Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Raleigh R600

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-21, 09:27 PM
ArtL33

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Raleigh R600

I just a bought a Raleigh R-600 bike frame. I think it was made in 1998. This will be my first time to build a bike from the frame up. It is only the frame with the headset and fork. I need suggestions on where to start. the bike is 60 cm from the seat tube to the bottom bracket.
Old 04-15-21, 10:41 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
You should take stock on measurements and what parts will fit on the frame. Hub width, Bottom bracket, type of brakes, stem/seat post diameter. The headset, if original, will need a major greasing. Once you have that, you can begin your search for components. Remember that some newer components require specialized tools to install
Old 04-15-21, 11:36 PM
ArtL33

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thx, I've been looking up the specs for the bike. I want to paint the bike a different color. Which is better when removing the paint on a bike doing it my self or paying a pro to do it.
Old 04-16-21, 08:04 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
I think one of my kids has a Raleigh r500 frame for her road bike. It was powdercoated, but im pretty sure that is the frame model. Point is- the bike is completely modern except for headset as its threaded instead of threadless.

Just build your frame up however you want. Nobody here knows how much you want to spend- if you want to spend $300 total, then there isnt much reason for people to suggest $1000 wheels and $1400 groupsets.
Find a groupset you want to use. Find a wheelset that you want to use. Then some bars, a saddle, seatpost, pedals, and tires.
Really the only difficult decision to make is if you want to use a threaded quill stem or if you want to use a conversion that allows you to use a modern stem. The quill stem will look more put together and sleek, but limit your handlebar options. The threadless stem will look less elegant, but opens up a lot of options for handlebars.

As for painting- since the one we have is powdercoated, I would suggest that route. Its hundreds less than paint and it looks better/last longer than a DIY home job.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-16-21, 09:03 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
I had a 1995 R600 and it's basically a modern road bike (they had 105 components so it was pretty good in its time), so it takes standard road rim brake wheels, English bottom bracket, etc. You'll be perfectly fine finding a Claris groupset (or microshift r8, which you could probably find for < $100 and find inexpensive claris front and rear derailleurs and come out around $150). You can get a wheelset for as low as $115 (here https://www.wiggle.com/prime-stagiaire-road-wheelset, of course I can't vouch for the quality). I'd also recommend getting a threadless converter to allow for more flexibility in handlebar/stem combos. All in all, you might be coming in around $400 for everything, if I'm guesstimating correctly.
Old 04-16-21, 10:19 AM
ArtL33

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I appreciate the tips and comments. I am not in any rush to build the bike up. At the same time I don't exactly have a big budget to get top of the line parts so I am going to take my time to find all the components I need that will suit me.
Old 04-16-21, 10:32 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by ArtL33
Thx, I've been looking up the specs for the bike. I want to paint the bike a different color. Which is better when removing the paint on a bike doing it my self or paying a pro to do it.
It all depends on your abilities and the tools you have.