Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Lemond Buenos Aires 51cm ST/53cm TT

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-21, 09:01 AM
limabeanpastry

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lemond Buenos Aires 51cm ST/53cm TT

Hello all! I'm just getting into cycling and have found vintage bicycles really appealing. I've been browsing Craigslist for a while and came across this Lemond Buenos Aires. The seller is asking for $700 OBO which seems high from what I've read. I would appreciate getting some additional opinions to know where I can find some wiggle room when I see the bike this weekend.

Here is a description of the bike and the link to the listing:
boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bik/d/medford-lemond-buenos-aires-51cm-st/7300485501.html

"It’s a perfect entry-level road bike with 2x10 speed Shimano 105 shifters and rear derailleur and a (brand new) Shimano Tiagra front derailleur. It’s been stripped down completely, cleaned and framesavered, and given a fresh build/tuneup with new Deda Piega handlebars, Nitto Pearl stem, and Cinelli bar tape with new cables and housing throughout. It shifts great and rides straight. The paint is classic and, as with anything that has been used to its full potential, has a nice patina and some minor surface rust from its many adventures, but rest assured it is perfectly sound structurally and all the welds are in great shape with no sign of cracking and no dents."
Old 04-15-21, 09:47 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
It's a 1999 model.

Bikes have different values in different regions..that said..if the frame/drive train is sound and it fits you, it'll be a fine riding bike. The paint..rough. If the paint were near showroom condition (ignoring the non-original components as a plus or a minus) then I'd think $700 is still plenty high...it would depend on the local market and how bad you wanted it. In (my) real world..given the appearance..$450-$500 and I think I'm still being plenty generous. A "feel good" price for me would be in the $400-$450 range..and the paint would bother me enough that'd I'd probably repaint it..which probably wouldn't help nor hurt the value, though that's debatable. Once a bike like this is in this condition (non-original components/drivetrain and garfed up paint with some rust..it becomes a general rider that's valued for what it IS (frame/tubing/components) as opposed to what it WAS and (if in great shape) continues to be.

If you painted it and tuned everything up into a nice looking & riding bike..go out and price what a similar (steel) tubing bike runs new. Your re-painted rider is going to look like a pretty good deal.
Old 04-15-21, 01:54 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,761 Times in 634 Posts
I would say the price is very high for a bike this age with rust. Very nice bike that has been over rebuilt most of the changes upgrades really didn't need to be done yet they didn't bother to deal with the rust which is pretty easy. I would say pass very little chance after the silly amount of work done to this bike the seller would come done $300-400. Yet a great riding bike and good choice for an entry level road bike just the price and build are just not right.