Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help me restore this bike correctly - Advice needed

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-20, 02:42 PM
berkleydriskill

Bikes: 1960s Roberts Cycles Track Bike, 2006 EAI bareknuckle, 2020 6ku urban track, random others built and sold between

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 12 Posts

After a lot of research to determine the make of an unidentified frame I had recently purchased, I finally reached out to this forum to see with other users might suggest. With a bit of luck, I was advised that I had unknowingly purchased (for $75 off of craigslist) a rare Roberts Cycles track frame. I reached out to what is left of the now-folded Roberts Cycles Company and they too agree I was in possession of a Roberts Cycle Track Frame. The frameset I purchased is serial number #414 dating from the mid to late 1960s. Unfortunately, because the data was lost in a robbery at the Roberts premises, determining the exact year of the frame is lost to history. Regardless, I am taking on the project of restoring the frameset to its original condition to the best of my ability.

Are any of you familiar with early model versions of the Roberts Cycles Track bikes/frames? I am trying to pinpoint the exact color the frame should be for this period as well as the correct components. The manufacture shared with me photos of an earlier model frame (serial number 66) that showed a red and silver (possibly chrome) paint scheme with gold pinstriping. I have also located a late 1970s catalog from a USA based importer stating that the majority of the Roberts Track Frames from the 70s were all white.

I have searched tirelessly online to get photos of these frames, but the majority of the photos available are of frames from the 1980 and on.

If any of you have any knowledge of mid to late 1960s to early 1970s Roberts Track Frames, could you please provide some advice?

Thank you so much for your help!
Likes For berkleydriskill:
Old 11-02-20, 03:41 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
@berkleydriskill

H**Y CRAP MAN!

Very cool, no real advice but to stay the course your on and that it was likely all Campy of the day which would be the go to if not.

Wheels and hubs for this may be the biggest challenge as time is not kind to them and track hubs come at a premium.

Road hubs are acceptable and can be converted to solid axle for place holders if need be but the rear is a kludge with freewheel threads.

The color you have looks to be original but who knows. The few Roberts I have seen included 2 that were white with red panels.

You should be able to find at least 1 here on BF if you search and are prepared to sift a lot.

Last edited by merziac; 11-02-20 at 03:46 PM.
Likes For merziac:
Old 11-02-20, 04:30 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

@berkleydriskill

Ed Litton painted one of the ones that is here somewhere, you may be able to get info from him.
Old 11-02-20, 07:18 PM
uncleivan 

Bikes: '92 MX Leader, 84 Colnago Mexico, 85 Recherche, 86 Panasonic ATB Pro, 88 Roberts, 80 moser... ect

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 67 Posts
Ive found a lot more information on Roberts on the retro bike uk forum.
Old 11-03-20, 02:40 PM
berkleydriskill

Bikes: 1960s Roberts Cycles Track Bike, 2006 EAI bareknuckle, 2020 6ku urban track, random others built and sold between

Originally Posted by merziac
@berkleydriskill

H**Y CRAP MAN!

Very cool, no real advice but to stay the course your on and that it was likely all Campy of the day which would be the go to if not.

Wheels and hubs for this may be the biggest challenge as time is not kind to them and track hubs come at a premium.

Road hubs are acceptable and can be converted to solid axle for place holders if need be but the rear is a kludge with freewheel threads.

The color you have looks to be original but who knows. The few Roberts I have seen included 2 that were white with red panels.

You should be able to find at least 1 here on BF if you search and are prepared to sift a lot.

Thanks so much! The plan as of now, and as long as I can afford it is to do a Campy groupset. Considering the price, I might have to piece it out bit by bit making the restoration process take a lot longer than I would like. Being as impatient as I am, this is going to be tough, but I don't see any other way around it. As far as the wheels/hubs go, I too feel this will probably have to be a deviation from a complete period piece restoration. Not sure yet what would look best or be within budget, but always open to suggestions. Also, thanks for the advice on Ed Litton. I am still a newbie to the forum, but I am sure I will eventually be able to find him and the photos you mentioned. Thanks again!
Old 11-03-20, 02:41 PM
berkleydriskill

Originally Posted by uncleivan
Ive found a lot more information on Roberts on the retro bike uk forum.
That is a great suggestion. I will see what I can find there as well.
Old 04-12-21, 10:20 AM
berkleydriskill

After 6+ months of work, she's finally done.
A full list of photos can be found here Roberts Bike | Flickr

Period Correct Components dating 1950’s-1960’s:

Ambrosio Champion “Dural Forge ET Estampe” Stem 95mm x 26mm

Ambrosio Champion Pista Drop-bar Handlebars

Campagnolo #1051, Record Pista (144bcd) 165 mm Crank Set with matching Campy Crank Bolts and Campagnolo Pista Chainring Bolts

Campagnolo seat post 27.2 diameter, 180 mm length #1044

Campagnolo Super Record Road-Track Alloy Toe Clips (Most likely from the 1980’s)

Campagnolo Nuovo Super Record #1072 Seat Post Binder Fixing Bolt 8 x 19 mm

Campagnolo Headset – Exact model unknown

Modern Components:

