Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Pinarello Treviso value?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-21, 10:20 PM
labufanda

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pinarello Treviso value?

HI,
I was wondering how much a bike like this would be worth? It looks like the bike had a repaint and the components somewhat match up. I've never seen pinarello cranks like that before - I'm not sure if that's a super record or not...

vancouver.craigslist.org/rds/bik/d/delta-southeast-pinarello-treviso/7284450018.html
Old 04-14-21, 07:16 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
I believe this is higher than a Treviso model, maybe a Montello, although I'd expect to see the GPT logo on the seat stay caps so it could be a model or two lower. Not only that but you don't see pantographed parts on the lower-end models. The groupset is not necessarily top-end though, so I suspect something 1-2 places from the top, if those parts are original.

A lot of people unfamiliar with the brand think everything is a "Pinarellos Treviso" because a lot of Pinarello frames carry the word TREVISO somewhere on the frame .... TREVISO is where they're made. I'd need to go back in catalogs to see if the Treviso actually came with a chrome chainstay in the mid '80s, which I believe is probably the era of this bike. You can check catalogs at Bulgier.net

Pinarellos are notorious for the PINARELLO decal on the seat and down tubes flaking away with time, the decals weren't clearcoated from the factory. The decals on your sample are impeccable, which means it either hasn't been ridden, or it's a repaint, or the PINARELLO lettering decals were recently replaced. But all the decals we would expect are there, and in the right places, so if it's a repaint it looks exceptional to me.

You need to understand a couple of things. First, you should look up what a "pantograph" is. You'll clearly see your 1st mistake about the crank Second, go look up Campagnolo Triomphe and/or Campagnolo Victory. It will clarify your 2nd mistake about the crank

Suggestion: Any time you're wondering about a specific vintage part, use Google and include the term "velobase" in your results. Like .... campagnolo victory velobase. This will take you to Velobase, which will have pictures of the part or group you're interested in.

As for the price, If all-original, and that's CAD not USD, yes, it's a totally fair price for a Pinarello in that shape if you're looking for a Pinarello. I'd prefer to get that price down closer to $1000 CAD if I were truly interested in buying, but I'm also a cheapskate sometimes.

Edit: Looks like a mid-80s Catena Lusso, maybe: https://bulgier.net/pics/bike/catalo...arello85/3.jpg

Last edited by francophile; 04-14-21 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-17-21, 12:18 AM
labufanda

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by francophile
I believe this is higher than a Treviso model, maybe a Montello, although I'd expect to see the GPT logo on the seat stay caps so it could be a model or two lower. Not only that but you don't see pantographed parts on the lower-end models. The groupset is not necessarily top-end though, so I suspect something 1-2 places from the top, if those parts are original.

A lot of people unfamiliar with the brand think everything is a "Pinarellos Treviso" because a lot of Pinarello frames carry the word TREVISO somewhere on the frame .... TREVISO is where they're made. I'd need to go back in catalogs to see if the Treviso actually came with a chrome chainstay in the mid '80s, which I believe is probably the era of this bike. You can check catalogs at Bulgier.net

Pinarellos are notorious for the PINARELLO decal on the seat and down tubes flaking away with time, the decals weren't clearcoated from the factory. The decals on your sample are impeccable, which means it either hasn't been ridden, or it's a repaint, or the PINARELLO lettering decals were recently replaced. But all the decals we would expect are there, and in the right places, so if it's a repaint it looks exceptional to me.

You need to understand a couple of things. First, you should look up what a "pantograph" is. You'll clearly see your 1st mistake about the crank Second, go look up Campagnolo Triomphe and/or Campagnolo Victory. It will clarify your 2nd mistake about the crank

Suggestion: Any time you're wondering about a specific vintage part, use Google and include the term "velobase" in your results. Like .... campagnolo victory velobase. This will take you to Velobase, which will have pictures of the part or group you're interested in.

As for the price, If all-original, and that's CAD not USD, yes, it's a totally fair price for a Pinarello in that shape if you're looking for a Pinarello. I'd prefer to get that price down closer to $1000 CAD if I were truly interested in buying, but I'm also a cheapskate sometimes.
Actually, I just found a VERY similar bike here: premium-cycling.com/product/pinarello-dolomite-campagnolo-victory-56cm-new-old-stock-1987-88/
which makes me want to believe that this is an identical bike. What do you think?
Old 04-17-21, 02:17 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by labufanda
Actually, I just found a VERY similar bike here: premium-cycling.com/product/pinarello-dolomite-campagnolo-victory-56cm-new-old-stock-1987-88/
which makes me want to believe that this is an identical bike. What do you think?
Nope. Look at the seat stay caps. Not a Dolomite. Dolomite seat stay caps have no pantograph and are painted. The subject bike and the one I linked are no pantograph and chrome. Virtually all the higher-end bikes in that era had both pantographed and chrome seat stay caps.

The bike I posted in the 1985 catalog from my last reply is a dead-on match to what you posted. The one you linked may be +/- 1 year difference, but has the same unpantographed seat stay caps, pantographed drive side chainstay, all-chrome fork, paint color, decal orientation, etc.

I dunno. Maybe I'm totally wrong here. I've only been dabbling in vintage bikes for a few weeks. Someone line P!N20 could possible help.

Old 04-17-21, 04:32 PM
515Cycling

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda, 1976 Colnago Super

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 27 Posts
There is also a FB Vintage Pinarello Group. There is a guy that knows everything about these bikes. I'm restoring a 1983 Treviso right now and the expert on their site really makes definitive calls on the bike's model and year. As francophile says, there are also experts here. It's just a matter of time before they see the thread. The FB site has a lot less traffic and your post won't fall off the page before someone sees it. That bike is gorgeous.