Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Most to least important factors when buying used

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Most to least important factors when buying used

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-24, 09:58 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 1,970 Times in 950 Posts
Best conditioned bike that fits me, its purpose and my budget.
Everything else is secondary.
Old 05-03-24, 10:09 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 148 Posts
Originally Posted by Mother_of_birds
Interesting to hear how different people's priorities are. What about brand name? Does anyone stick exclusively to a particular manufacturer or take into account if any warranty passes to second owner?
I am partial to older 531 frames and intrigued by French bikes.
Old 05-03-24, 12:17 PM
13ollocks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Mother_of_birds
When buying a used bike, you're bound to have to compromise somewhere, so I'm just wondering, what is your personal hierarchy of points when buying used e.g. condition, correct size, colour, components etc... what are you willing to compromise and what is a deal breaker? For example, if you found a bike in mint condition, good price, desired components but it was perhaps a size too big, would the sizing matter more to you than everything else? Or you found one the right size and colour but was SRAM and you're loyal to Shimano XD
It depends on your intentions for the bike - whether you're looking for a "turnkey" ride or as the start of a project. I honestly can't think of a used bike that (for me) wouldn't be the start of a tweaking/upgrading exercise, so I would generally buy for the frame, with the expectation of swapping out many of the components. On that basis, frame size and condition - everything else is negotiable
Old 05-05-24, 05:28 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked 431 Times in 287 Posts
1) Fit and feel. A bike that doesn't fit, or that just doesn't feel right, won't get ridden, so what's the point? (Fit and feel are different things. I've had bikes that fit great, and were of good quality, but felt like garbage when ridden. Intangibles matter.)

2) Frame quality and condition. The frame is the bicycle. Parts is parts.

3) Does this bike fit into a gap in the bikes you already have? The size of that gap, if it exists, isn't necessarily decisive. Sometimes, small differences loom large.

4) Does the bicycle make you want to own it? Never underestimate the power of the gotta... as in, "I gotta have it!" If, to pull an example out of thin air, you've always wanted a copper metallic mid-70s Raleigh International, and you find one in your size at a price you can afford, you buy it. (No, this has not yet happened to me... One can hope.) For us weirdos, bicycles can be lust objects... and that's OK.

Fundamentally, "Because I want to and I can" is all the reason that is required. (Assuming that the bike fits and you enjoy riding it.)

--Shannon
Old 05-05-24, 11:26 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked 1,224 Times in 778 Posts
Actually, your premise of compromises that are needed doesn't apply to me. If I find the size I want, I build up from a frame and fork. It it comes with parts, I use the ones that I want and replace others. Color matters little to none to me.

Buying a complete bike new involves compromises, which is why I rarely (if ever) do that. Saddle, stem, handlebars, gearing, etc. are often not offered exactly as I want them to be.

Last edited by Camilo; 05-06-24 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-08-24, 11:49 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10522 Post(s)
Liked 12,089 Times in 6,190 Posts
Hmmm. In order of priority.

First, it has to "speak to me", meaning it has to be something I'm going to want to ride. A lot.
Second, it has to be something distinguishable from what I already have.
Third, it has to fit. I've tried making a smaller bike fit and was not happy with the results.
Fourth, it has to be either in good enough condition that I don't need to do a lot of work on it, or cheap enough that I don't mind doing the work.

I already have more than enough bikes, so any other bike would have to be something very special for me to even consider it.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 05-12-24, 12:15 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr., Libertas mixte

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 973 Times in 465 Posts
Most important:

1) Frame suitability. Step-through or bust, for me.
2) Frame size. Need a big one.
3) Frame quality, condition and appearance.
4) Cost to acquire and equip.
5) Parts compatibility with current stable.

Least important:

1) Fashionable branding.
2) Aero.
3) Hidden or disguised functionality.
4) Latest/greatest, with some exceptions.
5) Weight reduction extremes.

Not a flipper or collector, ok if others are.

Last edited by Fredo76; 05-12-24 at 12:42 AM. Reason: added least important