Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

SWB recumbent vs. pea gravel

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Old 04-10-21, 10:56 AM
jobtraklite

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I知 looking for information and advice regarding a Lightning P-38 on bike trails with pea gravel on top of crushed rock. I知 a recumbent newbie, but no stranger to bike touring.

How about trails that are usually in good condition such as Great Allegheny Passage, Erie Canal between Lockport and Rochester (New Yorkers call it stone dust), and the Katy Trail (unless there痴 been flooding)?

How about state trails in Wisconsin and Michigan that are not always maintained as well?
Old 04-10-21, 12:33 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
It might depend on what tires and wheels you have on your bike. I own an Haluzak Horizon SWB that uses a 20 X 1.35" Primo Comet tire rated for 100 psi. I tried it on a loose gravel road here in Nevada just one time and it was miserable. I managed to crash it because it was so hard to steer under those conditions. It's a great bike for riding pavement but definitely not for off road.
Old 04-10-21, 01:03 PM
jobtraklite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
It might depend on what tires and wheels you have on your bike. I own an Haluzak Horizon SWB that uses a 20 X 1.35" Primo Comet tire rated for 100 psi. I tried it on a loose gravel road here in Nevada just one time and it was miserable. I managed to crash it because it was so hard to steer under those conditions. It's a great bike for riding pavement but definitely not for off road.
Oops. I forgot to mention 27x1 1 1/4 rear and 16x1 3/8 front.

Bike trails I have in mind are not like gravel roads. We have those is Illinois; and I hate to ride them with even mountain bike tires. The bike trails I am thinking of might have some loose gravel when a new load is dumped on them. But it soon sinks in, leaving a fairly hard surface.

Also, I not sure what the term "off road" includes. When I hear it, I think of mountain biking.
Old 04-12-21, 03:35 AM
Palmer

Bikes: Dawes Double Blue, Vision R-42 SWB, Bacchetta Giro, Lemond Maillot Jaune, Lemond Washoe, Holdsworth Special, Gitane Champion du Monde, Bob Jackson World Tour, Bianchi Professional, Nashbar C/Tour

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The crushed limestone trails (like the GAP) shouldn't be a problem. I've seen several recumbents, both LWB and SWB, on such trails. The pea gravel might be a different story. I've done some short stretches on similar surfaces with my Bachetta. I got through, but it wasn't much fun.
Old 04-13-21, 09:29 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
I don't mind riding my SWB recumbent on packed or crushed trails. Also dried dirt trails or roads are fine. But I do not like loose gravel at all. Same with mud. It is too hard to keep the balance if you start sliding.
Old 04-13-21, 10:02 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 946 Times in 553 Posts
ya its the same on our tandem that front wheel likes to slide.
Old 04-14-21, 10:32 AM
jobtraklite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Palmer
The crushed limestone trails (like the GAP) shouldn't be a problem. I've seen several recumbents, both LWB and SWB, on such trails. The pea gravel might be a different story. I've done some short stretches on similar surfaces with my Bachetta. I got through, but it wasn't much fun.
I think you've answered my question. It's trails like the GAP that I am interested in.