Campagnolo Record Pista Bottom Bracket

Charles Roberts, Chrome Racing Bar Plugs

Brooks Cambium Saddle C15

Izumi Jet Black with Gold Pins 1/2 x 1/8 Track Bike Chain

MKS Sylvan all black Track pedals

6KU 30mm Deep V Double-Walled Alloy Wheels

Novatec Flip-Flop Hubs

Christophe Vintage Leather Toe Straps

Custom printed Decals provided by hlloydcycles.com

Alternate Setup - Nitto B259 Urban Riser Handlebar + NITTO Y-3 Bicycle Stem 6-9 Young 22.2, 90mm
Old 04-12-21, 11:19 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,253 Posts
Heck of a bike.
Likes For clubman:
Old 04-12-21, 11:29 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
Looks beutiful! Who ended up doing the frame refinishing work, I didn't see that listed? (sorry if I missed it)
And how'd you settle on black for the color? 9surely there must be a story)

Likes For francophile:
Old 04-12-21, 11:50 AM
berkleydriskill

Originally Posted by francophile
Looks beutiful! Who ended up doing the frame refinishing work, I didn't see that listed? (sorry if I missed it)
And how'd you settle on black for the color? 9surely there must be a story)
You're right, I totally forgot to mention and give credit to Robert Gassie, owner of https://www.bingbicycle.com/aboutus.html for his excellent frame painting skills.
Black and Gold is just my favorite color combination. Using a photo of a similar-aged Roberts frame with original paint intact, I designed the paint scheme and Rob did a great job bringing it to life.
Old 04-12-21, 12:07 PM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 80 Posts
Wow! Really nice.
Likes For John Nolan:
Old 04-12-21, 12:14 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Fantastic work on this build.
Likes For bOsscO:
Old 04-12-21, 12:46 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Beautiful build

Perfect blend of period correct and modern. Classy af!
Likes For Senrab62:
Old 04-12-21, 12:58 PM
berkleydriskill

Originally Posted by Senrab62
Perfect blend of period correct and modern. Classy af!
Thank you so much! I was a bit worried there would be negative feedback for the lack of a complete restoration using all period components, but I do plan to use this as my daily commuter, so certain items needed to be adjusted. Thanks again for the compliment.
Old 04-12-21, 01:43 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by berkleydriskill
Thank you so much! I was a bit worried there would be negative feedback for the lack of a complete restoration using all period components, but I do plan to use this as my daily commuter, so certain items needed to be adjusted. Thanks again for the compliment.
The only thing I think anyone could give you beef about is the riser/tracker bar with BMX style grips, but seeing the bike with a proper old school drop-wrapped track bar BEFORE the other pics, I'd be shocked if anyone will give you hell

I'm sure you already had to spend enough on the repaint/re-decal alone. I can't imagine what the crankset and other parts cost. SS campy hubs will set you back a mint, I see single hubs go for $50-125 all day long in piss-poor to good shape, respectively. I can't knock your choices in this case. You brought a classic back to life.

Likes For francophile:
Old 04-12-21, 01:46 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
This bike is beautiful. No one will give you grief over the mix of parts. A lot of posters here do that from time to time especially when the bike is a rider and not a museum piece.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 04-12-21, 01:49 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
What kind of riding are you doing on this beauty? And I'm not clear on whether you're using the riser or the drop bars.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 04-12-21, 02:31 PM
berkleydriskill

Originally Posted by noglider
What kind of riding are you doing on this beauty? And I'm not clear on whether you're using the riser or the drop bars.
Admittedly, I will be using the risers more often than not and this is only due to comfort and practicality. While the risers are more suited for my daily ride, I agree and concur that the Ambrosio Drop-bars give the bike its proper look, but are simply not my preference for daily riding. Richmond has quite a lot of hills and I have little experience on a velodrome, so the drop bars will come out on special occasions. Thank you all so much for the feedback. Hearing others talk about this project has really made the last 6 months worth the effort and breaking the bank.
Old 04-12-21, 02:37 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,253 Posts
The shot in the creek is cool. Not afraid to get a little wet?
Likes For clubman:
Old 04-12-21, 02:44 PM
berkleydriskill

Originally Posted by clubman
The shot in the creek is cool. Not afraid to get a little wet?
Honestly, it was the quickest and easiest way to rid the tires of all the pollen that had covered the tires. After giving the wheels a few spins in the creek I noticed the sunlight through the trees and figured it was as good a shot as any to take of the new bike. I like the way it came out. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-12-21, 03:11 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
We're actually pretty far from that kind of bunch, still around longer and see! Awesome bike.
Likes For polymorphself:
Old 04-12-21, 03:52 PM
merziac

Again, H**Y CRAP!

No worries, great job.

All good, period.
Likes For merziac:
Old 04-12-21, 03:55 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Wow, what a beautiful bike... Yeah, most folks here believe bikes are meant to be ridden, and comfort and fit are foremost. Great job!
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 04-12-21, 04:26 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
From the feedback you can see the love and passion. It's what's awesome about the forum and bicycles in general. Do what you will as long as you ride it. Thanks for sharing!
Likes For Senrab62:
Old 04-12-21, 04:44 PM
merziac

@berkleydriskill

Poetic license can serve us well as it has you here.

The ability to tastefully "reroute" the vibe, aesthetic, etc. can be very good in many cases like this.

If it had come with all the original or like components in usable condition, it might have been a different story.
Likes For merziac:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.