Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Lightweight summer cargo type pants for cycling?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Lightweight summer cargo type pants for cycling?

Old 04-13-21, 06:52 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/CSYSX-Visibil...8361556&sr=8-7
Old 04-13-21, 07:10 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by Illgot
so here is the deal.

1) I have two bad knees but still like to ride. It is the only time I get to move around fast and bicycling is a light impact exercise on my old knees.

2) I live in an apartment building which not only uses key fobs on every door but for some reason decided the key fob should be 4 feet from the door so you have to fob, rush to the door while holding your bike, pull the door open, then keep the door open while you ferry your bicycle through because the doors have pistons.

3) the apartment I live in has two small elevators. One is down frequently and the jackasses that live in my building (12 floors) like to hold the elevator on their floor for reasons. It could be anything from a person deciding to keep the elevator on their floor while they unload groceries to workers keeping the elevator on their floor while they are replacing carpeting. The apartment also likes to reserve the elevator for people moving in which at times has left us with no working elevators even though it is against the disabilities act in my state.

4) I have a car but prefer to bike when shopping with in a 5 mile radius. I also work with in 5 miles so I bike to work and shop on the way home. I often use two panniers on my bike (hence why I use a gravel bike) either stuffed with work related gear or groceries. This is when I usually run into issues with the doors because the bike becomes cumbersome especially when carrying 50 pounds of bike and gear up 7 flights of stairs.

5) what, is this all you have to offer to this topic?

I'm just looking for suggestions on decent summer bicycle pants that are tear resistant from the metal teeth on bicycle pedals.
You want pants because the teeth snag clothing too easily. I still don’t get it.

“and don't want my knees to lower legs exposed because those teeth slice through my skin and snag clothing too easily.”
Old 04-13-21, 07:34 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
I gouged my legs with the pins on my pedals once. Once.

I've been more careful ever since. Problem solved.
same here, except maybe a few times. You eventually build a special awareness of your pedals teeth and learn to subconsciously avoid them.
Old 04-14-21, 08:17 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,167 Times in 763 Posts
so here is the deal.

1) I have two bad knees but still like to ride. It is the only time I get to move around fast and bicycling is a light impact exercise on my old knees.

2) I live in an apartment building which not only uses key fobs on every door but for some reason decided the key fob should be 4 feet from the door so you have to fob, rush to the door while holding your bike, pull the door open, then keep the door open while you ferry your bicycle through because the doors have pistons.

3) the apartment I live in has two small elevators. One is down frequently and the jackasses that live in my building (12 floors) like to hold the elevator on their floor for reasons. It could be anything from a person deciding to keep the elevator on their floor while they unload groceries to workers keeping the elevator on their floor while they are replacing carpeting. The apartment also likes to reserve the elevator for people moving in which at times has left us with no working elevators even though it is against the disabilities act in my state.

4) I have a car but prefer to bike when shopping with in a 5 mile radius. I also work with in 5 miles so I bike to work and shop on the way home. I often use two panniers on my bike (hence why I use a gravel bike) either stuffed with work related gear or groceries. This is when I usually run into issues with the doors because the bike becomes cumbersome especially when carrying 50 pounds of bike and gear up 7 flights of stairs.

5) what, is this all you have to offer to this topic?

I'm just looking for suggestions on decent summer bicycle pants that are tear resistant from the metal teeth on bicycle pedals.
None of what you explained has anything to do with metal teeth on the bike pedals. You have three options here:

1.) Learn to carry your bike differently.
2.) Find some pedals without pins that aren't so sharp.
3.) Use your car and carry your groceries like the rest of us.

Companies don't make pants with the thought of what materials to use to keep pins on bicycle pedals from ripping them.

Last edited by prj71; 04-14-21 at 08:21 AM.
Old 04-14-21, 05:04 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
at least he doesn't have these:

Old 04-14-21, 11:16 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by dr1445
back in the old days there were metal pants clips to prevent such events.
Originally Posted by Koyote
They're still around. Velcro straps, too. Problem solved.
Or rubber bands, or one I've used too many times: tuck the pants into your socks.
Old 04-14-21, 11:21 PM
Camilo

If you don't mind the cost, check out Prana pants. They're very comfortable and, while they don't look it, are stretchy. I use them for hiking and general use (they look pretty good), but they're also very popular with serious rock climbers because of the way they work and toughness.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 04-15-21, 03:55 AM
Illgot

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
None of what you explained has anything to do with metal teeth on the bike pedals. You have three options here:

1.) Learn to carry your bike differently.
2.) Find some pedals without pins that aren't so sharp.

Companies don't make pants with the thought of what materials to use to keep pins on bicycle pedals from ripping them.
I already have a pair of heavy waterproof pants that I wear in the winter that don't tear or snag. Companies do make tear resistant clothing but most of it is too heavy for summer use.

I have found a few options from suggestions here but hoping to find some that have air vents on the upper legs and near the waist.

I love how you think tear resistant pants don't exist or how you think you have any right to tell me how to live my life and shop for groceries.

