Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Researching to buy a decent bike for road and gravel

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Old 06-16-19, 08:09 PM
Ryobi

Bikes: an old 1980 Nishiki Rally

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I went to LBS and the guy came up with Revolt Advanced 2 based on my needs.
He also suggested to have two set of tyres, one for road biking and one for gravel?
I am looking to buy a bike that would be so to say, my ultimate bike. I need advice as to what other bike models I should look into.
I usually make a mistake by not going for the best option and taking care of foreseeable future needs. (case in point, my camera and my target practice equipment) Don't want to make that mistake again.
If any one could advise me a structure for my research, based on their own experience, would be much appreciated.
Old 06-18-19, 06:13 PM
chiefsilverback

Bikes: (N+1) - 1

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
At that price point you’ve got a lot of options, Cannondale, Specialized, Trek etc...

Personally I’m very tempted by the Topstone 105, but I’m not in the market to buy this year, so hopefully by next spring Cannondale will have moved to the new GRX groupset?
Old 05-28-20, 09:30 AM
DaytonaDreamin

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just recently bought a 2o2o Topstone Sora with the Sora Groupset. It’s a decent beginners bike that is good for gravel and road. You can also switch out the rims/tires combo to fit your need. Eventually, I will upgrade the Components to a better one than the Sora but for the price point and the color, it’s a win.

For the record, I’m new to the bike world and originally I got a Miyata CT3000 on craigslist for a good price. That was 2 month ago. I wanted something a little modern and after talking and researching knew that a gravel bike was what I wanted. Found a Topstone Sora for a great price and after reading reviews on it...it was perfect for my needs.

Good luck on finding a bike that’s right for you. Go and try out the bikes that you want. For me, I knew I wanted a Cannondale.
Old 05-28-20, 05:38 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
That a nice bike, reasonably priced and equipped. Issue is what can you test ride ?, do you have a road bike now ? and as the Chief said, there are a lot of options at that price point. Curious how much will you be riding on dirt/gravel ? You are in north central NJ, are there a lot of paths and gravel you expect to explore ?.

I use a Cannondale Topstone 105, same frame as Daytona’s bike. It’s aluminum as this met my price point as a 2nd bike. I purchased a compete 2nd wheel system, including disc rotors and cassette, so as to be a 1 minute swap between the gravel wheel and tire set and the road set. I also use this bike for commuting so this setup is about as flexible as you get. It’s MUCH more work if you you only have one set of wheels and want you swap tires.

OH and as BTW. I wish you well finding a bike. My local shop looks like they are half to moving or something, at least 30%-40% their floor stock is sold. I have NEVER seen them cleaned out like now. Buying a bike now is what buying toilet paper was like late March.

Last edited by Steve B.; 05-28-20 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-30-20, 05:41 AM
jsilvia

Bikes: Trek Multitrac 750. Scott Addict . Motobacane La Champion Trek Crossrip, Scott Scale 925 mountain Bike Centry

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 35 Posts
Same at my LBS, the store is half empty. They never sold so many bikes this quick. They can not get new stock in,
Old 05-30-20, 09:20 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryobi
I went to LBS and the guy came up with Revolt Advanced 2 based on my needs. He also suggested to have two set of tyres, one for road biking and one for gravel?

I am looking to buy a bike that would be so to say, my ultimate bike. I need advice as to what other bike models I should look into.

I usually make a mistake by not going for the best option and taking care of foreseeable future needs. (case in point, my camera and my target practice equipment) Don't want to make that mistake again.

If any one could advise me a structure for my research, based on their own experience, would be much appreciated.

FWIW, I have previously posted about my buying strategy, with personal recommendations:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
"Newbie in need of your bicycle wisdom"

FWIW as decades-long lifestyle cyclist (touring, year-round urban commuting and road cycling) I have posted my basic buying strategy, and a specific recommendation from personal experience, IMO consistent with the advice of @TiHabanero:
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
If someone walks into the shop I work at on Saturdays, and provides me this exact description and nothing more, I will point to three bikes. Mountain bike, hybrid, and comfort bike.

None of them with top of the line features as it is a transportation bike and general riding around town bike. All very suitable for the job as described. Entry level rider looking for a commuter bike and some city riding to boot. Nothing serious, no intent of long distance days.

One really does not need to spend a wallet full of cash to acquire a bike that will do this job.Cannondale, Giant, Trek, Specialized are the 4 big names. There are plenty of others to choose from as well.

