Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

CA Bike Fatalities Are On The Rise

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 01-30-20, 06:18 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts

https://khn.org/news/california-bike...-25-year-high/

In California, the 2016-18 rate of such accidents was at its highest for any three-year period since the mid-1990s. Nationally, the three-year death rate was at its highest since the mid-2000s.
Old 01-30-20, 10:02 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
https://khn.org/news/california-bike...-25-year-high/

In California, the 2016-18 rate of such accidents was at its highest for any three-year period since the mid-1990s. Nationally, the three-year death rate was at its highest since the mid-2000s.
Ah, but we haven't reached the mid-2000s yet. We have another 30 years to go to get there. LOL VBEG

Cheers
Old 01-31-20, 10:05 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 521 Posts
I'm not sure why this is classified as news. All over the U.S. something similar is happening and for the same exact reasons. What are we going to do about it?
Old 01-31-20, 12:35 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
The average DEAD cyclist is a helmet wearing MAMIL on a cilly fibre bike, pretending to race in a peleton. FACT.
They likely weren't at fault often, but dead right is still dead. There are more such riders, so that's what you get.
CF bikes DO ASPLODE on impact. NOT good.
My city of a million averages less than 2 fatals a year. Been truck accidents lately. The few I see on the highways are riding single file FRAP on shoulders.
Very few lane HOGS of any sort. The co-op bike club is lamely pushing this UNSAFE practice though...

Last summer I tour rode 3,900 miles in the NW, with NO helmet. I saw ZERO accidents of any sort. In SE Asia I saw or heard a couple dozen. I could just shrug off the few mishaps I had.
Old 01-31-20, 12:53 PM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 166 Posts
What has the number of cyclists done in the same period?
Old 01-31-20, 02:04 PM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by mackgoo
What has the number of cyclists done in the same period?
Nothing. I know where you are going and forget it. Thanks to e-bikes, the number of cyclists is not declining exactly, but accidents have spiked 18% to 33% and there is nothing. Nothing at all like that kind of increase in the number of cyclists riding!
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 01-31-20, 02:14 PM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
The average DEAD cyclist is a helmet wearing MAMIL on a cilly fibre bike, pretending to race in a peleton. FACT.
They likely weren't at fault often, but dead right is still dead. There are more such riders, so that's what you get.
My city of a million averages less than 2 fatals a year. Been truck accidents lately. The few I see on the highways are riding single file FRAP on shoulders.
Very few lane HOGS of any sort. The co-op bike club is lamely pushing this UNSAFE practice though...

Last summer I tour rode 3,900 miles in the NW, with NO helmet. I saw ZERO accidents of any sort. In SE Asia I saw or heard a couple dozen. I could just shrug off the few mishaps I had.
It's not too late to delete this mass of contradiction and misinformation. Seriously, could you possibly get it anymore wrong? Make you a deal: clean this up a bit or I will have to do a line by line rebuttal and it won't be pretty.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 01-31-20, 03:32 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
It's not too late to delete this mass of contradiction and misinformation. Seriously, could you possibly get it anymore wrong? Make you a deal: clean this up a bit or I will have to do a line by line rebuttal and it won't be pretty.

This is a cold day in hell post coming from me, but I encourage you to have at it.
Old 01-31-20, 03:49 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Out walking my dog I see tons of drivers staring at their laps as they drive through the neighborhoods. Usually way above the speed limit. It’s not just the teenagers, it’s 17-70, men & women, pretty evenly distributed. I’d guess the 80yolds don’t have smart phones.
Likes For grizzly59:
Old 02-01-20, 07:53 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
I wonder why the NHTSA used the statistic "# of fatal bike accidents per million residents" as the comparison metric. Since neither the proportion of cyclists nor the amount of participation (i.e. time riding) is uniform within all state populations, this chosen metric doesn't tell the whole story. Rates are generally better than raw numbers, but not much in this case, IMO. Here are the raw numbers for CA courtesy of the NHTSA FIRST System

Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 02-01-20, 09:49 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,939 Times in 4,674 Posts
I think this news release was covered in another thread somewhere on bf. The "data" is meaningless; it would be somewhat more meaningful to report fatalities per million miles ridden, or some other similar stat which measure fatalities relative to the amount of cycling.

Oh, and I'll agree with other posters that this one, below, is a hoot. To the extent that I can even discern the points, they are hogwash.

Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-01-20, 12:21 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 1,041 Posts
A&S Fear Mongering over Bicycling Safety is often based on hoot-able hogwash derived from wacky or biased (mis)interpretations of so-called "data" from "a study" or "a report" clicked and pasted out of context from somewhere on the internet.

That is, when the A&S Fear Mongering is not based on fabricated ½ donkey conclusion about the cause of many if not most bicycling collisions with motor vehicles derived from the posters own anecdotes and WAGs biased to meet the desired conclusion or explanation.

For example see the continual wailing about the fear of the alleged high level of bicycling casualties caused by alleged omnipresent texing drivers, as well as the assumption that texting drivers just must be the cause of most if not every bicycling-automotive collision that can't be pinned to some other driver misdeed.

Prior to the invention of the smart phone, similar patterns of fear mongering based on hoot-able hogwash passed off as conclusions based on "data" was often directed at the alleged threat of bike lanes to the well being of bicyclists.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 02-01-20 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-01-20, 12:43 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
A couple of good posts there. It could be explicitly pointed out, once again, that statistics can be finagled to obfuscate whatever you want. Miles ridden would surely have something to do with fatality rates. More northern states with a shorter cycling season would surely have lower fatality rates than more southern stated.
Old 02-03-20, 05:32 PM
MNebiker

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
Just to add to the hogwash factor:

I recently saw an article that blamed the increase of injury to pedestrians by ebikes on the fact that ebikes are silent . . . .

