him on a Sunday in November. I kept telling him I didn't "have it" in myself to do that ride. "I have no...umph....no 'go'. I feel winded but I'm not out of breath. My HR is low as well."

"Whatever man. It's one of the last days we will be able to ride outside for the year so let's just take our time and enjoy it." We did the whole 3 ish hours riding together, drafting, I worked on his bike, we stopped and talked and ate, etc.

A day or two later my wife was formally diagnosed with Covid and I was home with it as well. He never got it. My co-worker who I am in close proximity to at all times where we never wore masks, etc. - she never got it.

I got it from my wife. She is a front line nurse. She remembers the patient vividly. Sick, short of breath. His wife had covid. He swore he didn't and refused to wear a mask. She had to swab him and he coughed multiple times in her face. I won't discuss her PPE availability. She got Covid and it was covered under workman's comp. I got it from her.

She ended up in the ER with pneumonia. Was thankfully able to be treated enough in the ER to make it back home. She still fights long term fallout. Has been having a lot of reactions to the vaccine as well (mostly just periods of full on Covid symptoms rushing back). I have been having specific issues with heart rate fluctuations that I NEVER had before and brain fog that has manifested specifically in not being able to recall the names of people I have known forever. Only names, only people, and people like close friends and family. This isn't just forgetting them...it's like a mental block. I also used to have "hard reset" in the middle of conversations where I would stop mid sentence and forget what we were talking about, what I was saying, etc. like, "Hey I know we have been talking for a while but I have absolutely no idea what we were just talking about." I would remember everything the second the other person would remind me what we were saying. That part has almost disappeared.

I deal with the fallout near daily.

That said I am back to riding again and I am riding in small groups. No one is as slow as I am post covid so I really ride alone but a lot of times still with the one guy I mentioned above. I personally have no problems with group rides. At this point I truly feel it's up to everyone to decide what risk level works best for them. Some people are immunized, some have immunities, some don't care, some participate but use a mask. So be it.

I have cancelled our crit that we normally have in May but I committed last night to holding our cross race in November a couple of weeks before the national championships are held in our back yard.

When you return is up to you. I still look down my nose at the large group rides in like the ones in Naples, FL or out in California, but a collection of team riders or a shop ride of 20 or less - I have no issue with.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 03-19-21, 11:20 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

The irony is astounding.
A little negatory maybe, huh?
Old 03-19-21, 11:46 AM
Litespud

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
I started out being conservative. Then we did some "distanced" gravel rides last year. Larger groups between 20-50 riders but everyone rides alone or in small groups. I rode semi-regularly with the same guy and his family off and on throughout the summer.

I went on a 50 mile ride with him on a Sunday in November. I kept telling him I didn't "have it" in myself to do that ride. "I have no...umph....no 'go'. I feel winded but I'm not out of breath. My HR is low as well."

"Whatever man. It's one of the last days we will be able to ride outside for the year so let's just take our time and enjoy it." We did the whole 3 ish hours riding together, drafting, I worked on his bike, we stopped and talked and ate, etc.

A day or two later my wife was formally diagnosed with Covid and I was home with it as well. He never got it. My co-worker who I am in close proximity to at all times where we never wore masks, etc. - she never got it.

I got it from my wife. She is a front line nurse. She remembers the patient vividly. Sick, short of breath. His wife had covid. He swore he didn't and refused to wear a mask. She had to swab him and he coughed multiple times in her face. I won't discuss her PPE availability. She got Covid and it was covered under workman's comp. I got it from her.

She ended up in the ER with pneumonia. Was thankfully able to be treated enough in the ER to make it back home. She still fights long term fallout. Has been having a lot of reactions to the vaccine as well (mostly just periods of full on Covid symptoms rushing back). I have been having specific issues with heart rate fluctuations that I NEVER had before and brain fog that has manifested specifically in not being able to recall the names of people I have known forever. Only names, only people, and people like close friends and family. This isn't just forgetting them...it's like a mental block. I also used to have "hard reset" in the middle of conversations where I would stop mid sentence and forget what we were talking about, what I was saying, etc. like, "Hey I know we have been talking for a while but I have absolutely no idea what we were just talking about." I would remember everything the second the other person would remind me what we were saying. That part has almost disappeared.

That said I am back to riding again and I am riding in small groups. No one is as slow as I am post covid so I really ride alone but a lot of times still with the one guy I mentioned above. I personally have no problems with group rides. At this point I truly feel it's up to everyone to decide what risk level works best for them. Some people are immunized, some have immunities, some don't care, some participate but use a mask. So be it.

I have cancelled our crit that we normally have in May but I committed last night to holding our cross race in November a couple of weeks before the national championships are held in our back yard.