Select the shop first. Which shop do you have the best relationship? Which one are you most comfortable? Which one is not feeding you BS?
To add to that good, general basic advice,
Originally Posted by fietsbob
# 1, choose a Bike Shop you like, then (2) tell them about what your riding plans are...

(3) test ride some bikes they have...
"Help with choosing a bike."...

My shopping strategy for something important is to look at the high end (expensive) models first, just to know what’s available and then whittle downwards to find what’s acceptable, the so-called sweet spot of price/value.
Whenever I’m asked about buying a bike my questions are what do you want it for, and how much to spend?

IMO bikes of similar quality by brand names stratify in groups of about approximately $US 200 intervals.
"Help with choosing a bike."

...Now here’s where I’m coming from. I have described myself as a decades-long, year-round lifestyle cyclist, and my favored bike is a high-end carbon fiber bike costing thousands of dollars...

I also have a aluminum beater road bike costing about $1500, and for me that was a minimal road bike, to be used in bad weather.

FWIW, I also have a Giant Escape hybrid bike that I recently bought for rehabilitation, because I was having trouble with my neck and shoulders riding the drop bars.

That bike cost about $600, and IMO was a good value as an all-round bike, certainly more amenable to off-road riding than my expensive carbon fiber road bike, and sturdy for my urban commute on the mean streets of Boston.
Old 05-30-20, 10:46 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryobi
He also suggested to have two set of tyres, one for road biking and one for gravel?
I am looking to buy a bike that would be so to say, my ultimate bike.
I have the bike you're looking for.

Cannondale SuperX. It's a CX with hydro disc brakes and it came with 35mm knobby tires

I replaced the 44cm bars with 42cm bars. I replaced the stock saddle with a spare road bike saddle I had. I purchased a second set of wheels and mounted 32mm tubeless all weather tires.

It's my winter/foul weather bike and can easily handle anything on the road and any dirt/gravel trail.

Old 05-30-20, 06:03 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by GlennR
I

I replaced the 44cm bars with 42cm bars.
Glenn, PM sent about these bars

Edit: Or not. Your profile cannot receive PM’s.

Do you want to sell the 44’s and are the adventure/gravel bars with a sweep ?

Last edited by Steve B.; 05-30-20 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-30-20, 06:43 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Glenn, PM sent about these bars

Edit: Or not. Your profile cannot receive PM’s.

Do you want to sell the 44’s and are the adventure/gravel bars with a sweep ?
If you want them, come by with whatever you feel is fair.

Old 05-30-20, 07:41 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by GlennR
If you want them, come by with whatever you feel is fair.

Thx for the quick reply. Will pass as they are not the same design that my Topstone uses, which has a flair to the drops.

But thank you for the pics as well.

SB
Old 05-30-20, 07:42 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

No problem, i'll put them back on the nail it was hung on.
Old 06-01-20, 03:50 PM
OldGlory

Bikes: Cervelo S3; Factor LS; Flat Bar Lauf Anywhere; Trek Farley 9.6

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
Check out Lauf Anywhere

https://www.laufcycling.com/product/lauf-anywhere
Old 06-01-20, 05:37 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by OldGlory
Thanks for the link.

Curious though why I would want to spend $220 for a carbon handlebar ?, that weighs 250 grams, when I can buy 6 FSA Adventure bars for $36 each, in aluminum at 320 grams, a whopping 2.4 oz. difference.

Just sayin'.
Old 06-01-20, 06:17 PM
OldGlory

Thanks for the link.

Curious though why I would want to spend $220 for a carbon handlebar ?, that weighs 250 grams, when I can buy 6 FSA Adventure bars for $36 each, in aluminum at 320 grams, a whopping 2.4 oz. difference.

Just sayin'.
I was responding to the Original Poster who was looking for Gravel Bike suggestions. The link is to the Lauf Anywhere, a full bike nor just bars.
Old 06-01-20, 06:42 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by OldGlory
I was responding to the Original Poster who was looking for Gravel Bike suggestions. The link is to the Lauf Anywhere, a full bike nor just bars.
Apologies, the thread got taken in a tangent when I asked Glenn about bars. Note that the OP was a actually about a year ago, then resurrected last Thursday by Daytona,
Old 06-01-20, 06:53 PM
OldGlory

Apologies, the thread got taken in a tangent when I asked Glenn about bars. Note that the OP was a actually about a year ago, then resurrected last Thursday by Daytona,
Ha Ha no worries...I should have looked at the date.