Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Using the Planet Bike Red Zeppelin Inflator with Schrader valves

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 04-14-21, 07:11 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts

I’ve been going thru my under seat bags in preparation for the upcoming season. In one I found a Planet Bike Red Zeppelin CO2 inflator. Fortunately, I’ve never had the occasion to use it while out on a ride . I was checking it out an saw that it’s threaded for both Schrader and Presta valves. What I don’t see is anything that would depress the “pin” of the Schrader valve to allow the CO2 to inflate the tube. Am I missing a part or am I wrong to believe that the pin needs to be depressed to allow the tube to fill?
Old 04-16-21, 11:57 AM
Shay Howe 
2 speed- slow and slower

Bikes: Gravity X-Rod 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by sovende
I’ve been going thru my under seat bags in preparation for the upcoming season. In one I found a Planet Bike Red Zeppelin CO2 inflator. Fortunately, I’ve never had the occasion to use it while out on a ride . I was checking it out an saw that it’s threaded for both Schrader and Presta valves. What I don’t see is anything that would depress the “pin” of the Schrader valve to allow the CO2 to inflate the tube. Am I missing a part or am I wrong to believe that the pin needs to be depressed to allow the tube to fill?
The only springs in a Schrader valve hold the plunger shut, so enough pressure headed in from outside should blow past it like it's an overpressure relief valve and inflate it just fine. If anything it's a plus- once the pressure on both sides equalizes the spring will close it, with no pressure loss as the inflator is removed. Depressing the pin on inflation mainly serves simply to open the airway to maximum size for flow rate purposes.
Old 04-16-21, 06:48 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
The pin needs to be depressed. There may be some little innard that gets turned around.

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...l#post21980977
Old 04-17-21, 04:32 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Shay Howe
The only springs in a Schrader valve hold the plunger shut, so enough pressure headed in from outside should blow past it like it's an overpressure relief valve and inflate it just fine. If anything it's a plus- once the pressure on both sides equalizes the spring will close it, with no pressure loss as the inflator is removed. Depressing the pin on inflation mainly serves simply to open the airway to maximum size for flow rate purposes.
I emailed Customer Service at Planet Bike and the woman that replied said pretty much the same thing . As I had told her, my experience with floor pumps was that the pin had to be depressed to allow air to fill the tube. It seems that the pressure generated by the CO2 cartridge is much higher than that generated by a floor pump. I will be testing the Planet Bike inflator to ensure proper function but it seems that my Red Zeppelin inflator is NOT missing any components
Old 04-17-21, 07:34 PM
John Valuk

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by sovende
It seems that the pressure generated by the CO2 cartridge is much higher than that generated by a floor pump.
I think that the pressure - gas in equilibrium with liquid - is something like 850 psi at 70° F.
Old 04-17-21, 08:02 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Ah, I hadn't thought about the CO2 aspect. Good to know.