Last edited by Illgot; 04-15-21 at 04:18 AM.
Old 04-15-21, 04:04 AM
Illgot

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
If you don't mind the cost, check out Prana pants. They're very comfortable and, while they don't look it, are stretchy. I use them for hiking and general use (they look pretty good), but they're also very popular with serious rock climbers because of the way they work and toughness.
This looks like what I may be looking for. If they work well I'll probably have them modified with vented pockets. Thanks.
Likes For Illgot:
Old 04-15-21, 04:28 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
I already have a pair of heavy waterproof pants that I wear in the winter that don't tear or snag. Companies do make tear resistant clothing but most of it is too heavy for summer use.

I have found a few options from suggestions here but hoping to find some that have air vents on the upper legs and near the waist.

I love how you think tear resistant pants don't exist or how you think you have any right to tell me how to live my life and shop for groceries.
Also check out companies like Ex Officio and Patagonia for lightweight summer pants. I like the idea that someone mentioned of just simply putting a sturdy cover of some kind over your pedal when you need to walk up stairs and such. Probably way cheaper than a pair of pants, and you can wear what you want.
Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 04-15-21, 04:59 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Like the rest of you. I often shop for groceries by bike.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-15-21, 08:03 AM
prj71

They exist. But I've never seen such a request as this. And if getting groceries with my bike was tearing up my legs...I would just resort to using the car so I only have to carry groceries not groceries plus bike.

https://www.orvis.com/chino-pants-fo...SAAEgJMPPD_BwE

https://workwearcommand.com/ripstop-pants/

https://www.opticsplanet.com/shop/tear-resistant-pants
Old 04-15-21, 03:19 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
I thought the “cover the pedals with socks” was a great suggestion . A bit classier suggestion might be a couple of those promotional can cozies that are made of fabric covered foam-like material. You could store them in the cargo pockets of your pants! Problem solved . (No special pants required!)
While it does seem like some of the replies have been a bit “mean spirited”, I do understand where they might be coming from. You’re experiencing an issue (problem) and appear to be focused on a single solution (pants made of tough fabric) and seemingly unwilling to consider alternative solutions. My wife calls it “pit-bulling” .
I have to say that if I had a bike with pedals that were somehow able to snag fibers out of denim pant legs, I’d be looking for different pedals!
RE: the issue of hauling 50 lbs (bike, gear and groceries) up several flights of stairs, might it not be reasonable to make two trips? Lock your bike outside of the building and take the gear and groceries up to your flat. Unload then go back down for the bike. Again, problem solved.
Dealing with the issues that day to day life throws at us, more so now than ever, requires flexibility of thought as well as action. Just sayin’.
Likes For sovende:
Old 04-16-21, 07:27 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by sovende
RE: the issue of hauling 50 lbs (bike, gear and groceries) up several flights of stairs, might it not be reasonable to make two trips? Lock your bike outside of the building and take the gear and groceries up to your flat. Unload then go back down for the bike. Again, problem solved.
I run for groceries twice a month. I'm betting others run a similar amount of times per month. At that rate...It's easier just to use the car for grocery shopping.
Old 04-16-21, 01:31 PM
Camilo

Originally Posted by Camilo
This looks like what I may be looking for. If they work well I'll probably have them modified with vented pockets. Thanks.
I forgot to add-they're very comfortable in a rage of temps from chilly to hot.
Old 04-16-21, 02:51 PM
fredlord

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Always dangerous to assume...
Old 04-17-21, 02:16 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by stevel610
I bought a pair of these when they were MUSA pants. I still have them 10 years later.

https://www.rivbike.com/products/musa-pants
I have a pair of these MUSA pants also and a set of the older MUSA shorts. I like the long pants, but find the leg holes on the shorts to be a bit wider than I like. I have since changed to a pair of BassPro shop lightweight fishing pants that are a nylon blend and dry very fast, yet have a stretch aspect. On those, all the pockets have zippers. I have found most cargo pants are pretty baggy and require pants clips or velcro bands and I much prefer shorts.

That said, tearing up the legs is why I have never used pedals with pins. I would have to really, really, really, need them to inflict myself with both long pants and potential shredded legs. One look at pinned pedals and I could see great discomfort and very painful long healing due to past leg baseball sliding and biking road rash scars.

I used SPD for a while and now have reverted to back to toe clips and straps with MKS Sylvan Touring Next, a nice wide pedal for my wider feet and use flat bike shoes or sneakers for short test rides or chores.
Old 04-17-21, 08:36 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 239 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill in VA
I have a pair of these MUSA pants also and a set of the older MUSA shorts. I like the long pants, but find the leg holes on the shorts to be a bit wider than I like. I have since changed to a pair of BassPro shop lightweight fishing pants that are a nylon blend and dry very fast, yet have a stretch aspect. On those, all the pockets have zippers.
Thanks. I will check these out. My MUSA's while holding up well are 10 years old.
Old 04-24-21, 09:59 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
I had these pants. Riggs by Western.

Pretty tear resistant. But maybe a little to baggy and might still get caught.

But I think they were carpenter cut, not cargo.

Not especially lightweight. Had just enough synthetic material to be itchy to me.