Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is this an immediate problem? Spoke advice.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-20, 05:34 PM
mattscq

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts

I'm not sure when this happened. I've never had a crash with this wheelset but I guess I rolled over a big-ish pothole a few days ago but other than a spook, I thought it was nothing. I noticed this just as I was taking the wheel off today. Ideally this would be fixed, but given the current situation with bike stores swamped and service times being questionable, I wonder if this is a priority. Will it get worse? Can I fix it myself? Will a mechanic likely just swap out the 2-3 bent spokes or could they be bent back?

Just wanted to get some ideas.

Thanks

Old 05-14-20, 05:54 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Stainless Steel spokes, right? Do the spokes have the same tone as the rest when plucked? Wheel still true?
Old 05-14-20, 06:13 PM
illdrag0n

Bikes: 2014 Focus Mares AX 2.0, 2019 Cube Litening C:62 Race Disc Teamline

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 68 Posts
Yep looks like the aerolites have bent. You'll have a weak spot there that may compromise strength of the spoke and will pop at some point or another.

I'd be checking the wheel is true (hold a plastic tyre lever 1mm from the rim, use the seat stay for stability, and spin). It should wobble side to side, but it may not (i had ER1600 that was missing 1 spoke and still span <1mm tolerance).

There's also a minor risk the rim is buckled, maybe tiny ovalisation of the rim shape itself.

You're best off having a wheel builder replace the spokes and check tolerances accross the wheel. Also avoiding pot holes helps haha
Old 05-14-20, 08:03 PM
mattscq

Yeah, they should be stainless. I'll probably just call a shop tomorrow to see if they can take a look. I wonder how it happened. It's interesting that nothing else seemed to have broken and I didn't even noticed it until now.
Old 05-14-20, 08:08 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
If the wheel is straight and true and the spokes don't have any physical cuts or similar damage then it isn't something to worry about. With those spokes it looks more like you caught a branch or something rather then hit a pothole. I'd actually be seriously worried about a rim if the impact with a pothole could bend the spokes as they'll simply move into the rim rather then bend with enough compression at the rim. I suspect these can't be due to that. But unless they're creased or the metal is somehow damaged the elbow is still typically the weakest point and a minor bend isn't much to worry about.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 05-14-20, 08:14 PM
mattscq

Thanks for that reply. You make a good point Russ Roth . I'll just try to get them swapped out as soon as I can since I think it's a relatively inexpensive fix.

I have noticed that every since getting more into road cycling, and getting my first actual road bike, it's been a bunch of little costs here and there. I wonder if I'm just worrying more about things or if I'm just riding more, or both?

How often do you guys find that you have little issues come up now and again?
Old 05-14-20, 08:22 PM
illdrag0n

Bikes: 2014 Focus Mares AX 2.0, 2019 Cube Litening C:62 Race Disc Teamline

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by mattscq
Thanks for that reply. You make a good point Russ Roth . I'll just try to get them swapped out as soon as I can since I think it's a relatively inexpensive fix.

I have noticed that every since getting more into road cycling, and getting my first actual road bike, it's been a bunch of little costs here and there. I wonder if I'm just worrying more about things or if I'm just riding more, or both?

A lot at first. After learning very quickly how to fix things myself and perform preventative maintenance, it's been a lot less.
Old 05-14-20, 08:31 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
I had a guy stick his handle bar into my rear wheel while at a stoplight and it bent a couple spokes. It's a bike I don't use much but they're still on there years later. I'll just leave them until the wheel breaks, they all do eventually.
Old 05-14-20, 08:44 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
I find my bikes to be largely trouble and maintenance free on the whole, doesn't mean there isn't the occasional need to use an adjuster barrel to tweak how far I have to pull the brake lever till the brakes work or a light turn of the der adjusters to keep it shifting smoothly but nothing serious for thousands of miles.
People do fret about road bike equipment thinking its all delicate but as long as you don't try to just plow on through bad situations the stuff won't break.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 05-14-20, 09:51 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
If the wheel is straight and true and the spokes don't have any physical cuts or similar damage then it isn't something to worry about. With those spokes it looks more like you caught a branch or something rather then hit a pothole. I'd actually be seriously worried about a rim if the impact with a pothole could bend the spokes as they'll simply move into the rim rather then bend with enough compression at the rim. I suspect these can't be due to that. But unless they're creased or the metal is somehow damaged the elbow is still typically the weakest point and a minor bend isn't much to worry about.
I agree with this. It's easy to bend spokes this way. I've only ever done it with straight gauge round spokes.
Old 05-15-20, 12:13 AM
mattscq

Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
I agree with this. It's easy to bend spokes this way. I've only ever done it with straight gauge round spokes.
So is the general consensus (at least amongst you two) that barring any damage to the rim or actually snapped spokes, I likely caught a branch or something being kicked up from the road (I vaguely recall hearing a loud snag once now), that these 2 bent spokes is mostly cosmetic and I should be fine to ride it until I can get them replaced (probably between now and a few weeks)?
Old 05-15-20, 01:29 AM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by mattscq

There are consumables in cycling. Chains wear out and need replacing when they've "stretched" enough (which is actually due to wear, not physical stretching), cassettes and chainrings wear out, tires wear out, tubes get patched until you say "eff it" and just use a new tube, at some point you may feel inspired to replace your bar tape, etc.

Many folks believe you just buy a bike and that's it, but those people either don't ride enough to notice things wearing out, or just ride until something finally breaks, and that's when they learn. In my case, I never knew growing up that bike chains wear out to a point where they should be replaced even though they haven't broken. I learned this after I actually snapped a heavily worn chain on my mountain bike (many thousands of road miles on it), and by then the cassette and large chainring were gone too. Did some reading, learned my lesson, etc.

Yeah, you buy a bike, it may or may not cost a lot, but if you ride it enough there will be expenses.

I think this spoke issue is a perfect opportunity for you to figure out what spokes you have and what length they are, buy a couple replacements, some replacement rim tape, etc. and figure out how to do it yourself. Depending on your personality, it can be very satisfying doing the mechanic work yourself. I enjoy it. Just this week I replaced my 50t chainring with a 46t and upgraded my Ultegra bushing jockey wheels with Dura Ace ball bearing jockey wheels. I've got parts on order for a new wheel build (just the front this time, not a full set), and I've got a new handlebar and am just waiting on a couple parts that will go on it before I swap that out. I enjoy it.

Last edited by SethAZ; 05-15-20 at 01:33 AM.
Old 05-15-20, 04:38 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I’d bend them back to straight best as I could, touch up the spoke tension as required. Then ride. Possibly source replacements to have at hand when/if failure eventually occurs. It might be a long wait.
Old 05-15-20, 06:06 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I had a guy stick his handle bar into my rear wheel while at a stoplight and it bent a couple spokes. It's a bike I don't use much but they're still on there years later. I'll just leave them until the wheel breaks, they all do eventually.
Really tall wheels or his handlebars were really low?
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 05-15-20, 08:07 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Really tall wheels or his handlebars were really low?
Thanks for the laugh! He was falling over, actually.
Old 05-15-20, 11:01 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
I’d bend them back to straight best as I could, touch up the spoke tension as required. Then ride. Possibly source replacements to have at hand when/if failure eventually occurs. It might be a long wait.
Dito.
Old 05-15-20, 11:04 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 439 Posts
I'd simply replace this spoke. If you know how to do it, do it. Just make sure you that the end result is your wheel straight & strong. You don't want to mess with structural integrity.