As compared to those noisy pedal bikes . . . .

Guess I'll have to clip some playing cards on the frame to make noise in the spokes.
Likes For MNebiker:
Old 02-04-20, 07:38 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Just a word of caution here. When you see the word "rate" relative to bicycle accidents, you need to hold it suspect, or at the very least understand the context within which it is used. In order to establish a real "rate" you'd need to know not only how many bicyclists are in the population, you'd also need to know the average exposure hours. In this case they based the "rate" off of the number of residents. To further cast shade on the matter, they admit that their are more cyclists in the overall population than in previous years.

"Alongside the surging popularity of bike shares and fitness cycling in California comes a sobering statistic..."

Maybe that's just me nitpicking the word "rate," but I think it is important to fully understand what the numbers mean. Based on the link, they are dealing with raw fatality numbers. That's really about the best we can do since bicycle accident data isn't well developed.

Last edited by Paul Barnard; 02-04-20 at 07:59 AM.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 02-04-20, 07:54 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by MNebiker
Just to add to the hogwash factor:

I recently saw an article that blamed the increase of injury to pedestrians by ebikes on the fact that ebikes are silent . . . .

As compared to those noisy pedal bikes . . . .

Guess I'll have to clip some playing cards on the frame to make noise in the spokes.

Can you link the article? I'm guessing it's full of howlers like that.
Old 02-04-20, 01:33 PM
MNebiker

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Can you link the article? I'm guessing it's full of howlers like that.
Sorry - it was just something I ran into a few weeks back while searching for something else and I didn't even think it was worth noting the source. I just laughed a bit and went on.

BTW - Regarding injury rates and severity of injury; Here is an article from Reuters that I thought was interesting.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN1YT0MV

Last edited by MNebiker; 02-04-20 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Add reference
Old 02-04-20, 02:47 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by MNebiker
Sorry - it was just something I ran into a few weeks back while searching for something else and I didn't even think it was worth noting the source. I just laughed a bit and went on.

BTW - Regarding injury rates and severity of injury; Here is an article from Reuters that I thought was interesting.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN1YT0MV

Interesting article, and while the escooter pattern is pretty much what i would expect, the higher injury rate for ebikes is a bit surprising. If I had to guess, it's partly a mismatch between speed and skill level. Pedal bicyclists who can maintain 20+ mph have to ride a lot to get and maintain that ability, while anyone can hop on an ebike and start going that fast even if they haven't ridden a bike in decades. That might be a better explanation for hitting more pedestrians than some supposed stealth mode. Also, if ebike riders skew older, they're more likely to break bones when they fall.
Old 02-04-20, 02:52 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts

Same guy that posted a video on youtube boasting about doing 45 on a tour bike?

On a downhill!
Old 02-04-20, 07:02 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
^^^^^^^
And I'm still waiting for somebody riding something faster there. SIX YEARS and counting. LOL hahahahahaha
Sturmey Archer still rules the roads after 117 years. Primitive technology DeFAILeurs, not so much.....
Thanks for the 6 more views. LOL

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 02-06-20 at 01:11 AM.
Likes For GamblerGORD53:
Old 02-05-20, 12:18 PM
Leisesturm

^^^^^^^
And I'm still waiting for somebody riding something faster here. SIX YEARS and counting. LOL hahahahahaha
Sturmey Archer still rules the roads after 117 years. Primitive technology DeFAILeurs, not so much.....
Thanks for the 6 more views. LOL
I blame myself. I let life get in the way and prevent me from debunking your earlier post in its entirety. Now you come out with this. Defaileurs ... really. The default derailleur topology is a front double with 8/9/10/11 ... 12(!) speed rear end. Done right you can have 14 or more unique ratios for under $100 and up. There are still many, many triple front ends with the same rear configuration in use. Sturmey Archer tops out at ... 8 speeds? Retail price? Weight? Seriously? 1x8. "Medieval Jim, absolutely Medieval". The 14 sp Rohloff costs more than full carbon hybrid 2 x 8's. And until 28 mph Class 3 e-assists came along to strike up the Fear and Loathing in the Luddite Fringe of Cycling Humanity I read post after post (especially in the Tandem threads) recounting supra 45 mph explorations. Now anything over 15mph is regarded with horror and shock. And scorn ... shame ... censure. It's all getting to be a bit much. I am far from ready to retire my heart and lungs to decay and degeneration, but a Trek Allant+ 8s is one sweet bike. I want one. But I may have to settle for a Juiced Bikes CCS2. It is a mistake to think that e-assist equals the end of aerobic capacity. E-assist increases the distance(s) and/or speed(s) that you can cover using your existing level of fitness. How can that be a bad thing? Lead, Follow, or Get Out of the Way ...
Old 02-05-20, 01:17 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
So, is California trying to catch up with Florida? I think they're still way behind!

One of the confounding issues is the difficulty to count bicycles, and the more bicycles, the more accidents.

I've found it difficult to find good data about individual accidents.

My belief was that the average dead cyclist were the commuters that don't bother with safety gear, lights, etc. Perhaps not a lot of road experience.

Of course, the cyclists that do "training" put a lot of miles on the road.
Old 02-06-20, 09:41 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly59
Out walking my dog I see tons of drivers staring at their laps as they drive through the neighborhoods. Usually way above the speed limit. It’s not just the teenagers, it’s 17-70, men & women, pretty evenly distributed. I’d guess the 80yolds don’t have smart phones.
Anybody who cares to LOOK will see the same. Few motorists are paying attention to the task at hand.