When you return is up to you. I still look down my nose at the large group rides in like the ones in Naples, FL or out in California, but a collection of team riders or a shop ride of 20 or less - I have no issue with.
Sorry to hear about your troubles. “long COVID” is indeed no joke and will likely be a major public health issue going forward. The NIH have just thrown (and I mean that almost literally - the submission and review process should require seatbelts) $1.5B at the issue - the first step being the assembly of a large well-characterized national cohort of “long haulers”, so we can look for common features and patient characteristics, the ultimate goal being to be able to predict who will develop long COVID, so we can intervene and halt the process before “acute COVID” becomes “long COVID”. And so we can effectively treat those already suffering.
Old 03-19-21, 12:21 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Made me cry. How it is. The wife of a very strong 60 y.o. riding buddy and dear friend got it. She doesn't know how. He nursed her through it and he seemed OK, but last Sunday he laid down in bed with her and died of a massive coronary. She's a long-hauler, too. He was Canadian, buried in Montreal, we had to watch the funeral on Zoom. Just how it is. All we can do is all we can do.

Each person being responsible for their risk level sounds good, but actually each of us is responsible for the risk level of everyone within spreading distance of us. It's interesting that Seattle went from having one of the highest infection rates in the country to one of the lowest, yet commute traffic has stayed about the same. Washington State instituted some very smart mitigation practices, not the strictest, but smart. Thus citizens, including bike riders, have been cooperative. The vaccinated, including us, are still to wear masks indoors in the company of others. Almost all indoor eating and drinking facilities are still takeout only. All the office workers I know work from home, though obviously many don't.

Our local bike club is limiting group rides to a maximum of 10, 10'-12' spacing, masked if possible while riding, required during stops, including the vaccinated. .
Old 03-19-21, 12:29 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Thank you for sharing this.
Old 03-19-21, 12:42 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bad stuff. Sorry to hear and hope it continues to clear.
Old 03-19-21, 01:19 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 439 Posts
On my end, I had stopped group riding in the first months (March to June-July), and restarted when it became pretty clear who was at risk and who wasn't.

I am not afraid at all of getting infected to be honest, but I am aware I could infect someone else that is at high risk of severe illness so I take all the necessary precautions to avoid being in close contact with people outside my household.
Old 03-19-21, 02:18 PM
IdahoSpud
Still Wheelies Motorcycle

Bikes: Masi, Novara, Specialized

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 20 Posts
Not seeing a good risk/reward ratio for group activities yet, even with vaccines becoming more widely available.

Nobody knows the long-term effects of either a Covid-19 infection or an injection of a mRNA vaccine. Anyone telling you different either has a time machine, or is making statements based on assumptions, not clinical observations over a period of years.

The momentary emotional payoff of a fun day - to me - is not worth either the well-known short-term health risk, nor the unknown long-term health risk. I will continue to ride solo, and maintain an objective and watchful attitude towards both the virus and the vaccines. When I'm convinced the vax is safe, I'll get it.

FWIW, I am not anti-vax. I'm current on everything, including a recent booster for whooping cough and Hep B for first responder at work. But I'm not a lab rat.
Old 03-19-21, 02:33 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 439 Posts
Originally Posted by IdahoSpud
Not seeing a good risk/reward ratio for group activities yet, even with vaccines becoming more widely available.

Nobody knows the long-term effects of either a Covid-19 infection or an injection of a mRNA vaccine. Anyone telling you different either has a time machine, or is making statements based on assumptions, not clinical observations over a period of years.

The momentary emotional payoff of a fun day - to me - is not worth either the well-known short-term health risk, nor the unknown long-term health risk. I will continue to ride solo, and maintain an objective and watchful attitude towards both the virus and the vaccines. When I'm convinced the vax is safe, I'll get it.

FWIW, I am not anti-vax. I'm current on everything, including a recent booster for whooping cough and Hep B for first responder at work. But I'm not a lab rat.
+1 on that. However, the majority of those who were infected have fully recovered so far and this is good news for mankind. Will they develop other illnesses in a few months / years and will there be a correlation with the virus they fought? Now that's a whole other question!
Likes For eduskator:
Old 03-19-21, 02:42 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
Well I am a regular lone ranger riding almost entirely solo. That has always been my choice just do to that fact I don't mind my own company and I can ride the way I like. I have had both shots and would not have been terribly worried outside riding n a group if I was a group rider. I think the key is that the group probably should be smaller and no need to ride in some peloton formation as such. The odd thing is now I actually would like to ride with at least someone once in awhile as isolation in other parts of life does take its toll. Being a cleric I cannot stand around after Mass and have discussions and greet parishioners. That has been really hard to take and probably why I can ride solo normally. I get plenty of social activities this way so riding a bike was a bit of an escape.

Personally if you have been vaccinated and are generally healthy I think a group ride is completely fine at this point. I even think in some areas of country things are ok even if you have not been vaccinated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.