Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

Tahoe Pyramid Trail Short Tour - Camping Beta?

Search
Notices
Northern California Northern California

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-21, 03:03 PM
simplestyle

Bikes: Novara Safari

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm planning to ride the Tahoe Pyramid trail from Lake Tahoe to Reno with two nights of camping along the way. Has anyone done a similar trip? Thanks in advance for any insights!
Old 03-30-21, 12:02 PM
simplestyle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nobody? Has anyone ridden this trail? Did it look like you could dip into the woods at any point and find a flat spot? Or maybe there are steep slopes the whole way and camping will be hard? Any feedback is much appreciated!!
Old 03-31-21, 01:18 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by simplestyle
Nobody? Has anyone ridden this trail? Did it look like you could dip into the woods at any point and find a flat spot? Or maybe there are steep slopes the whole way and camping will be hard? Any feedback is much appreciated!!
One of thees might help; https://ridewithgps.com/find#search/...5D=rank%20DESC
Old 03-31-21, 03:51 PM
simplestyle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very cool, thanks!!
Old 03-31-21, 05:27 PM
anotherbrian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I've not ridden the trail myself, but I've seen pics on Strava from a couple friends who have.

I assume you are riding a gravel or MTB?

From the pics, it looks like there would be opportunities to get off the trail into some trees, however the section from Hirschdale to Verdi is completely in the deep canyon. You might find pics by looking at this Strava segment
https://www.strava.com/segments/22888030?filter=overall

and then click through to various rides and see if they have any pics visible. Look for the slower ride times -- the fast ones probably didn't stop to take pics.

Here's a random one I found with pics. I'm sure there are many others:
https://www.strava.com/activities/35...44550659099221

and

https://www.strava.com/activities/35...75452062267275

Last edited by anotherbrian; 03-31-21 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-05-21, 11:46 AM
simplestyle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah! Awesome way to search it out, thanks! Yes we'll be on 1 mountain and 1 gravel bike and towing a trailer behind that has a shock.
Old 04-13-21, 08:40 PM
hyp0xic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When are you planning to do your ride? Some camping options don't become available until May/June. I live in Truckee. As I write this, there's 6" fresh snow that just came down. But will be melted by the weekend.

From Tahoe City to Verdi (Reno) it's about 40 miles and 70% will be paved path and road. Takes about 4 hrs to do that route. Only the section from Hirschdale down to Verdi is dirt. Some mean switchbacks on there for a trailer but totally doable.

So it's a pretty short and uninteresting route for 2 days of camping. There's many alternatives / deviations to that route and can include the I-80 canyon section. More interesting flowers, scenery, less cars. Some modest increase tin distance and the camping/food/drink options increase and can and stay off Hwy 89.

Happy to help design a better route for you and upload to Strava or Ride With GPS.

What's your daily ride range in miles / elevation?

What's your Day 1 start time and intended Day 3 end time?

What time of year?
Old 04-29-21, 12:54 PM
simplestyle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We are planning to ride during the third week of May. Funny story, so far the biggest hurdle has been getting the gear in order! I have had a BOB for years (decade even) and preach the glories of this style trailer. Leading my brother to purchase a Burley COHO. Now from what I can research/shop online this thing looks AWESOME. But upon arrival he found that the tabs between which to mount the yoke were out of tolerance and the yoke could not be inserted. Assembly impossible. Burley ships out another one. Same situation. UGH!

Back to routing --> after going round and round about the TPT we decided that it's probably a little mellow and uninteresting. So now we're looking for more of a situation where we drive into a campsite and spend a couple days riding bikes from there.

Still open to suggestions! We're leaving Reno by Jeep around 9AM day 1 and arriving back in Reno by 5PM day 3. Hoping to see some nice lakes.

Happy riding out there!
Old 05-01-21, 08:43 PM
chineezguy

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2, Easy Racer recumbent, Raleigh Sojourn, Yuba Mundo, Kuota K-Factor

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice gesture

Originally Posted by hyp0xic
When are you planning to do your ride? Some camping options don't become available until May/June. I live in Truckee. As I write this, there's 6" fresh snow that just came down. But will be melted by the weekend.

From Tahoe City to Verdi (Reno) it's about 40 miles and 70% will be paved path and road. Takes about 4 hrs to do that route. Only the section from Hirschdale down to Verdi is dirt. Some mean switchbacks on there for a trailer but totally doable.

So it's a pretty short and uninteresting route for 2 days of camping. There's many alternatives / deviations to that route and can include the I-80 canyon section. More interesting flowers, scenery, less cars. Some modest increase tin distance and the camping/food/drink options increase and can and stay off Hwy 89.

Happy to help design a better route for you and upload to Strava or Ride With GPS.

What's your daily ride range in miles / elevation?

What's your Day 1 start time and intended Day 3 end time?

What time of year?
Rigbt nice of you to offer your help!